2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Just curious!

Last edited by MaggieGirl; 06/28/13 05:37 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
As a student, I say, not with everything. But, there are some times it is almost manditory.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
What would be an example of a mandatory time to use one?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I tend to use one in the first or second lesson. I just get them to turn it on, off, and slide the wee thingy up and down, guessing whether it makes it faster and slower. I'll sometimes do clapping rhythms to the 'nome.

If is is used for real playing, it is mostly to slow things down, or to prove to the student they really can't do it at the fast speed they want to go at.

But I have mostly beginners and I think serious players tend to use it more, and more wisely.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
My daughter has only used one once when her brother insisted she use it (he had to play piano in school). Her teacher has never asked her to use one (which is fine by me), she is told to count when she plays.

J
J
Yes, to help correct uneven scales. And to help develop speed.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I use metronome on FIRST lesson. I asked new or transfer students to clap following the metronome, then I can tell if he can follow or not. For some people, internal rhythm is not something they born with, so, they need extra training.
Beginner books that I use has a CD that comes with it. It counted as "metronome" if student practice with it at home.
So to answer your question, yes, I use metronome from day 1 of piano lesson.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
from the very first lessons, since a strong sense of rhythm is crucial!

I have two free metronome apps on my phone, and one of them has a space where you yourself can tap and it will tell you your speed. I can keep it fairly steady, but it is harder than you think!

Learning as I teach.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm wondering if an addition to that question might be:
- How would you like your students to use the metronome, and when?
- How would you like them NOT to use the metronome?

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by keystring

My personal opinion, which likely few agree with: never use it for incremental speedup. Example, a piece needs to be at q = 120, I can play it at 90, so I set metronome at 60, play through, move up to 61, play through, etc. Horrible! But widely praised in some circles.

- How would you like your students to use the metronome, and when?

At all other times! Hee, hee. But especially as a check for continuity between sections, and loss of the strong beat during syncopation. Or at any time rushing or dragging is not detected.

I use one fairly frequently, enough to calibrate my internal pulse.

I doubt any of my handbell ringers owns one. But I make them follow me, which hopefully has some of the same benefits.

gotta go practice
B
B
Originally Posted by TimR

My personal opinion, which likely few agree with: never use it for incremental speedup. Example, a piece needs to be at q = 120, I can play it at 90, so I set metronome at 60, play through, move up to 61, play through, etc. Horrible! But widely praised in some circles.

Can you expound on this? My teacher did this in high school with me, and it seemed to work great. I've used it once or twice with a student as well, and they seem to love the challenge and the discovery that, with practice, they can move the ticker up a few bpm.

To answer the original post, I use metronomes all the time. Rhythm is the #1 thing beginning students struggle with, in my experience. Metronomes don't work if you can't stay with them, so I've had to be wise about my use of them and not prescribe them without any guidance or explanation. Still, when used prudently, I find they're a great teaching tool.

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Brinestone
I'm wondering if an addition to that question might be:- How would you like them NOT to use the metronome?

Can you expound on this? My teacher did this in high school with me, and it seemed to work great. I've used it once or twice with a student as well, and they seem to love the challenge and the discovery that, with practice, they can move the ticker up a few bpm.

I have same question mark as you Brinestone!! I do not understand why would be it be horrible, maybe Tim can enlighten us.

smile

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have a drum machine, metronomes - but when I began learning the piano - I have never used a metronome because when I had a sax teacher, he taught me to count through the measures.

Now I can't afford a teacher, but when I began piano I was very careful of about knowing the note values and counting the note values through the measures.

So two things occurred. I learned how to read and play the music accurately so I didn't need a recording to listen to how it was supposed to sound.

And I didn't need a metronome because I soon could feel the note values within my body.

Increasing ones ability to play faster is done very slowly over a long period of time/practice, so it isn't the metronome that is of any help in the speed building.

But people who haven't learned note values and knowing how to count and play through the measures accurately are in lots of trouble until they have learned that knowledge.

But when one gets to very complicated music at Presto/200, it may be that a metronome could be used for checking accuracy, but if you play a piece slowly and accurately, you should still be okay as you are speed building if you play in the same fashion - except that as humans we can go slower and faster related to performance, fear, etc. - another issue.

I know when I play I can immediately hear the slightist error of timing.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Gee, incremental speed up is one of the situations I feel a metronome is manditory. I know it has helped me with Bach and Mozart especially. I also feel that if a metronome is not used during the learning of a piece, it can be very revealing to use it to reveal rushed measures in a nearly finished piece.

Believe it or not, I used to have a riding instructor who had people keep set of keys in there pocket during trotting to help maintain a steady rhythm. Even when heeling a dog for competition it can be helpful to establish and then maintain a steady pace.

Some students have an internal metronome and can keep a beat. Others have to acquire that skill through the use of counting and a metronome. Also, if used early, students get over the fear of using one. It can be a very valuable tool in a student's learning. They should get comfortable using one. Because, it's just a aid and not a big deal to use one.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
M
I am not a piano teacher, but I use it to slow down my daughter's playing.

Sometimes she works on a short section (say 2-4 measures) and keeps tripping over that section. She tends to keep playing that section again in high speed incorrectly, even when I ask her to slow it down.

But if I set the metronome on a slow speed, and ask her to play that short section following the metronome, she will play that section correctly.

Mom of Two Girls Who Used to Be Beginners
T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Not a teacher, either, but as one who uses a metronome in regular practice, I think that speed should only be increased as one gets sufficient command of a piece that the current tempo becomes maddeningly slow. I think it would be a mistake to increase the tempo in an effort to "push" yourself to be able to play it faster. That would seem to go against all we've ever been told about the value of slow practice. Really, once you've achieved thorough command of a piece, playing it faster is pretty easy.

From the introduction to the MacFarren Scale and Arpeggio Manual (1915):
"Slow practice is GOLDEN; quick practice is LEADEN".

B
B
Tend to rush, I love the way you worded this. I am trying to tell my students that all the time, but they don't believe me and "tend to rush." I am tempted to print it up in a pretty font and frame it by my piano. (Okay, maybe not really.)

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Brinestone

Can you expound on this? My teacher did this in high school with me, and it seemed to work great.

It can work, and it can be counterproductive. I'm short of time, but I'll try to explain a couple of my ideas briefly.

It can work when the main impediment to fast play is unfamiliarity with the piece, rather than lack of technique or incorrect technique. Rostropovich was said to have started learning pieces very slowly, yet clearly he had all the necessary technique to play at tempo.

Caveat: I think like a brass player, not a pianist.

Back to my example: my requirement is 120, my top speed is 90, so I'm going to drop down to 60 and speed up one beat at a time. I'll move right past 90 so slowly I don't even notice.

Q: Why is my current top speed 90? A: Because I'm doing something wrong.

So what happens on the 30 repetitions between 60 and 90 as I speed up incrementally? Practice makes permanent, and I'm practicing the techniques that I've already proven don't work at speed until they are perfect.

I'll usually get past 90, maybe to 95, or even 100. Wrong technique thoroughly practiced can be pushed a little faster. But then you hit a plateau. In the brass world, sometimes for years. Once you've learned something very very well you sometimes build in a speed wall that's hard to get past, sometimes impossible.

Now, another thing happened on those 30 repetitions. You become fatigued, mentally and physically. Fatigue can create error, and error can deviate from wrong technique into right technique. So this approach can sometimes work, for an unusual reason. But there are far more efficient ways.

gotta go practice
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
a rephrasing of Tim's answer and a discussion on speed walls and a tunnel-vision reliance on metronomic incremental speed-ups: http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=4282.msg39817#msg39817 (i.e. it's in the motions; don't practice slow - practice in slow motion)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission