2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Some examples of why I think he is:

I Loves You Porgy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwParjhWa00

Be My Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iENQgr0l2Qw

Old Man River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUIuCrPGVg

My Wild Irish Rose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxCea54SGZY&feature=related

Shenandoah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2quk1g8p8

Somewhere Over The Rainbow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VultD5pIbd8

Any other pianists you prefer for ballads? All the scores except the second available for free online.

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
I think he's the greatest pianist in every genre, ever. The greatest pianist who EVER lived.

Dave Frank

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dfrank
I think he's the greatest pianist in every genre, ever. The greatest pianist who EVER lived.

Dave Frank
Everyone entitled to their opinion, even great players like yourself.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
A lot of (digital)ink is spilled on Jarrett's fully improvised solo concerts, likely because they are so unique. While those performances are wonderful, I think his renditions of these standards are equally extraordinary. They are particularly notable as an example of the perfection of "touch," something that classical pianists work night and day on but is not emphasized as much in jazz.

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Pretty much whatever Keith Jarrett touches turns to gold. I count him as my #1 inspiration in various ways, musically (outside of my mom who introduced me to music and piano in the first place!). Thanks for posting these clips that I was not aware of.

Best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Again, I agree: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For me, the greatest Jazz Pianist/Composer who EVER lived was Bill Evans. He is my inspiration.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
S
S
Thank you for posting those beautiful examples of Keith's work.

I heard Bill Evans before I heard Keith, so I am kinda imprinted on Bill, much in the same way that a newly-hatched goose will follow the first thing it sees!

They are different and depending on my mood I wll listen to one in preference to the other. IMO Bill is cooler and purer, Keith is warmer and more emotional. I can't choose!

Vive la difference!

You can teach an old dog new tricks!
Yamaha PSR-S650 as midi controller
Roland FP 80
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
That Old Man River video is a favorite of mine. Love the brief fugue-ish part.

Certainly one of the greatest, and my favorite pianist. But of course there will never be a definitive ranking system.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Bill or Keith, impossible to say who is better but I doubt there would be many arguments about them being two of the greatest. At the end of the day its all down to personal preference, I prefer X so he is the greatest. I suspect some Oscar Peterson fans might think he is the best.

Jazztpt

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jazztpt
I suspect some Oscar Peterson fans might think he is the best.

Though I don't think he's identified with ballads as closely as Bill or Keith.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Dave Frank

I guess you never heard any recordings of Joseph Hoffmann! Or Jo Lehvinne (or his wife)? Or Arthur Rubinstein!?!?!

And don't tell me I can't post that classical junk here! This thread has already been posted in the "classical" forum (to very poor effect), whatever that is!!!

If you're going to bring it up, you deserve the comparison...

Last edited by laguna_greg; 06/29/13 01:34 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
It's because what Keith is doing when he plays that it is my opinion that he's the greatest pianist ever. The great classical pianists (Richter is my fav) like the ones you mentioned are unbelievable in their keyboard mastery, expression, technique, nuance and emotive power. These geniuses are superhuman lights to the world absolutely.

It just so happens that Keith IS IMPROVISING THE MUSIC from 0 when he plays. What is is doing is inconceivable from a human point of view -he is able to hear and transmit multi-dimensional perfectly controlled and nuanced superhuman music, and when he sits down to play he has no idea what is coming next.

Can you believe that? I cannot. I've spent my whole life in music, as I'm sure most of us have, and there is NOBODY, ever, that is even in the same universe as him.

S
S
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

Dave Frank

I guess you never heard any recordings of Joseph Hoffmann! Or Jo Lehvinne (or his wife)? Or Arthur Rubinstein!?!?!

And don't tell me I can't post that classical junk here! This thread has already been posted in the "classical" forum (to very poor effect), whatever that is!!!

If you're going to bring it up, you deserve the comparison...

The OP was talking about Ballads, and he gave several links to show the type of music he meant.

Did Rubenstein and Hoffman play Ballads of this type? If so, I would like to hear them.

You can teach an old dog new tricks!
Yamaha PSR-S650 as midi controller
Roland FP 80
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dave,
Did you ever have a job that didn't involve piano?

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
For 9 months I sold stereos out of the back of my van when I was 25.

DF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

It just so happens that Keith IS IMPROVISING THE MUSIC from 0 when he plays. What is is doing is inconceivable from a human point of view -he is able to hear and transmit multi-dimensional perfectly controlled and nuanced superhuman music, and when he sits down to play he has no idea what is coming next.

Very well put. The elegant music he creates is wonderful

Last edited by daviel; 06/29/13 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It's because what Keith is doing when he plays that it is my opinion that he's the greatest pianist ever. The great classical pianists (Richter is my fav) like the ones you mentioned are unbelievable in their keyboard mastery, expression, technique, nuance and emotive power. These geniuses are superhuman lights to the world absolutely.

Can you believe that? I cannot. I've spent my whole life in music, as I'm sure most of us have, and there is NOBODY, ever, that is even in the same universe as him.

What Keith does was considered an ordinary, not extraordinary requirement of classical musicians in times past.

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
who knows what they did? It died out, most likely because most improvisers weren't doing anything as good as they composers were composing..Of course I'd give anything to hear Bach and Lizst turn it loose!

DF

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
who knows what they did? It died out, most likely because most improvisers weren't doing anything as good as they composers were composing..Of course I'd give anything to hear Bach and Lizst turn it loose!

DF

Improvisation as an art in classical music still exists. Period keyboardists read from figured bass and fill in the harmonies and lines as they see fit. Organists still compete in improvisation. While dying, it is not a dead art eft to jazz musicians.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
For me discussions like this is just pointless. I can't think of a single pianist who are regarded as a "master" on both genres. There have been classical musicians who have been competent, and even good, but none of them really are regarded in the same ranks as the likes of Keith Jarret, Oscar Peterson... etc., and vice versa.

I can pick any other musical subgenre. Comparing Chucho Valdes to Keith Jarret is just as pointless. They are require different skills set and attention to different aspects of music, and if you judge every music by one rigid criteria, you are going to miss out on wide range of experiences that music can really offer. In other words, I use different ears when I listen to Rubenstein, Keith Jarret, Chucho Valdes, Cecil Taylor, Ethan Iverson or Stevie Wonder. Not being a snob about one type of music really opened my ears to new things, including hip hop(believe it or not, it takes a real talent and craftsmanship to do whats someone like J Dilla does on his records).

Keith Jarret is one of my favorite pianists, but then again I love listening to so many different pianists, and they all have different things to offer. I'd rather not think of music as a contest in general.

Last edited by etcetra; 06/30/13 12:46 AM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission