2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2095088 06/04/13 07:31 AM
T
tomek Offline OP
OP Offline
T
1) which feature in DP's allows to play external sounds threw internal speakers ? i've read somewhere that CN34 can do it (?)

2) we all know that Dp's allow us to use them as a midi keyboard. But, is it possible to import two layering sounds and play them in the same time? (ex. piano & strings) I know that most Dp's have this feature in basic, but i wonder if they can play it "from outside"

3) i've asked second question because i fell in love with that layer sound of roland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpogWs30mY (first 32 secodns before he switched to piano/strings) and i can't afford to buy 50x roland.

by the way, i consider to buy CN34

(sory for my english, i willy am)

Last edited by tomek; 06/04/13 07:49 AM.

CA65, SUPERLUX HD330
M
M
The CN34 can play sound from the "outside" through the internal speakers. They can come from USB (mp3/wav) or via line-in. But the DP only acts as a speaker system, you can't "play" other sounds via keaboard if that's what you mean with importing.

You can layer any internal sound with every other and i guess they would also be transmitted via midi.

If you want to play other sounds than the built-in you have to use a computer via midi.

T
tomek Offline OP
OP Offline
T
to bad frown i thought that i could play midi via DP's speakers.

does onboard adjustments work with midi sounds ? (ex. balance between imported layered sounds, reverb, brilliance etc).

Last edited by tomek; 06/04/13 08:29 AM.

CA65, SUPERLUX HD330
M
M
You can of course play midi from a computer through the CN34. But it will of course use the internal sounds. Midi only transmits data like which key was pressed how long etc. Midi does not transport actual sound data. Maybe its a misunderstaning.
Could you try to explain, what you actually want to do with the DP?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Where do you want to get your 'midi' sounds from?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
T
tomek Offline OP
OP Offline
T
i thought i did smile

ok, i know how controler works - just as a same method as pc keyboard is. Normally when we press key on DP, signal goes (via midi or USB to host) to PC (midi software engine) and it sounds in speakers conencted to PC. I wonder is it possible to hear that sound in DP internal speakers.

i hope you get it what i've mentioned

@toddy , - from PC of course

Last edited by tomek; 06/04/13 09:08 AM.

CA65, SUPERLUX HD330
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, you can connect the output of the computer to the line inputs on the piano. In this case, the piano is simply acting as an amplifier, as MagicK said.

But, yes, you can trigger any sound from the piano, over midi. This could be an external sound module, another midi keyboard or software in the computer.

Then, that sound can be fed back to the speakers in the piano, via the line inputs, if you wish.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
M
I don't understand the second question. What do you mean with layering 2 external sound?

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
It sounds like he wants to play one sound from the DP and the other from an external synth and have the resultant sounds both come through the internal speakers. Yes, you can. Though you will want to adjust the level to match or one to be dominant. You will need to do this from the external synth since the volume control on every digital piano with speakers I have seen controls the amp gain and is not midi volume. I have done just that with a Korg Radias module and a casio px-330.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
T
tomek Offline OP
OP Offline
T
thanks mates !!

Summarising, configuration: layered DP Grand Piano + midi strings (from PC) is possible and adjustable (voluem balance) as well. That would be great matter.

99% certain to buy ES7

Last edited by tomek; 06/06/13 05:51 AM.

CA65, SUPERLUX HD330
T
tomek Offline OP
OP Offline
T
where can i find midi vst's which sound similar (or the same) to these below ?

1) string pad (roland) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2q-vl94nLBM#t=178s

2) strings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tNj1pqaali0#t=40s)

CA65, SUPERLUX HD330
E
E
This is something I'm struggling with. I've connected my Yamaha P-35 to a laptop with a Midi to USB cable (midi in on the P-35 is that right?) and got the Pianoteq demo.

The P-35 is recognized by the laptop, however after opening the Pianoteq demo I can't trigger it's sounds from the digital. In the tutorial vid it says to disable the on-board sounds but I don't know how to do that so when I press a key I get the P-35's sounds not Pianoteq's.

Last edited by Enthusiast; 06/24/13 05:16 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Enthusiast,
Do you have the volume turned up on your P-35? Did you select your computer's sound card in the Pianoteq MIDI setting as the playback device?

E
E
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Enthusiast,
Do you have the volume turned up on your P-35? Did you select your computer's sound card in the Pianoteq MIDI setting as the playback device?

Yes the volume is turned up, so when I press a key on the P35 I get it's on board sound.

In the audio/midi setup on Pianoteq I tried all 3 of the audio device types, there was no sound card on the laptop but we got asio4all for the asio option there. Same problem. I can press the keys on Pianoteq'a virtual keyboard and get the sound through the laptop but not by pressing keys on the P35.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
It sounds like you don't have your laptop's audio card selected in MIDI as the playback device. If using ASIO4All, you have to select it in there. You should turn the sound down all the way down on your P-35.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hope I am reading this correctly, but to trigger Pianoteq from your DP, you need to connect to MIDI OUT. (MIDI signals go OUT from the DP, INTO the computer.)

Apologies for replying to Tomek's post. It is a reply to Enthusiast smile

Rob
P
P
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
In the tutorial vid it says to disable the on-board sounds but I don't know how to do that so when I press a key I get the P-35's sounds not Pianoteq's.

Normally, you would disable internal P35 sounds by turning "Local Control" off. However, P35 doesn't have this ability, so you just set "Volume" on P35 to minimum, as Galaxy4t says.

In the audio/midi setup on Pianoteq I tried all 3 of the audio device types, there was no sound card on the laptop but we got asio4all for the asio option there. Same problem. I can press the keys on Pianoteq'a virtual keyboard and get the sound through the laptop but not by pressing keys on the P35.

So your Audio card is correctly set-up in Pianoteq. Problem is in the Midi device. Your USB-Midi cable must be checked in "Active MIDI inputs" in the same setup window in Pianoteq. Also, as ROB says, you must use Midi-Out port on P35, not Midi-In.

E
E
Originally Posted by PtJaa
In the tutorial vid it says to disable the on-board sounds but I don't know how to do that so when I press a key I get the P-35's sounds not Pianoteq's.

Normally, you would disable internal P35 sounds by turning "Local Control" off. However, P35 doesn't have this ability, so you just set "Volume" on P35 to minimum, as Galaxy4t says.

So your Audio card is correctly set-up in Pianoteq. Problem is in the Midi device. Your USB-Midi cable must be checked in "Active MIDI inputs" in the same setup window in Pianoteq. Also, as ROB says, you must use Midi-Out port on P35, not Midi-In.

I did actually try connecting to the in port and then the out port making sure to use the correct wires each time. The laptop is my nephew's so I won't have access to try again until at least tomorrow. Will order my own laptop soon.

What I did do after reading these suggestions though is lug my old keyboard up to my desktop which has good specs and a soundcard. In the audio/midi setup in active midi inputs the keyboard is recognized as usb2 midi which I tick. Audio device type is Asio. Device is Xonar DS Asio(64)(my discrete soundcard). Active output channels are ticked as L and R. I continue to have the same problem as before.

P
P
What cable end do you plug into the midi-out keyboard socket? Half the usb/midi cables require you to plug the "midi-in" end and the other half the "midi-out" end (because midi-out on a cable can mean either "plug me into the midi-out socket" or "this is the midi-out end")

FWIW, You don't need to care about audio if you just want to debug MIDI. Pianoteq has a nice debugging tool - the "MIDI" tab in the Options window. When you press a key on the KB, you should see a MIDI message appear in the upper widow there.

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
E
E
I'm using the same usb to midi cable pictured in the Pianoteq tutorial vid. I put the cable labeled out into the out socket on the digital. It's this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-USB...9070&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+to+midi

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission