2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
S

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow. $35.00 per share would be a good return on my 200 shares, which were purchased for $22 per share. Maybe this will start a bidding war with Samick? The standstill agreement will not be in effect.

Since I'll never be able to own a Steinway, it was nice to be able to sat I owned Steinway.

So, who's Kohlberg?

Gary
For those, like me, who don't understand much about financial matters, what does this mean besides Steinway will be owned privately? Is this good or bad for Steinway pianos and for the piano industry? What would be the typical reasons for this type of decision?

B
BDB Offline
B
Steinway has been privately owned most of its history.

Semipro Tech
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
There are a bunch of press releases and stuff like that on the Internet now if you find one of the many news stories. The press releases make it sound as if the buyer wants to keep the company going and even to improve it in terms of sales, etc., which I hope is the case. Wikipedia has an entry on the buyer (Kohlberg) which makes it sound as though this is a possible outcome.

On the other hand, many purchases like this are made by companies that want to cash out a company that has a lot of liquid assets. I have to confess to a bit of worry about this outcome, especially since Steinway just sold Steinway Hall, so has a lot of cash around.

But, on the other hand, Steinway Hall did not bring close to what Kohlberg is paying, and the Steinway Board has apparently recommended that all shareholders tender their shares. So it could be hopeful!

Bob Snyder, what do you think?

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What would be the typical reasons for this type of decision?

See About Kohlberg.

Last edited by Withindale; 07/01/13 12:17 PM. Reason: link corrected

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
There are a bunch of press releases and stuff like that on the Internet now if you find one of the many news stories. The press releases make it sound as if the buyer wants to keep the company going and even to improve it in terms of sales, etc., which I hope is the case. Wikipedia has an entry on the buyer (Kohlberg) which makes it sound as though this is a possible outcome.

On the other hand, many purchases like this are made by companies that want to cash out a company that has a lot of liquid assets. I have to confess to a bit of worry about this outcome, especially since Steinway just sold Steinway Hall, so has a lot of cash around.

But, on the other hand, Steinway Hall did not bring close to what Kohlberg is paying, and the Steinway Board has apparently recommended that all shareholders tender their shares. So it could be hopeful!

Bob Snyder, what do you think?

I'm not Bob but I would be VERY surprised if this were geared to dismantle Steinway. It is simply too valuable an asset.

There could be debt structure problems like the Bain Capital-Guitar Center situation. And there could be increasing pressure to move the NY factory to a less valuable location. And I agree that it could get VERY interesting if other bidders step up.

(My stock in Steinway had a nice increase today.)

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, Steve, I had not thought of the move-to-less-expensive-real-estate risk. Depending on where it is, Steinway may not be New York Steinway any more. If manufacturing moves to a different country (China, to pick a wild example), they won't even be American any more.

I hope that they stay in NY. They have built a lot of their mystique over the years on being New York Steinway and using only American parts; it would be sad to lose that.

Will this affect the relationship between the NY and Hamburg arms of the company?

Last edited by Rank Piano Amateur; 07/01/13 12:09 PM.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Withindale
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What would be the typical reasons for this type of decision?

See About Kohlberg.

Kohlberg say, "Kohlberg invests in companies where it can work in partnership with senior management to identify growth opportunities and implement fundamental operating and strategic changes, resulting in substantial increases in revenue and cash flow. Kohlberg’s use of moderate amounts of debt financing in acquiring companies affords the financial flexibility necessary to attain these corporate objectives."

No doubt Kohlberg have spotted opportunities for growth and will welcome any suggestions in this thread that help to achieve their aims.

No need for wild speculation, though.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The stock is now $35.09 a share. Weird.

Gary

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
My thoughts about moving: The value of the Astoria property is very high and could command big bucks. A sale could infuse yet more capital. My guess is that Steinway might relocate to some area within New York State, to hold onto the tradition of 150 years. I doubt that it would relocate its manufacturing 'off shore.'

Hamburg and NY are the same company, all under the umbrella of LVB holdings. On paper they are the same corporation with independent management. Just as are the various other divisions manufacturing a full assortment of musical instruments, recordings, and sound equipment. I read it to mean that it has all been sold lock, stock and barrel.

But, then again, that only my opinion as I understand the sale as of today.

(Yea, I'm grinnin' too. Capital gains are going to be a bite, however.)

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Plowboy
The stock is now $35.09 a share. Weird.

That happens when a buy-out is announced.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur

Will this affect the relationship between the NY and Hamburg arms of the company?

It's the same company. Whoever buys Steinway Instruments will get both piano factories as well and the band instrument manufacturers.

Gary
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I read about this early this morning - probably from the same press release that Steve saw.

This could get quite interesting. Steinway owns plenty of assets that could be sold while still making pianos.

I have my ideas of likely fallout, but from what I could find of Kohlberg's history - closing Steinway's doors are unlikely. Changing the way they do business seems quite likely.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This doesn't sound good.

Implementation of Operational Improvement Plan

Upon completion of the investment, the first phase of a new strategic plan is implemented. Typically, this phase focuses on excess cost reduction, implementing of best practices techniques to increase centralization of processes and improve efficiency. In Kohlberg’s Industrial Manufacturing and Consumer investments, this cost reduction phase is regularly accompanied by substantial cash flow improvements from working capital reduction. Additional liquidity is also regularly achieved in this phase through divesting non-core assets, which can be a driver of attractive deleveraging, business simplification and further cost improvement.

Targeted Growth and Business Repositioning

The last phase of Kohlberg’s ownership is a renewed focus on sales growth. In each new investment, a growth plan is implemented, frequently calling for savings generated through cost reduction to be reinvested back into the businesses in the form of product development, new market expansion or capacity improvement. In addition, in over half of its investments, Kohlberg will pursue and complete add-on acquisitions that afford an opportunity to complement existing products and distribution, while also creating impetus for further synergy and cost reduction.

Gary
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
My thoughts about moving: The value of the Astoria property is very high and could command big bucks. A sale could infuse yet more capital. My guess is that Steinway might relocate to some area within New York State, to hold onto the tradition of 150 years. I doubt that it would relocate its manufacturing 'off shore.'

Hamburg and NY are the same company, all under the umbrella of LVB holdings. On paper they are the same corporation with independent management. Just as are the various other divisions manufacturing a full assortment of musical instruments, recordings, and sound equipment. I read it to mean that it has all been sold lock, stock and barrel.

But, then again, that only my opinion as I understand the sale as of today.

(Yea, I'm grinnin' too. Capital gains are going to be a bite, however.)

Keep in mind also that Samick bought a huge parcel in Gallatin, TN only a small percentage of which is developed. The chairman of Samick owns such a large portion of Steinway stock that he had to be involved in the decision to go private.

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
True, Steve. I hadn't considered that connection. There is something odd about saying Tennessee Steinway, y'all.

(WOW - New marketing angle: "Steinway - The Thoroughbred of Pianos")

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Perhaps they will make a 'Crown Jewels' Nashville edition, finished in buckskin with 'Steinway and Boys' picked out tastefully in rhinestones on the lid.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
P
P
Another possibility would be Samick divesting itself from Steinway and building pianos under their own name versus the pianos they build for Steinway. Samick has the plant and where with all to build an instrument of what ever quality they want in their new state of the art factory. They also have the financial resources to do what ever they want and are not dependent on Steinways portion of their business. On the opposite side Steinway in very dependent on Samick for their share of their business. Just a thought.

Piano Critic-A player and listener. Musician-Bachelors and Masters in Music. Retired from Professional life and just enjoying Music.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission