Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2139531 - 08/27/13 04:36 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Farmgirl, thanks for the update.
Have a nice week. Keep posting thumb

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2139562 - 08/27/13 07:18 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Farmgirl
I also had John and learned a lot. Could have spent a couple more weeks with him. He'll make you attend to every Mozart detail. At our Friday night event we had performers who were barefoot and some who had to start over...all got thunderous applause. Good idea to bring something to eat to practice. Where do you practice today?

Love to learn

#2139821 - 08/27/13 07:25 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Karen, I wish you were here. It would have been much more fun. I practiced on another grand piano in the downstairs of the Congregation church for my regular practice time. I also practiced additional hour for the chamber music. One violin and viola. So it is a trio. Cannot read the composers name. They were much better than me. I expected total amateur. Write more later
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2140395 - 08/28/13 06:52 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Already Day 3! (Edited it from 2 to 3, I'm losing count)
I felt a little better with my piano violin viola trio piece - first day (yesterday) was horrible). Lets say I played more notes and kept up with them. Not very well done but finally kept up with them. In this little movement by Loeillet, every one has solo part. At least I could join the team today and really enjoyed it. I will seek other instrumentalists to play with in Arizona. It's actually a lot of fun. SummerKey is great for getting this sort of first time experience. I performed in a little students get together. It was fun. My teacher John had been asking me to change lots of stuff for my piano duet. I'm not sure if I can incorporate everything in the short amount of time. I will try. I will be performing Mozart sonata on D maj for two pianos, Bach F minor prelude from Book III of WTC and the Lieillet G major trio sonata on Friday. I will see how it goes. I have been hungry here. So difficult to grab things to eat.

Edited by FarmGirl (08/29/13 06:41 AM)
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2140567 - 08/29/13 06:40 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amazing isn't it that even with 3 hours of practice today, you can only focus on small changes. The trio playing does seem fun and I just wish we were all there to hear you on Friday night. The group will cheer you. Did you have Wednesday evening concerts at the church? Don't forget the pictures. Have Don bring you food while you're practicing.

Love to learn

#2140568 - 08/29/13 06:59 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Karen, thanks. Don is going around all the places (including Canada) on his bike and I cannot expect him to come back for me. I think it was not idea to bring him with me. Perhaps I should coordinate with you next time if our schedule allows for it. We went to the faculty concert last night. As others mentioned I was amazed of the turn out - so many people showed up and filled up the little church. All the faculty was there too. It was a cello performance. Peter Lewy played cello and Richard McIntyre acompanied him with the piano. Our teacher John was a page turner since he performed last week. Karen, I will recommend taking an ensemble class (chamber music) next time you go. This is a very unique opportunity that Summer Key provids to us all beginners. It turned out there is a way to get a score beforehand by writing to string teachers! It turned out I'm the only one sight reading it. I think Sam went through the same thing I did. But others told me that they wrote to string teachers and got the score beforehand. Ok I will post pics tonight.

#2140578 - 08/29/13 07:57 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
FarmGirl, glad to hear you are surviving and having fun. The week does seem hectic when you are in the middle of it, especially if you are doing the chamber music portion. I did not know that you could get the music beforehand! I always thought they decided who would play what after your first lesson.

I heard John Newell in concert the week I was there. He played all American music - very impressive. The Wednesday evening concerts are always well attended - the locals from town come.

I always have high expectations of getting a lot done at Summerkeys with 3 hours of practice a day, but sadly, that doesn't happen for me. Maybe I'm just too old to make progress quickly!

Good luck on Friday!

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2140591 - 08/29/13 08:32 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Just a quick note - yeah I heard it from a person returned to SummerKey. She wrote to string teachers for the score. The other one suggested what she wanted to play and they both got what they wanted. It is a very slow week and this tactic may not work all the time but worth trying. Better than sightreading at your first chamber music session!

#2140633 - 08/29/13 10:25 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I love this whole thread. It's fascinating to read about all your experiences, and it's motivating, too. I just don't think I could do it laugh

FarmGirl - thanks so much for the updates. It takes guts to play in that trio, and you're the perfect person for it!

Cathy

#2140678 - 08/29/13 11:56 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
It's great to get an opportunity to play chamber music.

#2140946 - 08/29/13 08:20 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Here are some pics from Lubec

Me walking toward the school

The house we rented

Practice piano for the two piano piece

Inside the apartment

Before the faculty recital

Program

#2140993 - 08/29/13 10:04 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Wow, FarmGirl, great pictures! It's a lovely place. Enjoy!

Cathy

#2141022 - 08/29/13 11:20 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
AmateurBob Offline

Loc: Arizona
Interesting Steinway logo in the fourth picture. Any idea when that piano was made?

#2141188 - 08/30/13 05:12 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the pictures - it's like I'm still there! (I stayed in that rental house 2 years ago). Can't wait to go back...

FarmGirl, if you look in the backyard of that odd house next door - the one on the waterfront - there is a boat that has been converted to an apartment! You can see it from the bridge.

Sam
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2141223 - 08/30/13 07:49 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Weather looks nice (it was cold and foggy the whole time I was there). The pictures make me feel like I'm back there again. It is quite the experience and I think the detailed focus helps me still although I STILL can't play the Mozart just right. Seriously, we should all plan to go the same week sometime...that would be fun.

Love to learn

#2141497 - 08/30/13 06:25 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Farm Girl,
Great pictures. It does make me feel like I'm back there. My friend and I stayed in that same house in June of this year. We are hoping to go for both weeks in June next year. I could not wait to go back after the first year I went. This was my second year. This also seems to be my year to travel. I have been saving for a long time and we are going to Scotland and Paris in 3 weeks. I actually do have a piano in the apartment that we are renting for 3 nights in Edinburgh but no piano for the other 14 days.
It does sound like quite a few people from the forum went to Summerkeys this year.
Judy

#2141578 - 08/30/13 10:44 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Sam, Karen and Zillybug,
Thanks for your comments. This place has a way to grow into you. I am seriously thinking about coming back. I just finished our Friday performance. I played Mozart 2 piano piece with John. It went well. There was one spot I stammered but otherwise I call it a success. I was exhausted after played chamber music, my solo piece and Mozart. I felt physically ill. Have never been so exhausted in my life. People here are so gracious that many people came back to tell me that they loved the piece. Bruce said "good job, it sounded like a Mozart". John told me that's a compliment coming from him. I'm tired. So write more tomorrow.

#2141959 - 08/31/13 08:06 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Sam, i saw the boat house today on the way back from the campobello island. It's neat. We will fly back home to Phoenix tomorrow.

By the way, my husband and I went all over the area today. This is really first day of my trip I did anything like a tourist. I was so looking forward to it. We went Eastport, campobello island for a lobster restaurant and walk around Lubec again.

Ahhh it was so bitter sweet. When we were looking around stores for something to take home, I realized I was crying. It surprised me. I did not think SummerKeys affected me so much until the point. I was completely focused on performance during the week and did not know how happy I actually was. I was only thinking about my Mozart piece which I could not learn before SummerKey in spite of my intention to do so. I did not want perform but John was firm on us going in. He told me I could so I agreed to do it. I have never read music like this under pressure in front of people. I got a page turner but it was over 8 minutes of pure reading and playing at allegro. During rehearsal it was 10 min but it was 8 and half min (my husband measured it). So we must played faster, haha it's probably me. I was so exhausted that I felt like collapsing. Strenuous it was, but I was actually living my dream life. Now I know I would be back here.

#2141960 - 08/31/13 08:14 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Some more pics - not piano related. It's something one needs after a heavy performance in Maine:)

After the feast - I ate them all

#2141979 - 08/31/13 09:21 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for telling your story, FarmGirl.

#2142121 - 09/01/13 05:20 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Whizbang]
Sam S Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

FarmGirl, I'm so glad that you had a good experience. Beware, Summerkeys can become addictive! Now that you know what to expect, next time will be even better...

It was great to see so many people from pianoworld go this year.
Right now I am planning to go back next year, probably the third week of June (if they keep the same schedule next year, that will be the first week of Summerkeys). Of course, a lot could happen between now and then, but that's my plan.

Sam
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2142316 - 09/01/13 03:14 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Ok Sam I will keep that date in mind. I would like to coordinate with Karen too. One question. Was it crowded when you went there?

I'm sitting in Bangor airport after a few hours of fun at Bar Harbor Island, Maine. It looked like Southern California in a good way. I will plan to stay there a couple of days next time. B

#2142321 - 09/01/13 03:31 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Bar Harbor is interesting - it's pronounced "Bah Hahbuh" by the downeasters... Laurie and I spent a few days exploring around Acadia but we stayed in Ellsworth - much cheaper.

Summerkeys is not very crowded in June - the piano class was only 6 people this year when I went the third week in June.

Sam
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2142332 - 09/01/13 04:01 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Enjoying these reports very much. I'm still on the fence about ever attending. I have a great piano teacher. And she teaches during the summer. A different teacher perspective would be nice. But I also suffer from chronic fatigue and wonder about my abilty to maintain the schedule up there. I almost never practice more than 2 hours at home because I get so tired. And I sure don't do it day after day. So, the practice schedule up there overwhelms me.

Still,I enjoy hearing how all who have gone have enjoyed the experience. It really is a wonderful opportunity to combine a vacation with your love of the piano!!

#2142644 - 09/02/13 03:00 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Dynamobt - I think you can make your own schedule there. Not everyone performed there. I wanted concentrated experience and chance to work on Two piano piece using two pianos. My teacher did not mind it at all. In fact she prepared me for the experience. You will know when you are ready. It took me two years to get out there after I first read Sam's experience.

Sam - glad to hear it was not so crowded. I hope you, Karen, I and others can go together. I have to see violin workshop is available. My husband totally surprised me. He announced that he was going to start taking Viola lessons. He saw a few violinists and violists since I hung around with my chamber music people. He was very happy to see there were men (ex engineers) playing violins and violas. It made him strangely glad that they were not advanced. He told me "I figure I better do some instrument to keep the marriage". I call it Summerkeys miracle.

#2142677 - 09/02/13 06:30 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
FarmGirl, has your husband had any experience on violin or viola, or otherwise in music?

There's an interesting book by the eminent English Lit scholar Wayne C Booth in which he recounts his thought process for selecting his first-ever, late-in-life, musical instrument. He ended up picking the 'cello, for reasons that I find persuasive, but of course no instruments are bad:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Amateuring-It...s=Wayne+c+booth

I came to the piano for the first time at age 58 after playing double bass for decades. I find piano more immediately rewarding than any string instrument -- it's much more forgiving to someone who needs a lot of mercy.

Good luck in all things to both of you!

Edited by ClsscLib (09/02/13 06:41 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2142678 - 09/02/13 06:33 AM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

FarmGirl, yes they had strings in June this summer. There was one cello player that had been playing less than a year - he played at the recital with his wife on piano...

Sam
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2142801 - 09/02/13 01:01 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
AZ_Astro Online   content

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Farmgirl:

I enjoyed your postings and am delighted you had such a wonderful time at Summerkeys. It sounds like a great experience.

#2142817 - 09/02/13 01:39 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: ClsscLib]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
FarmGirl, has your husband had any experience on violin or viola, or otherwise in music?

There's an interesting book by the eminent English Lit scholar Wayne C Booth in which he recounts his thought process for selecting his first-ever, late-in-life, musical instrument. He ended up picking the 'cello, for reasons that I find persuasive, but of course no instruments are bad:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Amateuring-It...s=Wayne+c+booth

I came to the piano for the first time at age 58 after playing double bass for decades. I find piano more immediately rewarding than any string instrument -- it's much more forgiving to someone who needs a lot of mercy.

Good luck in all things to both of you!

He took up a clarinet in a band for a semester when he was in junior high. Did not learn to read music. So this is going to be his first attempt. He always liked strings. His mother played a little fiddle when she was young. But he did not grow up with my advantage. I was given piano, violin and painting lessons. Three people recommended him to take up cello but no. He has a bad knee and ankle from old football injuries. I will wind up carrying his instrument for him. I already carry heavy luggage for him. It has to be portable and something he likes.

I decided to do it with him so that he would continue. Maybe it is the Asian thing (tiger mom) but he seems to lack certain decouplins. Once it gets going, he will be fine but until then I think I have to spend some time with him on violin and viola.

#2142820 - 09/02/13 01:44 PM Re: My Summerkeys 2013 Report [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Sam - we had a first year violin student as well. It made it easier for him to approach violin / viola.

AZ Astro - thanks for reading and your kind comment.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
180 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, 54 invisible), 1743 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250430 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission