2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 47 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 46 47
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
They weren't written to give Chopin's or Liszt's Etudes a run for their money.

What great works were? wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hava a look at "For dine føtter" ("At your feet"). It changes the key all the time, and modulations often come surprisingly and with great effect. I think this is great music.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Let's keep in mind that the Lyric Pieces were popular music for normal people to play. They weren't written to give Chopin's or Liszt's Etudes a run for their money. They are also quite short. There is only so much one can do in 12-15 lines of music if you want some coherence and resolution.

The pieces that I looked at could easily have been written with some altered things without being made longer. I'm not sure what it means to give Chopin or Liszt "a run for their money" - that sounds like a competition. If written for "normal people" - it is harder to bring something out of very simple music without the skills of a very good musician.
I have not done any reading up on Grieg's life or what scholars have said about these Lyric pieces, so what I have to say is based on what little I know about him and of the music I've heard. It does sound to me like he was making them accessible to amateur pianists (as opposed to writing concert pieces). I've heard his concerto and played through some of it, so I know he certainly is capable of writing technically demanding pieces on par with other great composers. And not to say these pieces aren't demanding in their own way, because I have some big technical challenges in mine that will take weeks to work out.

Also, they appear to be very reflective of the folk music in Norway - not that I know what it sounds like, but these pieces have quite a folksy sound to them. I don't know if Grieg was an ethnomusicologist (I think that practice came later with Bartok and Kodaly), but perhaps Norwegian folk music has this characteristic of changing keys a lot? In my 2nd unofficial piece (71/5 Halling), there's not much by way of traditional modulations in the sense of a series of chord progressions gradually getting you to a new tonal center, but more simply shifting to a new key and repeating material there. Due to the "unsophisticated" nature of these tonal shifts, one may assume this is more a Norwegian folk music thing.

Anyone from Norway have thoughts on this?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
You have hit on two important things.

When I said "normal people" and "not giving Liszt Etudes a run," you said "accessible to amateur pianists." [And no, keystring, I was not talking about a competition among composers ... frown ]. Grieg's work was quite popular in the UK across the North Sea precisely because normal people could aspire to play it at home in the parlor. It was truly pop music, and this is not a criticism of it.

Secondly, a huge percentage of this stuff is indeed folk music and/or inspired by it. This was the time that "national music" was developing, and Grieg was a champion of that. Think of "The Five" in Russia at around the same time. Or Smetana, Dvorak and Janacek in Prague. Albeniz and Granados in Spain. The list is long (and includes Chopin from the previous generation).

Which does not change the fact that the music I'm looking at is formulaic. The same thing is transposed from key to key. And this does not make it easier for the amateur to play, because it takes more skill to try to squeeze something out of it so it doesn't sound redundant. Maybe this music was Grieg's bread and butter. But he had the skill to pull it off.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The cheap trick jibe was directed squarely at the typical pop song key change. I was careful enough (I thought!) to put a full stop before absolving Grieg of the same chicanery -
I certainly wouldn’t accuse Grieg of that [cheap trick] - he at least does it with finesse and some of his music is sublime

- I’d be hard put to make it any clearer.

Ganddalf offers a perfect example. In At Your Feet he uses modulation extensively but it's inspired and beautiful (which is why I chose it as my second piece – now I fully expect to have it confiscated from me!). In some other pieces I fancy I hear a ‘process’ at work – always effected with style, often clever, but more craft than art.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Grieg definitely was an ethnomusicologist. He spent much time listening to fiddlers, singers and people who used other traditional instruments. He collected a lot of folk tunes, and has also made quite a lot of transcritpions for the piano.

Here's an example of traditional Norwegian music played on the Hardanger fiddle.

http://youtu.be/wFAogFZIQ_I

Not many modulations here. A characteristic of the Hardanger fiddle is the presence of four sub-strings that are not touched by the bow, but adds to the harmonic spectrum. Not all people like the sound of it, and it takes some time to really understand this music. Anyhow this kind of music was one important source of inspiraion for Grieg.

You may also notice that this piece actually uses the Lydian modal scale. This is quite characteristic for Norwegian folk music, and also quite obvious in some of Grieg's music.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
One more comment about the Hardanger fiddle:

People who don't care much about the fiddle say that the strings of the ordinary fiddle are made from the intenstines of a cat. For the Hardanger fiddle they are using the whole cat. grin

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Lol! I suppose that's after rigor mortis has set in. Would the tail be the handle? And what do they do about a case to fit everything in?

Thanks for the hardanger link - that's a great sound, intricate. I hear some elements of that in what I take to be Irish and Scottish fiddle music - Cajun fiddle too although it's much more basic. I suspect some of those similaries arise out the the physical, playable aspects of the instrument rather than itinerant musicians crossing the globe, infecting each others' ideas. Maybe a bit of both?

Tere is no doubt that Grieg was inspired by local folk music, and the titles "Gangar", "Springar" og Halling" refers to Norwegian folk dances traditionally performed by fiddle or Hardanger fiddle.

But I would like to choose for my second choice a piece that is a bit more "impressionistic" - Liten Fugl opus 43 no 4. As far as I can see there has not been any battle over this one so far smile

Last edited by ragnhildK; 05/28/13 08:07 AM.
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
Grieg definitely was an ethnomusicologist. He spent much time listening to fiddlers, singers and people who used other traditional instruments. He collected a lot of folk tunes, and has also made quite a lot of transcritpions for the piano.

Here's an example of traditional Norwegian music played on the Hardanger fiddle.

I found another - this fiddler really brings out the attributes of the instrument. (enjoyable)
Haakon Solas - playing Hardanger fiddle
Thank you for introducing us to this instrument, and more about Grieg.

M
M
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

http://youtu.be/wFAogFZIQ_I

Not many modulations here. A characteristic of the Hardanger fiddle is the presence of four sub-strings that are not touched by the bow, but adds to the harmonic spectrum. Not all people like the sound of it, and it takes some time to really understand this music. Anyhow this kind of music was one important source of inspiraion for Grieg.

You may also notice that this piece actually uses the Lydian modal scale. This is quite characteristic for Norwegian folk music, and also quite obvious in some of Grieg's music.
OK, this helps a LOT with understanding my pieces! Both of them have ostinati in 5ths as well as a lot of parallel 5ths going on. I actually like the sound of this fiddle, although the lady playing is tapping her foot very slowly to a totally different beat, I can't tell if that's supposed to be like that or a bad habit. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks for posting the Hardingfele!

I think the fiddler was right on the beat laugh I dance to music like this, but some of it is, um, obscure, until one gets used to it. It's traditional for the fiddler to tap their foot so the dancers can hear, tho I'm sure long-time dancers probably don't need it. But I remember, when I first started, a friend of mine and I never did figure out if one piece was in 4/4 or 3/4 laugh But I love this music. There is Scandinavian dancing here in Santa Fe, but unfortunately for me it's on the same night as other dancing I do frown so I don't go any more. It's also turning dancing, and some times if my allergies are bad I get nauseous. But it's wonderful dancing.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe slightly off topic, but I would like to share with you an example of a short symphonic piece based on a Norwegian folk tune. It is written by an English composer, Frederick Delius and has the title "On hearing the first Cuckoo in Spring". Grieg also made an arrangement of this melody, and if I'm not completely wrong the title is "Kveld ved Olatjønna" ("Evening at the Ola pond", where Ola is a very traditional Norwegian boy's name). Unfortunately I couldn't find a link to Grieg's version, but here is the beautiful piece of Delius who spent quite a lot of time in Norway.

http://youtu.be/lTDKa64DRgQ

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
For those interested in more about Grieg's music I should also mention that he definitely mastered the short form better than extensive works, the piano concerto being the exception verifying the rule. He wrote a large number of songs for solo voice plus piano. Many of them are real masterpieces, but probably not so well known outside Norway as the text often is in Norwegian (although some of them also have text translated to German).

I have been lucky enough to do the piano part of quite a few of them. Unfortunately I have no recordings of these performances, but I give you a few examples of professional performances.

"Til våren" ("To Spring") where the piano part has been transcribed for orchestra:

http://youtu.be/H518yDjQw1c

"Jeg elsker deg" (Do I need to traslate it?)

http://youtu.be/psXoVpESlhc

"Ved gjætle-bekken" (Don't know how to translate it) This is the last song in the cycle "Haugtussa". This is formally more advaced than many of the other songs. Just notice how Grieg develops the simple theme!

http://youtu.be/1Uxkqqy9xbY

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Curious that you should mention this piece, Ganddalf, (first cuckoo) - I've known it since my childhood and bought the score during my early teens - I was completely captivated by the lush and unusual harmonies. I could never quite understand how an englishman came to have such a strange name.

Ken Russell, before he became a mainstream film-maker, did a series of biopics and one of these was devoted to Delius and his relationship with Percy Grainger - it can be found on youtube in 5 parts under the heading 'Ken Russell - Delius - Song of Summer (1968)'. I'd strongly recommend it...

(just realised it wasn't Grainger but Eric Fenby who was responsible for draughting out Delius's scores).

Last edited by dire tonic; 05/29/13 02:55 PM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dire tonic

Ken Russell, before he became a mainstream film-maker, did a series of biopics and one of these was devoted to Delius and his relationship with Percy Grainger - it can be found on youtube in 5 parts under the heading 'Ken Russell - Delius - Song of Summer (1968)'. I'd strongly recommend it...

(just realised it wasn't Grainger but Eric Fenby who was responsible for draughting out Delius's scores).

I watched that program on Norwegan television, and it must have been shortly after it was produced. That was my first introduction to Delius, and it made such an impression that I still remember quite a lot of it.

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I tried Puck. Not bad. The patterns are very logically laid out. My fingering works. I won't start this until August. The Summer xxxx bag song (Summer's Eve) is beautiful, short and sweet. I just read through and put fingerings. I will wait to start this until one month before.

I wasn't around in the last week, so this is a little late, but I must say I laughed really hard when I read this wink

I also liked the discussion on the Hardanger fiddle, except for the fact that now I want one because they look really cool.

On ebay, someone calls them called "fancy violins."

Anyway, I need to stop fantasizing about fiddles and work on Arietta. Measures 12 and 22 keep throwing me off timing wise.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Please put me down for 43#2 as a second piece if its still open. I'm enjoying the Grieg and finding the lyric pieces more accessible than the waltz I've done before. Really looking forward to hearing all of you play.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
By George, I think I've got it. Yes, these pieces are quite accessible for the true amateurs among us!

The formulaic attributes of my piece (Halling from Op. 38) offer signposts for memorization. Two bars of this, then two bars of that. Then repeat, one octave below. Then a new four bar theme. Simple transition and then back to the original two bars of this and two bars of that. Slight variation on to the conclusion. Simple and elegant folk music.

Page 21 of 47 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission