Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2107690 - 06/25/13 08:57 AM seeking input about DPs
maire8 Offline

I'm an adult in my 30s and I've taken piano lessons on and off over the years (high school, college, early adulthood), and probably only progressed to the "late beginner" stage of proficiency. I've been wanting to get back to it for a long time and feel like I'm in a good place now for doing so. I have a Casio keyboard of some type (circa 2003 or so) that I used to practice on way back, but I'd like to get a digital piano that more closely recreates the acoustic experience (though I'm aware that it will not be "the same" as playing on an acoustic). So here's what I'm looking for in a digital piano:

- 88 keys
- weighted key action that's "good" (as close to acoustic key action as possible for the price)
- ability to connect to lesson software (whether I choose to go that route for the bulk of my learning or just use it to supplement my lessons with a "live" teacher is up in the air at this point, but I'd like to have that option)
- ability to connect to computer for recording, mixing, or whatever (I'm obviously totally clueless about that whole thing but I'd be interested in exploring/playing around with that)
- under $1500

Any recommendations based on those parameters? I've been looking online at the Casio Px 780 and 850, but I'm unclear as to whether they can work with lesson software.

Thanks in advance for any help! So glad I discovered this forum - so much great info here.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2107696 - 06/25/13 09:07 AM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Lesson software..... you're not talking synthesia are you?

Anyway most stuff made for a long time now has a midi port or a USB port.

The only slight change is a new MIDI standard which the new PX series will have.

My Win7 PC recognises my CDP200 off the bat and it first came out around 2008. It recognises my LK240 which is 2007 tech.

#2107950 - 06/25/13 04:40 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
maire8 Offline

Haven't heard of Synthesia - so no. I was just reading about a bunch of different types - Piano Marvel, Playground Sessions, etc. I don't have my eyes set on any one of them really, I just know they are an option that could be helpful.

Thanks for the info. I thought I had read (somewhere on the web) someone talking about how a certain Casio didn't have MIDI or something - and again, I'm clueless about that aspect of piano playing currently, so I wanted to make sure. Maybe they were talking about an older model.

Also - neither Casio comes up on Musician's Friend when I filter the digital pianos by "MIDI in/out."

#2108025 - 06/25/13 06:27 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2108075 - 06/25/13 07:49 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: dmd]
maire8 Offline

Thanks. Is this a recommendation?

#2108091 - 06/25/13 08:15 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: maire8

Thanks. Is this a recommendation?

If I was in the market for a digital piano I would probably go for it myself. I am considering it even though I already have one. Other than that, I have no first-hand knowledge of that digital piano.

If you read about it here and other places you will find it gets pretty good reviews.

I am simply trying to help you shorten the decision making cycle and get started playing something. You can agonize about "which digital piano to buy" for weeks and months and in the end you will probably get the one I suggested or one that is very similar. There are many many options. The one I suggested appears to be as good or better than most.

Edited by dmd (06/25/13 08:18 PM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2108123 - 06/25/13 09:29 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: dmd]
maire8 Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd

I am simply trying to help you shorten the decision making cycle and get started playing something. You can agonize about "which digital piano to buy" for weeks and months

Ain't that the truth. Darn internet - making life easier in so many ways, but also complicating it by allowing us to explore infinite choices!

Thanks again.

#2108190 - 06/26/13 01:20 AM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
As a PX-350 owner:

. . . It would be a reasonable choice for what you want to do.

It has MIDI in/out ports, a USB connection (which can be used as a simulated MIDI in/out port), and Line In/Out jacks.

The keyboard action is reasonable. Any digipiano with better action (and they exist) costs considerably more. [That list is for another post . . . ) Judging "better action" is somewhat subjective. I don't like the Yamaha GHS (P105) action, but others do. I _do_ like the Yamaha GH action, which is in the P155.

If the lesson software runs through MIDI ports (that's how I would design it), it should run on most anything. You could either get a MIDI-to-USB adapter ($30 or so) for the computer, or use the PX-350's USB port, a USB-to-USB cable, and appropriate drivers on the computer.

. Charles

PS -- the PX-150 is (IMHO) a stripped-down version of the PX-350. No auto-accompaniment, a much smaller set of voices, limited (no?) rhythms. It has the same keyboard mechanism, and it shares some of the good 'grand piano' voices. I don't know about MIDI and line in/out -- check the specs. About $200 cheaper.

#2108268 - 06/26/13 08:44 AM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: maire8
I thought I had read (somewhere on the web) someone talking about how a certain Casio didn't have MIDI or something - and again, I'm clueless about that aspect of piano playing currently, so I wanted to make sure. Maybe they were talking about an older model.

Also - neither Casio comes up on Musician's Friend when I filter the digital pianos by "MIDI in/out."

Erm there has been change over time from MIDI ports to MIDI via USB ports, some of the higher end stuff like the Roland RD700NX has both MIDI and USB ports. It is cheaper to stick a USB port rather than both so my Casios have only had USB ports.

I'm assuming you're in the US, if so take a look at the Yam P155 it is MUCH cheaper in the US than Europe as my beef with the PX series other than the 850 is that the sustain isn't continuous, you can set the half point but then it has 3 values.

My own personal problem was when I went over to an acoustic for a short time on a loan piano. I would simply press the sustain and keep it there, which works ok on digitals, less so on acoustics. It took me a bit of time to adjust. Now my loan piano has gone back I'm having trouble adjusting back.

#2108353 - 06/26/13 12:18 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Try the Roland RP-301. I don't know why everybody hear is forgetting about this instrument. Beware: that are two version of this piano which differs a lot in price both available in stores.

Also I checked the Sweetwated just to check the US prices and the have the Roland FP-50 fot 1500 with 0% installments.

Just the top of your price view.

#2108472 - 06/26/13 02:57 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
One more thing worthwhile mentioning, about the Casios PX-???. Many of them have a USB port for recording straight to a USB key, and playing it back on the piano. Without the intervention of a computer.

At least the PX-350, PX-750 and PX-850 have this option, not sure about other models.

I'm wondering if it's possible (a question actually) to copy a .wav file to the USB stick, for example a rhythm you can find online or have from a DVD or CD, and play it on the piano. Such a feature could replace built-in rhythms and accompaniments, many DPs have.

Casio probably has some special version of the WAV format, so you can't just play any WAV-file you want to.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2108479 - 06/26/13 03:07 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

You should ask Mike Martin, he is Casio representative on these boards.

#2108489 - 06/26/13 03:21 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Thanks for the suggestion justpin, I might do that. Will wait though for a few days, if he should stumble on this discussion. I've noticed he's been answering questions here on PW.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2108678 - 06/26/13 08:01 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
maire8 Offline

Thanks for the great info, everyone! You've helped me to narrow my focus a bit in my search.

Since the PX350 is getting recommended a lot in this thread - can anyone tell me what the differences are between that and the PX780 and PX850?

#2108757 - 06/26/13 10:07 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: maire8]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Casio has a fork in the upgrade path:

. . . The PX-780 is a PX-350 (full set of voices, with
. . . arranger features) with a cabinet, and upgraded
. . . loudspeakers and amps.

. . . The PX-850 is (roughly speaking) a PX-150 with upgraded
. . . sound generator (including string resonance and
. . . I think continuous half-pedalling), and upgraded
. . . loudspeakers and amps.

So if you want a PX-350 in a cabinet, with a PX-850 upgraded sound generator, loudspeakers, and amps --

. . . . that model doesn't exist. Not yet.

I have some thoughts about that fork, but they're unprintable. Maybe the engineers just ran out of CPU power -- but the PX-5S has loads of goodies inside.

. Charles

PS -- Mike Martin has a recent post about this question -- try Google.

#2108792 - 06/26/13 11:28 PM Re: seeking input about DPs [Re: Charles Cohen]
maire8 Offline

Thanks, Charles - very helpful!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Today at 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
Today at 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
Today at 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
Today at 02:28 PM
Who's Online
116 registered (A Guy, ajames, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1352 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326203 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission