Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (Anita Potter, ando, anamnesis, AndyJoe, 36251, 31 invisible), 1385 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2110945 - 07/01/13 01:29 AM Demo CS7 for $3900+tax?
Pierrerion Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
An update for my DP purchasing quest:

For my original post, go here http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2108829/Re:%20Should%20I%20buy%20a%20Kawai%20CA65%20.html

After my initial visit to a Kawai dealer in Montreal, CANADA, I made a second visit and met up with an different salesman to check out the CS7 they have on display. In person, the CS7 looks a lot better than CA65, albeit same key action and sound sampling. The CS7 solves my previous issue with the satin black finish of the CA65, which looks like cheap Ikea furniture. However, after rounds of negotiation, the best price I can get from that salesman, and this was after him grudgingly getting approval from his manager, is $3900+tax (local delivery included), for a demo that was about 2 weeks on floor. I had some hesitation with a floor demo but decided the saving I get from buying a demo rather than brand new is worthy. So I went again, as advised by some of you on this forum, to thoroughly test the sound distortion and all. To my surprise, it had some minor resonance issue with a few lower black keys. It was like a metallic hissing sound in the background that came from the left side of the DP. I asked the salesman about it and he suggested moving the piano a bit but that didn't fix it. He said if it's indeed a manufacturing fault (loose screws as he suggested) Kawai will fix it for me when I call warranty. But I didn't feel good about throwing 4.5K (with tax) on a piece of faulty electronic. So I said no. The salesman suggested maybe I should come back when they sell that unit and get a second one on the floor. But with a second one, I'm not sure if he will honour the $3900+tax price we negotiated for the floor model.

At $3900+tax, do you guys think I should make do with the hissing noise, which Kawai technician may or may not fix? It's nothing major, but I just can't make myself forget it's there. Please share your thoughts on this issue and let me know if you think that price is good for a 2 weeks old demo. Many thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2110970 - 07/01/13 03:28 AM Re: Demo CS7 for $3900+tax? [Re: Pierrerion]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
For myself I would not but anything at this price with a possible flaw/fault, even if it is likely to be fixed under warranty. It's not clear to me how much discount you are getting? It would have to be enough to overcome the hassle factor.

Any chance it is resonating with something near by, or perhaps has not been assembled with all screws tightened?

I think a 2 week demo model is OK otherwise, assuming no other apparent flaws.

#2110999 - 07/01/13 06:01 AM Re: Demo CS7 for $3900+tax? [Re: Pierrerion]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Is the CS7 a new model? It's not listed at pianobuyer.com

As for the CA65 ...

1. Do you believe it when a salesman tells you it's been on the floor for two weeks?

2. Pianobuyer.com gives it a list price (USD) of $3945 (add $150 for the more expensive finishes). So $3900 for a floor model seems odd. The guide gives the "estimated price" at around $3350. If I were trying to buy, I'd offer somewhat less than that.

I don't know what the deal is with prices in Canada. But that's a BIG difference, even accounting for the 5% hit because of the slightly weakened Canadian dollar. (That is ... add 5% to the USD figures above.)

#2111017 - 07/01/13 07:00 AM Re: Demo CS7 for $3900+tax? [Re: MacMacMac]
Pierrerion Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Is the CS7 a new model? It's not listed at pianobuyer.com

As for the CA65 ...

1. Do you believe it when a salesman tells you it's been on the floor for two weeks?

2. Pianobuyer.com gives it a list price (USD) of $3945 (add $150 for the more expensive finishes). So $3900 for a floor model seems odd. The guide gives the "estimated price" at around $3350. If I were trying to buy, I'd offer somewhat less than that.

I don't know what the deal is with prices in Canada. But that's a BIG difference, even accounting for the 5% hit because of the slightly weakened Canadian dollar. (That is ... add 5% to the USD figures above.)

@MacMacMac, yes cs7 is a new model in the cs line, an update of the cs6, with the same key action and sound with CA65 but ebony finish.

I haven't found any North American price for cs7 on this site yet. But it seemed price differential between CA63 and cs6 was 700-800dollars. So I'd guess in the States maybe 3800 is a reasonable price for the cs7? Given Canadian prices are higher, say 10%, than up here maybe $4300 counting that 5% currency conversion. And funny enough, that's the price the salesman wants to push it for after my first round of negotiation. It's according to this calculation I concluded a price of 3900+tax (15%) is a genuine discount.

I think the general lack of competition in the retail sector is the reason why Canadian prices are higher than those of the US.

#2111018 - 07/01/13 07:02 AM Re: Demo CS7 for $3900+tax? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Pierrerion Offline

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
For myself I would not but anything at this price with a possible flaw/fault, even if it is likely to be fixed under warranty. It's not clear to me how much discount you are getting? It would have to be enough to overcome the hassle factor.

Any chance it is resonating with something near by, or perhaps has not been assembled with all screws tightened?

I think a 2 week demo model is OK otherwise, assuming no other apparent flaws.

The hissing definitely comes from inside of the DP. But if its a screw it shouldn't be hard to fix, no?

#2111077 - 07/01/13 09:44 AM Re: Demo CS7 for $3900+tax? [Re: Pierrerion]
semo Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Did you tried it with a pair of headphones? Personally, I wouldn't buy something defective no matter the discount.

#2111082 - 07/01/13 09:57 AM Re: Demo CS7 for $3900+tax? [Re: Pierrerion]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Pierrerion
At $3900+tax, do you guys think I should make do with the hissing noise, which Kawai technician may or may not fix? It's nothing major, but I just can't make myself forget it's there.

No. Forget it.

Only do it if they add a stipulation in the contract that allows you to get ALL of your money back if you decide to return it within 90 days. That should give you enough time to see if it is going to be able to be fixed.

They won't do that, of course. So, forget it.

Don't buy a headache.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One man show!
by Nikolas
11/27/14 09:00 AM
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159391 Topics
2341410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission