2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You know, it just occurred to me:

If the New Steinway brand, post-acquistion, continues to put out mediocre instruments or worse, all we're going to do in our comments here is kvetch and complain about how dismal the New Steinways are, sort of how we've been complaining, only more so, much much more.

Something for the "industry" to consider...

...do you think they actually read these posts...

...oh my...

...if that happens, are you going to sue Piano World like those other industry reprobates? Case law stands against the approach...

Last edited by laguna_greg; 07/03/13 10:21 PM. Reason: thought of something
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by GGO
My concern is that Steinway staff members would be worried / distracted and some re-structuring may be taking place...Is it a good or bad timing to get a factory order new NY Steinway?

Look, we don't even know if the sale will go though. There is a wait period during which other bids will be considered. Perhaps Samick will bid in? Let's all calm down a bit, and see what happens.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Bob,

Since the press release has already gone out on several media organs, it's a safe bet that the deal will go through. BTW, I don' think Samick can offer the same deal as Kohlberg. Since the S&S is publicly traded, the SEC will have a lot to say about how the deal is settled, which may preclude choosing one buyer over another based on industry standing or philosophical intent.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Steinway can accept other offers for 45 days, I think the time period was.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, of course they can, as they are publicly traded and therefore the sale is governed by the SEC. But that's just like the last time I submitted a government bid. Before I got to the first bid/procurement meeting, and even though my company was obviously the best service provider among those who were bidding, the department had already picked their preferred vendor, before RFQs were even issued. There was nothing I could say or do.

Kohlberg will certainly be the successful bidder.

Originally Posted by laguna_greg
However, since you are not willing to share your information freely, everything you say is suspect, every single thing. You could be:
(snip)

He also could be under a non-disclosure agreement if he's a paid consultant. His statements are suspect only to the extent to which you're suspicious of them. Just sayin'.

I'd rather be practicing wink
Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I was in the Steinway showroom on 57th Street last month with a student. We tried out every grand on the main floor, focusing primarily on the B and D models.

There was only one rebuilt instrument on the floor on that day - a Steinway C, I think around 1890 - that triumphed over every grand in the showroom, and triumphed by far. There was simply no comparison. I have encountered this repeatedly with excellent rebuilds of large Steinway grands of the pre-war era. That bronze tone is unique and magnificent, fully justifying the legend of Steinway.

I would be delighted if some billionaire bought up Steinway for the sole purpose of restoring Steinway to its former glory. But I have not gotten any indication that this is what is happening, although I would be happy to be proved wrong.

BTW, the uprights carry rather aristocratic price tags, and I would not put forth that kind of money when I know I could get better tone for less dollars elsewhere.
I don't like to criticize like that, but I have had to guide students to other makers because of this (and I do not take commissions on sales).

Last edited by Jonathan Baker; 07/03/13 11:07 PM.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
So we have, on the one hand, a consultant on repetitive stress injury; and on the other, a widely recognized authority on piano industry operations, practices, and strategic planning.

If I have a question about repetitive stress, I know exactly who I'll be calling.

In the meantime, as someone who has practiced a lot before the SEC, let me tell you that the SEC could care less about merits of an acquisition bid or the strategic visions of competing bidders. That's not what the SEC does.

Rather, their interest is in making sure that the required disclosure documents satisfy the rather technical disclosure requirements of the federal securities laws. If they do, then the SEC won't give a fig about what will happen to the acquired company under one scenario or another. Under the securities laws, that's for the market to decide.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Classic,

I'm with you on that score. The SEC will let the market decide. Eeeewwww, how nasty....the Market is never kind to Art....

...thank you for proving my point for me again, especially about the bottom line...

BTW, if you ever have a hand or wrist problem, call me first. I'll give you the first hour for free (and I don't give that to just everybody, the law usually prevents it...). I won't bother to lie to you...

BTW, I would LOVE to be proved wrong about this. When will we read something from the industry experts that will convincingly contradict what I've been posting?

...(waiting)....(waiting)...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jmcintyre
e under a non-disclosure agreement if he's a paid consultant. His statements are suspect only to the extent to which you're suspicious of them....

Hi JM,

Which means that, if he has indeed signed a non-disclosure agreement, every public pronouncement he makes must satisfy and protect his contracted and de facto or implied fiduciary interests to all the signatories, not to ours...which makes him a shill for industry, as I said earlier...

...all the more reason to disbelieve...

...just sayin'...thanks for proving my point...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Jonathan,

I know exactly what you mean. Such a pity that upper management ignores your post. Perhaps that will change after the sale goes through...

S
S
"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."

Representing Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Hailun, Pearl River, Kawai Digital Pianos, Samick Digitals, Roland Digitals, & Lowrey Organs
St. Louis Metro Area
www.lacefieldmusic.com
find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lacefieldmusic
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
HI Stephen,

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

shocked mad frown smile laugh

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Hi Steve,

"Not teasing at all. ... Information is an asset, and a market I deal in."

Are you trying to tell us you know something that we don't?

BTW, nobody here's going to pay you anything to hear it, so just say so if you're just giving us a high sign!

[Linked Image]

False premises lead to false conclusions.

Keep in mind these are not snap decisions by the principals, but part of long-term planning.

I am sure there is a soap opera xyz around it, but profit margins around 4% and your capital doing just as well or better in an index fund without the hassle, you look for an exit.

It was a similar scenario for the Steinway family shareholders' sell to CBS.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
P

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
"Market Place" on NPR had an interesting viewpoint on the sale. They seemed to indicate that the investment group is looking for "Luxury" manufacturers and want to polish the image and not destroy the company. They are going after high tag portfolio investors who get in their private jet to go pick out a Steinway. They also indicated the growing market in China is a target and that there is the cash available for individuals to buy an 'imported' piano. It really didn't seem like S&S would start building in China. Essex already caters to a specific market very well.

I am glad the new owners have a dream, but it isn't like the previous owners didn't have this vision and execution strategy either. I saw Steinway ads in Asia during my last travels there, Steinway is already leveraging their name into other products. Sure, the new guys think they are going to do it mo fasta, mo betta. But, with more debt. I don't see the net good, but time will tell.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
You've been around here for a while so you should be aware that Steinway offers two levels of prep to dealers, no prep and mostly prepped. The difference being that no prep costs less. Consequently that's the one most dealers buy because they figure they can prep pianos for those who are players and save a few $$ (more profit) when someone buys a piano for furniture. The company is not shifting burden to unwilling dealers, quite the opposite!

If that's truly Steinway New York's business model, then they are even bigger fools than I suspected. You place the reputation of your company and product in the hands of dealers who could care less? Ask Rich Galassini or Ori Bukai if they would EVER consider placing one of the incredible instruments on their sales floor in LESS than optimally prepped condition, in the hopes of selling it to some "furniture" customer.

Piano Technician/Tuner
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
We're all pretty sure about what's going to happen, aren't we?

The "What" ? Yes.
The "How" ? is TBD.

The "What" is that as a company Steinway is hurting and probably can't survive much longer in its present condition (business model, way of working, current and anticipated market, etc.) it therefore needs some sort of a "turnaround".

The "How" COULD (may or may not) mean extending "down market", asset stripping, whatever all else.
Kinda depends on what the new owners' motivations are and we are GUESSING on those.
Not saying our guesses are right or wrong, not saying that the new owners have fully formed their plans yet, just saying that WE are guessing WRT the "How".

OTOH maybe they are going the way of Kodak;
I dunno bout this Polaroid stuff and digital cameras and such, but we have been in wet photography since the beginning and the Brownie brought home snapshots to EVERYONE.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
It is rather amazing that people with no depth of knowledge in the piano industry would consider their conjecture in these matters as fact.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
There are many avenues down which Steinway and Sons may be taken. For the musician, the desired route is the one that leaves us with dependably consistent, even, responsive, instruments. There is only one way for that to happen, and it takes faith to make the investment.

The only way to glory is if the new owners decided to invest more money in improving the skills of the people that build these pianos, and spending the time required for them to operate at the 100% level. It would mean scrapping more plates, rims, wood, etc, to keep the quality as high as it was in the 1920's. These pianos are handmade, and their quality reflects, in a manner becoming increasingly rare, the direct manual skills of the assemblers. A happier bellyman is going to do a better job notching that bridge.

The amount of time given the workers, and their attitude towards their work, shows up in these pianos. If the new owners want to keep the reputation, they will have to invest after the purchase. If the purchase was all the investment the new owners are willing to make, we will see the name watered down and the marque begin its drift backwards through history.

Regards,

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by R_B
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
We're all pretty sure about what's going to happen, aren't we?

... kinda depends on what the new owners' motivations are and we are GUESSING on those...

Quite right, guesswork is so much fun.

Kohlberg appear to have a well established business model and you can see how they apply it by looking at their investments, all emblazoned across their website.

The press release clearly states their intentions - but nobody believes a word of that, do they?

When you spend $400 million on a brand like Steinway and your aim is to maximize what it realizes in a few years time, what would you do, and why should Kohlberg do anything else - unless they are incredibly smart or amazingly stupid?

Of course they may strip out under performing assets, flog off the instruments, introduce better business practices, but won't the price new owners are prepared to pay for Steinway ultimately depend the quality of the pianos?

Last edited by Withindale; 07/04/13 10:13 AM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission