Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2111388 - 07/02/13 06:38 AM Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice
eccp19 Offline

Loc: United States
Teachers,

On a pay per lesson basis, how do you treat situations where parents ask to cancel because their child has not had enough practice time due to being away for part of the week?

In my case, the student in question is usually well-prepared for lessons and I have a good relationship with the family.

Thanks for your thoughts.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2111396 - 07/02/13 07:01 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Practice is important so is consistency of lessons on both the part of the student and the teacher. There is always something to learn.Charging for lessons monthly might help too.

rada

#2111400 - 07/02/13 07:13 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: eccp19
On a pay per lesson basis, how do you treat situations where parents ask to cancel because their child has not had enough practice time due to being away for part of the week?

My first reaction is to reiterate that lessons are not commodities and should, as a general rule, not be taught on a per lesson basis. There are obvious exceptions which we don't need to reiterate here, but for teaching students throughout the school year, teachers are well advised to introduce parents to the concept that they're purchasing an educational process very similar to taking a course at a local university. Best results are achieved by constant attendance, even when lesson preparation falls short.

#2111464 - 07/02/13 10:02 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Students (or their parents) are often tempted to cancel lessons for lack of practice. It's up to you what to do in such a situation: many of us charge tuition, based on weekly lessons, so that we are not hurt in the wallet when little Johnny doesn't show up.

Educationally, rada and John have both explained it well: regular lessons are best, even in the absence of practicing.

If you see your student weekly, you could simply explain you will charge for the missed lesson (even if you are paid per lesson), though I doubt the parents would accept this. But that's ok, they would just decide in such case to send little Johnny over for his lesson.

Basically you have to decide which is more important to you: students' home practice or your steady income. It's a goofy trade-off, but there we are.

#2111494 - 07/02/13 10:52 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Mmm... so the parent is punishing YOU for their child not practicing. Is that something you wish to continue?

#2111509 - 07/02/13 11:12 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
asiantraveller101 Offline

Loc: ME
Summer time, ok. Regular school term, NO. Reiterate the fact that the kid works best under a regular lesson routine. Even if he does not practice, coming for lessons still helps since you are supervising his playing/practice. Tell the parent that weekly lesson is hard enough, and you don't want him to practice the wrong stuff.

Edited by asiantraveller101 (07/02/13 11:17 AM)

#2111540 - 07/02/13 12:04 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I started telling parents that I don't accept cancellations, I will accept rescheduling if there is enough notice.

I have them pay at least a month in advance, and the lesson has to be made up within the month. If they can't fit into a slot I offer them, they lose a lesson they've paid for.

So far so good.

(I don't teach piano, but I do teach private lessons - many of the problems piano teachers have, I have too).

#2111549 - 07/02/13 12:11 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
eccp19 Offline

Loc: United States
Great thoughts. I am transitioning over to a tuition basis which makes 100% more sense than a per lesson basis as some teachers here have brought up. Thanks for the posts.

#2111666 - 07/02/13 03:30 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
bmbutler Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Not really anything you can do if you are going pay per lesson basis. Try even going pay a month in advance and I about guarantee you that will stop. If you lose a student or two because of it, they weren't serious anyway (their parents at least!)
Church Musician since 1983

#2114284 - 07/07/13 04:08 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
There is ALWAYS something productive to be done at a lesson. After a week, it will be soon enough to check for rough spots, to find out what's been forgotten or to lay the groundwork for moving further into a piece. Rhythm practice. Follow the leader ear training, improv games, etc. etc. Stress to the parent the value in the opportunity to do these change of pace exercises. Do your best to to send the child home with a "victory" so the child answers positively when asked how the lesson went and you should see these kinds of requests reduced. Heck, I was at time tempted not to practice so I could talk my teacher into some easy duets. ; )

Kurt

#2114389 - 07/07/13 11:01 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: KurtZ]
MaggieGirl Offline

That makes me so mad for you! Just because a kid doesn't do homework doesn't mean he should miss the next day of school, why should piano be different? If you miss something, you just work harder to catch up.

I would make sure to talk to the parent about how the student gets even more behind when he not only doesn't do homework, but doesn't come to his lesson. At the least, the lesson can just re-cover what was learned. There is no way the student could have retained it for so long.

#2114847 - 07/08/13 07:03 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You will be pleasantly surprised at how few cancellations you will get when you have a no-cancellation policy. Suddenly kids are sick as much, and they actually practice more because their parents know they are still paying for the lessons.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2118260 - 07/15/13 10:00 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: KurtZ]
Laurie R. Offline

Loc: Gatineau, QuƩbec, Canada
I agree with KurtZ.

I don't accept lack of practise as an excuse. But every once in a while, it happens to the best of us. I encourage my students to come anyway, saying "OK, we'll do something different this week!"

I use this as a great opportunity to explore something else. To record some pieces from the student's repertoire, or to talk about jazz, or improvisation, or how a piano works, OR sight-read some duets!

I often find that these lessons are the most productive and the most fascinating!

#2118315 - 07/16/13 12:46 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: Stanny]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: Stanny
You will be pleasantly surprised at how few cancellations you will get when you have a no-cancellation policy. Suddenly kids are sick as much, and they actually practice more because their parents know they are still paying for the lessons.

But you will also see kids show up who ARE sick, and then it is very hard to tell them that they can't be there.

#2118365 - 07/16/13 02:23 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: Gary D.]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Gary,

It's not hard at all. You stand "en loco parentis". Grow a spine.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2118366 - 07/16/13 02:27 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: laguna_greg]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
Hi Gary,

I don't follow the logic of these three sentences.

#2118378 - 07/16/13 03:30 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Get your money up front ... with the agreement that cancellations
are to the account of the student.

#2118507 - 07/16/13 11:59 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: laguna_greg]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada

It takes "spine" to have a sense of FAIRNESS. If you have a policy that will not allow a sick child to postpone a lesson, then it is unfair to turn away a sick child who shows up for lessons. That is the specific thing that was being addressed.

I also think it wrong to not allow for sickness. Any business contract between businesses will have clauses for such events. And IF you are giving rules for parents to abide by, then you are not "en loco parentis" because you are addressing the parents, and giving them rules.

#2118533 - 07/16/13 12:44 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I have a strictish no cancellations policy which works most of the time although I am forever having some parents trying to get round it or ignore it. This does mean that some kids turn up to lessons when they are sick which is unfortunate. Ideally I would like to be able to say that cancellations due to illness were acceptable but it just ends up getting abused. Every time someone wants to cancel they will simply say they are sick in order to get round your policy.

Something which happens frequently is the parent will call me to tell me their child is sick and ask if I would still like them to come to the lesson. If I say no then technically it's me who has cancelled and they are then entitled to a make up or refund. This can be a problem.

Going back to the original question though, cancellations due to lack of practice are not at all acceptable.

Edited by Chris H. (07/16/13 12:47 PM)

#2118562 - 07/16/13 01:43 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
ezpiano.org Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Originally Posted By: Chris
Every time someone wants to cancel they will simply say they are sick in order to get round your policy.

That is very true. That is why I stop asking the reasons for canceling and start offering unlimited make up lesson with no credit forward next month and no refund as my backbone.

Parents can cancel as much as they want, but they also pay for those lessons that they cancel, and need to find extra time to make those lesson up. Furthermore, now my scheduling is automated by website software, so, I do not need to deal with scheduling the make up lesson, parents just have to do it themselves online
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2118589 - 07/16/13 02:45 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I don'[ allow sick students in the studio. I have 6-7 group lessons per year that can be used as make-up lessons. I also have a swap list (new this year). We'll see how it goes.

#2118604 - 07/16/13 03:41 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
My teacher has one excused absence per 16 week semester. The student must cancel 24 hours before the lesson to be able to make the lesson up. There is a "make up week" following he 16 regular weeks of lessons. Paying for a semester at a time and having a regular lesson time is a joy!!! I was taking from a college music teacher who would cancel lessons all the time because of her busy schedule. I do better with a lesson every week. It hold me accountable. Otherwise, it's too easy not to practice!!

#2118635 - 07/16/13 04:48 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
Sweet06 Offline

@dynamobt
i think the best part about lessons is that my pride will not let me not practice because showing up with 0 practice would be SO embarassing.

my first real lesson i showed up with no practice, i honestly didn't know i had to practice every day and the teacher owned me haha. never again.

#2118638 - 07/16/13 04:54 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
When my teacher was cancelling lessons, it got easy for me to cancel lessons. Result was some serious inconsistency!!! I really like having a regularly scheduled lesson that I can count on happening. We catch areas I have practiced incorrectly more quickly before they are thoroughly ingrained in my mind and fingers.

I was terrible at effective practice as a kid. Oh, I had to practice EVERY day!! I just don't think I got much done. Now is a bit better as an adult. I realize I really want to play more difficult music. And that isn't going to happen by just showing up at lessons. I have to apply myself!!! Plus, I'm running out of time! Not getting any younger!!

#2118682 - 07/16/13 06:14 PM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I operate with a 'no makeup' policy. I can also choose to alter that policy, depending upon the student (their consistency and commitment to lessons), the parent (are they easy to get along with, pay their tuition on time, etc...) and my schedule. There is no way I could have such a policy if I were canceling lessons several times a year for various conflicts, illnesses, and such.

#2118869 - 07/17/13 01:03 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
If this is not a recurring incident (it does not sound like it is as you state the student is usually well prepared) I would encourage the parent(s) to honor the lesson anyway as we could still work on the 'unpracticed' material together. However, if I perceived continued hesistation I would suggest a make-up if time allowed and if it made sense, or I would simply say I'll see them next time.* It's not the end of the world if a student misses a lesson now and then. It's a problem only when a missed lesson is indicative of a disinterested student or undisciplined parent.

*(I should disclaim that I was not dependent on teaching for the main source of my income which allowed me to be quite flexible in my studio policy.)

Edited by Bernard (07/17/13 01:03 AM)

#2118898 - 07/17/13 03:27 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: laguna_greg]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Gary,

Is this to me personally? "Grow a spine?"

#2118899 - 07/17/13 03:28 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: AZNpiano]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Hi Gary,

I don't follow the logic of these three sentences.

I don't either.

#2118900 - 07/17/13 03:31 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: Minniemay]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
I don'[ allow sick students in the studio. I have 6-7 group lessons per year that can be used as make-up lessons. I also have a swap list (new this year). We'll see how it goes.

Sometimes they are IN a lesson before you find out that they are sick...

#2118909 - 07/17/13 04:36 AM Re: Cancellations due to Insufficient Practice [Re: eccp19]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Minniemay, be sure to remind them to let you know if they decide to swap lessons with someone. I teach a few families who know each other and there have been times when they swapped lessons and forgot to tell me! There I am waiting for X to turn up and all of a sudden I get Y instead haha! Then there are the siblings who have a 30 minute lesson each but now and then just one will show up for the hour because the other is sick or has something better to do. I do make a point of telling the parents that they need to let me know in advance so I can prepare but it doesn't always happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Almaviva, 46 invisible), 1764 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252746 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under £1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission