Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
92 registered (AZ_Astro, AlexL, 36251, augustm, Amosdoll, 30 invisible), 1279 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2108319 - 06/26/13 11:23 AM Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof
dkaan Offline

Loc: Singapore, Toronto
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum because this is the first time buying a piano and I've been reading loads of reviews here! I took my ATCL which is Trinity Guildhall's diploma a couple of years back and had to get rid of my piano last year because of termites so we are now looking to get a new piano!

My mum and I have been looking around and I was originally interested in a K8 or a YUS5 from kawai and yamaha until I tried a Petrof P131 a couple of days ago and fell in love with its tone! the dealer's asking price is $14k singapore dollars which is roughly $11k USD. We were almost going to buy it because we liked it so much but the only thing holding us back is that we've heard some not so good things about Petrof (and not from rival dealers alone) regarding its lack of reliability and also the company's financial stability. This evening we went to another dealer and we were shown a couple of Schimmels, Vogels and Wilh Steinbergs. I really liked the Schimmels but they were above what my mum is willing to pay, but we really liked the Vogel V121 ($12000 SGD) and the Wilh Steinberg AC123 ($13,300) and IQ24($15600). These were a tad short for my liking and the dealer is bringing in his Vogel V125 for me to try this weekend. Does anyone have an opinion on these pianos and also the Petrof? I am torn mostly between the Vogel and Petrof, but the Wilh Steinberg is particularly attractive to me because it is German-made.

Another thing is that because I am from Singapore but study in Canada, I would only be around in the summers to play it and my mum (who stopped when she was a teenager) wants to pick it up again for leisure. She is a little hesitant about spending so much on a piano since I am hardly around to justify the price and I am not entirely sure I'd return to singapore after I graduate, but I am trying to assure her that a piano is a good investment for us to use for a couple of decades to come even though I see her point as well. What do you guys think about this?

Edited by dkaan (06/26/13 11:41 AM)

(ad 800) Ritmuller
Ritmuller Presents
#2109223 - 06/27/13 06:14 PM Re: Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof [Re: dkaan]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I've had a Vogel 121 for about 5 years and am very happy with it.

(except that now that I have more space I am starting to have a little tickle about getting a grand...Maybe the Vogel was a gateway drug after all.)
Everything in moderation, including moderation. --Oscar Wilde

#2109362 - 06/27/13 11:37 PM Re: Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof [Re: dkaan]
dkaan Offline

that's great to hear malkin! i find there isn't that much information out there on vogels so i'm glad to hear you are really happy with yours. one thing though, do you have any problems in terms of resonance because of the size?

#2109367 - 06/27/13 11:44 PM Re: Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof [Re: dkaan]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I'm not sure what you mean about problems with resonance. It sounds fine--of course it isn't top tier, but *snort* neither am I!
Everything in moderation, including moderation. --Oscar Wilde

(ad) Hailun Piano
Hailun Pianos
#2109380 - 06/28/13 12:26 AM Re: Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof [Re: dkaan]
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
dkaan--I think your mother should be completely comfortable with the piano and the price, since she will be the one playing and paying for it. That said, it sounds like she likes the Petrof. I have that Petrof. Mine was built in 2005. I love it. You do not say when the Petrof you two played was built. If it was built in the 90's, I would be concerned as the company was emerging from state rule. If it is new, or a few years old, and at that price, I would not be concerned. Have it checked out by a tech and I hope you both find a piano you are happy with.

#2109381 - 06/28/13 12:28 AM Re: Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof [Re: malkin]
dkaan Offline

haha i did not mean that i am far from what people would call good too! I find that with certain shorter pianos there is less resonance and therefore less power because of the size of the piano itself. I generally prefer larger pianos, but the vogel 121 I tried was very good. The dealer is bringing in a 125 for me to try this weekend though because I told him about my preference for larger uprights

#2109385 - 06/28/13 12:33 AM Re: Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof [Re: gutenberg]
dkaan Offline

gutenberg, the petrof 131 we tried was new, and if i were to get a petrof 125 i would have to wait a couple of months for the new shipment to arrive. however, if we do decide on the petrof it would be the 131. i have managed to convince her to spend upwards of $10 thousand on the piano as I believe it's an investment (for ourselves of course, not for resale or anything like that) so she's comfortable with either the petrof or the vogel.

#2110089 - 06/29/13 07:24 AM Re: Vogel, Wilh Steinberg, or Petrof [Re: dkaan]
PNO40 Offline

Loc: A North Atlantic Island former...

I have had a Wilh. Steinberg IQ24 for six months now and am delighted with it. It has a wonderfully rich tenor section, a sweet and clear treble, and the action is excellent. The bass is warm and rich, but can't produce the clear fundamental tones that I can get on a Petrof 190 grand piano I have occasional access to.

I don't know anything about Vogel pianos, but I suspect you won't be unhappy with either the IQ24 or the P131: they are simply very, very good upright pianos.

PS. If you search the forums for previous reviews about these pianos, you may find one that claims the Wilh. Steinberg pianos are unusually loud. This is rubbish. The piano has excellent dynamics and can be made to whisper if played accordingly. And they can 'shout' with the best of them if that's your thing too ... smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Yamaha CP4 or CP40 Free Bag
Buy a CP4 or CP40 Get a Free Bag
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano concerto performance criticized for LACKING VISUAL STYLE
by Svenno
11/26/15 08:55 AM
Yamaha P115, USB midi connection, what can i do with it?
by mcguiks
11/26/15 08:40 AM
by Karl Watson
11/26/15 08:05 AM
buying a computer to put near digital piano
by krauster
11/26/15 07:07 AM
Beginner - Please Rank These Pieces In Order Of Difficulty
by Rich_B
11/26/15 03:38 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
81,556 Registered Members
44 Forums
168,579 Topics
2,469,774 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission