Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (Beemer, Beachdingo, AZNpiano, 16 invisible), 1098 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2108435 - 06/26/13 02:12 PM Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)?
GGO Offline

Hello everyone:

I'm in the market of a new small grand piano, and Steinway (New York) models A and O are my finalists (but I'm not completely excluding Model M).

Price of Model A is a big stretch for me, but I don't want to compromise the sound. (I'd like to keep pianos and trading-in to upgrade is not a consideration.)

Size-wise, Model A can fit. But I'm not sure if my room is big enough for it, and I don't want the piano to be deafeningly loud. I live in a condo and floor plan is shown below (two adjacent walls are big windows). Would Model A get too loud for this room size/layout?

(UPDATE: furnishing most likely wood floor, carpet is possible but I have cats and they may scratch the carpet.)

Any thoughts and suggestions in any aspect will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Gavin

--
PS: I play mostly work from Liszt and Chopin. Pianos I have auditioned during selection include Steinway (Hamburg and NY), Estonia, Shimmel (K and C), Mason & Hamlin, Bosendorfer, Shigeru Kawai, Grotrian, Bluthner, Bechstein (C and A), August Forster, and Steingraeber & Sohne.

Edited by GGO (06/27/13 12:45 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2108511 - 06/26/13 04:02 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: GGO]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Gavin - Welcome to Piano World!

As far as volume is concerned, that is totally dependent on the furnishings in the room and the ceiling height.

I consider the new NY-O's to be one of the best smaller grands available from any company. In that size room I probably would choose it over the A. The Steingraeber B192 is a spectacular instrument, but ouch, the price!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2108574 - 06/26/13 05:30 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: GGO]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: GGO

--
PS: I play mostly work from Liszt and Chopin. Pianos I have auditioned during selection include Steinway (Hamburg and NY), Estonia, Shimmel (K and C), Mason & Hamlin, Bosendorfer, Shigeru Kawai, Grotrian, Bluthner, Bechstein (C and A), August Forster, and Steingraeber & Sohne.

Hmmm... Well I cannot give my standard advice to audition more than one brand of piano.

IMHO, size offers color more than it does volume. I can control any large piano's volume with no problem, but longer strings generate more noticable overtones and this equals a bigger palette of colors to choose from. I cannot get more color from a piano with shorter strings.

This means that I will generally prefer the larger instrument within any given brand. Occasionally I will go against that trend because of the beauty of a given instrument though.

Also, be careful and be sure that you choose the actual piano you will get, especially with your chosen brand. They have historically had more inconsistency from piano to piano than any other brand you have mentioned.

Keep us posted,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2108608 - 06/26/13 06:08 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: GGO]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
What are the yellow and grey areas in your diagram?

Do you plan to play with the lid fully opened?

How much better do you like the sound of the A compared to the O in the showroom? Do you feel the O's sound is compromised compared to the A or are you asking for opinions about that?

I don't know whether Steinway does this, but some dealers will allow you to audition the larger piano first and then replace it by the smaller piano if the larger piano seems to loud for the space. This is because concern about a piano being too big for a given space is a common concern. Of course, you'd have to promise to buy the smaller one if the larger sounds too loud. And you might have to pay extra shipping costs. You can always ask if this is possible.

#2109056 - 06/27/13 12:32 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
GGO Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

As far as volume is concerned, that is totally dependent on the furnishings in the room and the ceiling height.

I consider the new NY-O's to be one of the best smaller grands available from any company. In that size room I probably would choose it over the A. The Steingraeber B192 is a spectacular instrument, but ouch, the price!

Thank you, Marty!

I tried Steingraeber 192, 170 and 168 with Phoenix. Didn't quite like them. I think Steinway pianos are more versatile and sound better with the pieces I normally play.

#2109059 - 06/27/13 12:36 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: Rich Galassini]
GGO Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini

--

Hmmm... Well I cannot give my standard advice to audition more than one brand of piano.

IMHO, size offers color more than it does volume. I can control any large piano's volume with no problem, but longer strings generate more noticable overtones and this equals a bigger palette of colors to choose from. I cannot get more color from a piano with shorter strings.

This means that I will generally prefer the larger instrument within any given brand. Occasionally I will go against that trend because of the beauty of a given instrument though.

Also, be careful and be sure that you choose the actual piano you will get, especially with your chosen brand. They have historically had more inconsistency from piano to piano than any other brand you have mentioned.

Keep us posted,

Thank you Rich!

Many people have mentioned to play the actual piano, but I have question on this...To me, the variations are not that much and they have a lot to do with voicing, is this true?

I am thinking of a factory order as I want the Steinway logo also appearing on the side. This means I basically have no opportunity to audition the *specific* piano in advance, but I was told that I could inform the Steinway technicians to help me select a piano that sounds like what I want. Then through voicing, the piano could grow over time to exactly of my liking. Would this work out nicely?

#2109062 - 06/27/13 12:43 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: pianoloverus]
GGO Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
What are the yellow and grey areas in your diagram?

Do you plan to play with the lid fully opened?

How much better do you like the sound of the A compared to the O in the showroom? Do you feel the O's sound is compromised compared to the A or are you asking for opinions about that?

I don't know whether Steinway does this, but some dealers will allow you to audition the larger piano first and then replace it by the smaller piano if the larger piano seems to loud for the space. This is because concern about a piano being too big for a given space is a common concern. Of course, you'd have to promise to buy the smaller one if the larger sounds too loud. And you might have to pay extra shipping costs. You can always ask if this is possible.

Thank you! The yellow and gray areas are empty spaces for furniture (or just empty). They are used to indicate the size of the living/dinning room. The kitchen is open concept.

Most of the time I will play with lid closed or slightly opened, but when I have guests I would like the piano to sound good (and not too loud) when lid is fully opened.

I think Model A sounds noticeably better than Model O. I wouldn't say O is compromised, but A is richer and more colorful across the entire keyboard range. What would you think?

#2109063 - 06/27/13 12:46 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
GGO Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Forgot to address your comment on furnishing. Most likely I will keep the wood floor. I can get carpets but I have two cats who may love to scratch the carpet. So it's a tricky question and wood floor is the primary consideration.

#2109083 - 06/27/13 01:25 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: GGO]
Anne'sson Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
What exposure do the two walls with windows have? If they face south and east, you will probably need full drapes to shield the piano from direct sunlight.
If they face north and west you'd need drapes on the west windows. Assuming you're in the northern hemisphere.

Direct sunlight will be murder on the finish and could also dry out the action and soundboard. The drapes could help with volume.

If you really prefer the sound of the A, go ahead!

#2109086 - 06/27/13 01:26 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: GGO]
pianoloverus Offline

Thank you! The yellow and gray areas are empty spaces for furniture (or just empty). They are used to indicate the size of the living/dinning room. The kitchen is open concept.

Most of the time I will play with lid closed or slightly opened, but when I have guests I would like the piano to sound good (and not too loud) when lid is fully opened.

I think Model A sounds noticeably better than Model O. I wouldn't say O is compromised, but A is richer and more colorful across the entire keyboard range. What would you think?
Based on your room dimension(I get around 22' by 20'), the fact that it seems like your living/dining area opens up into other parts of your home(making the effective space even larger), and your lid not fully open most of the time preference, I think the A would work but it's virtually impossible for anyone to guarantee this. As others have said it depends on many other factors like the furnishings, voicing, and even your hearing(one person's loud may not be so loud for another person). If you already have a tech you think is very knowledgeable they might be able to help you predict the outcome because they actually know the space the piano will be in.

Since you prefer the sound of the A that could clearly be another reason to get that model.

Despite your wish to have the Steinway logo on the side and hence order the piano from the factory without playing it, I think that could be a big mistake. Especially since you seem to be quite choosy(not a bad thing) about the sound of the piano. Even makers that seem to have a more generally consistent sound than Steinway can vary quite a bit at least for some listeners. There is no guarantee that the piano could be voiced to your liking.

I would try and find out if the logo can be added after you purchase the piano. I'm assuming any logo on the side would be a decal and not brass, so I don't see why that couldn't be accomplished. Risking not getting the sound you like because of your wish to have a logo on the side is not a trade off I would recommend.

#2109099 - 06/27/13 01:52 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: Anne'sson]
GGO Offline

Originally Posted By: Anne'sson
What exposure do the two walls with windows have? If they face south and east, you will probably need full drapes to shield the piano from direct sunlight.
If they face north and west you'd need drapes on the west windows. Assuming you're in the northern hemisphere.

Direct sunlight will be murder on the finish and could also dry out the action and soundboard. The drapes could help with volume.

If you really prefer the sound of the A, go ahead!

That's an important consideration...Thank you! My exposure is unfortunately the south east. But better than south west I guess.

#2109105 - 06/27/13 02:02 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: pianoloverus]
GGO Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

Based on your room dimension(I get around 22' by 20'), the fact that it seems like your living/dining area opens up into other parts of your home(making the effective space even larger), and your lid not fully open most of the time preference, I think the A would work but it's virtually impossible for anyone to guarantee this. As others have said it depends on many other factors like the furnishings, voicing, and even your hearing(one person's loud may not be so loud for another person). If you already have a tech you think is very knowledgeable they might be able to help you predict the outcome because they actually know the space the piano will be in.

Since you prefer the sound of the A that could clearly be another reason to get that model.

Despite your wish to have the Steinway logo on the side and hence order the piano from the factory without playing it, I think that could be a big mistake. Especially since you seem to be quite choosy(not a bad thing) about the sound of the piano. Even makers that seem to have a more generally consistent sound than Steinway can vary quite a bit at least for some listeners. There is no guarantee that the piano could be voiced to your liking.

I would try and find out if the logo can be added after you purchase the piano. I'm assuming any logo on the side would be a decal and not brass, so I don't see why that couldn't be accomplished. Risking not getting the sound you like because of your wish to have a logo on the side is not a trade off I would recommend.

Thank you so much, pianoloverus! Really appreciate it. I agree with every suggestion you made.

The problem with choosing a piano is that, there are only a couple of A's available at a time to choose from. So I'd either pick the better one out of the 2 or factory order one, which no guarantee of being better or worse (guessing is the name of the game).

#2109110 - 06/27/13 02:10 PM Re: Need help: Steinway A or O (or M)? [Re: GGO]
pianoloverus Offline

The problem with choosing a piano is that, there are only a couple of A's available at a time to choose from. So I'd either pick the better one out of the 2 or factory order one, which no guarantee of being better or worse (guessing is the name of the game).
Or, if you're more patient you can wait until the dealer has an A you like a lot. You don't really have to choose one of the two presently available. Or, perhaps there is a Steinway dealer within traveling distance that has a larger selection of A's to choose from.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
16 minutes 18 seconds ago
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
Today at 02:12 AM
Keyframe corner rounded at una corda spring contact
by sopranojam85
Today at 12:04 AM
Yamaha Grantouch GT 10
by Valhalun
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Hamelin plays Gershwin
by beet31425
Yesterday at 11:02 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159281 Topics
2339827 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission