Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (Alexander Borro, ando, anotherscott, accordeur, 661-Pete, 33 invisible), 1653 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2111744 - 07/02/13 05:49 PM Stinky!!
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I just picked up a "Used - Like New" copy of Tim Richards' Exploring Jazz Piano from Amazon, and I was all excited about it... until the book arrived and it stinks of some horrible cheap perfume (air freshener? Febreze??)

I'm not entirely anti-perfume (I enjoy true essential oils & nice French perfumes), but cheap artificial scents give me headaches and, in sufficient concentration, nausea.

On one hand, I wonder whether a person who voluntarily uses supermarket air fresheners or those smelly dryer sheets would notice the smell of this book, but I definitely did. I needed to wrap it back up in its box, just to get over feeling sick from being in the same room with it.

So is there any way of un-Febrezeing a book? I was thinking of leaving it out on our apartment balcony for a week, buried in baking soda, but i'm not even sure that would work.

Or is "stinky with cheap perfume" a sufficient reason to return a used book to Amazon?

Edited by tangleweeds (07/02/13 05:49 PM)
Edit Reason: typo (OCD)

neglected piano blog

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2111751 - 07/02/13 06:11 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
shinegamix Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
you can try air it outside. thats what i did when i bought used books that had a really bad tobacco smell on them

#2111758 - 07/02/13 06:25 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: shinegamix]
yester Offline

Put the book in a tin together with a bowl coffee powder. Close the box for a few days. After that the smell is much better.

#2111769 - 07/02/13 06:49 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
So is there any way of un-Febrezeing a book?

Let my chocolate lab sleep on it smile Yep, that would definitely do the trick.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2111774 - 07/02/13 06:57 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: JimF]
shinegamix Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: JimF
So is there any way of un-Febrezeing a book?

Let my chocolate lab sleep on it smile Yep, that would definitely do the trick.

that would only work if you loan out your lab

#2111787 - 07/02/13 07:22 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Here's what I've done:

If the box and packaging are stinky too, get rid of them ASAP!
Put the book outside with a container of baking soda next to it. Those fragrances are pretty volatile--that's why people who like them keep using more. It will dissipate over the course of several days to weeks.

#2111877 - 07/02/13 11:22 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
It's funny how some people are supersensitive to smells, myself included. I fell in love with a beautiful chair at consignment shop. Before making an offer I suddenly had the impulse to give it a sniff. It positively reeked of cigarettes! Ew.

Don't even get me started on perfume or cologne at concerts or scented candles - instant headache and cough. When I walk down the detergent aisle at the grocery store my eyes water. Did you know you can request that your newspaper and magazine subscriptions not have perfume ads included? Just tell them you are allergic.

Deborah

#2111885 - 07/02/13 11:37 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

I was on an airplane recently where they announced that there would be no peanuts served because one passenger on board had an allergy. I wanted to ask them to announce to the person behind me in seat 29A that she needed to go wash and stop applying whatever stinky product she thought she needed because of my allergy!

I forgot to say before, good luck with getting the stink out of your book!

#2111888 - 07/02/13 11:40 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Another idea, FWIW:

. . . Put the book in the microwave, on a defrost cycle.

. . . Turn the pages occasionally, so they all have
. . . a chance to air out.

The object is to get it warm, not to cook it.

I have a memory of reading about this, somewhere. But can't find the source -- so use at your own risk.

. Charles

#2111898 - 07/02/13 11:52 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
You have my sympathy, I also dislike artificial perfume-y smells, perfume and scented soaps etc.

What about putting it in a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer? Although, I think the reason that works is for smells which are bacteria based, so maybe it won't in this situation.

In addition to baking soda, doesn't charcoal also work, wrapped up with newspapers??

Tangleweeds, be sure to post back and let us know what method(s) you used and how well it worked. Good luck!

#2111938 - 07/03/13 01:57 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

So it turned out that I remained so outraged madmadmad over my stinky book (I had really been looking forward to getting this one), that I stomped back into the Amazon website and slapped the return button.

Probably because my used book was "fulfilled by Amazon", returning it was pretty painless. I said it was "not as described" since it was supposed to be "Like New", but it had some seriously crumpled & restraightened pages, as well as stinking of Febreze. Amazon accepted that and gave me an UPS return label no prob.

[Which, BTW, is much less of a pain than trying to get a return label for something from a third-party seller which is not fulfilled by Amazon. I've done it a couple of times (shoes that didn't fit, or receiving the wrong book entirely), and I have yet to have a seller who was able to get the return label to me via the Amazon messaging system. After multiple fruitless attempts, I've always had to send them my Gmail address to actually get the darned label.]

Now my roommate/best friend as been buying a number of second hand paper cutting dies, which have a foam layer to protect the blades, and this foam is unfortunately quite effictive at retaining the stink of cigarette smoke (or supposedly remedial Febreeze). She was disappointed when she heard I had simply decided to return the book, as she has been perfecting her destinkefying techniques. Her arsenal includes sunlight, baking soda, charcoal bags, and yes, coffee grounds.

I simply ordered myself a fresh new copy of the book. I had only been saving a few dollars on the used copy anyway.

neglected piano blog

#2111946 - 07/03/13 02:31 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I think Amazon is great for refunds - and many other customer services.

I would have had a similar reaction - I really don't like strong scents...well, it is more than a simple dislike - they give me headaches and create nausea.

Hope your new copy arrives soon!

#2111970 - 07/03/13 03:46 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Dear Tangleweeds,

"it stinks of some horrible cheap perfume (air freshener? Febreze??)"

if ya don`t mind my sayin` so, you nose is in need of de-sensitizing. . ..you really need to stick it up higher in the air. Common people all smell of febreze. A bit naff, isn`t it?

""

#2112008 - 07/03/13 06:08 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
tangleweeds, I read your post, here:

I just picked up a "Used - Like New" copy of Tim Richards' Exploring Jazz Piano from Amazon, and I was all excited about it... until the book arrived and it stinks of some horrible cheap perfume (air freshener? Febreze??)

I'm not entirely anti-perfume (I enjoy true essential oils & nice French perfumes), but cheap artificial scents give me headaches and, in sufficient concentration, nausea.

On one hand, I wonder whether a person who voluntarily uses supermarket air fresheners or those smelly dryer sheets would notice the smell of this book, but I definitely did. I needed to wrap it back up in its box, just to get over feeling sick from being in the same room with it.

So is there any way of un-Febrezeing a book? I was thinking of leaving it out on our apartment balcony for a week, buried in baking soda, but i'm not even sure that would work.

Or is "stinky with cheap perfume" a sufficient reason to return a used book to Amazon?

Interesting thread/posts.

I used to, of course, go to used book stores - but most have closed. I used to find chairs in mint condition left for recycling many years ago, but that changed immediately when hotels and apartments around the world, and here in Canada, had infestations of bedbugs, and getting worse over the years. I live in a shack, but I don't want any problems. In the last 2 or 3 years lots of branches of the public library has had to close because of books having bedbugs I guess returned from places/houses/apartments that have bedbugs, so I don't go to the library. I haven't heard or read of the universities having problems. Don't get downtown very much but I was downtown the other day and there are still people on the sidewalks wrapped in sleeping bags. We didn't have homesless people when I was I kid - they were given money to live on but now governments don't have that kind of money. and the middle class don't all make big bucks so they don't pay big bucks in taxes. Bedbugs are extremely difficult to kill because you can freeze them and unless you boiling things they and their eggs will survive so say the papers. Hospitals, of course, emergency, get people from all walks of life and conditions so they have to be careful.

#2112031 - 07/03/13 07:24 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Weeds,

The dog is disappointed.

(But I'm glad you solved the problem)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2112044 - 07/03/13 08:10 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: peterws]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
Dear Tangleweeds,

"it stinks of some horrible cheap perfume (air freshener? Febreze??)"

if ya don`t mind my sayin` so, you nose is in need of de-sensitizing. . ..you really need to stick it up higher in the air. Common people all smell of febreze. A bit naff, isn`t it?

Sorry peterws. It looks like many of us are with Tangleweeds on this one.

#2112079 - 07/03/13 10:02 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: malkin]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Not really surprised. My favourite smells are

1 Stale beer (I hardly drink these days)
2 Exhaled cigarette smoke. I`ve never smoked.
3 Old motorcycle cylinderheads and exhaust pipes (I rode them)

Being a fella, I should`ve kept me gob shut.
Sorry . . . . !

Edited by peterws (07/03/13 10:03 AM)

""

#2112099 - 07/03/13 10:31 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I am very sensitive to smells. Some are ok but some make me very ill.

There is a odor eliminating spray you can find either in a pet store, health food store, or possibly the super market. They use enzymes to eliminate odors. Maybe go out on the deck, spray it in the air and wave the book through it. If none of the suggestions you've gotten so far work then I'd return it.

One the topic "smells", one of my colleagues wears so much perfume that you know she has been in out building because the smell of her perfume lingers long after she has gone! And I'm not talking a light smell I mean it smells like someone just sprayed perfume in the room. Yuck!

#2112101 - 07/03/13 10:33 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
So it turned out that I remained so outraged madmadmad over my stinky book (I had really been looking forward to getting this one), that I stomped back into the Amazon website and slapped the return button.

Ooops sorry, saw this after I replied.

#2112124 - 07/03/13 11:08 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: peterws]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Sorry . . . . !

You're funny, and as far as I'm concerned, it's okay if you mouth off all you want.
I'm glad you're here, and also glad that the internet hasn't developed Smell-a-vision!

#2112145 - 07/03/13 11:36 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: malkin]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin

Sorry . . . . !

You're funny, and as far as I'm concerned, it's okay if you mouth off all you want.
I'm glad you're here, and also glad that the internet hasn't developed Smell-a-vision!

Me too.

This conversation has reminded me of a guy in an office I worked in years and years ago. The man never seemed to bathe, or wash his clothes, and he smoked and drank. The smell was a physical assault on the senses.
He used to bring handwritten copy to be typed up and put into a word processing format and even the papers he had worked on smelled revolting. I clearly remember one of the women in our group spraying them with her perfume before she worked on them. I always wondered what he thought when he got them back... or maybe he never even noticed....

Edited by casinitaly (07/03/13 11:37 AM)

#2112164 - 07/03/13 12:10 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Freezing, baking soda, put outside for days.. This all does not work. I had one book with bad cigarette smell in it and tried all that.

Good that you returned it.

#2112612 - 07/04/13 05:13 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: malkin]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: malkin

You spoke too soon! grin

http://www.google.com/landing/nose/index.html#video

#2112643 - 07/04/13 06:28 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: Bobpickle]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am doomed . . . . . grin

""

#2112644 - 07/04/13 06:30 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"This conversation has reminded me of a guy in an office I worked in years and years ago. The man never seemed to bathe, or wash his clothes, and he smoked and drank. The smell was a physical assault on the senses.
He used to bring handwritten copy to be typed up and put into a word processing format and even the papers he had worked on smelled revolting. I clearly remember one of the women in our group spraying them with her perfume before she worked on them. I always wondered what he thought when he got them back... or maybe he never even noticed...."

I reckon he`d have erotic thoughts for the rest o` the day . . . 2hearts

""

#2112674 - 07/04/13 08:13 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: peterws]
casinitaly Offline

"This conversation has reminded me of a guy in an office I worked in years and years ago. The man never seemed to bathe, or wash his clothes, and he smoked and drank. The smell was a physical assault on the senses.
He used to bring handwritten copy to be typed up and put into a word processing format and even the papers he had worked on smelled revolting. I clearly remember one of the women in our group spraying them with her perfume before she worked on them. I always wondered what he thought when he got them back... or maybe he never even noticed...."

I reckon he`d have erotic thoughts for the rest o` the day . . . 2hearts

ewww to a factor of 10 !

(And thinking on that (though I'd rather not!) ...
thank heavens it wasn't MY perfume!)

#2113115 - 07/05/13 06:34 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We had a bad smell in the car yesterday. I blamed the dog, wife blamed me for not showering after goin` out on me bike . . . . turned out to be a leaky milk carton from a week ago! But I`ve been using body spray ever since . . . .I sure smell now heh heh . .

""

#2113132 - 07/05/13 07:50 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
casinitaly Offline

My sister accidentally left a chicken in the trunk of her car (that would be the boot, Peter smile ) It must have fallen out of the bag on the trip home from the supermarket...... They discovered it AFTER the weekend ...... the smell was unreal. And long lasting.

#2113871 - 07/06/13 05:54 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
This is a funny thread- made me smile. I would have returned the book also. I am fond of old books and have a few Victorian ones but they smell great, that antique paper smell.
Can't stand stale perfume ( the kind old ladies wear yuk) or that Febreze and synthetic stuff. I like essential oils like Lemon Verbena- have an oil pot.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2113880 - 07/06/13 06:09 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
One of my favorite recorder vendors (Lazar's Early Music) simply won't send recorders out for trial to homes where anyone smokes. Before a trial goes out you sign an agreement that if the recorder comes back smelling of smoke, your card is charged and you own the recorder whether you liked it or not.

P.S. If you're thinking, ewwwww, other people's spit", what comes out of the end of a recorder is condensation, not spit.

#2113882 - 07/06/13 06:13 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Sweet06 Offline

hahaha hilarious!!

#2113883 - 07/06/13 06:15 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: KurtZ]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You can rinse a recorder out under the tap, can`t you? Or soak it in a suitable cleansing solution (not drain cleaner, preferably) shocked

""

#2113924 - 07/06/13 07:43 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

I'm just popping back in to report that the Amazon return went off without a hitch. My account has already been credited back for the smelly book, and the new copy that I ordered to replace the smelly one has arrived.

The only harm done was to my bank account, since I "vengefully" threw in a couple of extra piano booklets when I ordered the replacement for the stinky book. Shopping while peeved can be dangerous...

... but now I can report that this practice guide is pretty cool. It's only a 3 page laminated fold-out, but it's densely packed with excellent practice hints. I've been finding it very energizing to look at when my practice gets unfocused.

Wheras this very similar looking item is a 100+ page book (by the same author) which expands on the condensed nuggets of practice wisdom in the previous item.

I may actually prefer the condensed version, though. It packs more of a punch when my practice gets languid (as can happen in hot weather).

Edited by tangleweeds (07/06/13 07:44 PM)
Edit Reason: details, details...

neglected piano blog

#2114019 - 07/07/13 12:03 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Interesting books, thanks!

Playing since May 02 2009

#2114108 - 07/07/13 09:07 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Weeds,

Can you give us an example of one of the tips from this guide that you think is most useful?

Edited by JimF (07/07/13 09:08 AM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2114287 - 07/07/13 04:13 PM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

Most of the suggestions I have run across before, via the forum and one book or another. I think the impact comes from having all of them densely packed on a largish fold-out pamphlet, which allows my eye to scan over a wide assortment of options until it lands on the one that makes me think, "Bingo! That's just what I needed."

An interesting one was for learning a difficult series of chords:
First play the top notes of all the chords, then the bottom notes, then the top and bottom notes together. Then go through options like middle & top, and middle & bottom, just the middles, etc.

Another I hadn't tried before was, when a short passage is difficult, not just to play it over and over, but to play it forward and backward, until one can loop back & forth, faster & faster.

Others include classics like starting learning at the end of a section, and learn it working forward.

But I think I will end up using it mostly as a practice-rut buster, for when I catch myself phoning in mindless repetitions of a difficult passage, and realize I need to shake myself out of comfortable habits.

neglected piano blog

#2114526 - 07/08/13 06:30 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
That sounds handy Tangleweeds! Might get it myself.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2114530 - 07/08/13 06:56 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
To peterws and Michael 99 - FYI, you can re-type what others say here in order to quote them if you wish, of course - or you can simply use the Quote button below to make it much quicker and easier...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2114557 - 07/08/13 08:51 AM Re: Stinky!! [Re: tangleweeds]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the description, Weeds. That does sound handy.

Estonia L190 #7284

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Forum Stats
77371 Members
42 Forums
160011 Topics
2349813 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission