2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 47 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 46 47
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IreneAdler
Well, my teacher wants to pick a different piece for me to work on, c'est la vie!

You can't work on something for fun besides the "assignment" pieces?

Yes, it would be a shame if Irene missed out on taking part. Everyone enjoyed the Mendelssohn so much... so would you like to do another piece instead?

On the other hand, I'm quite chuffed that if a piece is to be dropped, that its this one. It was my second choice, so I'm claiming it back again!!!

Folks, I think its time that we see if we can get the other pieces taken. If you have opted for a second choice, please confirm that you're still happy to do it. And, if you fancy any of the remaining pieces - jump on in!

I'll be putting up a revised list showing 'taken' and 'not taken' in the next day or two. And I'll correct peoples' names at the same time!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- ok, so I'll go for broke and try for a third piece - 57/5 'She Dances'

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I confirm Berceuse, Op. 38/1, as my second piece.

Richard
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Well, my teacher wants to pick a different piece for me to work on, c'est la vie!

I picked an easier Grieg piece just for that reason. Turns out my teacher likes it and keeps wanting me to "bring it" for a lesson. We need to keep these wily teachers in check wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
I'm sad that I wasn't around earlier to take part in this, but I can't wait to hear everyone else's renditions. I'm feeling inspired to put some of the Lyric pieces on my study list now thank to all of you.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Anne H, you can still take part! Look through the list of pieces and choose one (or more) that isn't yet claimed by someone. You can also claim pieces that are listed at the bottom as someone's "second choice". We'd love to have you!

You have until September to learn the piece. When you've learned it, record it and post it to YouTube. Then send rostosky a link to the video. He will post the links all together in opus order in September when the recital opens.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
A
A
Hmm...perhaps this is what I need to figure out how to record competently on my new upright? I'd love to take a stab at Opus 71. "Once Upon A Time". I've always loved listening to it and the fast middle section doesn't look quite as intimidating as I thought at first glance.

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm so glad to have found this place.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Oooh, that piece 71.1 looks very interesting! I'll look forward to hearing it.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Ohh it is not that I do have many other pieces that I am working on for fun, besides my lesson pieces, but when I showed the piece to my teacher he was not keen on it as I had hoped; and I do not believe I am quite to the level where I could learn this piece by myself, so I thought it best to remove my name from the list.

Welcome Anne! and thanks for confirming your second choices ZRTF90 and dire tonic. Please can the rest of you do the same. Later today, I'll put up a list of 'taken' pieces based on the assumption that everyone still wants to do their second choice (where applicable). And do another list of the pieces which no one has chosen as first or second choice.

So to any of you out there who are thinking of dipping your toes in the water - we'd love you to join us! And of course any of you already signed up can think about if you want to take on a third piece ...

Hope with is ok with you all

Last edited by Dipsy; 06/30/13 07:01 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Confirming my second choice 65.3.

Trying out pieces to come up with a third or even fourth choice.

M
M
My second choice is Halling, 71/5 smile

Found out I had to rework this one as well in one section because the big chords were killing me up to tempo. I don't think you can even tell the extra note is missing though, but that will delay things a bit. On the bright side, it's memorized!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
I ran through my piece very slowly today and liked it even more upon actually playing it! The only thing I know I'll have issues with is getting the middle section up to tempo (my finger strength/dexterity is still pretty low as I've only been back at this for six months seriously). Anyone have any recommendations for exercises that help with this? Hanon or Czerny? Is there anything less painful/more interesting than those that has come out or are those still the classics to go to?

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

M
M
Originally Posted by Anne H
I ran through my piece very slowly today and liked it even more upon actually playing it! The only thing I know I'll have issues with is getting the middle section up to tempo (my finger strength/dexterity is still pretty low as I've only been back at this for six months seriously). Anyone have any recommendations for exercises that help with this? Hanon or Czerny? Is there anything less painful/more interesting than those that has come out or are those still the classics to go to?
Why not make exercises of what you are playing in the piece? I find those to be the best and most effective. Once in a while you need work on trills or something and Hanon is good for that. Until you're ready to try increasing the tempo though, plenty of slow practice now will be very helpful to prepare you.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
Thank you Morodiene! That's my usual method, so it's nice to hear that it's actually a method and not just me. I'm learning the Ravel Pavane in a similar way, although it's been very slow going so far.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

M
M
Originally Posted by Anne H
Thank you Morodiene! That's my usual method, so it's nice to hear that it's actually a method and not just me. I'm learning the Ravel Pavane in a similar way, although it's been very slow going so far.
I love that piece, someday I will learn it. I've read through it a few times but I haven't put in the time it needs. Slow is OK smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
As promised, here is the list of untaken pieces. (I have assumed that people are still doing their second choice pieces, unless they tell me to the contrary)

So lets get them all taken, cos it would be great to be able to do the full set, involving as many people as possible. If you're willing to give it a go, even if you don't think you could do a perfect performance, please consider it. This series of recitals is as much about personal growth and pushing against your 'boundaries' as producing a technically perfect performance (especially for me!). And doing the best you can is another kind of perfection, because no one could be expected to give more than that.

We're a mixed, friendly bunch and very supportive - helping each other out, and sharing each others' difficulties - its all part of the fun! We are from many different countries, different ages, and range from people who work in music for a living to 'dabblers' who just have fun, and want to push themselves a bit, in the company of fellow travellers. Many like to prepare their contribution privately and that's obviously great too.

If you've already chosen one or more pieces, for the time being, I think it only fair that if you reserve one of these 'leftovers', you can only do so provisionally, to give as many people as possible the chance to take part. But anything not taken by the beginning of August will be yours for sure, and anything still left will be up for grabs, first come, first served.

so here we go...

OPUS 12
No 8 : National Song

OPUS 38
No 5 : Spring Dance
No 8 : Canon

OPUS 43
No 6 : To the spring

OPUS 47
No 7 : Elegy

OPUS 54
No 5 : Scherzo

OPUS 62
No 2 : Gratitude
No 3 : French Serenade
No 6 : Homeward

OPUS 65
No 4 : Salon

OPUS 68
No 2 :Grandmother's minuet
No 6 : Melancholy Waltz

OPUS 71
No 2 : Summer Evening
No 6 : Gone

Later, I'll do the list of pieces already assigned - but for now its time to walk the dog and start the day!

Last edited by Dipsy; 07/01/13 05:21 AM.
On reading my last post - the bit about it not being vital to have technical perfection...
Beric gave a snort, then said.

' I would like to think that our pieces were worth listening to'

Of course. That too.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Probably the easiest of the remaining pieces is 12/8, the National Song. A slower tempo would work with this, and it's basically some nice chords with a bunch of repetition. So if you are on the fence about taking on one of these, that would be a good choice.

As a second choice, I would like 71/6 - "Gone". It's got some odd chromatic harmonies...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 25 of 47 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission