2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2108406 06/26/13 01:30 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Any tips on touching up plate paint? The piano is a communist era August Forster but I'm not going to try to get color from them. Just interested in anybody with (successful) experience doing routine color matching and what your tool kit includes.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

There are bronzing powders from Belgium than can be mixed; many different shades of gold.
Get one that is close and you can adjust the colours with alcohol pigmentation colourings in powder form. Required is the knowledge of the colour spectrum. Also colours dry darker than when wet so you would need to have knowledge of that too. Trial and error until matched….
Or you can purchase a metallic paint already mixed. Can sprays have a lot of solvent in them and this could rip up the existing finish or cause it to blister.
First determine if you have paint or some other type of finish. If paint is the colouring this is easy to match.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
There are also tools that can compare colors. I have eye-one match. If you go that route make sure you have a full-spectrum analyser. Maybe there are also tools that can match along the full spectrum instead of in HSV/RGB/whatever 3color space.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for that tip...was thinking I should just drag the thing down to home depot and use their color computer...

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi Eric. I use 3 colors of bronzing powder. Karat Gold Leaf, Copper, and Venus Martin Gold. Karat Gold Leaf is more of a straight gold color. Venus Martin is more light. I can usually mix and match about any color plate with the combination of these three. Mix them into nitrocellulose lacquer. Sometimes it takes some experimentation.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
G
G
Boze,
I really love the bronze color of the August Forster plate. I rebuilt one recently, and just went with the regular gold laqcuer. It looks good, and easy to touch up if I need to. But I sure miss the original bronze it had!

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
REALLY HELPFUL, Roy. Thank you.
Where do you get it?

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I bought it at Cincinnati Color, I think. A local paint store. I've had these cans for years, and the store where I bought it is long gone. The company is still around, but I don't know if they still carry it.

The company is United States Bronze Powders. It is sold under the brand name of Venus. Maybe you can do a search, or find some in a local art store. Looking online, art stores seem to carry bronzing powders.

Good luck!

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
D
D
Most art supply stores will have sign painters letter gold in several shades. The link below is one product that Dick Blick carries bit I have used pre-mixed gold in small quantity glass jars with very good color matches from them as well.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/famous-1-shot-lettering-enamels/?clickTracking=true

Hope this helps

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission