Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2113590 - 07/06/13 06:41 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Sam - thanks for the report - highly literate & informative - glad you had an even more enjoyable experience this year...

As one who has vacationed in Maine on several occasions I can appreciate the rugged beauty of the landscape there - did you hike to "trail's (north) end" at Mt. Katadin?

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2113647 - 07/06/13 09:05 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: WiseBuff]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Thanks for your informative and descriptive reports WiseBuff. This is the first thread I read each day and it never disappoints. Thanks for your report too Judy. The narratives are not as good as being there but they do give a good feeling of what it's like. Can't wait to see pics. smile

WiseBuff I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Della. It's so hard to lose them, especially when we can't be there with them. My deepest sympathy.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2113659 - 07/06/13 09:29 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
It's been interesting and informative to read this thread.
I'm headed to Summerkeys for the first time this year, going for both weeks of the Jazz Piano Workshop (last two weeks in July). Very much looking forward to it.

EP

#2113719 - 07/06/13 12:12 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: WiseBuff]
zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks Wisebuff for your daily reports. It sounds like you had a wondefule week. I'm so sorry about your dog.
Judy

#2113752 - 07/06/13 01:20 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Wisebuff - I'm drinking in your descriptive passages about your time at SummerKeys - your writing is poetic! I feel that I'm there with you sharing the experience.

I'm very sorry about your loss - what a shock to lose your much-loved Della -- and even harder and more shocking when you are far away.

#2113784 - 07/06/13 02:28 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I'm sorry to hear about your loss of Della. Hard enough to begin with but all the more with the distance.

I love these reports. It's like reading a good book you just want to slip into and experience yourself. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2113785 - 07/06/13 02:29 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Enjoying these reports tremendously. Many thanks to the posters. Very sorry to hear of the death of your dog, Della Wisebuff. We have friends who also lost their Leonberger while they were away on vacation. Just tragic. We are away right now in Colorado with a house sitter taking care of our dog. I haven't worried about our house or how much the grass is growing. I worry about our dog. Anyway, so sorry for your loss.

#2113798 - 07/06/13 02:50 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
WiseBuff, so sorry to hear about your dog. I lost my favorite dog ever a bit over a year ago, and I still miss her like crazy. They become part of the family, don't they?

I'm looking for advice from you Summerkeys vets as I approach my first visit at the end of the month.

My teacher thinks I should focus a lot of my energy on the Friday night recital and spend a lot of time polishing and memorizing some pieces I already know pretty well. I like and respect her a lot, but my inclination is more to spend most of my time and effort on pieces I don't know that well (or at all), and use my 20 or so hours of practicing/lesson time doing something different from what I do in my "routine" approach to piano.

What do you think, and what did you do?

Is the Friday recital a big deal? How about the other occasions when you play for fellow "campers"?

I'd like to think of this more as learning than being on stage, though I suppose there's nothing wrong with a bit of both.

All responses welcome!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2113812 - 07/06/13 03:11 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: TrapperJohn]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Sam - thanks for the report - highly literate & informative - glad you had an even more enjoyable experience this year...

As one who has vacationed in Maine on several occasions I can appreciate the rugged beauty of the landscape there - did you hike to "trail's (north) end" at Mt. Katadin?

No, I didn't climb Katahdin. I'm saving that for when I do my thru-hike - Maine to Georgia. (I really sound confident, don't I?).

Sam

#2113819 - 07/06/13 03:27 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: ClsscLib]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

I'm looking for advice from you Summerkeys vets as I approach my first visit at the end of the month.

My teacher thinks I should focus a lot of my energy on the Friday night recital and spend a lot of time polishing and memorizing some pieces I already know pretty well. I like and respect her a lot, but my inclination is more to spend most of my time and effort on pieces I don't know that well (or at all), and use my 20 or so hours of practicing/lesson time doing something different from what I do in my "routine" approach to piano.

What do you think, and what did you do?

I always take a lot of music with me, intending to get a lot done, and I always end up polishing one or two things and never look at the big stack of music. Last year I had five pieces that I could play in the lesson and get feedback on, and that was too many. This year I only played 2 pieces (the Arabeske and a Chopin Nocturne) and that was about perfect.

It's amazing how quickly that 3 hours of daily practice time goes by.

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

Is the Friday recital a big deal? How about the other occasions when you play for fellow "campers"?

I'd like to think of this more as learning than being on stage, though I suppose there's nothing wrong with a bit of both.

All responses welcome!

The Friday "recital" is very informal. In fact, they avoid calling it a recital, instead it is a "Performance Class", to relieve some of the pressure associated with the name "recital".

There will be people of all skill levels at the recital, especially if there are other instruments there that week.

The student only (no faculty allowed) get togethers are called "performance practice", with the intent being that you play for each other without the pressure of a faculty person in attendance.

I really think it is a very good thing to play for the other students at every opportunity - it's one of the best things about the program - sharing your music with others.

Sam

#2113828 - 07/06/13 03:38 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
ClsscLib Offline

Thanks, Sam. Very helpful comments.

God knows I could use some experience playing piano for other people.

It's a weird thing. In my field, I don't have the slightest qualms about speaking in front of a group of 200 or more trained, credentialed professionals. In fact, I look forward to it.

But ask me to sit down at the piano and play for four other adult beginners, and my hands start to shake.

Context is everything, I suppose.

#2113864 - 07/06/13 05:32 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Thank you all for your kind words with our loss of Della...for sure a family member. Now I just want to get home to my family and other dogs but I'm stuck in the Bangor airport because our plane has difficulty...that means we won't make the Philly flight to Denver. We hope they don't cancel the flight.

I took about five pieces of music to work on and picked out a couple more in the SummerKeys library...could have enjoyed many more. My teacher and I worked on only two. We talked a lot during my lesson time about goals and technique. The intense time may be best to polish the pieces that are close to performance ready.

Edited by WiseBuff (07/06/13 05:33 PM)

Love to learn

#2120764 - 07/20/13 10:22 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
ClsscLib Offline

Driving instructions: Just head northeast until you run out of United States. Lubec, Maine is the northeasternmost spot in the country.

When I left my driveway yesterday morning, the temp was already 96 degrees Fahrenheit with humidity to match. Upon arrival at Lubec tonight, the temp was 72.

I can work with this...

#2121061 - 07/21/13 02:57 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
You all make this sound like so much fun! I would like to try to go in a year or two. It would be nice to get out of the New Orleans heat.

I saw that they also have a photography course.. something for the BillyO to do!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, ClsscLib!

#2121071 - 07/21/13 03:07 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: AimeeO]
ClsscLib Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
You all make this sound like so much fun! I would like to try to go in a year or two. It would be nice to get out of the New Orleans heat.

I saw that they also have a photography course.. something for the BillyO to do!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, ClsscLib!

Thanks, AimeeO. Actually, my better half will be taking the photo class this week while I'm taking piano. We went into a Lubec gallery today that was showing photos taken by Summerkeys photo students. It was great work!

#2121076 - 07/21/13 03:17 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: ClsscLib]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Looking forward to more reports!

I've seen the slide shows of the photo class at the end of the week and they take some amazing photos in and around Lubec.

Sam

#2121082 - 07/21/13 03:26 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
AimeeO Offline

Let me know how your better half likes the photo class! We are very curious.

#2122724 - 07/25/13 10:19 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Sam or anyone else, have you had your spouse join the photography class? I think it's best to keep my husband engaged in something. He says he will bike around but I think it will get old doing it alone. If you have an experience, can you give me some practical information, cost, schedule etc. the website does not give so much information except some photos.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2122731 - 07/25/13 10:29 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Sam or anyone else, have you had your spouse join the photography class? I think it's best to keep my husband engaged in something. He says he will bike around but I think it will get old doing it alone. If you have an experience, can you give me some practical information, cost, schedule etc. the website does not give so much information except some photos.

I've never taken it, just been to the end of the week photo show. I hear that it is very popular, so it may be too late to get in. I do have the email address of the photographer that teaches the workshop - I'll send it to you in a PM.

Sam

#2122746 - 07/25/13 10:58 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]

Sam thanks
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2123132 - 07/26/13 02:49 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
AimeeO Offline

Farmgirl:
On this page it lists the price of $595 for the week : http://summerkeys.com/lubec-photo-workshop-2/

And here's an article by the teacher talking about his 2011 classes:
http://talkingphotography.com/archive/2010/BasicsinParadise.htm

Can't wait to hear how ClsscLib's other half liked the photo course!

My other half is being devoured by the photography bug lately. That scenery could be really great excuse to get me up there smile

#2123142 - 07/26/13 03:29 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]

Unfortunately the class offering ends the week before my week. Well my husband really have to entertain himself. Poor planning on my part. Next year.

#2123168 - 07/26/13 06:53 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: AimeeO]
ClsscLib Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
Farmgirl:
On this page it lists the price of $595 for the week : http://summerkeys.com/lubec-photo-workshop-2/

And here's an article by the teacher talking about his 2011 classes:
http://talkingphotography.com/archive/2010/BasicsinParadise.htm

Can't wait to hear how ClsscLib's other half liked the photo course!

My other half is being devoured by the photography bug lately. That scenery could be really great excuse to get me up there smile

We're through 4 of our 5 days, and I think I can say the photography class has been a great success.

My wife has taken a lot of photos over the years, but strictly as an untrained amateur: She has a decent camera but has almost always used it in "auto" mode.

The teachers here (a wonderful husband/wife team) get everyone in the class (beginner to pro) thinking quickly and clearly about both the technical and artistic elements of photography. Each day they go on outings to various of the many great local spots to shoot photos, and they all get lots of guided, hands-on experience. (It's a very full and active week for the photo students!)

Last night the teachers hosted a casual dinner at their lake house where the best work of the eight students was shown on a screen. Great stuff! I should also note that the class has created a lot of camaraderie among the eight students and the teachers, who have fostered that result.

I'm no photographer, but my sense is that every one of the eight people in the class is delighted with it.

#2138998 - 08/25/13 10:38 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]

Hi I'm here now! I arrived here 9:30 pm. I cannot see anything yet but it looks like a great town. I seem to have a full schedule. I will try my best to keep up with the ABF tradition and report back to you as others did before me.

Sam, the cottage is wonderful. Thank you for your recommendation.

#2139080 - 08/26/13 06:05 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi I'm here now! I arrived here 9:30 pm. I cannot see anything yet but it looks like a great town. I seem to have a full schedule. I will try my best to keep up with the ABF tradition and report back to you as others did before me.

Sam, the cottage is wonderful. Thank you for your recommendation.

Hope you have a great time!

Sam

#2139098 - 08/26/13 07:50 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Have a great time Farmgirl. Hopefully Summerkeys can survive
Quote:
THE VIOLENT PAGE-TURNER
grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#2139339 - 08/26/13 06:04 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]

Day 1. My teacher is John Newell. I met with him in the congregation church. Interestingly piano was not facing toward the aiudience. I am not sure i like this. I would rather like to see the audience than my butt facing them. Oh well.

My teacher was supposedly be Bruce but changed to him at the last minute. I thought "good", maybe I don't need to press through with this. My Mozart piece is half cooked. He is a gentle mannered pianist. I liked him from the get go. However, gentleness did not mean pushover. I told him that I actually am a kind of beginner plus and don't really need to perform this on Friday. But he was determined. He did not take no for an answer. He said that i could do this, I was no beginner and we are going to perform this on Friday. I said "well i think i give myself a passing mark if i can play it through with you!". He said "No, no, no. You could do better than that!". Assigned me tons of things and left with a smile "I'm looking forward to hearing you how you worked on these points we worked on today". So..I practiced. I thought it was crazy to sit in front of the thing for 3 hours. But time passed really quickly. Wanted to practice othere pieces I brought with me but did not have time. Oh I was so extremely hungry. I will have to bring a sandwich tomorrow. I don't practice well on an empty stomach.

I did take a theory class from Bruice. I was told that we have a choice between performance and theory. I thought how much performance do I need. So stayed behind a guy who seems to be in his 60s. He did not know circle of 5th. So I was thinking oh crap, I should have gone with the performance crowd. But it was a good thing I did not. Bruice pulled out a score that I have never seen before. Composed by Diabelli. Just one pager. He asked us to identify the left hand chord and memorize it away from the piano. I quickly done that. And in the practice room I realized that I could play it well without practice. He is amazing. I never thought of doing that.

#2139346 - 08/26/13 06:09 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: JimF]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: JimF
Have a great time Farmgirl. Hopefully Summerkeys can survive
Quote:
THE VIOLENT PAGE-TURNER
grin

I heard a rumor they have a training class for Piano Bombers. smile

#2139404 - 08/26/13 08:58 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
ClsscLib Offline

Day 1. My teacher is John Newell. I met with him in the congregation church. Interestingly piano was not facing toward the aiudience. I am not sure i like this. I would rather like to see the audience than my butt facing them. Oh well.

My teacher was supposedly be Bruce but changed to him at the last minute. I thought "good", maybe I don't need to press through with this. My Mozart piece is half cooked. He is a gentle mannered pianist. I liked him from the get go. However, gentleness did not mean pushover. I told him that I actually am a kind of beginner plus and don't really need to perform this on Friday. But he was determined. He did not take no for an answer. He said that i could do this, I was no beginner and we are going to perform this on Friday. I said "well i think i give myself a passing mark if i can play it through with you!". He said "No, no, no. You could do better than that!". Assigned me tons of things and left with a smile "I'm looking forward to hearing you how you worked on these points we worked on today". So..I practiced. I thought it was crazy to sit in front of the thing for 3 hours. But time passed really quickly. Wanted to practice othere pieces I brought with me but did not have time. Oh I was so extremely hungry. I will have to bring a sandwich tomorrow. I don't practice well on an empty stomach.

I did take a theory class from Bruice. I was told that we have a choice between performance and theory. I thought how much performance do I need. So stayed behind a guy who seems to be in his 60s. He did not know circle of 5th. So I was thinking oh crap, I should have gone with the performance crowd. But it was a good thing I did not. Bruice pulled out a score that I have never seen before. Composed by Diabelli. Just one pager. He asked us to identify the left hand chord and memorize it away from the piano. I quickly done that. And in the practice room I realized that I could play it well without practice. He is amazing. I never thought of doing that.

If this is your first time at Summerkeys, do NOT be intimidated by the Friday night event. It's incredibly low key, and there will be many people there at levels below yours and who will be "challenged" by new pieces. Whatever you play and however you play, you will find the people in the room supportive and encouraging. I did not play when I was up there earlier this summer, and that was a mistake I regret and will not make again. (And no one has worse recital anxiety than me!)

I also had lessons with John and the theory classes with Bruce, and both were a delight.

Enjoy your week!

#2139463 - 08/27/13 12:27 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Farmgirl:

Thank you for your update and good luck with your piece! It's going to be a wonderful week for you.

I'm seriously thinking about attending next summer.

Jim

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, Austin D, 20 invisible), 1287 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75473 Members
42 Forums
156050 Topics
2291478 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
Fugue in b Minor
by Ritzycat
Yesterday at 05:34 PM
Missing Pedal rods for Bramburg (1890-ish?)
by Paul678
Yesterday at 04:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission