Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2104603 - 06/18/13 07:30 PM Any other opinions on Isolation Xformer/Power Conditioner
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I need some kind of power supply isolation or conditioning. I can get some odd things happening. I know it has to be coming through the power line. I can hear it in my monitors. Sometimes my new Mac is slow. Appearing to be fighting something...am sure it's the power supply.

I'm looking at a good power conditioner from TrippLite. Good name brand. 1.2KW.
But then there is an absolute Isolation Transformer from TrippLite. Only 250W. Cost the same as the power conditioner above. Would need two of these boys.
Both are priced the same for each unit.

I'm thinking the power conditioner is good enough. Perhaps better? Any opinions from you engineering boys?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2104613 - 06/18/13 07:53 PM Re: Any other opinions on Isolation Xformer/Power Conditioner [Re: rnaple]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
I don't think putting your computer onto a power conditioner is helpful. If you need a power conditioner at all, that would be a waste of capacity. Power issues would not be able to mess up your computer (without crashing your whole system) other than its analog audio interface.

That said, I understand why you might want one. My speakers make a loud popping noise every time someone switches the bathroom fan on or off. This is because switching on and off a large load like a fan causes large voltage spikes which isn't filtered out by my amplifier.

Here are the things I would do in order:

1) Use external USB audio interface. This can be separately powered. Use an audio hum isolator going from your audio interface to your speaker amplifier.
2) Put your speakers on a power conditioner. I've been thinking of doing this in order to fix the popping I mention. The power draw of my speaker amplifiers is less than 20W, although I'm not sure a tiny power conditioner would be able to handle any large transients.

#1 only needs less than 5W so you can probably get a cheap power conditioner. #2 might only need 50W at most.

You definitely want to use an external audio interface anyway, because the onboard motherboard ones are not very good. They have lots of digital noise coupled onto them (you might hear high-pitched squealing if you do some CPU-intensive tasks). For example, if I plug my headphones into my motherboard audio output and have no audio playing, I can hear squealing everytime I scroll in my web browser.

Edited by Allan W. (06/18/13 08:05 PM)

#2104618 - 06/18/13 08:07 PM Re: Any other opinions on Isolation Xformer/Power Conditioner [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

I have to admit. The slowness might just be the internet. I'm just covering all bases. Big one is my monitors. I could hear them changing and noise getting through. Bear in mind. I have a computer speaker setup that would play some radio station with no audio connected. It's through the power line.

My monitors are 280w class A amp each.

I get a power conditioner or isolation transformer. I might as well get it for everything. Computer, keyboard, monitors.

Here is the power conditioner. Appears pretty good.
TrippLite 1.2KW

#2104625 - 06/18/13 08:19 PM Re: Any other opinions on Isolation Xformer/Power Conditioner [Re: rnaple]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Let me know if it helps. I've seen some power line filters specifically marketed for audio applications on Amazon. I don't know if they're actually radically different from industrial power line filters like the ones you've linked, or if they're just marketed for audiophiles so they could have the price jacked up.

They have a whole line-up of products: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SXWGDI/

I haven't evaluated any myself to know if they will actually improve anything in terms of audio. I'm just 100% certain that 1) you'll want an external USB audio interface anyway and 2) your computer would completely crash if its power supply was faulty at all (if ANY single bit gets inadvertently flipped then there's a chance your computer will crash. The data interfaces within a computer run at hundreds of gigabits a second, so any real power issue will crash your computer).

If you put your computer on the filtered outputs of your power line conditioner, its power supply will add its own noise to the power line. You'll filter out some external power line noise though, which might be enough.

That's why I would suggest only conditioning your audio setup.

#2104631 - 06/18/13 08:53 PM Re: Any other opinions on Isolation Xformer/Power Conditioner [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

1) The audio card in my Mac does better than the Pre Sonus USB interface I have. I don't get any noise created, etc. It's a good audio signal. I'd have to get a real good USB interface to have better. Spend some bucks. I"m working with a Mac, not a PC.

2) I apologize to inferring that my computer's power supply might have a problem When I said power supply. I meant the AC line plug in the wall. I live in an apartment building. People have all kinds of whacky, half working, goofy things plugged in. Can cause supply problems. Pulling neutral off, etc. Bad old outlet connections. Goofy things. I need to get isolated from all that.
I could imagine my computer's power supply having to sort out something going on temporarily with the AC line input. Holding up what's going on in the computer at times temporarily. I'm not sure this happens. Could?
I've got a protective outlet plugged into the wall. Plug the computer and other stuff into it. The light that indicates a ground fault on the outlet is on. This without anything plugged into the protective outlet. It might have gone bad?
Either way....would like to isolate, or protect my stuff.
I'm gonna get that conditioner. It appears to be pretty good.

Interesting thought on the computer's power supply adding noise to the power line. Something to consider. ????

EDIT: Looked at that one you linked. Doesn't say what wattage it will handle? Looks fancy. Digital Volt Meter? Lan/Phone protection and USB charging port? Fancy Fancy. Built to catch buyers?

Edited by rnaple (06/18/13 09:04 PM)

#2107963 - 06/25/13 04:55 PM Re: Any other opinions on Isolation Xformer/Power Conditioner [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

I definitely had a ground fault in that outlet. Checking with a volt meter. Only had .76V to ground from neutral. Didn't appear to be any big deal. But then, that ground is the ground socket in the outlet. Not sure how good it is? I don't have long leads on the volt meter. Can't go running to other grounds.
The power conditioner verified a ground fault there. Also a protective outlet I have did the same. Both show no fault in other outlets.
So I'm better off with the power conditioner anyways. We get some weird stuff going on with electricity here.

#2109815 - 06/28/13 05:09 PM Re: Any other opinions on Isolation Xformer/Power Conditioner [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

After three days. I gotta say this is working. Everything running smooth as silk. I'm glad I bought this. I would suggest it. Got plenty of capacity. It's foot print is less than a miniMac and it's about 5 times as tall. I'm very happy with it.
It's a very good price too.
Bear in mind. That company. If you get anything from them. I was surprised receiving this. Their website still had it as not shipped yet. Doh!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, ajames, 36251, 39 invisible), 1313 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157139 Topics
2307780 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
21 minutes 59 seconds ago
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
29 minutes 58 seconds ago
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
Today at 08:33 AM
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
Today at 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
Today at 04:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission