Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 23 of 32 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#2130659 - 08/10/13 06:41 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Welcome back Ganddalf - good luck with getting your fingers working again! Yesterday I got a bit of a shock myself when I realised that I can now only bend the end joint of the 4th finger of my Right Hand about 0.6cm and the end joints of other fingers in that hand by not much more - I guess old age comes to us all (though I'm only 50!!). Anyway, enough of that...)

THE DECISION
If you were following the discussion on this thread a couple of days ago about how to present this recital (one thread per opus, or a single thread....and where to put comments), we have some feedback for you now after some further consideration by the opleds, and here it is:

The consensus is firmly in favour of ONE THREAD PER OPUS. COMMENTS IN THE SAME THREAD.

There will also be a MASTER THREAD with links to the other threads, to act as a single point of contact for the whole recital. This will make it easier for people to find what they want - such as looking for pieces in different opa performed by the same person, and in any case saves scrolling down the list of threads on the forum.

We are hopeful that this master could be 'stickied'.

Now for some practice!

Edited by Dipsy (08/10/13 06:43 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2130666 - 08/10/13 06:58 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Nice solution! Thanks Helen and opleds for the result.

My website

#2130689 - 08/10/13 08:59 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I asked to my Sir the Metronome for my freedom to play my piece (Elegy 38/6), and he graciously accepted smile.

You know, when I was struggling with the Mendelssohn recital, an angel sent me a private message where I could read that sometimes it's easier to learn by feeling than trying to be serious with thecnical issues. That was one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received on the piano. And now it's time to follow it!

My website

#2130690 - 08/10/13 09:07 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: casinitaly]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
After 6 weeks of absence I'm finally back at my piano. Bit of a chock, really. My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger while holding notes with 1st and 2nd. I really hope that my hands and fingers will become more flexible very soon. I have signed up for three pieces and one of them I haven't played for years. And probably I have to complete my recordings this week. So this is going to be interesting. Maybe a bit too interesting, I'm afraid....

Yikes. I'd be stressed out!

Something that might help with the flexibility is doing a hot wax treatment on your hands. Yes, it sounds odd, I know - but it helped me at one point.

Here are some instructions:

http://beauty.about.com/od/homemadefacemask1/r/how_to_make_paraffin_wax_treatment_for_hands.htm

You probably need a helper, unless you do one hand at a time.
You obviously have to be careful that the wax isn't **TOO** hot - but truly, not only is this very soothing, your hands feel really relaxed and happy afterwards.

Hot wax? Yikes! What happens to the hair on my knuckles? cool

Sam

#2130700 - 08/10/13 09:37 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: casinitaly]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway

Something that might help with the flexibility is doing a hot wax treatment on your hands. Yes, it sounds odd, I know - but it helped me at one point.

Thanks for the advice. As a start, however, I play a little at reduced speed to see if I'm able to strech my muscles and regain some of my flexibility in that way. If this doesn't work out I'll seriously consider the wax treatment.

I'm working very hard memorising "Salon" now. Fortunately it isn't very long and contains many repetitions. But some of the chords are a bit awkward, and I need to focus in order to be able to present the piece before the deadline.

#2130703 - 08/10/13 09:44 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Sam S
After 6 weeks of absence I'm finally back at my piano. Bit of a chock, really. My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger while holding notes with 1st and 2nd. I really hope that my hands and fingers will become more flexible very soon. I have signed up for three pieces and one of them I haven't played for years. And probably I have to complete my recordings this week. So this is going to be interesting. Maybe a bit too interesting, I'm afraid....

Yikes. I'd be stressed out!

Here are some instructions:

http://beauty.about.com/od/homemadefacemask1/r/how_to_make_paraffin_wax_treatment_for_hands.htm

You probably need a helper, unless you do one hand at a time.
You obviously have to be careful that the wax isn't **TOO** hot - but truly, not only is this very soothing, your hands feel really relaxed and happy afterwards.

Hot wax? Yikes! What happens to the hair on my knuckles? cool

Sam

lol...it isn't that kind of wax! It just peels off gently.

Gandalf --- good luck with the stretches and those tricky chords!

#2130719 - 08/10/13 10:26 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Ganddalf]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Ganddalf - I wish you well! Grieg has more than his fair share of finger stretching torture . . just how much can an older fella take?? I`m just finding out!

""

#2130722 - 08/10/13 10:35 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Not even a week yet since I've returned from being away for a month with minimal practicing. There's always so much catching up to do when you're away from home for a while, and I finally feel unburied from all the paperwork and some of the housework.

The two pieces 65/1 and 71/5 shouldn't take too much more work to get them at performance level and fully memorized, but the 62/6 that I just took on really needs some hammering down. Luckily, 62/6 is in ABA form and shouldn't be difficult to memorize and put together technically.

Hopefully this weekend will allow me to get a good start on that last piece.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2130821 - 08/10/13 02:16 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I'm glad that there's going to be an individual thread per opus.. it got to be difficult at towards the end of the Mendelssohn to get to the new pieces.

Recaredo - your Venetian Boat song was so beautiful! I'm sure you'll hit this one out of the park smile

I need to buckle down with mine as well.. it's comforting that I'm not alone.

#2130918 - 08/10/13 05:18 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
yester Offline

ok, just four weeks left...
My first piece, grandmothers menuet will be ready in time (hope so at least).

But I really don't know if I can finish my second piece, french serenade, in time.
I'm technically able to play it (first I wasn't sure about that) but it's more complex than any other piece I have played so far so progress is real slow, even if I work in truly small chunks.

I don't want to stop my work on this piece because I love it, but if somebody else would like to present it in the recital I would be pleased.
In this case I will present it in one of the upcoming monthly bars.

So, anybody out there responding to a S.O.S call?

Edited by yester (08/10/13 05:21 PM)

#2130941 - 08/10/13 05:59 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Hi Yester,

Quote:
[/quote]....But I really don't know if I can finish my second piece, french serenade, in time.
I'm technically able to play it...[quote]

I think you're one step ahead of me then! Did you know that in the last recital one of the players had so many other commitments that he had to submit a recording of part of his piece? And unless you'd been following the music it would have been hard to tell.

It'd be a shame if you didn't do it - many of us know that what we do won't be perfect - we're stretching ourselves, but we do the best we can in the time available.

As things stand it looks like we'll be able to put on the full set of lyric pieces - but watch this space. There'll be an update tomorrow hopefully.

#2130966 - 08/10/13 06:55 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"As things stand it looks like we'll be able to put on the full set of lyric pieces -"

That sounds like a heck of an achievement. Some o` those pieces aren`t easy . . . .Well done to all concerned for bringing this to fruition!

""

#2131068 - 08/11/13 01:51 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
AZ_Astro Online   content

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
A brief update.

I am playing Opus 12, No 8, Fedrelandssang, which translates to Fatherland.

Thankfully, it is a one-pager with some repetition, but some of the chords are quirky and not exactly intuitive.

It has taken me about a month to put the piece to memory and I can now play the piece through in its entirety, left and right hands combined. But it is stop and go. Make a mistake and replay. Replay. Replay. Get it right.

I play the song through, usually twice per session, and I try to do two or three sessions a day (before work, at lunch, and in the evening). So I'm getting a lot of reps. I'm so slow I need it.

I am pretty far off the pace, based on other recordings that I have listened to. But I am confident that I will have SOMETHING COHERENT in another month. As a newbie, this one small piece has been all I can handle. I am amazed to hear that some others are handling two or three.

Anyhoo, best wishes to all and good luck with your pieces!

AZ_Astro

#2131084 - 08/11/13 03:06 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: peterws]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: peterws
...Grieg has more than his fair share of finger stretching torture . . just how much can an older fella take?? I`m just finding out!

Old ladies too! I am finding the same thing. Melody stretches the right hand and Impromptu stretches both. I will be glad to get these pieces recorded! Still, I have to say I have learned a lot from them. I like them both, but they have been hard on my hands.

#2131090 - 08/11/13 03:42 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

My hands are swollen today. I played for several hours yeaterday trying to catch up some of the effects of the summer holidays. I have too many projects - this recital, two upcoming local concerts where I take part as an accompanist, and the the quarterly ABF recital with deadline in a couple of days. The last one I should probably skip.

The first concert is Bob Chillcot's Requiem. The performance date is September 1st. This mass is usually performed with an orchestra, but the choir cannot afford this, and I have to play the piano reduction which is difficult. And between September 2nd and 11th I'm abroard. Therefore I have to completemy recordings for this recital as soon as possible, preferably this week. My advantge is that I knew Op.65/6 pretty well from earlier days, but I have a job to do to fight the effects of previous bad habits. The other pieces are new to me, but fortunately they are short.

The second concert is together with three vocal soloists. This is fortunately in October, but I'm afraid the singers want rehersals already in August. This, of course, also takes time, because I'll need to look at the music before the rehersals.

So I'm a bit stressed. But not more than I can handle.

#2131174 - 08/11/13 10:44 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Ganddalf - hope your hand feels better.

Edited by FarmGirl (08/11/13 11:04 AM)
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2131236 - 08/11/13 01:28 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

Gandalf - ouch - that's a lot on your plate -and now your hands are swollen.
frown not good.

Please be careful ! We don't want to see you with an injury above and beyond this problem!

#2131360 - 08/11/13 06:25 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Ganddalf]

My hands are swollen today. I played for several hours yeaterday trying to catch up some of the effects of the summer holidays. I have too many projects - this recital, two upcoming local concerts where I take part as an accompanist, and the the quarterly ABF recital with deadline in a couple of days. The last one I should probably skip.

The first concert is Bob Chillcot's Requiem. The performance date is September 1st. This mass is usually performed with an orchestra, but the choir cannot afford this, and I have to play the piano reduction which is difficult. And between September 2nd and 11th I'm abroard. Therefore I have to completemy recordings for this recital as soon as possible, preferably this week. My advantge is that I knew Op.65/6 pretty well from earlier days, but I have a job to do to fight the effects of previous bad habits. The other pieces are new to me, but fortunately they are short.

The second concert is together with three vocal soloists. This is fortunately in October, but I'm afraid the singers want rehersals already in August. This, of course, also takes time, because I'll need to look at the music before the rehersals.

So I'm a bit stressed. But not more than I can handle.
And remember, no sense in killing yourself over a piece (meaning the Chillcot). Especially not a transcription. No shame in simplifying some areas that are probably barely playable to begin with.

#2131518 - 08/12/13 02:14 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Morodiene]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"No shame in simplifying some areas . . "
I`ve been doin` that for years . . . blush cool Ya found me out at last

""

#2131522 - 08/12/13 02:56 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Morodiene]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
And remember, no sense in killing yourself over a piece (meaning the Chillcot). Especially not a transcription. No shame in simplifying some areas that are probably barely playable to begin with.

You are right. The Chillcot piano reduction is virtually unplayable in its original form, and I have to simplify. But even the process of simplification takes time. Fortunalely I'll be "covered" by the choir much of the time, and occasional misses will hardly be possible to hear.

I decided to skip the quartely recital. And during the weekend my hands have got more or less back to normal. After some warming up even trilling with the outer fingers works. And I have been able to memorise my new pieces. There are still some details I would like to polish, but probably the "red dot" will be the greatest challenge.

#2131523 - 08/12/13 03:18 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

Gandalf - sorry to hear you're skipping the quarterly recital, but...clearly something has to go!

I'm VERY happy to hear that your hands are much improved! (But you just might want to try the hot wax treatment anyway -it is very soothing!)

As for the red dot... in another thread, Richard suggested recording every day to simply get used to the thing....I have been doing that for a week now and find that it is actually less intimidating. It is just "there". Of course the test will be when I try recording for "real" and see how that goes, but I do feel it will be better. (and who knows,.... during one of my daily sessions I just may get that special take that will be my current best, and I'll submit it!)

#2131603 - 08/12/13 08:47 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Ganddalf]

You are right. The Chillcot piano reduction is virtually unplayable in its original form, and I have to simplify. But even the process of simplification takes time. Fortunalely I'll be "covered" by the choir much of the time, and occasional misses will hardly be possible to hear.

I decided to skip the quartely recital. And during the weekend my hands have got more or less back to normal. After some warming up even trilling with the outer fingers works. And I have been able to memorise my new pieces. There are still some details I would like to polish, but probably the "red dot" will be the greatest challenge.
Darn that red dot! Maybe if it weren't red, but something less judgmental and threatening, like a nice green or teal color....why don't manufacturers think of this?

#2131626 - 08/12/13 09:26 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Morodiene]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Darn that red dot! Maybe if it weren't red, but something less judgmental and threatening, like a nice green or teal color....why don't manufacturers think of this?

My Zoom H1 doesn't have a red dot and it doesn't seem to matter ...

Kawai K3

#2131629 - 08/12/13 09:36 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Really? Pushing the record button doesn't turn some light red? My Zooms have a red light.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2131749 - 08/12/13 12:24 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Morodiene]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto

I record the audio to a USB stick. One stick I have pulses blue. It flashes brightly and quickly during recording. I'd be much happier with a red dot that just stays there and does nothing.

#2131930 - 08/12/13 05:17 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

My zoom has a red dot. But I'm afraid it wouldn't have helped even with a greenish violet one. Somehow I feel recording more difficult than playing for a live audience. During a live recital I always feel very nervous for the first 2 - 3 minutes, but afterwards I usually calm down and start enjoying playing. When recording I get the same level of tension every time I start anew. I'm particularly concerned about "Wedding day at Troldhaugen" since this is a rather long piece. Getting a decent recording of this piece may take quite some time.

#2132064 - 08/12/13 11:30 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I just ordered my zoom again. My dog jumped at the table where I placed the zoom and dropped it on the floor. It did not completely die but started declining in performance. I here Bzzzzzzzz sound all over now. I'm getting exactly the same model. I could not make it to the ABF recital but will be ready for this one.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2132094 - 08/13/13 01:42 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Ganddalf]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
I wish you the best, Ganddalf, with the Chillcot. I’ve no doubt the piano accompaniment could be reduced to something very manageable but that's an additional job which will inevitably eat into your available time.

Your Wedding Day at Troldhaugen is one of the most difficult pieces but I’m sure a lot of us are going to be stretched – that’s bound to be reflected in less than perfect performances so you’ll be in good company. My 68,3 is presentable but it’s the easiest of the three (with Sylph that’ll be four….still counting on niluh01 to show up!). I’ve got no better than fall-back recordings of my two op.57 pieces so I’m likely to be working on trying to improve those right up to the wire.

#2132887 - 08/14/13 05:26 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Attention all! We have a piece that needs an owner! Yes, just when you thought all the Lyric Pieces had been snatched up, this lovely and unique piece is on offer.

Opus 57, No. 6, Homesickness

It's the last piece in the linked score, #41.

Give it a whirl, and let us know that you want it!

Recorded pieces are due September 10, but Opus 57 won't be posted until September 20, so a little negotiation with the opus leader (that's me) would win you an extension past the 10th. That gives you more than a month to learn this little gem.

Vote early, vote often, and don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity!

#2132957 - 08/14/13 08:22 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Kind of a big gem in comparison to many of these pieces … grin

It's 2.5 times as long as both of mine combined!
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

Page 23 of 32 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31 32 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (Acevle, Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1421 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156324 Topics
2295843 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
19 minutes 14 seconds ago
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
30 minutes 31 seconds ago
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Hoping for some suggestions/starting point for home keyboard
by Kubla
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Brass
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission