Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2107417 - 06/24/13 07:23 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Gary D.]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Barb, it seems to me you have been more than fair.

You just can't win with some people - nothing you do will please them, and they always drain away our energy.

True, Gary! Reminds me of a good book, "The Energy Bus", by Jon Gordon. Time to dust that one off and read it again.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2107420 - 06/24/13 07:30 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Bluoh]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bluoh
Barb, how much are these students worth to you, in a business sense? Can you replace them easily?

If so, I don't think you should sweat over it. You handled it fine; it's not your fault. I'm sure they'll be able to adjust their schedules if they really want the lessons.

Strictly from a business sense (as in dollars and cents!) I could replace them from people on my waiting list, but, I don't look at it that way. These students have been with me for a while and I don't want to lose them. Possessive way to look at it I guess. It obviously comes down to convenience for the parents, in some cases.

#2107436 - 06/24/13 08:19 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Barb860
Originally Posted By: Bluoh
Barb, how much are these students worth to you, in a business sense? Can you replace them easily?

If so, I don't think you should sweat over it. You handled it fine; it's not your fault. I'm sure they'll be able to adjust their schedules if they really want the lessons.

Strictly from a business sense (as in dollars and cents!) I could replace them from people on my waiting list, but, I don't look at it that way. These students have been with me for a while and I don't want to lose them. Possessive way to look at it I guess. It obviously comes down to convenience for the parents, in some cases.
I don't see how you really can help it though. Hopefully they feel the same and will make some changes in their schedule to work in yours.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2107948 - 06/25/13 04:38 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Morodiene]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's an update:

I've never seen this one in my years of teaching, BTW.

In conversations about scheduling with these parents over the past couple of days, one went like this:

"Would it be convenient for you to move Junior's lesson time up 15 minutes for fall?" (I asked the mom).
"Depends. Convenient, yes, but if you are asking me to move Junior's lesson time because Myrtle's mom needs to adjust her time, then 'No'. Myrtle's mom and I don't get along".

eek

My reply to this was that yes, it was to accommodate Myrtle but also other students as well. She reluctantly agreed.

#2108001 - 06/25/13 05:51 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Geez. Do you have a waiting list? If so, my recommendation would be to drop this family. You really don't need the drama... and I'm betting you'll be having some this year with Junior and Myrtle's mom.

#2108053 - 06/25/13 07:16 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I can't believe the mother would admit that to you!! What a terrible example this is to their kid!!!

#2108106 - 06/25/13 08:45 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
kck Offline

Here's an update:

I've never seen this one in my years of teaching, BTW.

In conversations about scheduling with these parents over the past couple of days, one went like this:

"Would it be convenient for you to move Junior's lesson time up 15 minutes for fall?" (I asked the mom).
"Depends. Convenient, yes, but if you are asking me to move Junior's lesson time because Myrtle's mom needs to adjust her time, then 'No'. Myrtle's mom and I don't get along".

eek

My reply to this was that yes, it was to accommodate Myrtle but also other students as well. She reluctantly agreed.

Wow - I can hardly believe a grown adult would say that. How incredibly rude! Even if you didn't get along with another adult, deal with it. Don't pull the whole world into your drama. I hope she didn't say it in front of her child!

#2108189 - 06/26/13 01:19 AM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA

Wow. Just wow.

Maybe you should ditch this family.

#2108201 - 06/26/13 02:01 AM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
You can be assured, that is nothing compared to what she says in front of her child. If a wasp blew in her car window on the way home, the wasp could tell you all about it and more.

#2108261 - 06/26/13 08:26 AM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
It's a pretty wretched comment from Junior's mom, but at least you know where she stands.

#2108512 - 06/26/13 04:05 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Jeff Clef]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
You can be assured, that is nothing compared to what she says in front of her child. If a wasp blew in her car window on the way home, the wasp could tell you all about it and more.

I really don't care to meet that wasp! laugh
I don't want to invite any drama into the studio. Mom took her kids out of piano with me as of today, in addition to changing other activities, to keep the families apart. So I can move on now. It really was kind of crazy.

#2109060 - 06/27/13 12:39 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
missbelle Offline

Loc: USA
I teach lessons two days a week after school at a private school, as well as in my home.
I had a 7th grade girl re-begin lessons in January from years past elsewhere, and the first few lessons went well.

then soccer hit...

I changed her lessons to my 2nd day, and e-mailed the mom that the 1st day spot most likely would remain open for make-up lessons just for this girl. (Only students at this school take lessons on campus)
My own kids attend this school, and did sports, so I know the craziness of private school scheduling.

The girl quit attending!

I e-mailed all my parents about an April recital, and received no response from the mom. Since I also sub at the school, I saw the girl and even handed her music and chatted with her. i offered a piece she could do for recital.

I e-mailed a preview list for the recital, and THAT got mom's attention.

shw called me-
"We are not even in town that weekend!" (lie, I saw the daughter as a school event)

"There is NO was to take music lessons at this school and sports. It sucks!"
(I told her, as I had before, that my kids do/did both, and that I had TWO spots held for her child. I even offered a Friday after school lesson, but that was not well-received)
She hemmed and hawed a few more complaints that I calmly lobbed back with reason, and then she said she would ask for her money back.

Well, the school arranges all the payments and such, so I got paid whether a student showed or not.

I sent an e-mail to the coordinator letting her know that mom might call, but she never did!

Bonus- the coordinator said that I had done well above what the other two piano teachers would do to accommodate this family, and she would NOT be giving any money back.

I still waited for the girl at her times, but she only came ONCE.

Do not engage the crazy. have a firm policy. Offering three best times is great! And, I have one day (Friday) for make-up lessons. I have only been taken up on that about 3 times a year.

good luck!

#2109196 - 06/27/13 05:13 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: Barb860]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Teaching piano is, many times, all about training the parents. Ugghhh.

#2109229 - 06/27/13 06:30 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: dumdumdiddle]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle

Totally agree!!
I heard from my mentor (best teacher in Irvine) that she only accept students that has mothers that she thinks she can related to. So, she is accepting students not base on students themselves, but base on their parents type.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2109284 - 06/27/13 08:26 PM Re: scheduling headache/advice please [Re: ezpiano.org]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle

Totally agree!!
I heard from my mentor (best teacher in Irvine) that she only accept students that has mothers that she thinks she can related to. So, she is accepting students not base on students themselves, but base on their parents type.

Very interesting.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
28 minutes 11 seconds ago
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (aesop, Al LaPorte, allakart, beet31425, 11 invisible), 859 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315433 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission