Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2113914 - 07/06/13 07:20 PM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
Anne H Offline

Has anyone else tried the "Hand-Eze" gloves or similar types of things? I've been thinking about getting some to help prevent injury, as I've been through the whole tendonitis thing and don't really want to go back. Can you practice with them on? My job involves tons of typing, so my hands get more use than most people's.
Bach Inventions
Einaudi - Berlin Song, Reverie

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2113921 - 07/06/13 07:33 PM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

Nothing, (other than Tramadol) works better for me than to have my wife gently massage my bodies joints with her fingertips. ...

I'm hoping to be constructive here. Truly! Please don't take anything as an argument. I wish to learn as well as share info. I ain't no expert. I have learned more than most bother to.

The above statement rung a bell with me. That joint mobility I speak of. For me, it was a release of full body blood flow. Like every one of my joints were a Bonsai tie. I didn't have but a hint of arthritis. It's gone now. It ain't no quick fix either. Takes a year to start realizing the results. That's just the start.

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

Pain in the joints are often caused by 'Barorecepters' in your joints that sense the change and imbalance in barometric pressure.

I can only relate to this in that I used to have many sinus headaches. I could always tell when it was going to rain. Doing this joint mobility. Part of it is moving the head. The mobility of the upper reaches of the spinal chord. I had been doing this almost 6 months. I was moving my head like Stevie Wonder. Yes that's one of the movements. Something popped in my head. My sinuses were clear. Could hear, see better. Better sense of balance.
I could never before run while breathing through my nose. I can do that now.
I don't have sinus headaches anymore.
I also rationalize this as from a show on the brain with Alan Alda. As people get older. There is a build up of fluid in the center of the brain. Younger people don't have this. I'm rationalizing that I released that fluid. I can rationalize that adults won't move their head much so that fluid builds up.
Much of this mobility wisdom is based on the fact that fluids build up in joints. We don't move them enough to release that. The joints get deposits in them. They're not healthy enough to get rid of that. Then things like arthritis happen.

One thing that I find more than interesting with my mobility work. My feet. Foot problems run in my family. I always had to wear shoes. I have gone to much mobility work on my feet. Also I wear Vibram Five Fingers mostly. I run in Vibrams also. When I was 49. My shoe size was 9 1/2 D. Had been for all my adult life. Since then, I finally bought a pair of boots for work. They are 11 EEE.These aren't even lace up boots. They're slip on. They fit great. My feet have grown. I'm 53 now.
My brother complains about foot problems. He has doctor prescribed inserts. The whole 9 yards. I tell him to just be harder on his feet. Do mobility drills for his feet. He won't listen. He keeps suffering.
My brother was also impressed at how easily I bend over to pick up a piece of paper off the floor. He couldn't believe it. He won't listen and do mobility drills.

I just wanted to share. This has done a ton for me. Made me younger, literally. I just wish everyone the best. Hope they would at least give it a good try for a year. They won't regret it.

#2113958 - 07/06/13 09:10 PM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I use the Hand-eze gloves and swear by them. They don't look like they would do much. But, they do. My night time circulation in my hands has improved tremendously. For any reason I don't wear them, I sure know it!!! My hands will be slightly swollen and quite painful without them.

edit to add, Yes you can play with them on. They are very unobtrusive.

Edited by dynamobt (07/06/13 09:11 PM)

#2114021 - 07/07/13 12:06 AM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
dynamobt, I can easily see how wearing the gloves could provide some relief. Compression therapy does work to some degree.

Many people experience increased support and circulation from just wearing something tight like thermal underwear.

I wear tight fitting thermal underwear under my jeans in very cold weather and the increased support from them is very noticeable. The slight squeezing pressure on the knee and hip joints from the tight thermal underwear pants is a welcome relief.

Rocking chairs and porch swings work well too in a different way. They keep you moving without focusing the pain on one specific position.

#2114122 - 07/07/13 09:48 AM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Anne H]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Anne H
Has anyone else tried the "Hand-Eze" gloves or similar types of things? I've been thinking about getting some to help prevent injury, as I've been through the whole tendonitis thing and don't really want to go back. Can you practice with them on? My job involves tons of typing, so my hands get more use than most people's.

Anne, I have worn gloves while using the computer for years now. Mostly, I buy the inexpensive, cloth gloves from the big stores and cut the tips off. Lately for piano, I use full fingered gloves designed to be used with touch screens. I lose a bit of span, but the trade off is comfort. It also keeps the keyboard really clean, which I like.

I believe that for me, keeping the hands warm is the key component. Cool and damp weather makes me feel worse. Cool being a relative term given my Southern California location.

I have also seen carpal tunnel gloves. Have not seen the Hand-Eze in person, though I am curious now. One advantage is a longer cuff to cover the wrist area.

#2114147 - 07/07/13 10:54 AM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I have some fingerless IMAK gloves too. I like them so much that I hardly even feel silly wearing them in overly air conditioned rooms in the summer time.

#2114476 - 07/08/13 02:58 AM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
My arthritis started at the age of 75 ...
seemed like the end of the world with an achy left hand ...
which curtailed my touch-type computer work,
not to mention the frequent daily visits to my Grotrian Steinweg upright.

But within a month, the hand recovered ...
leaving me trying to guess what I had done right ...
here are some of the clues to the easing

1. Exercise (slow/fast walking when shopping)
2. Warm water (washing hands or lying in a bath)
3. Eating pineapple and other fruit
4. Eating spinach and other vegetables
5. Occasionally taking aspirin

However, my daughter (in the medical field) says that
my recovery is due to having a highly active sporting
career ... apparently my heart responds well to a chase ...
(deep intake of air).

Here’s hoping some of the suggestions might help
my less fortunate colleagues.

Kind regards, btb

#2114691 - 07/08/13 02:10 PM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Don't discount the fact that a food allergy or sensitivity and vitamin deficiencies could be causing your problems.

I had a lot of hip pain swelling (i felt like I was swollen from the inside) other pain/stiffness and fatigue. I recently did an elimination diet and cut out suspected food allergens (gluten, dairy) as well as some other common allergens. The hip pain is GONE! The swelling is GONE! A lot of the stiffness ummm GONE! The overwhelming fatigue has significantly decreased. I also have some vitamin deficiencies that could be contributing to some of the pain and fatigue that I am still working on and hopefully I will continue to improve (oh yeah and my sleep has improved as well). But the reason I wanted to mention this is because in my research many people who have done an elimination diet who believed they had arthritis has significant improvements or they symptoms went away completely. Might be worth a try. smile I know the something definitely had some kid of effect on my because even my face was swollen but that has gone now! phew!
Best of luck.

#2114700 - 07/08/13 02:23 PM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
High humidity can also be a significant factor. Living in an air-conditioned / dehumidified environment could help.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D

#2116725 - 07/12/13 06:58 PM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Originally Posted By: Mr Super Hunky
I have not noticed anyone who has been significantly affected by arthritis pain become 'normal' or permanently better. They just do everything they can to manage it and keep things somewhat under control.

Yes I'm afraid that is the case. there is no cure, just slowing the progress and managing the situation as best you can.
Exercise and diet is so important for many aspects of our lives - but if it relates to ability to play piano it goes to the top of the priority list for me!
As for the drugs, then quite rightly they are a last ditch resort and to be kept at minimal levels.
So many great suggestions here.
Blue Emu is in hiding up here although I'm sure there are internet shopping sites. Icy Hot is readily available and I was suprized at its effect. Great when things flare up a bit!
I had a hard time finding arthritis gloves. Again internet sales possible but hard to just buy something like this without seeing and trying on, especially since most are non-returnable items and ended up being quite expensive.
I did find some Imak's in a pharmacy so bought them at a reasonable price - under CA$30. I was a bit sceptical but have fallen in love with them. I literally do wear them all but 24/7. Last winter fingerless gloves were all the rage. It's just funny to be wearing gloves through summertime!
They ease the night time swelling, and keep me nice and warm in the air con. I do wear other gloves on top for household chores and gardening.
My hands are big so even the little restriction in stretch doesn't affect my playing piano. If they stop helping then maybe I'll check out the other kinds that offer more support but these are fine for now. A really easy instant way to get some relief! thanks for all the advice!

#2116750 - 07/12/13 08:08 PM Re: Arthritis alternative besides STOP Playing! [Re: Palmpirate]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I also bought some new gloves based on the replies here. Mine were thin nylon/spandex no-name gloves from Ebay for about $9. Seems like quite a bit of money for what they are, but they seem useful. This gives me yet another pair for me to wear. Because they are so thin, I can use them as glove liners for additional support. I am concerned about washing and how long they might last.

I have over ten pairs of gloves. Many of them are from the dollar store. I have different weights, different colors, different material. Some I cut the fingers off, some I leave intact, a few came fingerless.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (ajames, *windowlicker*, 88 Fingers Jeff, ando, 36251, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1281 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157130 Topics
2307591 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission