Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2108571 - 06/26/13 05:28 PM Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo?
Pierrerion Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
During my recent visit to a local Kawai dealer in Montreal, Canada, the salesman seemed very eager to push a demo CA65 that's about 6 months on display. He asked for $3000+tax in the beginning,300 dollars cheaper than a brand new model, and a few days after, called me and lowered the price to $2800+tax. I saw no visible scratches or anything wrong with the demo but wonder why are they interested in getting rid of this demo so eagerly. As far as I know, the CA65 is a relatively new model, which puzzles me even more on the salesman's motive. Please chime in.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2108585 - 06/26/13 05:44 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
If you like the CA65 piano, offer him $2000+tax (Cash).

He might take it.

He apparently is motivated to sell it.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2108588 - 06/26/13 05:49 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
shinegamix Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
if he still offers full warranty then i dont see why not

#2108589 - 06/26/13 05:49 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Because you get people going into shops who play FFFFFF on the keys, kiddies who pretty much slam the keys, my own casio has only been used by me too, and the amount of hair, skin and nails I hoover out the gap at the front is quite a bit.

Plus ivory keytops are supposed to absorb sweat and grime from 1000s of fingers, who knows what is on it? (there is a stat that most nuts on bar tops have traces of urine and faeces).

#2108593 - 06/26/13 05:54 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
At $3000 it's no bargain. You can buy it new for that price, and likely for even less. So why pay that much for used equipment?

#2108714 - 06/26/13 08:41 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: dmd]
Pierrerion Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd
If you like the CA65 piano, offer him $2000+tax (Cash).

He might take it.

He apparently is motivated to sell it.

Yeah but his eagerness makes me suspicious there might be something wrong with it. Because I don't really know much about this trade, I thought I'd ask here.

#2108716 - 06/26/13 08:42 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: shinegamix]
Pierrerion Offline

Originally Posted By: shinegamix
if he still offers full warranty then i dont see why not

5 years warranty.

#2108720 - 06/26/13 08:43 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: MacMacMac]
Pierrerion Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
At $3000 it's no bargain. You can buy it new for that price, and likely for even less. So why pay that much for used equipment?

Apparently here in Canada, prices are higher. The asking price for a brand new CA65 is $3300+tax.

#2108724 - 06/26/13 08:46 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: justpin]
Pierrerion Offline

Originally Posted By: justpin
Because you get people going into shops who play FFFFFF on the keys, kiddies who pretty much slam the keys, my own casio has only been used by me too, and the amount of hair, skin and nails I hoover out the gap at the front is quite a bit.

Plus ivory keytops are supposed to absorb sweat and grime from 1000s of fingers, who knows what is on it? (there is a stat that most nuts on bar tops have traces of urine and faeces).

That makes total sense. But I still think since the showroom needs a demo for CA65 anyway, why are they so eager to sell this one.

#2108733 - 06/26/13 08:59 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Yes, that's the asking price. But who would pay that?
Originally Posted By: Pierrerion

Apparently here in Canada, prices are higher. The asking price for a brand new CA65 is $3300+tax.

#2108736 - 06/26/13 09:10 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
It sounds like a good deal. Test it thoroughly for speaker distortion at high volume levels (test the electric pianos and organs too on this). Test all the keys for rattles or erratic wobbles. Check the interface as far as possible (although this would be difficult to do exhaustively). I would take a friend who is also knowledgeable about DPs if possible, too. And headphones.

If it is OK mechanically and electronically and regarding the software, then it's probably worth getting. Never mind a few fingernails and hairs. You get those everywhere. You can always clean the keys if you're worried about faeces and urine.....unlike peanuts, you're not going to eat them, anyway.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2108739 - 06/26/13 09:19 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
That makes total sense. But I still think since the showroom needs a demo for CA65 anyway, why are they so eager to sell this one.

Possibly just to rotate the stock? Or to replace it with a CA95 (assuming there isn't one already on the shop floor).

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2108826 - 06/27/13 12:59 AM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: MacMacMac]
Pierrerion Offline

Yes, that's the asking price. But who would pay that?

I asked the salesman if he can give a better price for a brand new unit, he told me 3300+tax is the best he can do. What do you advise me do?

#2108828 - 06/27/13 01:00 AM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Kawai James]
Pierrerion Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Possibly just to rotate the stock? Or to replace it with a CA95 (assuming there isn't one already on the shop floor).

James
x

Thank you James.

#2108829 - 06/27/13 01:02 AM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: toddy]
Pierrerion Offline

I'll make a second visit and do exactly that. Thank you!

#2108909 - 06/27/13 06:38 AM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I asked the salesman if he can give a better price for a brand new unit, he told me 3300+tax is the best he can do. What do you advise me do?

If you like the CA65 piano, offer him $2500+tax (Cash), then just forget about it.

I would not buy a demo unless I was getting really significant deal on it. I don't happen to feel that $2800 is a low enough price, for me.

Good Luck

Edited by dmd (06/27/13 06:45 AM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2108994 - 06/27/13 10:25 AM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Kawai James]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

James
x

Nothing they know about coming NAMM show that we don't know about is there ?? (trrrrrrrr, ram pam pam ...drums). Serious: why not simply ask him ? If you don't like the answer or it makes you very suspicious , don't buy it. But it could also be they have a very simple and understandable reason to ditch the demo CA, which has nothing to do with the status or quality of the instrument itself.

#2109041 - 06/27/13 12:06 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: dmd]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"I would not buy a demo unless I was getting really significant deal on it. "

In my local shop what you see is what you buy. The world and his wife could`ve played that. But if you play it and like it, it`s on your doorstep straight out of the shop! No flat packs here!

And the shop gets a new `un in.

Edited by peterws (06/27/13 12:06 PM)

""

#2109184 - 06/27/13 04:50 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: dmd]
Pierrerion Offline

If you like the CA65 piano, offer him $2500+tax (Cash), then just forget about it.

I would not buy a demo unless I was getting really significant deal on it. I don't happen to feel that $2800 is a low enough price, for me.

Good Luck

Offer 2500+tax on a new one or the demo?

#2109201 - 06/27/13 05:25 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: Pierrerion]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Good Luck

Offer 2500+tax on a new one or the demo?

The demo.

Well, you can try on a new one ... LOL ...

#2109202 - 06/27/13 05:29 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: peterws]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
"I would not buy a demo unless I was getting really significant deal on it. "

In my local shop what you see is what you buy. The world and his wife could`ve played that. But if you play it and like it, it`s on your doorstep straight out of the shop! No flat packs here!

And the shop gets a new `un in.

Yes, that is pretty much what I am used to also.

However, the salesman described it as a DEMO so it may be different there.

Also, sometimes if a piano has been on the floor for awhile with no sales, they may wish just turn it over and get a new one in. Someone else also mentioned this possibility.

Either way ... if he is willing to sell it for 2800, he will probably grudgingly part with it for 2500. He apparently wants to move it.

#2111252 - 07/01/13 03:07 PM Re: Should I buy a Kawai CA65 demo? [Re: justpin]
joflah Online   content

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted By: justpin

Not too surprising - the nuts on the bar stools have to scratch themselves as well as feed.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
09/18/14 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
09/18/14 10:29 PM
A Simulation Investigating the Source of Inharmonicity
by PaintedPostDave
09/18/14 10:18 PM
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Who's Online
127 registered (anamnesis, 7notemode, A Guy, accordeur, 3times2, 37 invisible), 1119 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157616 Topics
2315136 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission