Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2111075 - 07/01/13 09:42 AM Nocturne in G Major | Op. 3 No. 3 | Original Composition
mpmusic Offline

Loc: Portugal

Hello, here is my third nocturne!

Sorry for the mistakes, you know, I like to include challenging parts in my compositions and then I've troubles to record them properly.

Sheet music is available on my website.

Any comments/suggestions?

I had lot of troubles on this piece to write the sheet music and the result it was "a little" strange as you can see in the sheet (on my website). I've used time signatures like 19/8, 20/8, 11/4 and always changing! I guess that is very bad notation frown

Thanks,
Miguel

Edited by mpmusic (07/01/13 09:45 AM)

"Music is the key to understand the universe..."

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2111798 - 07/02/13 07:44 PM Re: Nocturne in G Major | Op. 3 No. 3 | Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
JordanCooney Offline

Hi,

That is quite a nice composition! In terms of notation - I would recommend you don't worry too much about it. The notation is a way of describing the music, not the other way around. If you get bogged down too much in making the notation look good, you may sacrifice the originality and imagination! To be honest, the changing time signatures shouldn't be a problem, you only have to look at Bartok's music to see that dynamic key signatures can create amazing pieces of music! Music is more than just melody/harmony, there's also rhythm to consider!

Not sure if I have any advice at the moment, I'm sort of new to composing!

/Jordan

#2112026 - 07/03/13 07:06 AM Re: Nocturne in G Major | Op. 3 No. 3 | Original Composition [Re: JordanCooney]
mpmusic Offline

Originally Posted By: JordanCooney
Hi,

That is quite a nice composition! In terms of notation - I would recommend you don't worry too much about it. The notation is a way of describing the music, not the other way around. If you get bogged down too much in making the notation look good, you may sacrifice the originality and imagination! To be honest, the changing time signatures shouldn't be a problem, you only have to look at Bartok's music to see that dynamic key signatures can create amazing pieces of music! Music is more than just melody/harmony, there's also rhythm to consider!

Not sure if I have any advice at the moment, I'm sort of new to composing!

/Jordan

Thanks for commenting smile I agree with what you said.
I write the sheet music after doing the composition so I don't sacrifice anything this way. My concern is that probably there is some way of doing the sheet music with a more usual notation. I will take a look on Bartok's music smile

#2112130 - 07/03/13 11:19 AM Re: Nocturne in G Major | Op. 3 No. 3 | Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: mpmusic

I write the sheet music after doing the composition so I don't sacrifice anything this way. My concern is that probably there is some way of doing the sheet music with a more usual notation. I will take a look on Bartok's music smile

Your piece is nice enough and it's certainly dramatic. You obviously have some facility with music and harmony, but I don't believe you've spent enough time on your themes to make them strongly memorable. You seem to like to establish a rhythm and shift between two chords and then modify the progression as a way of moving on. I suggest you try establishing a chord progression that is longer and then establish a melody that rides on top of that progression. You want to use the usual tools of melodic development to establish a strongly memorable melody.

This piece seems to be all about drama and building for dramatic effect yet it takes more than 5 minutes (and 3 sections) before I heard anything that sounded like a familiar theme coming back. That's far too long. This piece goes to too many places and doesn't develop any of its ideas since the reprise of the first section is exactly that a reprise, not development.

To wrap this up, you have skill at building drama and some ability for interesting harmonies in your transitions, but your melodies and the harmonies of each section would benefit from more thought and effort to make them more substantial.

When I mentioned the usual tools of melodic development I meant motivic imitation and/or sequence, then there's always the dotted rhythm, contrast, and the concept of the melodic arch. I'm sure there are others that I've overlooked. I'm not going to explain these because I don't know if you care.

This piece is an example of what happens when you base a piece on an improvisation. Most people don't have the improvisatory skills to develop a strong theme and usually go with what they can play, then to add difficulty will add decoration.

Edited by Steve Chandler (07/03/13 11:23 AM)
Edit Reason: improvisation comments

#2112234 - 07/03/13 02:29 PM Re: Nocturne in G Major | Op. 3 No. 3 | Original Composition [Re: Steve Chandler]
mpmusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler

Your piece is nice enough and it's certainly dramatic. You obviously have some facility with music and harmony, but I don't believe you've spent enough time on your themes to make them strongly memorable. You seem to like to establish a rhythm and shift between two chords and then modify the progression as a way of moving on. I suggest you try establishing a chord progression that is longer and then establish a melody that rides on top of that progression. You want to use the usual tools of melodic development to establish a strongly memorable melody.

This piece seems to be all about drama and building for dramatic effect yet it takes more than 5 minutes (and 3 sections) before I heard anything that sounded like a familiar theme coming back. That's far too long. This piece goes to too many places and doesn't develop any of its ideas since the reprise of the first section is exactly that a reprise, not development.

To wrap this up, you have skill at building drama and some ability for interesting harmonies in your transitions, but your melodies and the harmonies of each section would benefit from more thought and effort to make them more substantial.

When I mentioned the usual tools of melodic development I meant motivic imitation and/or sequence, then there's always the dotted rhythm, contrast, and the concept of the melodic arch. I'm sure there are others that I've overlooked. I'm not going to explain these because I don't know if you care.

This piece is an example of what happens when you base a piece on an improvisation. Most people don't have the improvisatory skills to develop a strong theme and usually go with what they can play, then to add difficulty will add decoration.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try to think more about developing the ideas.

I've already read a book about composition (the basics) an so I'm aware about most of the "usual tools of melodic development" but I trend to base the piece on improvisation as you said. So I have a limitation because my playing skills are not very good since I'm still a beginner on playing the piano. I could try to compose without that improvisational base but I find it requires more motivation.

I hope that as I improve my playing skills I would improve my improvisation skills and consequently I would write more developed pieces. But I will continue to study theory as well. I'm planing to study counterpoint and orchestration. And of course I learn a lot while playing new pieces.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (Atrys, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, a-z0-9, 21 invisible), 1164 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission