2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Our favorite passages are always changing. How about you share some of your current kicks? I love exploring them.

Right now I'm pretty into Chopin 45. The distribution of the melody in two registers is just so perfect. 1:31 in this video.

D
D
Bach, Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, BWV582

Hamish Milne
transcription Georgy Catoire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXEqS1kMR1M

edited to add: my favorite Chopin 45 is Pogo! It's unorthodox, though. Very slow tempo, but breathtaking beauty!

Last edited by dsch; 06/28/13 12:47 AM.
Debussy, "Valse Romantique", a friend of mine is supposed to bring me a copy from France. I asked a friend so I can see what music from France woud look like.

When I travel to Europe, I am going to try to locate authentic piano music and bring them back home. wink

I did bring back some ukelele music books from Hawaii, but don't ask me how to play ukelele, confused

Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If staying with piano music, it will have to be two moments in the finale of Rach 3, near the end. The first when quiet chords on the piano (following some brilliant passagework by the pianist, then a drum roll) usher in the 'beginning of the end' and the fireworks step up a notch. And the second is the martial toccata-like stuff on the piano (accompanied by string pizzicati), leading up to the final flourish, and then the Big Tune. Rachmaninov certainly knows how to build up anticipation - and then gratification.... grin.

If orchestral music, I have several, including the reprise of the main tune pp by the soloist in the slow movement of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto, with the orchestra providing just a soft cushion (and no longer repeating the same phrases as at the beginning - it's all down to the soloist). Truly magical in the right hands.

And in Mahler's 'Resurrection' Symphony in the Ländler second movement, the restatement of the lovely tune by the strings, but in hushed pizzicati, then an arco soaring counter-melody, with great effect...

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D959 Can't seem to get enough after having recently added it to my rep.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Just now I'm fascinated by the Allemandes and Courantes of the Bach French Suites. Man oh man.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Certain chord/harmony changes that feel like a sudden "punch" or "stab."

For example: Liszt Sonata. Page 23 of the PDF file (page 21 of the sheet music), second to last line, second measure (the one with triple forte). LOVE that harmonic shift.
http://conquest.imslp.info/files/im..._-_S178_Sonata_in_B_minor__Schirmer_.pdf Here is the moment in a recording: http://youtu.be/Ii3bGYw-SvQ?t=13m26s

Another moment, in choral music: Agnus Dei movement of Frank Martin's Mass for double unaccompanied choir. It's in the middle of a climactic moment, and all of a sudden (when the page turns on this video), the E minor chord jumps out, and feels like a huge "punch" to me. http://youtu.be/hQTMrs0DMsI?t=3m36s

The modulation at the end of Great Gate of Kiev has a different effect on me, but is approached in a similar way of big harmonic changes/shifting, and it still feels super cool, haha. http://youtu.be/47L3lrE3l0o?t=6m53s

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The ending to the first movement of the Ginastera Sonata. Wow.

Love the Kapustin Toccatina right now, especially the part where it gets a tad more lyrical.

I am loving the first piece in Goyescas as well. Just beautifully written.

And of course, the Ondine climax remains my favorite musical moment.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Those 8 bars in scarbo right before the slow tempo comes back (just after the first climax). It's the most human, and vulnerable section in possibly the entire set.

Then there's all of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony..

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
One of my favorites is what I might call the two mini-cadenzas in the 1st movement of Brahms 2nd piano concerto. Looking on IMSLP, they appear to start at measures 145 and 303, respectively. Chordal triplets in the right hand with very deep bass notes in the left. Because the preceding music is so warm, tender, and stately, these short piano solos provide a sharp contrast to the surrounding music. All this angst and agitation seems to arise out of nowhere, and creates a wonderful kind of emotional dissonance and drama. I always find myself looking forward to the opening chord of these passages.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The transition from the middle section back to the modified first section in Rachmaninoff's Prelude Op. 23, 5. Love how the tension builds with the tempo slowly speeding up and the dynamics rising at the same time.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Old Man
One of my favorites is what I might call the two mini-cadenzas in the 1st movement of Brahms 2nd piano concerto. Looking on IMSLP, they appear to start at measures 145 and 303, respectively. Chordal triplets in the right hand with very deep bass notes in the left. Because the preceding music is so warm, tender, and stately, these short piano solos provide a sharp contrast to the surrounding music. All this angst and agitation seems to arise out of nowhere, and creates a wonderful kind of emotional dissonance and drama. I always find myself looking forward to the opening chord of these passages.

I absolutely love those sections!! I know where you're talking about smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by JoelW
Our favorite passages are always changing. How about you share some of your current kicks? I love exploring them.

Right now I'm pretty into Chopin 45. The distribution of the melody in two registers is just so perfect. 1:31 in this video.

I am puzzled. Where do you see the "distribution of the melody in two registers" in this work?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think there are melodies in both the middle and upper register? Or maybe the ascending eighth note figures that lead to the top?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I think there are melodies in both the middle and upper register? Or maybe the ascending eighth note figures that lead to the top?

I see all the rising eight-note figurations as part of the harmonic accompaniment. The way I'm playing and conceiving the piece, bringing out those eight-note figures would put focus where I don't want it and would, somewhat, destroy the forward movement.

Looking at the notation carefully, starting at measure 6, the upper line has a half-rest and the melody doesn't start until the middle of the measure (second beat if you're counting in cut time; third beat if you're counting in four). Similarly, all the way through, the first beat (two beats (in four)) is a half rest suggesting to me that the figure rising underneath is not part of the melody but part of the accompaniment.

However, there's more than one way of conceiving of it; I'm sure that not everyone will agree with how I see it.

Now, if I could just really master that cadenza ....!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by JoelW

I am puzzled. Where do you see the "distribution of the melody in two registers" in this work?

Regards,

At 1:31 in the video I linked. The left hand interrupts the higher register with the melody, then the right hand comes in with the a chord that brings the melody back up to the higher register.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ohhh, I see what you mean now.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Ohhh, I see what you mean now.

Isn't it gorgeous??

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
How about that wonderful passage starting from the third measure on the 9th page of this score of Chopin's Op 52 with that amazing polyrhythm, and then that amazing harmonic transition with the heart-rending chord at the end of the seventh measure.

I have some more coming up in my next post when I get a chance.

Regards,

Polyphonist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That spot is fantastic, Poly! I remember the moment that jumped out to me the most in the fourth Ballade is actually on the next page: the third and fourth measures of that page.

(Is Mark C anywhere in the building?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission