Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2110457 - 06/30/13 05:14 AM Who uses headphone socket to record from?
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
On my peeann-oh I have to do this, (no other output) and I like the results although a pure "digital piano" sound seems not to be on the cards; Pianoteq fills that gap quite nicely. I`d be interested in hearing others who do the same . . .and the results. Are you happy with them?

""

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2110469 - 06/30/13 06:07 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Don't you have a Yamaha DGX 630 with USB?

If so, that would connect you to a computer and Audacity for a simple and free recording solution.

Connecting the DGX 630 to a computer page 105 of manual.

#2110476 - 06/30/13 06:22 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: o0Ampy0o]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The USB is USB2 output which doesn`t include audio. So I can transmit MIDI data files but that`s all. All saved songs are the same; playback through the piano is ok - which means headphone socket. The new 650 model has audio outputs that mine doesn`t have (Gallic Shrug)

""

#2110480 - 06/30/13 06:27 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
o0Ampy0o Offline

OK I wasn't thinking about that when I suggested using Audacity. (You mentioned Pianoteq even so I really missed it linking to hook up directions). You can transmit MIDI to a DAW to record. It won't be the piano's internal sounds which is what you may be specifically wanting to do.

#2110660 - 06/30/13 03:04 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
I tried it as my DP doesn't have line-out (which should be more suitable for recording than headphone-out) and was not happy. I think I used Audacity and there was some noise in recording. But my headphones works fine with DP, so it was probably software problem. I am using DAW with vintage D for recording now and it works quite well. Big advantage is I can do some touch-up as it is midi recording :-)
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2110778 - 06/30/13 06:33 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: jarosujo]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"Big advantage is I can do some touch-up as it is midi recording :-)"

Some touch ups?? WHAAAAT?? (how d`ya do `em? cool)

""

#2110781 - 06/30/13 06:39 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Peter,

Sometimes I cannot tell whether you are joking or serious. If you want to know how to touch up a MIDI recording in a DAW, basically, it is like moving bar graphs and aligning them with a grid. You can also cut or copy and paste a note with a particular attack and replace or place it wherever you want it. You change the key by pasting it in a different position on the grid.

smile

#2110830 - 06/30/13 08:06 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
"touch ups?" confused

Forget playing, let's just hand draw the notes in a midi file and record with your favorite software piano. Oh heck, why did I buy a digital piano in the first place???

Yamaha P-155

#2110975 - 07/01/13 03:54 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: o0Ampy0o]
    peterws Offline
    3000 Post Club Member

Ampy, I was guessing as much. But I`m shocked! I really wonder if I might be tempted to do the same . . . . .No. I think I`d rather give up and do something else . .

""

#2111122 - 07/01/13 11:11 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
    pv88 Offline
    2000 Post Club Member

@peterws,

Here is an example of a recording I have done at the Kawai CA95 using only a single audio cable from the headphone jack to the computer in which I record directly into Audacity.

I also monitor the recording by listening to the playing through a pair of headphones from the 2nd headphone jack:

https://www.box.com/s/n5sejsycnhkhz2chl86h

#2111129 - 07/01/13 11:25 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
    scorpio Offline

I found that the recording process can vary greatly based on the volume settings, in both Audacity and the DP. I have yet to find the sweet spot for my setup.

Another issue I have come across is that I get much more "noise" when using Audacity vs. my DAW (Mixcraft), with same settings.

Edit: others have had similar issues with Audacity (from reviewing several piano forums).

Edited by scorpio (07/01/13 11:26 AM)

Yamaha P-155

#2112275 - 07/03/13 03:59 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: pv88]
      peterws Offline
      3000 Post Club Member

pv88
      Thanks for that. Great recording, nothing lacking there. The piano sparkles nicely. That`s set my mind at rest, anyway - I have a piano that is bloody unique! Like somebody`s thrown a tub o` treacle into the mix. ..

Edited by peterws (07/03/13 04:00 PM)

""

#2112280 - 07/03/13 04:04 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: scorpio]
      peterws Offline
      3000 Post Club Member

Scorpio, I wonder if the noise you encounter is due to an earth loop? My piano has no earth . . .I had this trouble when using an earthed external amplifier with an earthed laptop. I disconnected the laptop earth and all was well.

""

#2112300 - 07/03/13 04:28 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
      Recaredo Offline
      1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
      I make my recordings from the headphone socket to the audio input on the computer, but I am not very pleased with the results.

I wonder if this kind of devices could improve the sound quality

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_302_usb.htm

Edited by Recaredo (07/03/13 04:31 PM)
      Edit Reason: link in english

My website

#2112302 - 07/03/13 04:31 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
      scorpio Offline

peterws, At first I thought the earth loop was an issue, too. I made sure everything was grounded. But, I get no noise (same settings and setup) with Mixcraft. This has been discussed ad nauseum by the Kyle Landry followers. Then again, there are more that have no issues with Audacity.

Having said all that, most - if not all - of my recording issues is how I (beginner) play. I think I discovered I really don't hit the keys hard enough. As I mentioned somewhere else, getting a good clean recording has been my white whale. Although I decided I need to first learn how to play. HAHA!

Thanks for the idea and comment.

Yamaha P-155

#2112305 - 07/03/13 04:36 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: scorpio]
        peterws Offline
        3000 Post Club Member

" I made sure everything was grounded. "

The idea is that nothing is grounded! Just don`t go touching any metal bits . . .

""

#2112334 - 07/03/13 05:53 PM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
        Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
        It's possible that the resistance your computer, or whatever device, has on its input is causing the line noise if you do not hear it via headphones. Piano amps seem to be sensitive to this sort of thing. I assume if you are using the balanced line out from your piano, it may not have this problem.

#2113041 - 07/05/13 12:02 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
        p.elvis Offline

#2113080 - 07/05/13 03:43 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: peterws]
        de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
        Originally Posted By: peterws
        " I made sure everything was grounded. "

The idea is that nothing is grounded! Just don`t go touching any metal bits . . .

If nothing is grounded, don't touch a thing. And don't put your face anywhere near a microphone!

The idea is to have one item grounded and for everything else to take their ground from that. You want a ground chain but not a ground loop.

I suppose the higher voltage over here makes us more careful. I wouldn't want to go sucking on 230V from a microphone. [Edit] Hang on, you're in England! And still alive![/Edit]

Edited by jdeacon (07/05/13 03:45 AM)

#2113088 - 07/05/13 04:09 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: de cajon]
        peterws Offline
        3000 Post Club Member

Microphone shocks are common in our country; old wiring is usually to blame. Our singer got his when he touched his Gee-tar strings . . . I pulled out the plug for him!

""

#2113090 - 07/05/13 04:32 AM Re: Who uses headphone socket to record from? [Re: scorpio]
        UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
        Originally Posted By: scorpio
        peterws, At first I thought the earth loop was an issue, too. I made sure everything was grounded. But, I get no noise (same settings and setup) with Mixcraft. This has been discussed ad nauseum by the Kyle Landry followers. Then again, there are more that have no issues with Audacity.

Having said all that, most - if not all - of my recording issues is how I (beginner) play. I think I discovered I really don't hit the keys hard enough. As I mentioned somewhere else, getting a good clean recording has been my white whale. Although I decided I need to first learn how to play. HAHA!

Thanks for the idea and comment.

With regards to audacity producing noise in recordings I can vouch for that, I happen to be the same UKIkarus that administrates/moderates the KyleLandry website and have seen quite a few posts regarding such issues both on there and on other sites.

I have given it a shot myself over a USB audio/midi cable from my MOX88 which should have no noise at all being digital in nature and it does indeed add a small amount to the recordings, as such I have used Cubase since.

As for recording quality you will of course (as I'm sure you are aware) want to get the clearest and dare I say it (loudest without peaking/noise) sound you can get from the source straight into the software and if anything tweak the volume etc DOWN from there unless absolutely necessary, obviously less noise at the source results in less noise when processed smile

Originally Posted By: peterws
        Microphone shocks are common in our country; old wiring is usually to blame. Our singer got his when he touched his Gee-tar strings . . . I pulled out the plug for him!

Cannot say I have ever experienced a shock from one yet, let's hope it remains that way laugh

Edited by UKIkarus (07/05/13 04:53 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
        What's Hot!!
        Our latest Issue is available now...
        Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
        -------------------
        HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
        -------------------
        Sharing is Caring!
        About the Buttons
        -------------------
        Forums Rules & Help
        -------------------
        ADVERTISE
        on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
        (ad) HAILUN Pianos
        Hailun Pianos - Click for More
        Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
        Knabe Pianos
        Sheet Music
        (PW is an affiliate)
        Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
        (125ad) Dampp Chaser
        Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
        (ad) Lindeblad Piano
        Lindeblad Piano Restoration
        Who's Online
        138 registered (Alex1, accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, Alkanaut, 43 invisible), 1706 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
        Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
        Forum Stats
        75566 Members
        42 Forums
        156231 Topics
        2294518 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
        New Topics - Multiple Forums
        Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
        by Weiyan
        07/28/14 07:14 PM
        Practicing slow is only part of it
        by Sweet06
        07/28/14 06:50 PM
        Intro to Elton John's 'Nikita'
        by Visalia
        07/28/14 06:31 PM
        Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
        by Giancarlo Robles
        07/28/14 03:59 PM
        Need suggestions for Music Room
        by Gatsbee13
        07/28/14 03:39 PM
        (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
        | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
        | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
        | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
        No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission