2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I did a search on the forum on the Canadian pricings for the wonderful Kawai CA65 and CA95 DP but found no results. Most prices I can find here are all in the United States. Even with the Canadian dollar on par with the American dollar recently, prices are still noticeable higher in Canada, not even considering sales tax. My recent visit to a local Kawai dealer in Montreal, the CA65 has an asking price of $3300 before tax. Are there any Canadians here who have bought the CA65/95 in Canada? What price did you pay? Thanks!

Last edited by Pierrerion; 06/26/13 05:25 PM.
After discussing pricing with the Kawai dealer in my city last month, the "best" the salesman could do on a cash deal apparently was $3950. I didn't even bother to ask for lower...AND that was for the floor model. The guy also told me that it's very difficult to get the CA-65 in black because so few are made compared to mahogany (really? Why?).

Strange little bit of info also - this guy seemed to have been under the impression (more like he was absolutely certain) that this summer Kawai will be announcing a VPC-2 which will be equipped with the GF action. I told him that it doesn't make sense because it's too soon but he didn't seem to think so. I also questioned his willingness to share that info with me and he said something to the effect of "Well, it's no secret"

I don't mean to start rumors...I'm honestly just repeating what this guy said to me :S

Kawai CA-65, AKG K702, M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Pianoteq, VI Labs Ravenscroft
Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
*The quote was for the CA-65 in case I wasn't 100% clear

Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Keegan, while I don't wish to throw any Kawai dealers under the bus, I'm afraid the information that this particular chap has provided is not correct.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I didn't think so lol but it's a nice thought smile

Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Keegan
After discussing pricing with the Kawai dealer in my city last month, the "best" the salesman could do on a cash deal apparently was $3950. I didn't even bother to ask for lower...AND that was for the floor model. The guy also told me that it's very difficult to get the CA-65 in black because so few are made compared to mahogany (really? Why?).

Strange little bit of info also - this guy seemed to have been under the impression (more like he was absolutely certain) that this summer Kawai will be announcing a VPC-2 which will be equipped with the GF action. I told him that it doesn't make sense because it's too soon but he didn't seem to think so. I also questioned his willingness to share that info with me and he said something to the effect of "Well, it's no secret"

I don't mean to start rumors...I'm honestly just repeating what this guy said to me :S

$3950 is a ridiculous price to pay for the CA65! And I thought Ontario would have lower prices than Quebec. With that price, you can get the CA95 in the US! I'm seriously considering driving to Vermont and buy one there pay Canadian import duty at the border.

S
S
Unfortunately, everything in Canada is more expensive than in the US. From houses to cars to everyday consumer goods. Just check anything you can buy on Amazon US and compare that to Amazon.ca, and you can see that we are paying premium of 20% to 30% on average.

I auditioned the CE220, CN24, CN34 and CA65 and was settled in to purchase the CN34 for $2300cnd as I thought the different between the CN34 and CA65 was not worth the almost $1k different in price. Then I auditioned the CA95 and was sold immediately for the richer and more realistic(not as "electronic") sound. At the end, I paid around $4400 for the CA95 including a nice adjustable leather bench($300 quoted, but probably closer to $150) and delivery(~$100).

In terms of sound, the CE220 and CN24 are about the same. CN34 sounds nicer probably due to better speakers. In terms of actions and touches, I think CN24/34 is better than ce220(probably due to the 3 sensors). CA65 has very nice touches and sounds very nice as well. The CA65/95's keyboard action is closer to the acoustic grand pianos, which I had the opportunities to try while at the dealer.

Checking on the price paid thread for other countries, your dealer's quote wasn't that way off. I will probably go for a new one with perhaps to negotiate on a bench thrown in or something...

Btw, I am from Toronto, Canada.

CA95, Sennheiser HD598
O
O
Originally Posted by Pierrerion
$3950 is a ridiculous price to pay for the CA65! And I thought Ontario would have lower prices than Quebec. With that price, you can get the CA95 in the US! I'm seriously considering driving to Vermont and buy one there pay Canadian import duty at the border.

The advantages of the dealership model and its fiefdoms... for the dealer!

Import duty for digital pianos is 6% for your information and this is in addition to any sales tax.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
semo, I have read your post, here:

Unfortunately, everything in Canada is more expensive than in the US. From houses to cars to everyday consumer goods. Just check anything you can buy on Amazon US and compare that to Amazon.ca, and you can see that we are paying premium of 20% to 30% on average.

I auditioned the CE220, CN24, CN34 and CA65 and was settled in to purchase the CN34 for $2300cnd as I thought the different between the CN34 and CA65 was not worth the almost $1k different in price. Then I auditioned the CA95 and was sold immediately for the richer and more realistic(not as "electronic") sound. At the end, I paid around $4400 for the CA95 including a nice adjustable leather bench($300 quoted, but probably closer to $150) and delivery(~$100).

In terms of sound, the CE220 and CN24 are about the same. CN34 sounds nicer probably due to better speakers. In terms of actions and touches, I think CN24/34 is better than ce220(probably due to the 3 sensors). CA65 has very nice touches and sounds very nice as well. The CA65/95's keyboard action is closer to the acoustic grand pianos, which I had the opportunities to try while at the dealer.

Checking on the price paid thread for other countries, your dealer's quote wasn't that way off. I will probably go for a new one with perhaps to negotiate on a bench thrown in or something...

I had cancer and had a BMT costing probably more than a million dollars. In most of the world you would probably die because you wouldn't have the money to pay for it. So I don't mind paying more for anything Canada - because life is a priceless gift. My meds were $2,000 a day for a year. Again because I pay more for things in Canada, I am alive because of the money that is spent by the government to keep me alive. If you go to the internet, and type BMT, you will read stories of people who can't get the treatment because they don't have enough money to pay for it- so they die. So love Canada - for everything it is.

Please, understand I am not being critical of you at all. I never knew what a BMT was and I didn't know that cancer drugs cost thousands of dollars a month until I got cancer and when I picked up the drugs it said a price of 3 thousand dollars. I told them I didn't have the money. The pharmacist told me, no, no, it is paid by the government. So I learned something I never knew about Canada.

If you go to your local drug store anywhere on the planet, and ask the pharmacist what cancer drugs cost, they will tell you how for a month of cancer drugs. You might be surprised.

Last edited by Michael_99; 06/27/13 05:55 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by semo

Hi Semo,

I tried out the CA65 but not the CA95. In your opinion, what's the advantage of CA95 over the CA65? I know about the soundboard and all, but could one actually hear the difference?

Also, the price you paid, $4400, does that include sales tax? If it does, I think it's really a good deal. Which dealer are you using? Merriam or New Conservatory? I live in Montreal, QC and I did consider going to Ontario and buy there, but now I'm not sure if the saving worth the hassle. Also considering cross border shopping in the States, but I'll still be charged GST/PST+6%import duty+6%state sales tax.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Michael_99
semo, I have read your post, here:

I had cancer and had a BMT costing probably more than a million dollars. In most of the world you would probably die because you wouldn't have the money to pay for it. So I don't mind paying more for anything Canada - because life is a priceless gift. My meds were $2,000 a day for a year. Again because I pay more for things in Canada, I am alive because of the money that is spent by the government to keep me alive. If you go to the internet, and type BMT, you will read stories of people who can't get the treatment because they don't have enough money to pay for it- so they die. So love Canada - for everything it is.

Please, understand I am not being critical of you at all. I never knew what a BMT was and I didn't know that cancer drugs cost thousands of dollars a month until I got cancer and when I picked up the drugs it said a price of 3 thousand dollars. I told them I didn't have the money. The pharmacist told me, no, no, it is paid by the government. So I learned something I never knew about Canada.

If you go to your local drug store anywhere on the planet, and ask the pharmacist what cancer drugs cost, they will tell you how for a month of cancer drugs. You might be surprised.

Michael_99,while I sympathise with you and agree that higher taxes in Canada is justified by better health care and other social servic, I think the primary reason why Canadian prices are higher (even before sales tax) lies in the lack of competition in the retail sector. Sales tax goes to the government and pays our health care, which is fine. But the high sales price and margins before tax go to the businesses and have nothing to do in treating your cancer. In the past the weak loonies was used as an excuse by retailers, now with the currency on par with US dollars for a few years, there's simply no reason we should pay 30% more for the same products.

I think i'm going a bit off tangent here.

S
S
I tried out the CA65 but not the CA95. In your opinion, what's the advantage of CA95 over the CA65? I know about the soundboard and all, but could one actually hear the difference?

Also, the price you paid, $4400, does that include sales tax? If it does, I think it's really a good deal. Which dealer are you using? Merriam or New Conservatory? I live in Montreal, QC and I did consider going to Ontario and buy there, but now I'm not sure if the saving worth the hassle. Also considering cross border shopping in the States, but I'll still be charged GST/PST+6%import duty+6%state sales tax.

The sound is much better for the CA95--more realistic, less "electronicy". But of course, you'd never be able to create the infinite shading of tone colours as with an acoustic grand.

The price does not including HST. I bought it from Merriam, good service, friendly people, large show room, lots of pianos to try out...

It is too much hassles cross border shopping for this type of item. I guess the price would be quite similar across the provinces. Kawai is marketing their wares with exclusive shops in each area, so there aren't a lot of competition for your business.

Good luck with the acquisition of your new DP.

CA95, Sennheiser HD598
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by semo

The sound is much better for the CA95--more realistic, less "electronicy". But of course, you'd never be able to create the infinite shading of tone colours as with an acoustic grand.

The price does not including HST. I bought it from Merriam, good service, friendly people, large show room, lots of pianos to try out...

It is too much hassles cross border shopping for this type of item. I guess the price would be quite similar across the provinces. Kawai is marketing their wares with exclusive shops in each area, so there aren't a lot of competition for your business.

Good luck with the acquisition of your new DP.

Great, thanks for that info. The dealer in Montreal asked $4700 for the CA95, but I haven't start bargaining with him yet because I'm still considering among the CA65,CS7 and CA95. Strangely the dealer didn't sound very enthusiastic about selling the CA95, dimissing the soundboard as a gimmick and promised I wouldn't hear the difference.

I only tried the 65 and liked the sound and key action, really grand like. But there was no 95 there so I don't know how much better it sounds compared to the CA65(CS7). Also I have a thing for ebony (cs7), which only adds to the difficultis in picking a model.

Strangely the dealer didn't sound very enthusiastic about selling the CA95, dimissing the soundboard as a gimmick and promised I wouldn't hear the difference.

As I said in another thread:

Originally Posted by myself
...while I don't wish to throw any Kawai dealers under the bus, I'm afraid the information that this particular chap has provided is not correct.

I only tried the 65 and liked the sound and key action, really grand like. But there was no 95 there so I don't know how much better it sounds compared to the CA65(CS7).

I get the impression that this particular dealer isn't terribly interested in selling the CA95 - no demonstration model on the shop floor, and undermining one of the instrument's key features.

There is a significant difference in sound quality between the CA65 and CA95. If the soundboard was purely a 'gimmick', I doubt few customers would be prepared to invest the extra money in purchasing the more expensive model. Then there is the considerable R&D cost of improving the technology with each iteration.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
Strangely the dealer didn't sound very enthusiastic about selling the CA95, dimissing the soundboard as a gimmick and promised I wouldn't hear the difference.

I tried the CA65 & CA95 side by side in the showroom, the different is big. I have actually asked the salesman to play some identical tunes on both models and I stood some distance away to listen. The sound on the CA65 was very good already. However after listening to the CA95, there was just no going back for me. The soundboard does impart some natural timbre to the tone.

Last edited by semo; 07/01/13 07:26 PM.

CA95, Sennheiser HD598
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
Well, the CA93 has the soundboard speaker system (although an older implementation compared to the CA95), however for everything else the CA65 is superior.

Kind regards,
James
x

I have no interest in promoting acoustic, but if you are going for the 95 based on soundboard and external sound, you could just get an upright for the same or less money. Even a Yamaha hybrid NU1 is less money! I certainly would get the hybrid if I had $4000-5000 to spend. At that point, just drop another $1500 and get the N1!

Playing: Yamaha GC2
S
S
Originally Posted by Daniel Corban
I have no interest in promoting acoustic, but if you are going for the 95 based on soundboard and external sound, you could just get an upright for the same or less money. Even a Yamaha hybrid NU1 is less money! I certainly would get the hybrid if I had $4000-5000 to spend. At that point, just drop another $1500 and get the N1!

Acoustics at $4k/5k range are not comparable in terms of action and tone quality. A DP also allows turning down the volume or use headphones when situation requires it.

NU1 is pretty nice, I like it alot too. I think it would be in the same price range as CA95.

CA95, Sennheiser HD598
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There may be good deals out there for the remaining CA63/93 stock, getting a good deal on a soundboard CA93 is one example. Also, newer may not always to one's liking, as many many factors play a role as far as incremental changes go.

What are the prices and price differentials of CA63/93 vs CA65/95?

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission