Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2108148 - 06/25/13 10:57 PM Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Having never really listened to classical music before I started playing piano, after a few listens, I'm now addicted to this concerto and Tchaikovsky Piano Concert No. 1. Anyway, I'm attempting to learn a few sections of it.

The first chords contort my fingers in pretty awkward positions, but it seems like it's effortless for the great players... Mostly the issue is in measure 2, my LH pinky can hit the adjacent note, and my wrist is pretty tense. No matter what I do I can't avoid depressing the adjacent white key a little bit, but it might only be a quarter way so it doesn't sound. My right hand seems OK though. Any advice?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2108153 - 06/25/13 11:11 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
You could try this... smile

#2108160 - 06/25/13 11:41 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Two solutions:

1 - take the bottom F of the left hand as a grace note for the entire passage.

2 - for that particular chord, play the F, D flat, and C simultaneously with the right hand, and fill on the top A flat quietly right after.

If your left hand can't reach everything, then don't kill yourself - it means your span is unfortunately too small, so you'll have to make some compromises.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2108173 - 06/26/13 12:24 AM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Yeah, that's a tough chord. Surprisingly, my issue is in the RH, not the left. I think it depends on a few different factors, one of which may be voicing along with hand size/span.

A lot of pianists with smaller hands roll at least some of these chords, or take a "grace note" approach as Kuanpiano suggested. I think it's been done so many times that, while not preferred, it has become accepted.

Now, looking at the picture of your hand position, I really don't think you have to do this. I simply think your wrist/hand is collapsed over on the left side and not "on top" of the chord enough to hit it solidly. Your hand looks like it's bigger than mine (or at least longer fingers), so if I can hit it, you should be able to. wink

Quick Cheats: If you don't voice the rising notes, you can drop the Db in the LH. The Db in the RH covers the dissonance.

Alternatively, you can get the damper to lift by using your index finger on the C and rubbing against the Db (angle your knuckle to bring the key down if possible). Since you're not voicing it, the strike won't be missed, but the vibration will continue as if you had struck it (albeit a bit softer).

If you do voice it, drop the C in the LH, but keep the Db.

This will help you get over on the notes better, and depending on exactly how you voice the chord, the notes won't be missed.

This is not good/proper technique, but sometimes you can curl the 3rd finger under and strike the C with the back of your knuckle/nail. This will free up a little extra stretch to get down to the F and up to the Ab, and you may not have to drop either note. I don't really advise it, or practicing it for long periods of time, but it does work. Sometimes the reason you can't reach the F-Ab stretch is because your 2nd and 3rd fingers are in the way.

Hope this helps. smile

Edited by Derulux (06/26/13 12:25 AM)

#2108183 - 06/26/13 12:35 AM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
It's okay to roll the chords by using F as a grace note (as suggested above). Rachmaninoff himself rolled the chords! wink

#2108191 - 06/26/13 01:21 AM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Really? I don't ever recall a recording (I am way too young to have heard him live wink )where he did that. Do you have one? I would really like to give a listen! Every performance/recording of his I've ever heard was blocked chords.

#2108325 - 06/26/13 11:31 AM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The one I heard does have some blocked chords, but he does roll some of them if you listen closely. I don't remember where I heard it, though..

#2108354 - 06/26/13 12:18 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Roll Over Beethoven Rachmaninov!

Edited by pianoloverus (06/26/13 12:18 PM)

#2108363 - 06/26/13 12:34 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
TimV Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I have a question about the RH in the 2nd measure. This has plagued me for a long time. Do people play the D flat with their 2nd finger?? (If so, please take a picture of this prodigious feat). Do they hook their thumb over and play the C and D-flat with the thumb? That feels really unreliable to me in such an exposed texture.

Thanks,
Tim V.
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque

#2108377 - 06/26/13 12:52 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I play the D flat with my 2nd finger. If you can't do it, try making the thumb work on both keys. With enough practice, you could get consistent with it. Or leave out the low C all together? grin

#2108392 - 06/26/13 01:16 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Allan W. Offline

I thought the RH wasn't difficult so I didn't post a picture of it. Here's my amateur hands playing RH 2nd measure:

In the picture my thumb is barely hanging onto the key but I can play it pretty high up too. The trick for me is to have a fairly high wrist, but for me it's not much tension.

#2108400 - 06/26/13 01:27 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I play the C and D flat with my thumb together. There's no hooking, just play those two notes with the thumb close to the black keys, and then push the C with the tip of the thumb, and the D flat with the part of the thumb just underneath the joint.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2108402 - 06/26/13 01:28 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Looks good to me as in your picture. Just stretch your pinky a tiny bit straighter and 3&4 further a bit and keep the hand relaxed

#2108403 - 06/26/13 01:29 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That doesn't look too bad. If you can voice the chord well, that should be just fine.

#2108443 - 06/26/13 02:19 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: TimV]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TimV
I have a question about the RH in the 2nd measure. This has plagued me for a long time. Do people play the D flat with their 2nd finger?? (If so, please take a picture of this prodigious feat). Do they hook their thumb over and play the C and D-flat with the thumb? That feels really unreliable to me in such an exposed texture.

Thanks,
Tim V.

If you're voicing the rising line there, then you can leave out the C. It really can't be heard, especially if you've got the C resonating in the LH. If you're not voicing the Db, then you may want to go with the "hook over" as you've described it. grin

#2108509 - 06/26/13 03:52 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Derulux]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Really? I don't ever recall a recording (I am way too young to have heard him live wink )where he did that. Do you have one? I would really like to give a listen! Every performance/recording of his I've ever heard was blocked chords.

I believe Rachmaninov always plays the bottom (F) notes as grace notes, and many modern pianists imitate that way of playing, even if they can easily stretch to encompass those chords. And of course, Rachmaninov's huge hands could swallow those chords whole, if he wanted to...

http://youtu.be/x8l37utZxMQ

#2108510 - 06/26/13 03:59 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
These are the easiest bars in the entire concerto, aside from maybe the silent ones. (Always found counting empty measures to be the most nerve-racking part of any concerto.) If you can't reach it then you roll it. Not so easy to do with the filled-in octaves at the recapitulation.

#2108732 - 06/26/13 08:59 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
King Cole Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Just use your 2nd finger for C and D flat. Put it on the left side of the D flat but you're pressing down on C at the same time and yeah you'll scrap that G but you'll be alright it wont voice like you said

#2108773 - 06/26/13 10:47 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: bennevis]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Originally Posted By: Derulux

I believe Rachmaninov always plays the bottom (F) notes as grace notes, and many modern pianists imitate that way of playing, even if they can easily stretch to encompass those chords. And of course, Rachmaninov's huge hands could swallow those chords whole, if he wanted to...

http://youtu.be/x8l37utZxMQ

Man, my speakers must be horrible because I can't hear a grace note at all! frown

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
These are the easiest bars in the entire concerto, aside from maybe the silent ones. (Always found counting empty measures to be the most nerve-racking part of any concerto.) [...]

In most concertos, I don't. I memorize the orchestral parts, and come in where the music fits. I could never sit there and count half a movement (in some cases). I think Rachmaninoff is good in this way, because it's very obvious where the piano needs to enter, and if you can take the musical queue, you won't need to count. Other composers are not so easy in this regard.

#2108800 - 06/26/13 11:55 PM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
All this talk (and advice) about how to play the opening chords of the Rachmaninoff Second Concerto leads me to my question : what are you going to do after you learn the opening measures?

Regards,

#2108808 - 06/27/13 12:14 AM Re: Opening chords of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 [Re: Allan W.]
Allan W. Offline

This thread got a lot of responses. I guess I'm going to have to post a new thread for every line in the score smile

At some point I'll try the 2 piano version with my teacher -- should be fun.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (36251, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 50 invisible), 1410 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission