Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#2113732 - 07/06/13 12:37 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Norbert]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:
management to get over their sentimentality,

From an American point of view, this perhaps makes sense.
There are exceptions but not many [left]

From a European view, this is [almost] unthinkable.

When talking to people like Ulrich Sauter, Udo Steingraeber, the Bluethners and even relative newcomers like Paolo Fazioli and Dr.Laul, the "sentimentality" of following their own genius or a long national tradition including that of their own forefathers' is a real one.

It is exactly what motivates them from day to day to do honor and live up to the task. It's something that goes without saying.

It gives their products a certain "authenticity" that is still being appreciated by many in today's market.

It's not just another "asset" that's up for sale - never will.

I'm not an economist but at least to me this makes for a promising, reliable and more "predictable" future overall.

Having grown up in post-war Germany whose economy was 90% shattered, I've seen it work with literally 10,000's of small family owned firms specializing in smaller production, high quality type products.

So, I may be somewhat prejudiced.

Let's see how this one will play out.

Norbert

Bravo !

No you are not prejudiced. All you say is very correct.

This is something today's modern New Yorkers will never appreciate. Money, money, money... That is what they worship.

Edited by Hakki (07/06/13 12:38 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2113736 - 07/06/13 12:49 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Norbert, how come you left the Burgetts off your list? Surely they rank up there with Dr. Laul.

I guess I do not need really to ask why you omitted them, having reviewed the list of brands you sell. . . . You probably have not had the chance to talk with them. They are incredible, and devoted to their brand and to the goal of keeping North American piano manufacturing alive.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with Steinway. But that was always true. Mason and Hamlin might end up the only North American-made piano. I would not like to see that happen, I have to say--Steinway could become great again. And our continent needs to keep up its glorious piano traditions. I do think the Burgetts are doing a great job, but it would be nice to keep Steinway here too.

Edited by Rank Piano Amateur (07/06/13 12:56 PM)

#2113741 - 07/06/13 01:00 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
What about Walter Pianos?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2113747 - 07/06/13 01:10 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Norbert]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:
management to get over their sentimentality,

From an American point of view, this perhaps makes sense.
There are exceptions but not many [left]

From a European view, this is [almost] unthinkable.

When talking to people like Ulrich Sauter, Udo Steingraeber, the Bluethners and even relative newcomers like Paolo Fazioli and Dr.Laul, the "sentimentality" of following their own genius or a long national tradition including that of their own forefathers' is a real one.

It is exactly what motivates them from day to day to do honor and live up to the task. It's something that goes without saying.

It gives their products a certain "authenticity" that is still being appreciated by many in today's market.

It's not just another "asset" that's up for sale - never will.

I'm not an economist but at least to me this makes for a promising, reliable and more "predictable" future overall.

Having grown up in post-war Germany whose economy was 90% shattered, I've seen it work with literally 10,000's of small family owned firms specializing in smaller production, high quality type products.

So, I may be somewhat prejudiced.

Let's see how this one will play out.

Norbert

I agree. The difference in point-of-view between the European piano industry owners and that of Steinway couldn't be more different.

Mason & Hamlin and Walters are philosophically closer to the Europeans that to Steinway.

[I am not a dealer for, nor a consultant to any of the companies mentioned in this thread.]

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2113804 - 07/06/13 02:54 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm going to do a "Karnack" the magnificent prediction. All pre buyout Steinway piano prices
will skyrocket(and used ones too!) ... smile

Edited by Bob Newbie (07/06/13 02:55 PM)

#2113852 - 07/06/13 04:46 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
SBP Offline

So, in the midst of all this doom and gloom speculation, are there any official statements on what's going to happen?

#2113884 - 07/06/13 06:16 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
mahermusic Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Rank Piano Amateur
Mason and Hamlin might end up the only North American-made piano.

...cough, cough... WALTER!!!!!... cough, cough.....
Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal

#2113929 - 07/06/13 08:00 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:

This is something today's modern New Yorkers will never appreciate. Money, money, money... That is what they worship.

Don't know about New Yorkers.

But those money worshipppers will have a harder time to do so when there's none left.

But then I can't really tell what people do in this economy..

Norbert frown

#2113940 - 07/06/13 08:31 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: mahermusic]
SBP Offline

Originally Posted By: mahermusic

cough*cough*Ravencroft*cough*cough

Somehow, with all this talk about money grubbing banksters, I feel the need to apologize for the fact that my dad works for a certain big financial company whistle

Edited by SBP (07/06/13 08:33 PM)

#2113965 - 07/06/13 09:29 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: SBP]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: SBP

Somehow, with all this talk about money grubbing banksters, I feel the need to apologize for the fact that my dad works for a certain big financial company whistle

So he's a criminal?

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2113977 - 07/06/13 09:52 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: SBP]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: SBP

True - but (per Larry Fine) "Currently, only four to six [Ravenscroft] pianos are produced yearly, with pricing beginning at $230,000 for a model 220, and up to $550,000 for a model 275 with "all the extras," including titanium string terminations, exotic veneers, intarsia, artwork, and inlays of precious stones." Probably wonderful instruments, but hardly an option for the vast majority of piano buyers......

and what about Astin-Weight?? *cough, cough* grin

#2113991 - 07/06/13 10:23 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry for my omissions. This thread is a terrific reminder that there are great American made pianos out there!

#2114004 - 07/06/13 10:57 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Sorry for my omissions. This thread is a terrific reminder that there are great American made pianos out there!

But just not enough of them !! smokin

#2114005 - 07/06/13 11:00 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
Radio.Octave Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
Originally Posted By: Radio.Octave
Unfortunately, there are only so many places (colleges, concert halls) that can afford Steinway's exorbitant prices. In today's economy, how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos? Steinways are great, but there are many other manufacturers that provide much more "bang for your buck." Those are the companies that will survive, instead of being sold off to the highest bidder. RIP, Steinway & Sons.

Steinway's sales in to institutions is strong, even in this challenging economy. Also, you base your conclusion on sales of Steinway & Sons pianos, leaving out Boston, Essex, and band instruments - all significant contributors to Steinway's income stream.

You ask "...how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos?" Steinway makes only about 4000 pianos per year. There is a huge pool of potential buyers.

I don't know much about the other brands, but Bostons are overpriced for what they are. IMO, so are Steinways (not everyone will agree). Many people/institutions buy Steinway based on the name alone. Now that Steinway "sold out" I'd be surprised if the quality stays the same. The Steinway name won't carry as much heft as it used to. In the age of digital pianos, the acoustic piano makers that survive will be the ones who can make a quality piano at an affordable price.

Edited by Radio.Octave (07/06/13 11:01 PM)

#2114114 - 07/07/13 09:24 AM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: carey]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: carey

There may be another one coming soon.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2114118 - 07/07/13 09:37 AM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
But just not enough of them !

Steve - That's just too much of a teaser to not beg for some inside info! You gotta tell us more or face the throngs of crazed villagers rampaging with torches.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2114123 - 07/07/13 09:58 AM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Radio.Octave]

Unfortunately, there are only so many places (colleges, concert halls) that can afford Steinway's exorbitant prices. In today's economy, how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos? Steinways are great, but there are many other manufacturers that provide much more "bang for your buck." Those are the companies that will survive, instead of being sold off to the highest bidder. RIP, Steinway & Sons.

Steinway's sales in to institutions is strong, even in this challenging economy. Also, you base your conclusion on sales of Steinway & Sons pianos, leaving out Boston, Essex, and band instruments - all significant contributors to Steinway's income stream.

You ask "...how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos?" Steinway makes only about 4000 pianos per year. There is a huge pool of potential buyers.

I don't know much about the other brands, but Bostons are overpriced for what they are. IMO, so are Steinways (not everyone will agree). Many people/institutions buy Steinway based on the name alone. Now that Steinway "sold out" I'd be surprised if the quality stays the same. The Steinway name won't carry as much heft as it used to. In the age of digital pianos, the acoustic piano makers that survive will be the ones who can make a quality piano at an affordable price.

Steinway didn't just suddenly "sell out." It's been a public company for years, and when a company is public, it must respond to the wishes of its many shareholders.

As for the suggestion that the only makers to survive will be those that make "a quality piano at an affordable price," a couple of points:

If by "survive," you mean, "sell many thousands of pianos," we're already there. The largest volume auto sellers are going to be Toyota, Hyundai,and Tata Motors, and the largest volume piano sellers are going to be Yamaha, Kawai, and one or more of the Chinese makers. Corollas are great if you want a Corolla or if that's the most expensive car you can afford.

In the meantime, I hear that a number of the top tier makers are producing all the pianos they can comfortably produce. They're going to survive precisely because enough buyers to keep them productively busy know the difference between a Hyundai and a Ferrari and would prefer a Ferrari, thank you very much.

Whether Steinway continues to occupy the market niche it now occupies will be entirely up to Steinway's new owners. My own guess is that they're looking to burnish and monetize an already valuable prestige brand name, and you can't meet that goal if product performance slips.

No one will buy a Ferrari (at a customary Ferrari price) that performs like a Hyundai. But enough are willing to buy cars that perform at or above Ferrari's current performance standards.

#2114148 - 07/07/13 10:54 AM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: ClsscLib]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

No one will buy a Ferrari (at a customary Ferrari price) that performs like a Hyundai. But enough are willing to buy cars that perform at or above Ferrari's current performance standards.

Moving back to pianos - Steinway specifically, I agree, with one important qualifier - How many buyers can determine if the "Ferrari" they are looking to purchase performs like a "Hyundai?"

Jonathan

#2114157 - 07/07/13 11:17 AM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Jonathan Alford]

Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford

Moving back to pianos - Steinway specifically, I agree, with one important qualifier - How many buyers can determine if the "Ferrari" they are looking to purchase performs like a "Hyundai?"

Jonathan

Some, though surely not all. Same is true for car buyers.

#2114213 - 07/07/13 01:20 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: ClsscLib]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England

Whether Steinway continues to occupy the market niche it now occupies will be entirely up to Steinway's new owners. My own guess is that they're looking to burnish and monetize an already valuable prestige brand name, and you can't meet that goal if product performance slips.

+1

#2114279 - 07/07/13 03:55 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany

Maybe with Steve/Stephen also in his name? Family name starting with a "p"...?... wink

Building straight strung concert grands, the first after Erard, Pleyel and 1900? Actually residing in the nice Loire valley in France, God's Own Garden On Earth...?...

D 1877 satin black plain

#2114282 - 07/07/13 04:08 PM OT - car analogies... [Re: ClsscLib]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford

Jonathan

Some, though surely not all. Same is true for car buyers.

If a Daewoo (Korean) car shall perform and be regarded as a "Chevrolet"..?.. Lousy General Motors tricksters and mobsters. Lousy american business behaviour to fault, to trick and to cheat the customers.

..the name for these procedures? "Marketing". Ethics and Moral categories don't apply and matter any longer. The DEAL You ought to have to close. Nothing else matters. To increase the capital turnover profits. The trial is: to earn big money - by spending little money. The qualification is named "Master of Business Administration".

D 1877 satin black plain

#2114319 - 07/07/13 05:33 PM Re: OT - car analogies... [Re: Steve Cohen]

Someone is having a bad hair day.

#2114323 - 07/07/13 05:45 PM Re: OT - car analogies... [Re: Steve Cohen]
1000 Post Club Member

BerndAB: given that 40% of Steinway belongs to a non-American company, your criticism seems a bit unfounded at least in this case. As was pointed out earlier on this thread, the transaction must have been okayed by this entity.

#2114326 - 07/07/13 06:03 PM Re: OT - car analogies... [Re: Steve Cohen]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
BerndAD,
I share your frustration with the MBA class. MBA schools study business cases much like law students study law cases, this is where they learn to create many separate balance sheets for the same operation including putting some liabilities "off balance sheet". If I was audited by the IRS and I showed them several sets of books for my business transactions-they would prosecute me for tax fraud. But somehow this magically become OK when it is a corporate entity.

Some of these MBA schools are in state operated educational institutions. I wonder if we shouldn't be looking at this as a form of "State sponsored economic terrorism"!

To those posters who worry that Steinway is run by a bunch of noveau riche troglodytes who have no esthetic sensibilities and lack the ability to appreciate sharp chisels and well-seasoned wood-I have met several principals over the recent years and they all seem very skilled at running the company. Current management and ownership must have sought Kohlberg out-but this is speculation on my part.

Now is the opportunity for someone with a spare $500 million or so who wants to build Steinways to put in their bid. That leaves me out!

#2114340 - 07/07/13 07:21 PM Re: OT - car analogies... [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
Some of these MBA schools are in state operated educational institutions. I wonder if we shouldn't be looking at this as a form of "State sponsored economic terrorism"!

+1

I didn’t say one single word for or against any people involved in the Steinway management or momentary ownership like Mr Kim. I distrust the financial people from Wall Street, from Francfort et cetera. And I distrust the MBA education in Germany because of the lack of ethics, I’ve seen a lot of young ethos-free MBA people acting in big companies...

I am an engineer, specialist in machinery and gearbox fabrication, CNC and CAD technology. For me to earn money involves to produce goods and the knowledge to do so, to distribute them and to deliver them to customers, that’s real economy and honest work.

The other “economy" (try to generate financial profits from finances only..) is Voodoo economics for me.

Money itself doesn’t generate real value. It always needs men, human work and intelligence in handling real goods and information regarding goods and manufacturing processes.

If money alone "generates" money, then this profit money is the loss at other men.

D 1877 satin black plain

#2114369 - 07/07/13 09:27 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: ClsscLib]
Radio.Octave Offline

Steinway didn't just suddenly "sell out." It's been a public company for years, and when a company is public, it must respond to the wishes of its many shareholders.

As for the suggestion that the only makers to survive will be those that make "a quality piano at an affordable price," a couple of points:

If by "survive," you mean, "sell many thousands of pianos," we're already there. The largest volume auto sellers are going to be Toyota, Hyundai,and Tata Motors, and the largest volume piano sellers are going to be Yamaha, Kawai, and one or more of the Chinese makers. Corollas are great if you want a Corolla or if that's the most expensive car you can afford.

In the meantime, I hear that a number of the top tier makers are producing all the pianos they can comfortably produce. They're going to survive precisely because enough buyers to keep them productively busy know the difference between a Hyundai and a Ferrari and would prefer a Ferrari, thank you very much.

Steinways are hardly Ferraris. They are more like a Lexus, which is in essence, and overpriced Toyota. I know all the Steinway snobs will get their panties in a bunch over this, but oh well. Steinways are overrated.

#2114379 - 07/07/13 10:27 PM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Radio.Octave]

Steinways are hardly Ferraris. They are more like a Lexus, which is in essence, and overpriced Toyota. I know all the Steinway snobs will get their panties in a bunch over this, but oh well. Steinways are overrated.

I drive a Toyota and have done so for years. To me, a Lexus is a much finer car. More than I ask for in a car, so it's irrelevant to me, but the distinction is pretty clear.

#2114589 - 07/08/13 10:15 AM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
"Steinways are hardly Ferraris. They are more like a Lexus, which is in essence, and overpriced Toyota. I know all the Steinway snobs will get their panties in a bunch over this, but oh well. Steinways are overrated."

What is it with you. You insult anyone who owns a Steinway and their piano. I don't think you would say such things if you were meeting me and other Steinway owners in person. Your opinions about pianos, their owners and cars are worthless.

#2114599 - 07/08/13 10:43 AM Re: Steinway Bought Out and Going Private [Re: Steve Cohen]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
This thread has served its purpose and is no longer news worthy. I’d hate to see it morph further into unfriendly territory and exchanges of opinions that have nothing to do with Steinway being bought out…

If something new develops someone can start a new thread.

Rickster

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (Ben_NZ, Beemer, beeboss, angga888, Andrs Lieber, 18 invisible), 1124 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325580 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission