Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2107007 - 06/24/13 12:16 AM Barber Nocturne Op. 33 - Has anyone played this piece
JessicaB Offline

I just heard a recording of it, and it is absolutely beautiful. I am wondering what the biggest challenges in playing it are. Are there any particular editions that you can recommend?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2107023 - 06/24/13 02:02 AM Re: Barber Nocturne Op. 33 - Has anyone played this piece [Re: JessicaB]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I believe that Schirmer holds the copyright for Barber's music; that's the edition I have of the work, and I don't know of any other that is available.

I haven't studied the piece, but I don't see any great difficulties just reading through it. There are lots of accidentals throughout, giving it quite a chromatic sound, so just getting the notes requires more attention than it does for works of the Romantic and Classical periods; in other words, it not an easy sight-reading exercise because of the unexpected accidentals and key changes.

The cadenza needs, perhaps, a little bit of work to get it into the fingers.

Perhaps the greatest difficulty is an interpretive one; this Nocturne requires special attention on the part of the performer to portray a sense of forward movement and structure. In some hands, it might risk sounding just a little static and no more than a series of notes - but perhaps that can be said of almost any work not interpreted well.

Regards,

#2107516 - 06/24/13 11:09 PM Re: Barber Nocturne Op. 33 - Has anyone played this piece [Re: JessicaB]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
JessicaB, I hope that the recording you heard was the one by John Browning: It's exquisite!

I'm glad that you're interested in this piece. I haven't heard it performed in a while - maybe 10 years, or so.

I studied the piece as a grad student. Looking back, I probably played it like a junior high school student(!): A bit too heavy handed, perhaps; lacking the sense of delicacy for the pianissimo passages - and making too much of the 3 or 4 RH phrases that are pronounced with quarter and duple 8th notes.

The dynamic scheme means a lot, IMO. Please note that there are a couple of sections where the LH is marked p, as the RH is marked mF or F. You might want to get a grasp of the dynamic scheme as it is laid out through the entire piece - even before you start to think about characterizing and shaping the various phrases.

The word Nocturne conjures up the music of Chopin, of course. But in this piece I hear a lot of Liszt (and some Rachmaninoff, too). The "Homage" in the title is probably more like a "tip of the hat" to John Field.

Enjoy the work on it!

#2107540 - 06/24/13 11:54 PM Re: Barber Nocturne Op. 33 - Has anyone played this piece [Re: JessicaB]
IanW Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
The Piano Syllabus app (on Google Play here http://bit.ly/12cwFpj) shows the AMEB including this piece in its Licentiate progam (its highest level) while the RCM includes it in the Associate Diploma syllabus (2nd highest level). Both show the Schirmer edition. There's also a YouTube link as follows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ3CEOrjxow&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#2107687 - 06/25/13 08:49 AM Re: Barber Nocturne Op. 33 - Has anyone played this piece [Re: JessicaB]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

One comment that I will make -- in much of Barber's music, the sense of song, and more specifically the gestures of an operatic aria for soprano, is vitally important. Like his late Ballade, I believe the Nocturne needs to sound like an operatic aria; and, in fact, that brings it close to several Nocturnes of Frederic Chopin, who also was enamored with bel canto opera (This, in spite of the fact that Barber dedicated his piece to John Field, the "inventor" of the Nocturne). Compare Barber's piece to Chopin's 27-1, which for me has a strong suggestion of an operatic scene. In broad terms, that is how I would approach this Nocturne, making sure NOT to get lost in all the exquisite chromatic filigree that abounds, particularly in the dramatic middle section.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (ando, Abby Pianoman, anotherscott, Alex75001, 41 invisible), 1356 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157086 Topics
2306871 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
53 minutes 23 seconds ago
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
Today at 01:37 AM
Toccata Boogie -- piano solo
by Axtremus
Today at 01:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission