2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Hi guys. I am entering into the Feis Ceoil, clasical piano comp in Ireland, next year and one of the pieces that's required to play is ANY one of chopin's scherzo's. I have my eye on the 2nd scherzo and will be practicing that till perfected.

Has anyone ever performed or tried this and what are the difficulties of the piece and how to practice this piece with perfection. I have the G. Henle Verlag edition (blue cover) which seems to be the best and most clearest.

So yeah, if anyone has any advice or tips to give me in practicing this piece please share and tell me your experience of practicing/playing it! Thanks.

Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.1 in B flat Major
Chopin Waltz Op.18 in E flat Major
Beethoven Sonata No.27 in E Minor Op.90 1st Mov.
http://www.youtube.com/MusicClassical1
http://www.youtube.com/ClassicalMusicPiano
VIEW MY PIANO BLOG!
http://classicalmusicpiano.wordpress.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Don't miss the last note!! laugh

I haven't studied the piece, so I don't have too much advice to offer to you. Sorry frown

But good luck in your studies with it! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've studied this one and the fourth. Unlike the ballades, the scherzi are in sonata form and use a lot of the same material which makes learning much quicker. With the second scherzo in particular, if you can play the codetta well, you can play the whole piece. Some general tips:

- With the chords in the main theme, play deep into the keys. Make sure every chord is clearly enunciated or else you will wind up with a weak, sloppy sound.

- In the laughter-like climax of the A section, I rushed the learning process and never started slow. I lost productivity from that and wound up having accuracy problems. Don't do this! My best advice to have good accuracy here, and in any piece of music, is to land on each note mentally too, not just physically. Once you've established that you've hit the note, move on to the next one. This applies for the chords in the main theme too if you're having trouble getting the rhythm to sound snappy.

- Don't neglect your left hand in the B section during the right hand arpeggios. Make sure it's solid. Your left hand is the right hand's leader. Chopin put it very beautifully but I forget the quote.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
They're not in sonata form. The second one (from memory) is broadly A:A:B:Bvar:A:coda. If I've got that wrong, please correct me. But that's modified ternary form.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You're right, they aren't in sonata form.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
HAHA. This is interesting because I have never heard anyone miss it but it does seem like such an obvious possibility.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/26/13 06:32 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
HAHA. This is interesting because I have never heard anyone miss it but it does seem like such an obvious possibility.

I've heard it missed twice live, and once in a recording by a very famous pianist (I think Richter?)

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

hahaha thumb

There are quite a few subtleties I rarely hear brought out in the piece. But I really don't want to type a book analyzing it all. Better to get you part way into it, and ask questions as you go. Then, if you're feeling up to it, post a recording for us to listen to. We can offer very specific advice that way. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Play the first or fourth?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

This is a real hazard, since the hands start with a D-flat chord in the center of the keyboard and then jump to the extreme ends of the keyboard for the last notes.

The tricky part of this is hitting the high F in the right hand. My teacher recounts an interesting anecdote about one creative way to avoid this risk. Vladimir de Pachmann used to ensure that he'd come out OK by having his piano tuned so that every note at the top end of the keyboard was tuned to F. As long as he didn't undershoot, he had a clean finish. Not recommended unless you're related to a good tuner, but an interesting solution to a real technical problem.

Or you could just practice with your eyes closed until your muscle memory has it locked in. That was my solution. Good luck -- great piece.

Phil Bjorlo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hitting the last note is not hard.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
For some people it is. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The muscle memory needs to be assigned to the left hand hitting that last octave. Once you can do that every time, the right hand is as easy as looking at the key.

In fact, if you don't rush those last notes, you can have time to actually look at the left hand's octave, put your left hand on that octave, then look at the right hand's key and proceed with hitting both. If you're playing it at Katsaris speed (rushed IMO), you will likely miss those notes often, but if you take it at a Horowitz speed (more relaxed grace notes) you have plenty of time.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I agree with you; I never found it hard. I'm just chuckling because I've seen it missed multiple times in performance. But I find that I assign the muscle memory to the right hand and look at the left hand. I guess I just trust my right hand a lot more.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Whatever works. We aren't violinists. laugh

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thank goodness laugh

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I find that the most hazardous sections are:

1) The left hand arpeggios that accompany the lyrical tune in the Scherzo section. It's so important that this is clean, even, and steady.
2) The repetitive, "sempre con fuoco" section at the end of the trio, before the Scherzo returns. This is the part of the piece where you'll be the most physically stressed anyway, and the rapid fire jumps make this the point where you'll have the hardest time playing accurately.

O
O
...oh, vanity, vanity, all is vanity (even in parenthesis). As they say (Popishly), a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. And ever the put-down. All these years on and still Larkin about in the kingdom of the mind and always at the expense of the world. Ora pro nobis

Originally Posted by OLHS
...oh, vanity, vanity, all is vanity (even in parenthesis). As they say (Popishly), a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. And ever the put-down. All these years on and still Larkin about in the kingdom of the mind and always at the expense of the world. Ora pro nobis

Did you mean this post to be on some poetry forum? grin

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by OLHS

Did you mean this post to be on some poetry forum? grin

Given the date of the post previous to his, he's had three years to compose this!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission