2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2112076 07/03/13 09:51 AM
OP Offline
OK, so this isn't exactly fit for the topic of the forum but it's puzzling me a bit.

I am a 23 year old beginner pianist been playing for about 1.5-2 years, I am in one of those situations where I play alone day in day out and just wish I knew someone else like minded locally who I could chat/jam with at times.

Trouble is you cannot exactly take a piano/synth/keyboard with you everywhere you go, and I am in a situation where people cannot really come to me either... just wondered if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation you know, wanting to find people who play ANY kind of instrument or just enjoy music in general but weren't sure where to begin?

I'm not really the kind of person who would like to gig/be in a band or anything right now and to be honest, although it may be something I'd consider in the future I cannot see it happening any time soon... I'd just like to find something/someone ANYTHING really where I can go discuss music/make music with like-minded people and could really use some advice. eek

It seems there are not many places about which have keys available either frown soooo if anyone has been in a similar situation, my question to you is.

What did you do?
Where did you look?
What did you find?
How did it go?

Last edited by UKIkarus; 07/03/13 09:53 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I talk with people on here. (You can create a youtube account, post recordings/videos in the pianist corner's member recordings area, discuss works with other pianists, exchange videos, etc etc. Basically anything you want, except hugging another poster. That, generally, you can't do online. wink )

But you can also:

Go to concerts
Find Open Mics (if they have 'em across the pond)
Get a teacher/hook up with other students of that teacher

I made a lot of musical friends in the practice rooms at college, but I'm assuming, since you're 23, that's no longer much of an option for you?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Does this person to jam/chat with have to be a pianist? Heck, I might seek out someone on another instrument (violin/flute/oboe etc) to work through some simple chamber music.

OP Offline
Indeed,

I have often considered making a youtube account and maybe giving that a go... I was in college a few years ago but never considered music really until recently, I have been looking for places local to myself and I have also asked my teacher about other students etc sooo we will see how things go there.

I will of course be active on here too laugh soo hopefully I can make a few friends along the way.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Does this person to jam/chat with have to be a pianist? Heck, I might seek out someone on another instrument (violin/flute/oboe etc) to work through some simple chamber music.

Nope, I'd be happy with anything to be honest... the idea of playing alongside somebody else regardless of instrument seems quite appealing.

Trouble is I live right down on the south east coast in Hastings, and although it's quite musical in its own right I have not yet found what I am looking for.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
what sort of things do you play at the moment?

OP Offline
Anything and everything really... I cannot say for certain, I am hoping to start working on classical to build technique as well as blues/jazz as they are new to me and help experiment with things I normally wouldn't have considered.

But to be honest I tend to play whatever I feel like playing at the time, I am trying to get into reading sheets with a teacher currently so that I can build a proper repertoire and go from there, I have my synth set-up below a wall mounted TV at home so naturally I plug both into my laptop and while listening to ANY kind of music or watching a film etc I end up playing along haha.

Always something new/different to play each day smile

Once I get familiar with sheets a bit more I hope to expand a bit and try out as many different kinds of music as possible to broaden my understanding of each, I am also trying to get into more accompaniment playing while listening to any music with vocals to broaden my understanding of chords and backing as I made a few bad habits starting out on my own and chords in the right hand always catch me out if I am not ready for them frown

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Another forum member wrote about a London piano group. The group site is:
http://londonpianosalon.wordpress.com/

The thread announcing it at this link. It is free to join the email list, but they do charge to attend the events.

There are likely other local music groups. I don't know if the UK has meetup, but that is one place to look for groups on the Internet. Piano is more rare than say guitar, or other more portable instruments, or jazz, blues or folk music groups. A few get a portable digital unit such as a Yamaha NP11 or Nord (if they have the money). There is a trade off here too, because even the smallest unit can be a load to transport on a bus or train, and the cost, and the lightest ones are keyboards, without weighted action.

Good luck to you. I attend Songmakers events in Southern California. Having a local group has been a huge help for me. Not everyone likes groups, or likes to perform. For me, having a place to perform gives a lot more focus to practice, than just practicing with no performance date in mind.

/edit to add: I looked up the distance from Hastings to London and it only about 100 km, so likely a doable trip every once in a while. Other factors might be the cost of transit, and the ticket to attend, and the intimidation factor. Some groups attract a very high skill level, and there is an intimidation factor. A two-year beginner may have a hard time connecting with someone with a performance degree or similar. It is not to say it is a bad thing.

Some folks love finding more experienced musicians and learning from them. However, some are intimidated and retreat. Some prefer to find people at a similar skill level, but that adds to the difficulty of finding a group. Most musicians that attend a group regularly are well past the beginner stage. Some groups will be welcoming of a beginner musician, some not so much.

Oh, one more thing. I see the original poster found the thread for the Piano World European piano party in Brussels (Netherlands). For those reading along, it is July 13th for those with the funds and the time for a trip. The Piano World group is likely to be as friendly as any other group out there.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 07/03/13 12:57 PM.
OP Offline
If only I were that fortunate... I'd feel right at home with a local "Group" I could visit smile for now however I will just have to keep my eyes (and ears?) open and see what I can find!

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
S
S
you can also check out reddit.com/r/piano theres tons of stuff there as well. trying just looking up piano bars or musical events and join them and just make friends there. maybe even post on reddit your area and make a meeting spot to hook up and stuff? let us know what you end up doing!

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
UKIkarus, I have read your post, here:

OK, so this isn't exactly fit for the topic of the forum but it's puzzling me a bit.

I am a 23 year old beginner pianist been playing for about 1.5-2 years, I am in one of those situations where I play alone day in day out and just wish I knew someone else like minded locally who I could chat/jam with at times.

Trouble is you cannot exactly take a piano/synth/keyboard with you everywhere you go, and I am in a situation where people cannot really come to me either... just wondered if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation you know, wanting to find people who play ANY kind of instrument or just enjoy music in general but weren't sure where to begin?

I'm not really the kind of person who would like to gig/be in a band or anything right now and to be honest, although it may be something I'd consider in the future I cannot see it happening any time soon... I'd just like to find something/someone ANYTHING really where I can go discuss music/make music with like-minded people and could really use some advice. eek

It seems there are not many places about which have keys available either frown soooo if anyone has been in a similar situation, my question to you is.

What did you do?
Where did you look?
What did you find?
How did it go?

Nice and interesting post.

The nice thing about music is that every human on the planet has an interest in music.

I will tell you what happened to me. When I was 40, I saw an ad in a newspaper that said people of all levels are welcome to join the community band.

I showed up and I could read a little music. Somebody said get a sax because they are easy to play. So I got a sax and joined the community band of about 40 adults ranging from late teens to 60s.
I couldn't read music very well, and I certainly couldn't play the music. But everybody in the band helped me. But what is so awesome is that I met lots and lots of people talking during the breaks when we played. I found out that lots of these musicians played pianos and all sorts of instruments. And lots of these people played in lots of other bands and jammed with lots of musicians. I also learned about bands and concerts to go and see. In the end I played in a blues band, two concert bands, a jazz band, a sax quartet as well a jammed with other musicians at my house. I lived in a shack and I still do, and I told people who wanted to come to my house that if wanted to jam that is cool but if you want to look at my walls, they should not come because I live in a shack with holes in walls and it has never been painted since the 1970s. We could play at anytime of the day or night because nobody lived that close that could hear us. When I played in the blues band we rehearsed at a "studio" that looked much, much worse than my shack and there would be lots of bands rehearsing every night and I would learn lots of information about bands to go and see. The Blues band had a girl singer, the drummer sang too and played, and there was a bass player, keyboard player and clarinet player, trumpet and bari sax, tenor sax and an alto sax. The keyboard player also played a oboe but he only played the keyboard in the blues band. Although I was 40, most of guys and gals were in the 20s and 30s. So I played in all those bands and was only a beginner player so they wrote out simple music for me to play, so whole notes as opposed to 16 notes.

While I worked on a day job, I slept and ate and lived music 7 nights a week all as a beginner.

So you should consider that option because you are only 23 and I was 40. Now I am learning as a beginner the piano at 63.

So it is easy and cheap to play in a community band and they exist all over the world. So no excuse for you not to consider it. And it reminds me that in many cities around world, there are music newspapers for city events that list bands and movies, etc, and they have ads looking for musicians to jam and play or start a band. You can often post at music stores, universities, coffee houses, even laundromats. Also I see and talk to street musicians and they know where and how to connect. Remember anyone who is making noise with an instrument can help and they don't have to be a piano player because most piano players can't lug their pianos around the street so they play other instrument, too. And if you are dirt, dirt poor, you can own a $5 mouth organ/harmonica that you can keep in your pack pocket 24 hours a day or make food money by playing on the street - and there are "tons" of videos on youtube to teacher you how to play. So the world is there for you - all you have to do is to take one step and you are in the middle of the action. good luck

Last edited by Michael_99; 07/03/13 12:49 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
UKIkarus,

I'm sure you know this but sometimes the best way forward with the piano is to be part of a (musical) community. When you feel like you're collaborating with someone or contributing regularly to a group - that can go a long way to furthering your skills and creating inspiration.

A really good piano teacher - meaning a piano teacher who's a good match for you and very definitely not just any teacher - could help you with a lot of what you've mentioned. You'd be able to discuss your interests and plans and goals and probably get good advice about where to find other like-minded individuals who share your interests. It might be too that you could register for group lessons. Learning with like-minded individuals can be a great experience.

Local music piano and music shops may have message boards where you can put up a flyer about what your interests. Colleges in your area probably offer at least a few night courses on musical topics that interest you. Community arts organisations in your area might have stuff going on that you'd like to know about. You might well find other like-minded individuals in those kinds of venues.

You might also look on the web to see if there are groups in your area who promote or support music or music projects you're interested in.

There's always a lot more around us than we realise ...

Hope this helps!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Here is a of link you should read which may or may not solve your problem. If you find any of it successful would you pm me. I jammed with some guys 35 years ago (we were really going to shake up the world) and it was a great experience, so I wouldn't mind one day doing that again.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-jam-with-your-band-online/

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Hi earlofmar,

I have in fact used these pieces of software already, it was OK at best however even with myself being an IT Engineer and tweaking every setting I could on our router/my system to get the lowest possible latency and bypass all the internal firewalls (even tried static routing for the fastest path) although I managed to get about a 60ms latency it simply wasn't good enough.

Ideally you need around 44ms or less for the delay to be so small that you don't notice, I feel it was probably the ASIO drivers I were using and my USB port but unfortunately that's as fast as I could get it to go frown and that was within the same country not even as far as Hastings -> Kent sooo unless I can find something I have missed which can cut the latency in half or some better drivers to sample faster I cannot use it for real-time jamming.

At the moment I simply call a few peeps online and at best we take turns to play and discuss each others playing after our turns it's better than nothing but I shall have a look around as suggested on here and see what I can find smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Michael_99
UKIkarus, I have read your post, here:

What did you do?
Where did you look?
What did you find?
How did it go?

Nice and interesting post.

The nice thing about music is that every human on the planet has an interest in music.

I will tell you what happened to me. When I was 40, I saw an ad in a newspaper that said people of all levels are welcome to join the community band.

I showed up and I could read a little music. Somebody said get a sax because they are easy to play. So I got a sax and joined the community band of about 40 adults ranging from late teens to 60s.
I couldn't read music very well, and I certainly couldn't play the music. But everybody in the band helped me. But what is so awesome is that I met lots and lots of people talking during the breaks when we played. I found out that lots of these musicians played pianos and all sorts of instruments. And lots of these people played in lots of other bands and jammed with lots of musicians. I also learned about bands and concerts to go and see. In the end I played in a blues band, two concert bands, a jazz band, a sax quartet as well a jammed with other musicians at my house. I lived in a shack and I still do, and I told people who wanted to come to my house that if wanted to jam that is cool but if you want to look at my walls, they should not come because I live in a shack with holes in walls and it has never been painted since the 1970s. We could play at anytime of the day or night because nobody lived that close that could hear us. When I played in the blues band we rehearsed at a "studio" that looked much, much worse than my shack and there would be lots of bands rehearsing every night and I would learn lots of information about bands to go and see. The Blues band had a girl singer, the drummer sang too and played, and there was a bass player, keyboard player and clarinet player, trumpet and bari sax, tenor sax and an alto sax. The keyboard player also played a oboe but he only played the keyboard in the blues band. Although I was 40, most of guys and gals were in the 20s and 30s. So I played in all those bands and was only a beginner player so they wrote out simple music for me to play, so whole notes as opposed to 16 notes.

While I worked on a day job, I slept and ate and lived music 7 nights a week all as a beginner.

So you should consider that option because you are only 23 and I was 40. Now I am learning as a beginner the piano at 63.

So it is easy and cheap to play in a community band and they exist all over the world. So no excuse for you not to consider it. And it reminds me that in many cities around world, there are music newspapers for city events that list bands and movies, etc, and they have ads looking for musicians to jam and play or start a band. You can often post at music stores, universities, coffee houses, even laundromats. Also I see and talk to street musicians and they know where and how to connect. Remember anyone who is making noise with an instrument can help and they don't have to be a piano player because most piano players can't lug their pianos around the street so they play other instrument, too. And if you are dirt, dirt poor, you can own a $5 mouth organ/harmonica that you can keep in your pack pocket 24 hours a day or make food money by playing on the street - and there are "tons" of videos on youtube to teacher you how to play. So the world is there for you - all you have to do is to take one step and you are in the middle of the action. good luck

Interesting indeed, thanks for posting... I have often considered looking into potential other instruments on the side but since I have only just started piano it had always steered me away as I saw it as more of a distraction.

I guess I will have a look around and try a few things out, can't hurt to try smile

And no, you cannot exactly lug a piano about... if only it were that easy!

Last edited by UKIkarus; 07/04/13 04:38 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
D
D
I was lucky. 25 years ago, during my previous "get back into proper piano practice" period, I came across an adult education class in London for piano. Back then there were lots and lots of free or low cost evening classes. So I joined a piano class. There were about ten of us and only one teacher and three pianos, but socially it was great. Sadly, both labour and conservative local governments have tended to cut back all the evening classes to a shadow of their former wonderfulness.

And I met the wife there. So what ultimately resulted was a family! And music taking a back seat for a couple of decades!

Yamaha C3X SH
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Derulux
Basically anything you want, except hugging another poster. That, generally, you can't do online. wink

Oh but the hugs that would be given out grin

OP Offline
Originally Posted by jdeacon
I was lucky. 25 years ago, during my previous "get back into proper piano practice" period, I came across an adult education class in London for piano. Back then there were lots and lots of free or low cost evening classes. So I joined a piano class. There were about ten of us and only one teacher and three pianos, but socially it was great. Sadly, both labour and conservative local governments have tended to cut back all the evening classes to a shadow of their former wonderfulness.

And I met the wife there. So what ultimately resulted was a family! And music taking a back seat for a couple of decades!

Wow, that worked out al-right then didn't it? smile

Yeah London would be reachable (Although I have to start driving A.S.A.P really) if I can find a few places I'd happily find my way there no problems.

Last edited by UKIkarus; 07/04/13 06:08 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
Originally Posted by Derulux
Basically anything you want, except hugging another poster. That, generally, you can't do online. wink

Oh but the hugs that would be given out grin

Hehehehe smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Any tips/pointers on what I should focus on daily to get as much as I can out of the time I have? sometimes I try to read sheets and learn a piece a bit better and I just cannot focus at all, other days I can look at them and find it quite simple learning a piece and wanting to go on with more; improving on what I have so far and learning other pieces in the process.

I guess all in all I am just being lazy and should pull my finger out haha!

Last edited by UKIkarus; 07/17/13 05:38 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission