Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (Albunea, ando, Anita Potter, anotherscott, Anne'sson, 36251, 29 invisible), 1185 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2107416 - 06/24/13 07:21 PM Summer bliss - you've got to try this!
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I just received my schedule for this year's Victoria Conservatory of Music's Summer Piano Academy. It runs Monday through Friday for 2 weeks...probably the best 2 weeks of my entire year:

Daily Master class - one hour.

Daily Chopin Master class - one hour, - Chopin's etudes and preludes.

Daily Russian Repertoire - one hour.

Daily noontime practice recitals - all students are encouraged to perform.

Daily "Keys to Better Memory" - one hour.

I've scheduled 5 private lessons which are scattered over the 2 weeks. There will be plenty of practice time on the worn Boston uprights. There are piano recitals on 9 of the 10 evenings including one in which Michelle Mares will perform all of Chopin's opus 25 etudes. Some recitals are for students like me and others are by performing faculty.

I'm usually staggering with exhaustion but the end of the two weeks but this will be my 5th summer attending and I am so excited, I can hardly wait.

@BruceD I hope we are sharing some classes.

Deborah

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#2107480 - 06/24/13 09:42 PM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: gooddog]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Deborah :

See my PM.

Regards,

#2107747 - 06/25/13 11:15 AM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: gooddog]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
I've had the UVIC piano site bookmarked for a year now and am carefully looking at this for summer 2014. The dates work well and I have a free place to stay but am wondering if, as an adult, one needs to attend for the full two weeks? (I have other major volunteer commitments during July and can't commit to being away for 2 weeks without other obligations dragging.) I'm also (very) curious what kind/size/level of repertory one prepares? Pics and impressions are always be appreciated and good luck!

#2107752 - 06/25/13 11:26 AM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: wower]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wower
I've had the UVIC piano site bookmarked for a year now and am carefully looking at this for summer 2014. The dates work well and I have a free place to stay but am wondering if, as an adult, one needs to attend for the full two weeks? (I have other major volunteer commitments during July and can't commit to being away for 2 weeks without other obligations dragging.) I'm also (very) curious what kind/size/level of repertory one prepares? Pics and impressions are always be appreciated and good luck!
Yes, several adults attend for only one week, usually the 2nd one. They accept all skill levels and will place you in the appropriate level master class. Some classes may have kids (really nice ones) in them. Usually, they would like you to have one piece of any level ready to perform and several you are working on. You are not required to perform. The music is strictly classical as most students are using the Celebration Series books. Comfortable and affordable dorm accommodations are available on the UVic campus where the program takes place.

Deborah

#2107849 - 06/25/13 02:09 PM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: gooddog]
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Hi Deborah,

I would say 'mostly' classical? I've heard a few pop standards performed in a masterclass two years ago and it wasn't 'verboten'.

One added benefit is that I can now say to my friends: 'This one time, at piano camp.' wink

#2107864 - 06/25/13 02:25 PM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: gooddog]
wower Offline

I was a bit bashful the other day when explaining my interest in the program to a friend describing it as UVIC's "summer piano workshops". I'm totally fine with the program being classically focus. I hope to bring some Bach WTC and Chopin Nocturnes with the pièce de résistance Christopher O'Riley's Radiohead transcription of "Subterranean Homesick Alien" which if I can get it under the fingers and up to speed in the next year should be a real roarer on a full grand.

#2107908 - 06/25/13 03:56 PM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: Vid]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Vid
Hi Deborah,

I would say 'mostly' classical? I've heard a few pop standards performed in a masterclass two years ago and it wasn't 'verboten'.
Hi Vid. You are correct. I guess I should have been clearer. All the students who attend seem to be taking formal lessons elsewhere and most follow the formal Canadian program.

Vid, I'm glad will be there. I've got Kelly's 8:30 a.m. master class. What about you?

@wower If you love being surrounded by other music lovers in a non-competitive, friendly atmosphere, you won't be disappointed. The teachers are top notch and they go out of their way to make everyone feel special.

Deborah

#2108092 - 06/25/13 08:15 PM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: gooddog]
wower Offline

I have pretty much zero competitiveness in me - except perhaps against myself. (I'm my own worse enemy.) Hence all my volunteer commitments; which I have absolutely no problem giving the best of myself (and boy will Calgary need it in the weeks to come). And I think I'd be a great addition to the campus with always a quick word of encouragement close at hand. And I'm not super ambitious. I'm not there to attack the Liszt Bmin Sonata. That's for others to try. I wonder if you could expand on your experiences with the teachers there? I think that is one of the most attractive and stimulating parts of the workshops; the ability to work with not one but several teachers. Also, please share what pieces you're preparing if possible. (I'm too curious.)

edit: forgot to mention, I think one of my main objectives is to celebrate one of the most awesome instruments on the planet: the piano.

Edited by wower (06/25/13 08:22 PM)
Edit Reason: pft

#2108116 - 06/25/13 08:59 PM Re: Summer bliss - you've got to try this! [Re: gooddog]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

wower, I'll send you a PM.

Deborah

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P105 or P45?
by FormulaGoat
05/24/15 02:00 AM
piano above the garage door
by yulinxp
05/24/15 01:18 AM
How Much are Modern Piano Recordings Digitally Edited?
by Scriabin67
05/24/15 01:02 AM
Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget
by AnastasiaT
05/24/15 12:04 AM
7-year-old on metronome practice
by hreichgott
05/23/15 11:54 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,393 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,297 Topics
2,409,825 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission