2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Chrislw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
There's a music shop in my area that was hiring a piano technician/tuner trainee. I was a little surprised because I figured that to be something not trusted to a novice.

But that's something I'm interested in learning, so it got me wondering as to what kind of response I would get if I called other piano stores in my area and offered to volunteer my time to learn more about piano tuning, maintenance and repair. Assisting and helping in what minimal way I can, doing various odd jobs around the shop.
Is this worth a try, or not?

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Definitely worth it.
Been there, done that and it pays dividends in the form of referrals and skill building and reputation.
You will know when it is time to charge for your services.
You will also learn about the character and reputation of the store that you do volunteer work for.

S
S
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson

You will also learn about the character and reputation of the store that you do volunteer work for.

This is more important than you think, when people find out where I trained, they often wonder if I can be any good. If you plan on applying for this position, try to find out what their turnover rate is. It takes months to train as a technician, just to become competent! The store I trained at sent me out to tune for a customer less than a week after I started. Had I been a different type of person, I would be a terrible technician. I was determined to be good at my job, so I learned on my own. They've "replaced me" 3 times since I left last August. Before I started, they replaced techs more than twice a year. If I'd known better, that would have been a HUGE red flag.

Piano Technician, 3 years experience

And why yes, I know I'm a girl!
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Samthetech
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson

This is more important than you think, when people find out where I trained, they often wonder if I can be any good. If you plan on applying for this position, try to find out what their turnover rate is. It takes months to train as a technician, just to become competent! The store I trained at sent me out to tune for a customer less than a week after I started. Had I been a different type of person, I would be a terrible technician. I was determined to be good at my job, so I learned on my own. They've "replaced me" 3 times since I left last August. Before I started, they replaced techs more than twice a year. If I'd known better, that would have been a HUGE red flag.

Your experience is fairly typical, I think. There are far more mediocre dealers than really good ones. In my area, there is a rebuilder who was looking for a refinisher not too long ago and I heard through the grapevine that they actually rejected applicants who ever worked for a certain another local rebuilder, just due to its poor reputation.

G
G
Learn as much about pianos as you possibly can BEFORE you offer your serives as an unpaid or minimally paid intern (so that you at least bring something to the table). Even if you have some basic knowledge of the piano action and can tune unisons, that helps!

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
C
Chrislw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
^^ Yeah, I think I'll do that.
But is people volunteering to learn with a technician a common thing?
I called and emailed some piano stores and other places yesterday and got turned down on all of them.

S
S
As you can tell by perusing this forum, lots of technicians can have attitudes about people learning to tune. I don't really know why. Find a "residential" tuner, they're more likely to help, so long as you agree not to open shop within 200 miles. (I seem to remember that being a standard distance. I didn't sign a noncompete agreement, so I don't know for sure.)

Piano Technician, 3 years experience

And why yes, I know I'm a girl!

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission