2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by adultpianist
When my teacher told me what was involved in the exam I said but what do I want to put myself through that for, for merely doing piano as a hobby for my own enjoyment.

Any thoughts?

Yes.

I've been watching your posts.

Your teacher seems to just want to push you through exams.

You seem conflicted.

I never went through exams, so take that with a grain of salt.

I can see that exams might give you a goal to aim for and help round you out as a pianist.

I can see that exams could make a student thrive, or could kill a student's love of music.

I can also see that exams could end up being a curriculum crutch for a not-so-inspired teacher.

I am given to understand that you may be in an area where it may be hard to find an alternate teacher.

But, what I read from your posts is that you are not so crazy about exams, but your teacher is pushing you through them at a pretty brisk pace.

Honestly, I don't think that teacher-student relationship is working.

ok well you have misunderstood. I stated that I wanted to take the exams. It was my decision not my teachers. She did not say to me, I would like you to take the exams, which incidentally happened to my friends daughter and she felt forced to do exams and it put her off the piano and gave up the instrument.

If I said to my teacher I no longer want to do the exans then she would say ok and we would never do exam stuff again.

I do not need to find an alternative teacher. My teacher has taught me from the very basics with no knowledge of any music or how to play a piano and has taught me all there is to know to pass the grades 1, 2 and 3 and I have passed them. She corrects me when I play wrong and we have a good lesson.

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Daniel Corban
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

Daniel, are you getting us confused? I'm in Maine; adultpianist doesn't list a location.

Yes, sorry. I will just assume the OP is a non-English speaker. I normally don't speak out about such things, especially when it is off-topic, but the fact that several posts were exchanged about such an absurdity just couldn't go ignored.

I am ENGLISH

Last edited by adultpianist; 06/27/13 05:44 AM.
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Whizbang
When my teacher told me what was involved in the exam I said but what do I want to put myself through that for, for merely doing piano as a hobby for my own enjoyment.

Any thoughts?

Yes.

I've been watching your posts.

Your teacher seems to just want to push you through exams.

You seem conflicted.

I never went through exams, so take that with a grain of salt.

I can see that exams might give you a goal to aim for and help round you out as a pianist.

I can see that exams could make a student thrive, or could kill a student's love of music.

I can also see that exams could end up being a curriculum crutch for a not-so-inspired teacher.

I am given to understand that you may be in an area where it may be hard to find an alternate teacher.But, what I read from your posts is that you are not so crazy about exams, but your teacher is pushing you through them at a pretty brisk pace.

Honestly, I don't think that teacher-student relationship is working.

I live in London and there are teachers in every corner of the capital. I can easily get another teacher if I wanted to.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"adult" - in your opening post you expressed hesitation about doing the exams. That is why people have responded as they did:
Originally Posted by AP
When my teacher told me what was involved in the exam I said but what do I want to put myself through that for, for merely doing piano as a hobby for my own enjoyment. It's not as if I am heading into making a living out of music so why push myself to the absolute limit mentally by doing this and learning about different instruments and orchestras and how an orchestra works in collaboration with a piano......I am wondering if it will take the pleasure away from playing. My teacher said to me "But you like doing the Grade exams" and I do, its merely the thought of learning all this extra unnecesary stuff that usually people who want to take music up as profession would do.

I am exhausted mentally trying to work out if this is the best way forward and perhaps stop doing the exams at a level where I do not have to do theory.

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by keystring
"adult" - in your opening post you expressed hesitation about doing the exams. That is why people have responded as they did:
Originally Posted by AP
When my teacher told me what was involved in the exam I said but what do I want to put myself through that for, for merely doing piano as a hobby for my own enjoyment. It's not as if I am heading into making a living out of music so why push myself to the absolute limit mentally by doing this and learning about different instruments and orchestras and how an orchestra works in collaboration with a piano......I am wondering if it will take the pleasure away from playing. My teacher said to me "But you like doing the Grade exams" and I do, its merely the thought of learning all this extra unnecesary stuff that usually people who want to take music up as profession would do.

I am exhausted mentally trying to work out if this is the best way forward and perhaps stop doing the exams at a level where I do not have to do theory.

Keystring, my hesitation was not about doing the exams, but doing a grade which requires theory. I love the challenge of taking a piano exam and find that it enhances my playing ability. However, as I progress up the grade scale, I am hesitant to do Grade 5 because I have been told I will have to learn stuff that as a home pianist, I do not need to know about. If it was just a matter of playing the piano in the exam and not have to sit a written theory and learn stuff that only professionals need to know about then I would be fine to take Grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 and learn how to play to that standard and have a qualification to prove it.

Keystring, my hesitation was not about doing the exams, but doing a grade which requires theory. I love the challenge of taking a piano exam and find that it enhances my playing ability. However, as I progress up the grade scale, I am hesitant to do Grade 5 because I have been told I will have to learn stuff that as a home pianist, I do not need to know about. If it was just a matter of playing the piano in the exam and not have to sit a written theory and learn stuff that only professionals need to know about then I would be fine to take Grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 and learn how to play to that standard and have a qualification to prove it.

Thank you for clarifying. Very often it takes two or three rounds of questions before getting at what a person actually means.

When you say "learn stuff that as a home pianist" you don't need, do you mean learning music theory things, or do you mean things in grade 5 practical? What kinds of things is it that only professionals need to know?

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
adultpianist, you say "I will have to learn stuff that as a home pianist, I do not need to know about" - now are you sure about that? Isn't any kind of music-related knowledge useful when one plays an instrument? Personally, if I were to take exams, I would take the opportunity to learn something new even if it's theory, and not pure playing. But if you're a very practical person who doesn't care about theoretical knowledge, then yes, you'll have to stop taking exams.

Btw, I don't know why, but I also thought you were male. Actually I always think most of the people who write on forums are male, well at least on computer or motorbike related forums I used to read wink I'm glad to see that PW is different.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I would talk to your teacher again about the requirements for Grade V theory. It is not 'stuff that only professional musicians need to know' but stuff any practising musician above Grade V (any instrument) might be expected to know.

It's fairly basic musicianship, not esoteric stuff and not beyond a normal person's ability to learn.

Richard
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
my other difficulty that we are trying to overcome is that when I need to play a piece from the score, I cannot jump into the middle of the score and play from that point. I always have to start over from the beginning and that is wrong. If I am stuck on a particular bar, then I cannot start from that bar

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I would talk to your teacher again about the requirements for Grade V theory. It is not 'stuff that only professional musicians need to know' but stuff any practising musician above Grade V (any instrument) might be expected to know.

It's fairly basic musicianship, not esoteric stuff and not beyond a normal person's ability to learn.

Yes but my argument is that if I am only playing for myself at home who cares what theory I know and don't know. Who is going to listen and judge me? Nobody. My only requirement is to play a piece of music from a score from beginning to end which I can do. Nobody is watching me, and the only people who have watched me play are friends who know little or nothing about music and they would not be able to tell if I played the whole score wrong. For instance, I played a piece for a friend with no musical knowledge whatsoever and she said very good. She was not aware that I was not playing the forte as stongly as I ought to do and even if I did not play forte as proper forte and played it as MF then I do not think she would know the difference and even if I put the score in front of her, she would not have a clue that forte is a strong sounding group of notes which should be played loud. As long as she can hear what I play, however I play it is irrelevant to her as long as I hit all the right note. She is not interested in dynamics

Last edited by adultpianist; 06/27/13 07:29 AM.
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
my other difficulty that we are trying to overcome is that when I need to play a piece from the score, I cannot jump into the middle of the score and play from that point. I always have to start over from the beginning and that is wrong. If I am stuck on a particular bar, then I cannot start from that bar
That's overcome quite quickly.

With every piece you learn play each bar, hands separately once or twice to establish the correct fingering, then hands together once or twice. Play from the the first note in each bar to the first note on the next. When all is going well go through the piece/section again two bars at a time, then four, etc.

If it's a complex piece you might write the correct fingering over the first note of each bar just to make sure you start with the right fingers.

How does your teacher take you through this stuff?

who cares what theory I know and don't know. Who is going to listen and judge me? Nobody.
Nobody other than you. Ever!

Why are taking any exams other than your own satisfaction?

What exactly do you think Grade V theory is going to give you that you don't or won't need to read and understand music at Grades 6, 7 and 8?

Richard
T
T
I think you seem to be talking yourself out of doing it. This suggests you don't want to! At least not yet. In which case that's absolutely fine, as you said earlier, you're doing it because you enjoy it, and you're right to do so. My suggestion would be to wait a while, until it either feels right to take the theory exam, or until you have a more solid feeling that you don't want to. Decisions where you're not certain are often best avoided for as long as possible. I have been learning for nearly a year now and still havent decided whether I'll even take any exams at all. At some point the decision will work itself out I think - either I'll feel ready and work towards taking one, or I'll carry on as I am and not bother. Ultimately it doesn't matter either way as long as I feel satisfied. I liked your approach that you bought the grade 4 books when you felt ready. Leave the theory, put the idea on the back burner and sooner or later you'll probably find you've already made the decision. x

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

This is a long time ago, gulp, but I took grade 5 theory at the age of 15 because I needed it for grade 6 flute. I did no work for it at all. Now, I will add that I was studying for music O Level (that dates me) but, even so, I still had a year before the O levels so it was basic stuff.

I don't do exams now but I have completed the entire Snell Fundamental of Piano Theory series ... until you get to book 10, which is way past grade 5 theory level, do you get much that makes you think too much.

Having said all that, I don't take exams myself and, as an adult, I think you need to decide if it's important to you to take them. You might not. But please learn the theory anyway, it's important for your progress!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher said to me "But you like doing the Grade exams" and I do, its merely the thought of learning all this extra unnecesary stuff that usually people who want to take music up as profession would do.

The last time I took an ABRSM was over 20 years ago. If I remember correctly (and if the rules haven't changed), you only need grade 5 theory and that should be good enough for up to grade 8 practical.

I enjoyed learning music theory. It helps me understand the music I play a bit better. I find that the knowledge from music theory do compliment the practical and vice versa. I wouldn't go to say "all this extra unnecessary stuff...". Why sit there and stress about it? Give it a go and if you really don't like it, at least you tried. You never know until you have a go.

Good luck!

Be yourself

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
I gues by doing Theory exam at Grade 5 or 6 will give me a better understanding of music. I go to classical music concerts by the London Symphony Orchestra or the Australian Chamber Orchestra, or indeed any well known orchestra. It will give me more pleasure in listening to the orchestra if I learn some theory so I know why bits of the orchestra do what they do and when etc etc. It is fine to listen to a good concerto but its nice to actually understand what you are listening to. I may not be a professional pianist but at least the Theory will be put to some use, if only for listening to sonatas and concerto with piano and orchestra or just orchestra thumb

I gues by doing Theory exam at Grade 5 or 6 will give me a better understanding of music. I go to classical music concerts by the London Symphony Orchestra or the Australian Chamber Orchestra, or indeed any well known orchestra. It will give me more pleasure in listening to the orchestra if I learn some theory so I know why bits of the orchestra do what they do and when etc etc. It is fine to listen to a good concerto but its nice to actually understand what you are listening to. I may not be a professional pianist but at least the Theory will be put to some use, if only for listening to sonatas and concerto with piano and orchestra or just orchestra thumb

Yes. And like I said before this thread degenerated into a food fight over your gender, get the ABRSM exam prep books from their online store.

I see they have "Music Theory in Practice, Grade 5" and "Music Theory in Practice, Grade 5 Model Answers" available together for $14.21. I don't know how much that is in pounds sterling, but not prohibitive.

I suspect you'll find you already know a lot of it, and the rest may be more interesting than you think.

Your teacher may unwittingly have made the exam sound like a big hurdle because it probably is for 12-year old kids learning piano as an extra-curricular activity. But I'm sure it won't be a problem for you.

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
whistle

Last edited by adultpianist; 06/27/13 09:33 AM.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
PianoStudent88. I'm in Maine at the moment in Lubec. Chilly here but beautiful...very unplugged which is relaxing (except here I am on the laptop). Summerkeys next week.

Just took the RCM level five theory and found the study uncovered some of my weaknesses. I can read the music without much problem but committing the scales and ideas to paper was a struggle in just an hour. The good news is that I passed.

Increasingly PROPER English seeks to use gender neutral terms to avoid mistaking a he for a she and a she for a he. I'm a she for the record and in life practice as well.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
WiseBuff, enjoy Lubec and Summerkeys.

Congratulations on passing your theory exam.

On an international forum with a wide variety of posters, I try not to get too fussed about different people's ways of using English. Don't know if I always succeed.

adultpianist, on tenor clefs, and just playing for enjoyment: for me, more knowledge about just about everything increases my enjoyment. That may not be you, though. I also have a high tolerance for theory on paper, although the weakness of this tolerance is that I really have to work to connect my theory to aural and playing skills. I don't think all teachers approach teaching theory in a highly practical way, though, so I don't know if you will be fortunate enough to have a teacher who can connect your theory with your music in a way that makes musical sense to you.

I recently learned tenor, alto, and soprano clefs for my theory exam (RCM Advanced Rudiments, which I think goes with level 7 Practical... I'm way ahead in Theory far beyond where I am in Practical). I didn't mind doing it, because as I said above, I just like knowing things. I did it mostly by brute force: "if this line is middle C then (count lines and spaces) this other line is this other note". Gets the answers for the exam, but is painful. Then recently I had a need to play some music written in these clefs. This was just for my enjoyment mind, not because I'm a professional musician. I don't normally consciously read intervallically, but in order to avoid the pain of translating note by note, I pullled out what I know of intervallic reading and practiced it. I got a lot more familiar with playing from these clefs in a hurry, and learned some skills to add to my sightreading tools. I'm glad I was familiar with these clefs from studying for the exam, and glad I found a way to deepen my musical understanding of them.

I needed the clefs because I happen to be studying medieval counterpoint. You might find you want them some day for some other reason: maybe you fall in love with a cello, or bassoon, or viola solo and want to play it on the piano. Maybe you want to transcribe a string quartet for the piano. (I heard a string quartet recently that I fell in love with, and want to do exactly that: transcribe it for the piano so I can play it.) Maybe you also will find yourself interested in medieval music.

Your choice, though, whether you like learning things just to know about them, perhaps by following an exam syllabus; or whether you'd prefer to only learn something in a "just-in-time" manner, for example only learn the other clefs when you first meet actual music written in them that you desperately want to play.

I also play for my enjoyment, but for me that means I want to learn everything I possibly can about piano and music, rather than shutting off areas as not relevant.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
WiseBuff, enjoy Lubec and Summerkeys.

Congratulations on passing your theory exam.

On an international forum with a wide variety of posters, I try not to get too fussed about different people's ways of using English. Don't know if I always succeed.

adultpianist, on tenor clefs, and just playing for enjoyment: for me, more knowledge about just about everything increases my enjoyment. That may not be you, though. I also have a high tolerance for theory on paper, although the weakness of this tolerance is that I really have to work to connect my theory to aural and playing skills. I don't think all teachers approach teaching theory in a highly practical way, though, so I don't know if you will be fortunate enough to have a teacher who can connect your theory with your music in a way that makes musical sense to you.

I recently learned tenor, alto, and soprano clefs for my theory exam (RCM Advanced Rudiments, which I think goes with level 7 Practical... I'm way ahead in Theory far beyond where I am in Practical). I didn't mind doing it, because as I said above, I just like knowing things. I did it mostly by brute force: "if this line is middle C then (count lines and spaces) this other line is this other note". Gets the answers for the exam, but is painful. Then recently I had a need to play some music written in these clefs. This was just for my enjoyment mind, not because I'm a professional musician. I don't normally consciously read intervallically, but in order to avoid the pain of translating note by note, I pullled out what I know of intervallic reading and practiced it. I got a lot more familiar with playing from these clefs in a hurry, and learned some skills to add to my sightreading tools. I'm glad I was familiar with these clefs from studying for the exam, and glad I found a way to deepen my musical understanding of them.

I needed the clefs because I happen to be studying medieval counterpoint. You might find you want them some day for some other reason: maybe you fall in love with a cello, or bassoon, or viola solo and want to play it on the piano. Maybe you want to transcribe a string quartet for the piano. (I heard a string quartet recently that I fell in love with, and want to do exactly that: transcribe it for the piano so I can play it.) Maybe you also will find yourself interested in medieval music.

Your choice, though, whether you like learning things just to know about them, perhaps by following an exam syllabus; or whether you'd prefer to only learn something in a "just-in-time" manner, for example only learn the other clefs when you first meet actual music written in them that you desperately want to play.

I also play for my enjoyment, but for me that means I want to learn everything I possibly can about piano and music, rather than shutting off areas as not relevant.

Thanks and an interesting few points.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission