Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2109533 - 06/28/13 09:04 AM Volodos Mompou PDF
daoc2009 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,

Volodos has brought out a new CD last month.

He plays a transcription of a song called Damunt de tu nomes les flors. To quite wonderful effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iof9mAbNx0s

I have the PDF sheet music, very new piece from 2012, if anyone wants it.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2115327 - 07/09/13 08:13 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
Paul Heneghan Offline

Yes please! Wonderful song - very good transcription. Love the French/Spanish mixture of harmonies.

#2115330 - 07/09/13 08:27 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I am pretty sure that distributing the music is a copyright violation.

#2115685 - 07/10/13 01:39 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: BDB]
daoc2009 Offline

Loc: UK
Ah well, the other volodos transcriptions are freely avaliable also though and im sure the people making the notes didn't get the permission of volodos anyway so I dont see what the problem Is, its such good music though should be more well known.

#2115827 - 07/10/13 07:48 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Do they get the permission of Mompou's publisher?

#2115834 - 07/10/13 08:06 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Interestingly, if it's Volodos' transcription, and he never copyrighted it, there may not be a copyright violation at all. The letter of the law is, from my understanding, a little vague here. Copyright can be filed for written works and for sound production works, but they are (for the most part) entirely separate. So, if one filed a copyright for a recording, someone else could potentially work out the notes, write it down, and file a separate copyright for the written work.

I believe there may have been one or two similar cases in the movies, where filmmakers did not copyright the script, but filed for copyright on the motion picture itself. Then, others can watch the film, create their own script, and distribute it.

Further, as long as you are not making a profit, I don't believe there is really any remuneration the violated party could seek in the case of a copyright that wasn't filed. (For example, I believe you can take someone to court and demand that they stop producing their product based on copyright, but unless you've actually filed the copyright, I don't believe you can sue for damages. So, if you haven't made a profit, there would be no monetary value to your pursuit that you could potentially owe someone who hadn't filed the copyright.)

If there are any lawyers in here, I'd like to hear from them.. this is just my 2c cursory understanding of a pretty complex law.

#2123680 - 07/27/13 06:55 AM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
toyboy Offline

Loc: Vermont
I just want to add my 2 cents in defense of poor neglected Mompou. I am not saying the following to toot my own horn, but rather toot Mompou's piano. I made my own transcription of this, and adhered to his notes, adding the vocal line to the piano accompaniment, sharing both between right and left hand as needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApIdUvr254U

The piece itself has a very simple, haunting beauty, mourning death. The lines, based on a poem about the death of a lover, describe putting roses petals on her body. Here is a recording of one of the loveliest performances I've found, with Mompou at the piano and Victoria de los Angeles singing (at Mompou's home I believe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKf6UMKdW9U

Compare either to Volodos arrangement (NOT a transcription!). Perhaps you will be more liberal in your attitude than I. What Volodos does is gild the lilly. And I have had to wonder why he did this other than bring attention to his skills as an arranger (NOT a transcriber). He ruins the spirit of this piece by turning it into a virtuoso showpiece. No, there may not be any copyright violation with Mompou, but if I know Mompou (as much if not more than most) I believe he'd be quiet about this, as was his nature, but I strongly doubt he'd offer any praise to it.

#2123714 - 07/27/13 08:54 AM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: toyboy]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: toyboy
I just want to add my 2 cents in defense of poor neglected Mompou.

Good afternoon. Just to add my 2 cents in defense of poor Arcadi Volodos, I don't think that Mompou needs to be defendedn against Volodos. I mean, you may not be convinced by the arrangement but Volodos is clearly singing praises for the work of Frederic Mompou. For my part, I think that what he does here is superbe.

Damunt de tu nomes les flors. Above you, only the flowers.

#2125419 - 07/30/13 05:09 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: landorrano]
toyboy Offline

I'll see your 2 cents and add another 2 cents. I don't think Mr. Volodos is "poor" at all, either figuratively as you suggest, nor literally, and hardly needs defending. What does need defending, and what I would like to know from Volodos himself, are his motives. And even were he to say, "I am expressing my love for this piece" I'd have to say, so effing what? If Mr. Volodos loves it so much why not just perform it from the score, and interpret it as he, and the singer, feels it? Or, as I suggested, make a transcription of it?

I fail to see this arrangement as a "clear tribute". And anyway, I'm not even talking about a tribute. I could care less whether Mr. Volodos wishes to make a tribute. Let him go to Mompou's grave, and place flowers on it! I'm talking about performing the music. Period. Very generally speaking, I personally don't see an arrangement as any sort of tribute, as what you hear, for the most part, are "riffs" taken on what for the most part is already a succinct statement. Another example of a classical artist doing this would be Stephen Hough's clever arrangements of "My Favorite Things". Even a "lounge lizard" arrangement of Gershwin tunes is about the arrangement, not the Gershwin itself. I understand, with a degree of weariness, that we live now in an age of arrangements, samplings, etc. But they are USING original material, nothing more.

Yes, of course, it is plausible that after hearing Volodos' take on this otherwise simple, heartfelt song, someone would go back to the original. All well and good I suppose. But had Mr. Volodos simply paired up with Dawn Upshaw (or ...name your favorite singer of contemporary work here....) it seems to me that that is truer singing of praise. Just what is so "wrong" with that?

I'm sorry if I sound something of a crank on this, but hearing this arrangement really got me upset. And sorry, I just don't buy name dropping "Arcadi Volodos" as a valid reason for it.

#2125890 - 07/31/13 01:55 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: toyboy]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Good evening.

Volodos' take on this otherwise simple, heartfelt song

The body of work known as classical music is founded in great part on takes on otherwise simple, heartfelt songs.

As for Volodos' motivation, why not write him and ask? It might be the start of a beautiful relationship.

#2125949 - 07/31/13 03:29 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: landorrano]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: landorrano
Good evening.

The body of work known as classical music is founded in great part on takes on otherwise simple, heartfelt songs.
Hard for me to imagine what you mean here. The point of the post you took this snippet from was that the poster felt Volodos' transcription of the simple song was too overblown.

#2126504 - 08/01/13 04:06 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: landorrano]
toyboy Offline

Originally Posted By: landorrano
Good evening.

As for Volodos' motivation, why not write him and ask? It might be the start of a beautiful relationship.

er, yes. but your point? Again, this is not an original composed piece by Mr. Volodos, but an arrangement. And Mompou's music is not some sort of "found" folk melody. I am not arguing that arrangements and variations don't occur. I am just wondering what the purpose of this arrangement is other than another platform for Volodos to show how virtuosic he can be.

But, sure I accept your point about writing him. What's his address? :o)

Edited by toyboy (08/01/13 04:06 PM)

#2126544 - 08/01/13 05:41 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: toyboy]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Good evening.

But, sure I accept your point about writing him. What's his address? :o)

VERMONT CLASSICS
Till Janczukowicz
Reinhardtstrasse 47
10117 Berlin
Tel.: 030-20648078
Fax: 030-20453480
E-Mail: tj@vermont-classics.com

No irony intended, drop him a line. I'll bet you a beer that he gets back to you when he sees that you, like him, have a deep appreciation of the music of Frederic Mompou.

Edited by landorrano (08/01/13 05:41 PM)

#2126548 - 08/01/13 05:50 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You got me thinking so I had a look at the Volodos website, and lo and behold!

Eine Entdeckung: Arcadi Volodos spielt Klavierwerke des Katalanen Frederic Mompou

Die Musik des katalanische Komponisten Federico Mompou (1893-1987) kennt kaum jemand. Zu Unrecht, glaubt Arcadi Volodos und widmet seine neue Solo-CD komplett dieser außergewöhnlichen Musikerpersönlichkeit. Das Erbe der spanischen Komponisten Enrique Granados und Isaac Albéniz fortsetzend, sind Mompous Werke von subtiler Zartheit, geheimnisvoll innig und von impressionistisch schillernder Farbigkeit. Mompous Vorbilder sind in seinen zahlreichen Klavierstücken stets präsent: Frédéric Chopin, Alexander Skrjabin, Erik Satie und Claude Debussy. Und doch errichtet Mompou hieraus seinen eigenen, unaufgeregten und in dieser Art bisher völlig ungehörten neuen Kosmos-eine Entdeckung.

Ausgewählt hat Volodos Stücke aus Mompous Werkzyklen „Scènes d´Enfants“ (1915-18), „Charmes“ (1920/21) und der „Música callada“ (1959-1967), die der Komponist am meisten schätzte. Arcadi Volodos hat in den letzten Jahren im Konzert regelmäßig Werke des Katalanen gespielt. So schrieb die „Süddeutsche Zeitung“ über Volodos’ „tiefe Sensibilität für beseelte Nuancenkunst“.

Geprägt haben den in Barcelona geborenen Komponisten insbesondere seine Aufenthalte in Paris. Ab 1911 lernte er dort als Kompositionsstudent die Musiksprache von Satie und Debussy kennen. Zwischen 1921 und 1941 kam Mompou in Paris auch mit der berühmten Komponistengruppe „Les Six“ um Darius Milhaud und Francis Poulenc in Berührung. Von 1941 an lebte Mompou wieder in Barcelona, wo er am 30. Juni 1987 im Alter von 94 Jahren starb. Federico Mompou wurde von Komponisten und Interpreten gleichermaßen geschätzt. So schrieb er etwa das Prélude Nr. 7 für die spanische Grande Dame des Klavierspiels, Alicia de Larrocha. Und sein Zyklus „Les Scènes d’enfants” wurde 1936 von dem Komponistenkollegen und Freund Alexandre Tansman orchestriert. Mompous bedeutendstes Klavierwerk ist die „Música Callada“, die aus 28 zauberhaft schlichten Stücken besteht. Der Titel geht auf ein gleichnamiges Gedicht des spanischen Mystikers San Juan de la Cruz (1542-1591) zurück und lautet übersetzt „Musik des Schweigens“.

In a word, Volodos loves Mompou.

Edited by landorrano (08/01/13 05:52 PM)

#2141876 - 08/31/13 03:59 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: landorrano]
toyboy Offline

Oh gosh, what did I start. I wasn't questioning the fact that he may or may not love MOmpou. He's recorded a whole CD of his music, as I understand it (Haven't listened to it). BUt great travesty has been done in the name of love. We know that. Don't we?

As for my writing, maybe I will. It's easier to take potshots here.

#2208516 - 01/05/14 06:59 AM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
Madamede Offline

Hello,
I'm very very new on this forum ...
I would be extremely happy to get the score of this transcription, if it's ok even with the (french) unknown...
I looked for the score everywhere on the web, was ready to pay for it, but my search was desperately unsuccessful.

Wish you, and the other members of this forum, the very best for 2014.

Franoise

#2208555 - 01/05/14 09:31 AM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bonjour Franoise, et sois la bienvenue!

Le "OP" (original poster) daoc2009 crit qu'il peut fournir na partition en PDF. Si tu l'envoyes un message priv il sera averti par ml. Pas mal l'internet, n'est-ce pas!

Ma fille me dit que dans le calendrier rpublicain aujourd'hui serait Silex 16 Nivse, An CCXXII. Alors, Citoyennnes et citoyens, bonne dimanche!

#2291643 - 06/18/14 12:23 PM Re: Volodos Mompou PDF [Re: daoc2009]
Daviaud Offline

CAN you send it to me ? I lov it
gdaviaud@orange.fr

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
10/24/14 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, Alexander Borro, ajames, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1579 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158474 Topics
2327312 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission