2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I just received my schedule for this year's Victoria Conservatory of Music's Summer Piano Academy. It runs Monday through Friday for 2 weeks...probably the best 2 weeks of my entire year:

Daily Master class - one hour.

Daily Chopin Master class - one hour, - Chopin's etudes and preludes.

Daily Russian Repertoire - one hour.

Daily noontime practice recitals - all students are encouraged to perform.

Daily "Keys to Better Memory" - one hour.

I've scheduled 5 private lessons which are scattered over the 2 weeks. There will be plenty of practice time on the worn Boston uprights. There are piano recitals on 9 of the 10 evenings including one in which Michelle Mares will perform all of Chopin's opus 25 etudes. Some recitals are for students like me and others are by performing faculty.

I'm usually staggering with exhaustion but the end of the two weeks but this will be my 5th summer attending and I am so excited, I can hardly wait.

@BruceD I hope we are sharing some classes.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Deborah :

See my PM.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I've had the UVIC piano site bookmarked for a year now and am carefully looking at this for summer 2014. The dates work well and I have a free place to stay but am wondering if, as an adult, one needs to attend for the full two weeks? (I have other major volunteer commitments during July and can't commit to being away for 2 weeks without other obligations dragging.) I'm also (very) curious what kind/size/level of repertory one prepares? Pics and impressions are always be appreciated and good luck!

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wower
I've had the UVIC piano site bookmarked for a year now and am carefully looking at this for summer 2014. The dates work well and I have a free place to stay but am wondering if, as an adult, one needs to attend for the full two weeks? (I have other major volunteer commitments during July and can't commit to being away for 2 weeks without other obligations dragging.) I'm also (very) curious what kind/size/level of repertory one prepares? Pics and impressions are always be appreciated and good luck!
Yes, several adults attend for only one week, usually the 2nd one. They accept all skill levels and will place you in the appropriate level master class. Some classes may have kids (really nice ones) in them. Usually, they would like you to have one piece of any level ready to perform and several you are working on. You are not required to perform. The music is strictly classical as most students are using the Celebration Series books. Comfortable and affordable dorm accommodations are available on the UVic campus where the program takes place.

Best regards,

Deborah
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Deborah,

I would say 'mostly' classical? I've heard a few pop standards performed in a masterclass two years ago and it wasn't 'verboten'.

One added benefit is that I can now say to my friends: 'This one time, at piano camp.' wink

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
I was a bit bashful the other day when explaining my interest in the program to a friend describing it as UVIC's "summer piano workshops". I'm totally fine with the program being classically focus. I hope to bring some Bach WTC and Chopin Nocturnes with the pièce de résistance Christopher O'Riley's Radiohead transcription of "Subterranean Homesick Alien" which if I can get it under the fingers and up to speed in the next year should be a real roarer on a full grand.

Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vid
Hi Deborah,

I would say 'mostly' classical? I've heard a few pop standards performed in a masterclass two years ago and it wasn't 'verboten'.
Hi Vid. You are correct. I guess I should have been clearer. All the students who attend seem to be taking formal lessons elsewhere and most follow the formal Canadian program.

Vid, I'm glad will be there. I've got Kelly's 8:30 a.m. master class. What about you?

@wower If you love being surrounded by other music lovers in a non-competitive, friendly atmosphere, you won't be disappointed. The teachers are top notch and they go out of their way to make everyone feel special.

Best regards,

Deborah
I have pretty much zero competitiveness in me - except perhaps against myself. (I'm my own worse enemy.) Hence all my volunteer commitments; which I have absolutely no problem giving the best of myself (and boy will Calgary need it in the weeks to come). And I think I'd be a great addition to the campus with always a quick word of encouragement close at hand. And I'm not super ambitious. I'm not there to attack the Liszt Bmin Sonata. That's for others to try. I wonder if you could expand on your experiences with the teachers there? I think that is one of the most attractive and stimulating parts of the workshops; the ability to work with not one but several teachers. Also, please share what pieces you're preparing if possible. (I'm too curious.)

edit: forgot to mention, I think one of my main objectives is to celebrate one of the most awesome instruments on the planet: the piano.

Last edited by wower; 06/25/13 08:22 PM. Reason: pft

Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
wower, I'll send you a PM.

Best regards,

Deborah

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission