Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2108386 - 06/26/13 01:03 PM Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850
Tritium Offline

Loc: Western MA, USA
Hi folks,

This is a follow-up to an earlier thread. I wish to thank everyone for their feedback. It was a tough choice, and I had narrowed down my DP options to the Casio PX-850, the Kawai ES-7, and Kawai MP6.

I made my decision and ordered a Casio PX-850 through Sweetwater...a company I have done a great deal of business with over the years, on guitar equipment (yeah, I play both). Sweetwater has always been super responsive, especially whenever I had a problem with receiving equipment damaged in shipping.

It really came down very close to the PX-850 and the ES-7. However, in order to turn the ES-7 into a full "console", I would have had to spend an additional $500 (furniture stand plus 3-pedal assembly)...bringing the total price differential between the Casio PX-850 and the Kawai ES-7 to $1500.

Finally, for some strange reason, the Kawai ES-7 appears to only be available for direct order, in the States, through Kraft Music. Even Amazon shows their ES7 units to be supplied through Kraft. I have no experience with this Company, unlike Sweetwater.

So, at the end of the day, I just couldn't justify spending an additional $1500 for the ES7. Of course, I am fully aware of the age old adage "you get what you paid for". However, I have been favorably impressed with the very positive reviews that the PX-850 has received, both here and elsewhere on the Web.

Hopefully I will be satisfied with my decision.

The PX-850 will be delivered this Friday...so, I will be sure to post back with a full review and impressions as soon as I have set her up and have had a chance to run her through her paces.

Cheers, all.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2108455 - 06/26/13 02:32 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Look forward to it Tritium, since I'm also considering this model. I agree with you, that it's hardly justifiable to spend thousand dollars or more to get the quality to improve by only a fraction, wheither we are talking about sound, touch or build quality.

Besides, many of the models people mention as alternatives to the higher end Privias, are many years, sometimes decades older and therefore do not include the technology improvements of the newer models.

Edited by TheodorN (06/26/13 02:42 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2108496 - 06/26/13 03:36 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I was interested in the ap650 or the px350 because of it`s additional features and recording capability which you don`t find much in evidence on more expensive stuff.

Have fun wi yours!

""

#2108726 - 06/26/13 08:47 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
I think you made a good choice and should be happy with this piano.

#2109046 - 06/27/13 12:13 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
Clumsy Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
I have the AP-450, which is more or less the PX-850 in a more good-looking form (and may be some other little differences). I'm happy with mine and I hope you will be too.

#2111598 - 07/02/13 01:31 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
Tritium Offline

My PX-850 just got delivered this afternoon. Thing weighs a ton (100 lbs). That is a good thing, for me, as I want a solid feel to the keyboard system.

Sweetwater had double boxed it, and it looks like it came thru UPS okay. I opened it just to make sure there was no internal damage to the box or packing.

I will set it up later this afternoon...and post back with more pics and first impressions.

It feels like Christmas!

Incidentally, that is my dog's bed and pillow on the floor, next to the Casio box. grin

My dog is a big fan of Chopin and Rachmaninoff:

#2111601 - 07/02/13 01:35 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
Mike_Martin Offline

thumb

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2111604 - 07/02/13 01:42 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Mike_Martin]
Tritium Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin
thumb

Hi Mike...quick technical question.

I have read the PX-850 user manual, but I am a bit confused on an issue. Note, I haven't assembled the unit, yet, and I am sure I would figure out the answer to this eventually...but since you are here, I thought I would ask:

I realize you can "layer" two different instruments, e.g Concert Grand Piano and strings. However, can you layer two of the acoustic piano models together. For example, (Concert + Classic), or (Concert + Mellow)?

Thanks in advance.

#2111621 - 07/02/13 02:11 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
Mike_Martin Offline

Yes any two sounds.

Casio Music Forums

#2111643 - 07/02/13 02:56 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on your new Casio PX-850, I can understand well that it feels like opening a Christmas gift.

Maybe you can check out something, I've been wondering about. If you can copy a recording to a USB drive and use that as an accompanying rhythm, playing it through the PX-850 (presumably the speakers.)

I'm talking about something NOT recorded on the PX-850 itself, for example a song from a CD. It is a great feature you have, if you can take your favourite pop or rock song, make a WAV-file of it, play it on the USB drive connected to the PX-850 and try to play along on the piano itself.

#2111672 - 07/02/13 03:40 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Right. Now Xmas is over - - - GET RECORDING! Wanna hear this . . . grin

""

#2111680 - 07/02/13 03:55 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Mike_Martin]
Tritium Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin
Yes any two sounds.

Great, thanks Mike!

#2111684 - 07/02/13 04:01 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: TheodorN]
Tritium Offline

Originally Posted By: TheodorN
Congratulations on your new Casio PX-850, I can understand well that it feels like opening a Christmas gift.

Maybe you can check out something, I've been wondering about. If you can copy a recording to a USB drive and use that as an accompanying rhythm, playing it through the PX-850 (presumably the speakers.)

I'm talking about something NOT recorded on the PX-850 itself, for example a song from a CD. It is a great feature you have, if you can take your favourite pop or rock song, make a WAV-file of it, play it on the USB drive connected to the PX-850 and try to play along on the piano itself.

Hi TheodorN,

I am pretty sure this is a standard capability of the PX-850, according to the User Manual (if I am reading it correctly). So yes, any .wav file should be able to be played back, and used as accompaniment, through the USB interface. Perhaps Mike Martin can confirm.

I probably won't be using this feature, as I pretty much stick with classical (solo) piano pieces...but I can see how this would be an excellent feature for others who want to play against a background/accompaniment track.

#2111689 - 07/02/13 04:09 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: peterws]
Tritium Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
Right. Now Xmas is over - - - GET RECORDING! Wanna hear this . . . grin

Hang tight. thumb

I won't be able to assemble the keyboard until later (tonight). But I definitely will post back with first impressions.

I haven't played piano for almost three years, now, so I will need a couple of weeks to get my chops back. So I probably won't be posting any self-recording for at least a week or two. If I am as rusty as I suspect I am...I wouldn't think of exposing anyone to unnecessary auditory discomfort. grin

#2111706 - 07/02/13 04:36 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: TheodorN]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: TheodorN

Yes you can. There are two things that you'll need to keep in mind.
- The file must be renamed to TAKE00.WAV - TAKE99.WAV
- I'd recommend reducing the volume of the imported .wav file. The PX-850 can not change the volume of the audio playback and compared the very dynamic recordings that can be made on the PX-850, the produced CD track will likely be overwhelming in volume. There some free programs for both Apple and Windows that can do this.

Casio Music Forums

#2111729 - 07/02/13 05:09 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you Mike for this information, another plus for the PX-850. This probably requires some skills in digital recording and stuff to use this feature the way I'm talking about. If I get the thing myself, I will probably just use the good old metronome to start with and practise simple passages with not too complicated chord structures. At least to begin with!

Tritium, I'm sure it's quite a job to assemble the piano and cabinet together, it looks like a complex piece of furniture. I will enjoy your recording(s) when they will be posted!

#2111849 - 07/02/13 10:19 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Originally Posted By: Tritium
Sweetwater had double boxed it...

I ordered a PX-350 and a PX-150. The PX-150 was shipped double-boxed, the PX-350 was not. Both arrived in very good shape without any shipping damage. The boxes Casio ships are quite decent. My impression of the outer box being plain and thin (at least in my case and possibly because both of these keyboards are very light weight) is that its purpose is to protect and disguise the inner box rather than provide double protection for the keyboard.

Make sure that you remember to register the keyboard at the Casio website within 30 days to receive the extra 2-year extension on the warranty (for a total of 3 years).

#2111897 - 07/02/13 11:52 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
EPW Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Also if you're on Windows platform - for only $19.99 now you could get this product
from Cakewalk -http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/AudioCreator/default.aspx

It would let you rip the track or CD and bring down the sound level as Mike Martin
suggests to do. Very easy to do and you can even import MP3's and save them as a
Wave file for the Casio USB to read.

#2112103 - 07/03/13 10:35 AM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Tritium - "I wouldn't think of exposing anyone to unnecessary auditory discomfort. grin"

Don`t thee worry `bout that, lad. We like a good laugh too y`know . .

""

#2112263 - 07/03/13 03:41 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: peterws]
Tritium Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
Tritium - "I wouldn't think of exposing anyone to unnecessary auditory discomfort. grin"

Don`t thee worry `bout that, lad. We like a good laugh too y`know . .

grin

By the way, sorry folks, I wasn't able to assemble the PX-850 last night. I realized I had to re-arrange my music room, which has to accommodate five guitars, three amps heads, two combo amps, a 4x12 and 2x12 guitar cabinets, a large guitar pedalboard (stompbox effects), and 2 rack style effects units...along with shelves and other misc. equipment. I want to install the PX-850 next to my front wall, between two windows...it is the perfect spot.

In any event, the re-arranging and cleaning took a few hours, and by the time I was done, I decided to call it a night, and wait until later this afternoon/evening to put my new baby together.

So, I will have it up and running tonight (promise), and will make sure to pop back in to give a full run-down and first impressions, along with pics.

Question for my fellow members...

Can some of you recommend a free host site in which I can upload .wav or .mp3 recordings so that they can be accessed by this community. I have seen a few different sites (I think one is called SoundCloud), but I am looking for what you all consider to be the easiest/best site. What is the general consensus?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tritium (07/03/13 03:42 PM)

#2112377 - 07/03/13 07:00 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
Mike_Martin Offline

Soundcloud is great

Casio Music Forums

#2112391 - 07/03/13 07:17 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
+1

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2112397 - 07/03/13 07:26 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tritium

Question for my fellow members...

Can some of you recommend a free host site in which I can upload .wav or .mp3 recordings so that they can be accessed by this community. I have seen a few different sites (I think one is called SoundCloud), but I am looking for what you all consider to be the easiest/best site. What is the general consensus?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the general consensus, but I would recommend those steps.
  • Record a video of yourself playing.
  • Simultaneously record your performance on the PX-850.
  • Convert your recorded performance (presumably a WAV file) as mp3 in some software in which you can do that.
  • Join your PX-850 mp3 file and the video track of your recorded performance. Can be a bit tricky to synchronize the two, but it can be done. There are probably some free programs to do that. I use ffmpeg for this purpose, but I don't recommend that, as it requires some nerdy skills!
It's a selfish thing, but I like to have the video and audio of a performance.

Edited by TheodorN (07/03/13 07:27 PM)

#2112641 - 07/04/13 06:26 AM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You can always use suitable Creative Commons videos for a visual alternative to yourself playing, or nothing . . .

""

#2115026 - 07/09/13 05:20 AM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: peterws]
Tritium Offline

Sorry about the delay, folks. It has been crazy with the Fourth of July weekend, and a bunch of other stuff I had going on. Long story short, I finally got around to cleaning out my music room and re-arranging all my guitar gear, in order to fit the new PX-850.

I literally finished assembling it a couple of hours ago (3:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time). So, I have been up all night.

It took me probably about three hours...but I was going slow, and taking pictures of the packaging layout (in case something was broken and I had to re-pack everything).

However, Casio's packaging and shipping protection was excellent, and all parts were present, accounted for, and in perfect condition.

The unit was not difficult to put together, as long as you follow the instructions.

So, I only have had a about a half hour or so to play the unit at very low volume level (I live in a Condo, and it was 3:30 in the morning). After I get some sleep, and have a chance to play for a couple of hours this afternoon, I will post pics and write up a more detailed report.

However, in just the half hour or so, I got some quick impressions to share. I had it on the default settings, and have not had a chance to tweak it to my specific tastes. I was more interested in how the keyboard/action felt.

In a nutshell, it is pretty darn good. No, it doesn't play like my previous Yamaha GA1 baby grand acoustic...but it has a very respectable action for a DP (especially one at this price level). Furthermore, it is a responsive action with good tactile feedback, and I just can tell I will have no problem adapting and getting comfortable with it.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the keys are relatively quiet. The pedal-board may take a bit of getting used to, as the pedals are smaller than on a traditional acoustic. However, they work as advertised. There is some real nice string resonance when using the damper pedal, which I am eager to hear more of when I finally get a chance to play at a more reasonable volume (later this afternoon).

So, to be continued.

#2115196 - 07/09/13 03:07 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
StarvingLion Offline

"256-note polyphony versus 128"

Isn't this super important for classical music? If the casio 850 claim is legit then it should be fundamentally more valuable than the Roland RD700nx which is nearly triple the price. So much is made about realism but is'nt playability far more important?

#2115204 - 07/09/13 03:25 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: StarvingLion]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: StarvingLion

Isn't this super important for classical music? If the casio 850 claim is legit then it should be fundamentally more valuable than the Roland RD700nx which is nearly triple the price. So much is made about realism but is'nt playability far more important?

Can you hold down 256 piano notes at a time? Does anyone do so? No. You only have 10 fingers. Even assuming you mash and hold the pedal and they double count polyphony (for stereo) normal music does not approach 128 note polyphony, so it's not a limiting factor.

32 note polyphony I could imagine being an issue (maybe). I'm not even sure 64 note polyphony is a real issue for actual music. Tests designed to strain polyphony, yes, but not music.

#2115206 - 07/09/13 03:26 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: StarvingLion]
Tritium Offline

Originally Posted By: StarvingLion

Yes, high note polyphony is critically important for Classical music, especially very fast, complex pieces in which their are a heck of a lot of notes played in a given interval/time. Perfect examples of compositions in which high level polyphony would be important would be Chopin's Etudes and Scherzos, works by Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Godowsky, etc. Heck, there are movements in Beethoven Sonatas that are blazingly fast. With that said, 128-note polyphony should be adequate, but I would definitely not go below 128-note polyphony for Classical piano, given the state-of-the-art that is available now.

So...yes, in general, the higher the polyphony the better...and 256-note polyphony is better than 128-note, everything else being equal. However, with that said, the Roland RD700NX is no slouch, and is a very impressive DP. I agree, however, that for the additional cost that Roland is asking for this keyboard, I would expect their sound engine to support 256-note polyphony.

#2115213 - 07/09/13 03:33 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
Mike_Martin Offline

Stereo piano samples also use two voices of polyphony for each note that you play.

Casio Music Forums

#2115216 - 07/09/13 03:40 PM Re: Just pulled trigger on a Casio PX-850 [Re: Tritium]
emenelton Offline

Kawai uses their 256 polyphony for sympathetic resonance generation, among other things.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
Today at 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
Today at 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
A Simulation Investigating the Source of Inharmonicity
by PaintedPostDave
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (BB Player, beet31425, Al LaPorte, bgiles, ando, 13 invisible), 800 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157618 Topics
2315161 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission