Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (Anita Potter, Anne'sson, AndyP, anamnesis, angga888, accordeur, 27 invisible), 1479 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2110954 - 07/01/13 02:18 AM da capo al fine senza ripetizione - 1st or 2nd ending?
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Hello, my teacher is not available for a while, and I've got a question about a piece I'm working on: Schumann's Sicilienne.

The piece starts with 2 repeated sections, the second of which has 2 endings.

When I play d.c. al fine senza ripetizione, am I to play the second ending or the first? (it falls before the "fine", not at the "fine")

I've been trying to listen to performances on youtube but they are all different, and most disconcerting of all is the University of Iowa Piano Pedagogy Video Recording Project, where the performance doesn't even go to the "fine"!!!

I'm sure there is a general rule on this - but when I was working with my teacher I had just reached working out all the technical bits, and hadn't done the da capo when we finished lessons for the summer, and I hadn't realized I didn't understand this bit.

My gut feeling is that I should use the second ending - but gut feelings aren't always right!

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2110958 - 07/01/13 02:41 AM Re: da capo al fine senza ripetizione - 1st or 2nd ending? [Re: casinitaly]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
If you know that d.c. al fine senza ripetizione = go back to the beginning and start at "the top", then go to the end without repetitions, you already know everything that anyone else knows. So just use your own musical judgment, or go by what sounds best to you. If taking the first endings causes you to repeat material, go to the second endings. If the final second ending (wherever you see the word "fine") will take you to a spot or measure that sounds final, just do that.

Perhaps someone else knows the music you are talking about. Usually skipping repeats involves skipping 1st endings.

#2110961 - 07/01/13 02:57 AM Re: da capo al fine senza ripetizione - 1st or 2nd ending? [Re: Gary D.]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
If you know that d.c. al fine senza ripetizione = go back to the beginning and start at "the top", then go to the end without repetitions, you already know everything that anyone else knows. So just use your own musical judgment, or go by what sounds best to you. If taking the first endings causes you to repeat material, go to the second endings. If the final second ending (wherever you see the word "fine") will take you to a spot or measure that sounds final, just do that.

Perhaps someone else knows the music you are talking about. Usually skipping repeats involves skipping 1st endings.

Note: Bold face and underlining are my additions.

Thank you Gary.
Both the first and the second first ending both sound ok. I was looking for an online copy of the sheet music to link to but can't find one. I just wanted to make clear that the 2nd ending isn't at the "fine" point.

However, your comment "usually skipping repeats involves skipping first endings" is exactly the guideline I was looking for. I figured there had to be a general rule, I just couldn't remember ever having this situation before.

#2110976 - 07/01/13 03:56 AM Re: da capo al fine senza ripetizione - 1st or 2nd ending? [Re: casinitaly]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Theoretically "fine" should mark the end, so wherever that is, and it should be notated exactly, should tell you the ending point.

I believe I would know exactly what you need to do if I saw the music, and most likely there will be others here who will say the same thing. smile

#2110981 - 07/01/13 04:30 AM Re: da capo al fine senza ripetizione - 1st or 2nd ending? [Re: casinitaly]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
The piece can be found on page 9 of http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/0/0a/IMSLP51556-PMLP02707-RS67.pdf

with the mentioned University of Iowa Piano Pedagogy Video Recording Project here:

#2110996 - 07/01/13 05:55 AM Re: da capo al fine senza ripetizione - 1st or 2nd ending? [Re: casinitaly]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The directions:

Vom Anfang ohne Wiederholung bis zim Schluss

From the beginning without repeat till the "closing" (end).

Which is no help.

No one knows where to end it because it is in the key of A minor. At the point where it says "Schluss" it cadences to C major (implied), relative major. But you have to stop on the 2nd beat (counting in 6), because it moves to E, dominant, and you can't stop there.

A lot of people are going to say, "Screw it, I'm going to end at the end of the page, where there is a final A minor chord."

"Dog's breakfast", as my Ozie friends say!

#2111005 - 07/01/13 06:18 AM Re: da capo al fine senza ripetizione - 1st or 2nd ending? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks Bobpickle.

In my copy the "fine" is not where "schulss" shows in the link you provided - but the link you gave does explain why the Iowa U guy finished where he did..... In my copy the "fine" is just before the 32nd notes.

I think it sounds very very odd to end on the schulss as marked ---- because as Gary says,(far more articulately that I'm able to) the sound of the music implies that you are moving into something, not stopping.

So......as my Italian friends would say, with a shrugging of shoulders "boh!" . (A sound effect for "who knows".)

Thanks again!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just joined
by wise_manzard
11/27/14 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
11/27/14 09:27 PM
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:02 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159409 Topics
2341653 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission