Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2108350 - 06/26/13 12:12 PM What DAW are you using ?
fatorouli Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi! i am new here and i have played mostly on my keyboard, but i am going to buy a digital piano in the fall. I am just wondering what DAW you guys are using? I have been using Cubase for years for my other project but i am interested to know if you feel that there is a DAW out there that is better and cheaper or more suitable for piano and classical music (perhaps you actually get the best plugin for the price, i dunno)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2108381 - 06/26/13 12:55 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Are you looking for MIDI controlling/sequencing, or using software sounds (VSTs)? Cubase is great, but it depends what you want to do.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2108395 - 06/26/13 01:19 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: Morodiene]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
Since buying Cakewalk years ago, I've stuck with it. It's now up to version Sonar X2 or some such.

However, if I was starting over, I'd give some consideration to Reaper, which an open-source piece of free software. My production station (an Open Labs Neko XXL) came with it pre-loaded and it seems pretty impressive for something that's free. I keep saying I ought to learn it properly and maybe stop paying money to Cakewalk.

#2108463 - 06/26/13 02:41 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
o0Ampy0o Online   content

I have Reaper, Abelton Live, Cubase and Logic Pro but the one I use the most is Garageband.

smile

#2108519 - 06/26/13 04:14 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: o0Ampy0o]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: o0Ampy0o
I have Reaper, Abelton Live, Cubase and Logic Pro but the one I use the most is Garageband.

smile

+1
For quick recording of ideas and using loops its a great app with a dead simple interface.
And you can always transfer it to the big boys.

#2108578 - 06/26/13 05:38 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
Morodiene Offline

I'm just learning how to use Logic Pro myself. I have tried Reaper but I like how Logic looks a bit cleaner IMO. I used to use Cakewalk back in the day. Loved it!

#2108630 - 06/26/13 07:00 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
I love simple but powerful tools - that's why I still use MS Paint smile
So Audacity for most users will be enough, it's free. For VST/MIDI I use Mulab, also free.

But of course pro tools is great smile

#2108639 - 06/26/13 07:13 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: kiedysktos.]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just got my UR22 today which came with Cubase AI6; but I also purchased Mixcraft- had a ton of coupons and amex gift cards so paid around $80 for each item out of pocket
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2108753 - 06/26/13 09:56 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
My first computer recorder was Cubase which I used a lot until version 2 point something. It was marvelous and, afaics, led the way for virtually all digital recorders that followed.

That was in about 1989. Since then there has been a 24 year hiatus. Partly this was because, once my 1 Megabyte Atari computer (a modern classic) broke down, there was nothing to record on. Switching to PC I've had terrible problems with Windows operating systems and audio recording - problems with mere MIDI recording, too. The whole idea of smoothly streaming data seems to have been anathema to the Windows developers - especially in the pro audio area. I'm now running the DAW on a 2 X 3.4GHz Xeon system with 8 GB RAM, no network, no clutter, new W7 o/s (this is like having eight thousand Atari ST computers linked together!) but latency and timing stability is still a problem, ladies and gentlemen. Though the end does seen to be in sight now.

(and I'm not even fussy - I don't mind putting up with a fair amount of crap and slop - and the odd 15ms lacuna here and there just has to be coped with by gritting your teeth. For example, I've just discovered that if I record incoming audio from the DP, the DAW slows down its playback rate unless I allow a 512 sample buffer, which causes a large latency problem - but only with the incoming audio data - the stuff in the computer - VSTi's - run fine at 128 or, with heavy use, 256 sample buffers. This means there will have to be a whole extra layer of latency compensation just for externally sourced material. This is before you even start worrying about music or sound quality! If you like this sort of thing - go for Windows. I love it.)

Anyway, my DAW is Reaper (which is not free, by the way - I paid €40 for it). It has a lot of online support and forum activity and constant fixes and updates (free, of course). It is not very easy or intuitive with midi recording, I don't think. There are lots of options and some of the defaults are strange.

But overall it's great - with a lot of work, I think you can do almost anything with it. There are lots of routing possibilities, ways of setting up the desk and plug-ins and editing suits etc and various export/mastering/rendering options beyond wave and mp3. Their business model seems healthy and based on sound thinking.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2108759 - 06/26/13 10:08 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
+1 for Reaper.

After being a long time Cubase user, I found Reaper a little strange to use at first, but soon realised that in Reaper, 'right clicking' is your best friend smile

#2108761 - 06/26/13 10:13 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Yes - right clicking is essential! You can also program your own keyboard instructions into it which can give you useful shortcuts. This is under Actions»Action list.

#2108774 - 06/26/13 10:47 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
For what it's worth, I use Mixcraft for recording. I had terrible issues with Audacity as a recording vehicle, a lot of noise was being introduced on the track. With Mixcraft I get a very clean recording; and it's really easy to use.

Yamaha P-155

#2109472 - 06/28/13 05:27 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
    Seasider53 Offline

Loc: Lancashire, UK
    I started off with Ableton Lite which came free with an M-Audio arranger keyboard. But I never really got Ito it. Running on a Windows PC it never really seemed to be happy.

Then I got a Mac which came with GarageBand. I thought I would learn GarageBand then move up to Logic Pro when I needed more features. But so far I haven't. GB does everything I need. laugh

Edited to add: I've also tried Reaper, which I liked and found easy to use. If I didn't have GarageBand with the progression to Logic Pro, I would probably use Reaper.

Edited by Seasider53 (06/28/13 06:01 AM)

#2109527 - 06/28/13 08:55 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
    BeccaBb Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
    I have Tracktion 4 which came free with my Mackie mixer. However I haven't used it yet. Eventually I will get brave and try this out. LOL

Floundering and Lost
    Roland RD300NX

#2109537 - 06/28/13 09:09 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: Seasider53]
    Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Seasider53
    I started off with Ableton Lite which came free with an M-Audio arranger keyboard. But I never really got Ito it. Running on a Windows PC it never really seemed to be happy.

Then I got a Mac which came with GarageBand. I thought I would learn GarageBand then move up to Logic Pro when I needed more features. But so far I haven't. GB does everything I need. laugh

Edited to add: I've also tried Reaper, which I liked and found easy to use. If I didn't have GarageBand with the progression to Logic Pro, I would probably use Reaper.
    I haven't tried using Garage Band even though it came with my Mac. What can it do vs. Logic Pro?

#2109574 - 06/28/13 10:21 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: Morodiene]
    Seasider53 Offline

Loc: Lancashire, UK
    Originally Posted By: Morodiene

I haven't tried using Garage Band even though it came with my Mac. What can it do vs. Logic Pro?

It does a lot less than Logic Pro, as is to be expected in a free version compared to a full-price program. It is a simplified basic package which gives you enough to learn the principles of using a DAW.

The Mac version is a different beast altogether from the IPad app. The Mac looks and works more like a standard DAW and is well worth a look.

#2109590 - 06/28/13 10:57 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: Seasider53]
    Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

It does a lot less than Logic Pro, as is to be expected in a free version compared to a full-price program. It is a simplified basic package which gives you enough to learn the principles of using a DAW.

The Mac version is a different beast altogether from the IPad app. The Mac looks and works more like a standard DAW and is well worth a look.
    OK, thanks! Since I've already delved into logic though, I guess I'll keep doing that and learn GB later. Only so much techie stuff my brain can handle at once!

#2109596 - 06/28/13 11:10 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: Seasider53]
    toddy Online   content
    1000 Post Club Member

.... I thought I would learn GarageBand then move up to Logic Pro when I needed more features........

... I've also tried Reaper, which I liked and found easy to use. If I didn't have GarageBand with the progression to Logic Pro, I would probably use Reaper.

Yes, I would do exactly the same if I had a Mac. I had a version of Logic years ago - it was called Logic Audio Discovery. It never worked but that was a Windows problem, as outlined above. But it looked good.

Reaper may be easy to use in the main but I find it a bit fiddly. The cursor is always jumping to new location given half a chance (double click on the band sends it back to zero, though, which is handy). And midi tracks have to be laboriously set up (unlike vst or audio ones).

But I love its flexibility, price, attitude to development and sales.

#2109614 - 06/28/13 11:35 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
    Dr Popper Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
    I'm mainly a Logic user.. Although I am often forced into PT depending on who I'm working with. I've recently been playing with Reaper and Studio One and both have their advantages.

#2109900 - 06/28/13 08:13 PM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: fatorouli]
    Scott Hamlin Offline
    500 Post Club Member

I use Reaper. Easy to use and not a bad price.

#2110985 - 07/01/13 04:56 AM Re: What DAW are you using ? [Re: Scott Hamlin]
    Newman Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
    Sonar by Cakewalk. I've been using it for quite a few years. I looked at Reaper only a few weeks ago but after spending so much time learning Sonar I'm reluctant to change.

Moderator:  Piano World 
    What's Hot!!
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    -------------------
    PIANO BOOKS
    Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
    sheet music search
    sheet music search

sheet music search
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    151 registered (36251, alfredo capurso, accordeur, 54 invisible), 1741 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    74300 Members
    42 Forums
    153683 Topics
    2252776 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
    by Zach Evans
    04/23/14 05:36 PM
    Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
    by Keith D Kerman
    04/23/14 05:06 PM
    Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
    by Keith D Kerman
    04/23/14 05:05 PM
    Hi Mr S-H and all
    by Seaside_Lee
    04/23/14 04:13 PM
    A Steinway for under 1,500...
    by Juln
    04/23/14 04:09 PM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission