Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2095058 - 06/04/13 04:24 AM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: Piano Rookie]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
CA15 has a two generation older (assumably simpler, using less HW ressources) built in sound engine, than the CA65. (PHI -> UPHI -> HI-XL)

You should be able to compare these through headphones.

Amp/Boxes may be favorable for one or the other, with regard to your personal taste.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2095064 - 06/04/13 04:43 AM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: MIXIO]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Yeh - the PHI is indeed older, but...as far as I know based on the same sample set. I understood UPHI has one extra velocity layer (of course smoothed by the PHI processing) , so you might notice that when you compare them hitting fff back to back due too different samples being played. Perhaps the HI-XL has even more layers, or simply just longer samples. Anyway - in my understanding the two are still based on the very same recordings and sample set. Differences may occur due to :

- other sound imaging of the cabinet / speakers / placement of the DP in the room (try compare them over the same headphone !!)
- other velocities being played, hard to hit the exact same level on both instruments
- other preset and / or other programming of the preset ; meaning other Virtual Technician settings.
- other effect sound ; try comparing them completely dry !

If there is indeed a difference in the samples being used between PHI , UHPI en HI-XL (apart from length and maybe an extra layer), perhaps James can clarify. Then you don't have to tear your hairs out on this any longer , doubting if what you hear is true or imaginary. Is that classified and top secret info , James ? Not asking the source code of the processing, just if it is possible there are indeed other base samples being used here and there , between PHI en HI-XL.

#2095068 - 06/04/13 04:55 AM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: JFP]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: JFP
I understood UPHI has one extra velocity layer...

This is not correct. UPHI requires twice as much memory as PHI.

The default 'Concert Grand' sound for HI, PHI, UPHI, and HI-XL all utilise the same source audio recordings. However sample lengths, degree of expressive detail, amount of memory, and quality of processing differ considerably from entry-level (e.g. CL26) to flagship (e.g. CA95) models.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2095109 - 06/04/13 08:36 AM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: MIXIO]
overton Offline

I can attest to the noisy sound on some notes of my CA65.
It is heard in the voices of Grand Piano, Studio Grand, Mellow Grand, Jazz Grand, Upright Piano.
It looks like a quiet rattle, squeak, "bzzzz" and this can be heard in the headphones and speakers.
It should be noted that on the votes of Concert Grand 2, Studio Grand 2, Mellow Grand 2, Jazz2 e.t.c the noise can be heard.
I think this is the result of poor performance synthesizer or effects circuit, no amplifier and speakers. No other music or sounds do not give this noise. I have playing on CA65 mp3-files, and did not hear any noise, even at very high volume. I have played all organs, e-pianos voices, assuming that there is some resonance frequencies corresponding to those notes. No, the only reason is a synthesizer or sound samples.
As is clear, the problem occurs, the case is not unique. We are waiting for an explanation from the representatives of the Kawai.

PS. If necessary, I can make a recording of these notes sounds, which will be heard the noise.

#2095111 - 06/04/13 08:42 AM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: overton]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: overton
We are waiting for an explanation from the representatives of the Kawai.

To clarify are you already in contact with your Kawai distributor and/or Kawai Europe? If so, I would certainly recommend providing recordings of the sounds you hear. It may also be worth turning all of the Virtual Technician enhancements off.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2095206 - 06/04/13 11:44 AM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: Kawai James]
Piano Rookie Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

It may also be worth turning all of the Virtual Technician enhancements off.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James,

thanks for this suggestion! We didn't try that. What the dealer did however was a "factory reset" in order to make sure the sound was not due to someone having changed the settings of the VT. However, this probably does not turn off the settings but just activates the defaults.

Is there a way to turn off all additional effects in a simple way or has this to be done for each individual setting? I would try that out next time I go to the shop (it's further away so I can't just drop by)

Cheers

Piano Rookie

#2095215 - 06/04/13 12:05 PM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: Piano Rookie]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
I would suggest to turn off the noises for pedals, dampers, strings at first - these produced the most disturbing bad by-sounds with my SW pianos, producing unnatural "pneumatic" sounds like whahh of chorus effects.

(I turned it off with my VD, however, I am more willing to bring up a forgiving attitude towards SW pianos, when they are not optimized with a certain MIDI controller, than to a DP, which should have been tested as a package by the manufacturer.)

#2095478 - 06/04/13 05:31 PM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: Piano Rookie]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano Rookie
Is there a way to turn off all additional effects in a simple way or has this to be done for each individual setting? I would try that out next time I go to the shop (it's further away so I can't just drop by)

Each setting must be adjusted individually.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2102446 - 06/14/13 11:50 AM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: MIXIO]
Piano Rookie Offline

Update: The dealer has checked with Kawai:

i) The reason for the difference in sound between the CA-15 and the CA-65 is said to mainly be the different type of amp/speaker system. The (grand piano) sounds should essentially be of the same character.

ii) Thanks mainly to the built-in equalizer it should be possible to tune the sound of the CA-65 such that the two instruments will match - within acceptable errors bars, I assume, but that would be perfectly fine with me. He will verify this using the instruments in his shop. If the result is positive my progress bar of buying a CA-65 is at 99%.

@Kawai James: In the meantime there are a couple of questions which came to my mind:

i) Is it in general thinkable on the software side to update the musical data of the instruments in the years to come, e.g. to add or replace existing samples by newer and (better?) ones?

ii) If I understand correctly the samples recorded from the Kawai Grand Piano are used for all the grand piano sounds in the CA-65. Is it possible to say from which actual instruments the other sounds (e.g. uprights) have been sampled?

iii) Are there preset configurations available, which can be loaded onto the CA-65? I understand that all settings have to be adjusted individually. With the number of these settings being quite high the combinations are numerous and I suspect that it takes a long time to figure out a good configuration. This of course depends on the local situation and personal taste, but it may be good to have some pre-defined points to start from.

It would be great if it is possible to get some information on these things.

Cheers

Piano Rookie

#2109637 - 06/28/13 12:14 PM Re: KAWAI CA 65 [Re: MIXIO]
Piano Rookie Offline

Update: I ended up buying the CA 65 and am very happy with it.

I'll have to tune the settings but that's ok.

Cheers

Piano Rookie

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (36251, a-z0-9, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1570 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156270 Topics
2294989 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need progression lesson
by Maarkr
47 minutes 38 seconds ago
What's "Héroïde-élégiaque"?
by Goomer Piles
Today at 09:01 PM
Opinions on Roland F130R
by Laerai
Today at 08:00 PM
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
Today at 07:02 PM
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
Today at 05:20 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission