2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 10 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Playing with arthritis

I know I have arthritis in my shoulders and have had tendinitis in my arms.
Lately my hands are swollen from time to time but I put it down to my daily activity of being responsible for the gardens and the vineyards around here. Lots of weeding and pruning. I stopped the digging and hard stuff when my shoulders packed in but I'll stop everything else before I stop piano playing! I worry because I was practicing yesterday and could here those cracks and pops in my finger joints and I haven't been aware of that before. As yet no significant pain. Already on celebrex and am not convinced it helps.

I see from the survey result there are plenty of 'older' players in this community. In a forum search the lasts mention on arthritis was in 2011 with plenty of good advise.I would like to hear form others who are 'suffering' through it and what sacrifices they have had to make in their playing and practice regimens.

Hope that there ideas out there that I haven't yet thought of.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have problems related to repetitive stress from years on the computer, flute and pennywhistle. What helps me is a list of things:

* I use cold packs before and after playing, especially if there is minor swelling of the joints
* I also soak my hands in warm water
* I limit my practice time to about an hour a day
* I wear gloves while playing and whenever it is cool. Cold causes me discomfort, a cold computer mouse causes a near instant flare if I am not wearing gloves.
* Yoga and some other exercises have done wonders for minor aches in my neck, shoulders and back, and overall levels of body tension.
* If hand discomfort crosses over to pain, I take a day or two days off.

I am sure some will mention posture and technique. However, from what I recall, the original poster is an experienced pianist working with a teacher, so these are likely non-issues.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I sleep with "Hand-eze" gloves on. They don't look like much. But they have made a world of difference in my hands! I don't think I could play without them. And they are so unobtrusive that it's possible to play with them on too.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I've mentioned it before. Don't want to sound like spamming. There is a very common sense practice that works wonders. People have gotten rid of arthritis. Yet, the guy who teaches it won't lay claim to any cures. It's just an old practice of mobility drills. Many of us haven't moved joints in our bodies in certain ways in years. This builds up junk in the joints. It's unhealthy. Blood flow is down. It's not good. When we move our joints to their fullest extent. In every way they can move. Junk is released and blood flows better in them. It's very healthy. Your body can do a whole lot more to repair than any doctor can. Give it a chance.
The cracking and popping you hear is fluids building up in the joints. They are being released.
Your shoulders. Do you bother to purposely "pack" your shoulders. Hold them in and down. I have run into trouble because I found I was using my left shoulder extended for too many things. Didn't even think about it. Piano aggravated this. Even though piano is no great stress. Body builders extend their shoulders. And have problems as a result. Fighters pack their shoulders.
If you really want to know the mobility program. PM me. I don't want to sound like I'm spamming. I have no financial connection with the teacher. Just a very happy student.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
If I play every day, starting with simple exercises like the Schmitt (sp?) book, my hands are ok (although dampness and cold exacerbate the issue).

I've also found when I have pain that Blue Emu works wonders (also use it on the arthritis in my knees and my back). If you've never used it, give it a try, wonderful stuff (topical).

I know the concert pianist Byron Janis suffered terribly for years with arthritis, yet he was able to overcome it and play again.

Like you Palmpirate, I can't imagine not playing.

I hope you find the right combination and keep playing for many more years.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I second Ron on this. My mother did arthritis excercises in classes sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation and kept it at bay for years and years. She had it particularly bad in her shoulders. But the mobility exercises Ron is referencing are very much like that, and the guy has a great series of videos. So pm Ron smile

And as far as I can tell, it's piano playing that's helped me not having it in my thumbs - I injured them a lot while falling when I should have skiing smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In addition to the above--I don't tolerate discomfort in my hands when I'm practicing. I stop and figure out how to relax and play without any hint of anything that might become pain.

Alternate hands in hands separate playing so each hand gets short periods of work and rest.

Massage.

Learner
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I live in Arizona because I have to. Having long term chronic Lyme disease, the associated arthritis that comes with it can at times become nearly immobilizing for me. I MUST have VERY dry conditions or I lock up!.

Besides a low humidity environment, the biggest natural difference that I can make is to eat a healthy diet. Not a bunch of supplements but just really good quality home made food with healthy ingredients that your body can actually assimilate.

Also, an ongoing regimen of weight bearing exercises to build up surrounding muscles thereby reducing the stresses placed on the joint being used as a leveraged hinge. Instead, the stronger surrounding muscles will do the work.

In addition, stretching to ensure a full range of motion is essential.

Wash yourself with homemade cold processed soap and consider sleeping on a latex bed in silk pajamas to be as comfortable as possible.

In addition, 'Icy Hot' does work to help relieve some pains or at least help take the edge off.

If things start getting really bad, talk to your Doctor about taking Tramadol to deal with the pain.

Windy days, (barometer changes), will be the worst. Avoid much physical work on those days.

I hope some of these tips helps as being in pain sucks.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Sand Tiger, Thanks for all your info.
i can't imagine using a cold pack for my hands - give me the warm soak anytime! I find I manage to play about 1 1/2 hrs before I notice slight fatigue - and take a break.
A cold computer mouse? in CA? must be the air conditioning...? But I must agree being cold is the pits. I hadn't thought of wearing gloves to practice - you must mean fingerless ones. Sounds like a great idea.
I'll have to get back into yoga. It certainly helped me before and will be a nice change of pace for me.
Haven't felt I've needed to take time off at the moment. - that would ruin my MOYD record and I'm so determined to get a little piano motive for 2013!
This web is so supportive. When i saw how many answers I got so quickly, it had me tearing up!
Thank you !

D
D
One of the things that's bugging this old one, is trying to balance the various remedies. Years ago I started feeling pain in my hips. I started Chondroitin and Glucosamine tablets, which is an unproven "supplement". As far as the hips are concerned, it seems to work. And it's fairly close to some naturally-occuring substances so it doesn't seem too risky.

I get gout. Friends with gout, and friends with arthritis, take NSAIDs such as diclofenac or naproxen. I note that Celebrex is an NSAID. However, NSAIDs are implicated in tinnitus. And I have mild tinnitus and I'd hate for it to get worse. So for the gout I take colchicine, but that's frightening stuff; I'm very careful with it.

I was on 75mg of Asprin (anti-cancer, anti-circulation-probs regime) but asprin is associated with tinnitus as well. So I stopped that.

And it goes on. I was put on statins for cholesterol that was slightly over the acceptable range. Statins are also implicated in tinnitus. I haven't yet decided what to so about this one.

I'm getting back into piano playing. One of the reasons for recently going to a grand was to tempt myself into more regular practice. Before buying the C3X a doctor friend and I were discussing RSA and typing as I've done a lot of computer keyboard work over the years. Does piano playing carry the same RSA risk? I haven't read up on that one but the conclusion we reached is that plenty of people play piano into old age and maybe it actually helps rather than hurts. Probably the greater range of movements compared with a keyboard and mouse are good for us. So, plenty of Romantic and Russian mixed in with the Bach.

(And now I'm not sure if the louder piano isn't worsening my tinnitus. Was it always there and now I'm noticing it? Or is it getting worse? Grrr.)

Yamaha C3X SH
Two years ago what I am about to say would have struck me as complete lunacy. I gave up wheat, and I mean every trace of it, and my arthritis symptoms completely disappeared. If you look up Dr. William Davis' blog you'll see I'm not the first. YMMV.

Tom

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I’d been a keen swimmer as a youth but lost interest so when in middle age I decided to restart kicking out several lengths of breast stroke as though my life depended on it I was left with a knee injury and a hobbling gait for the best part of a year. I still can’t be sure I didn’t suffer a similar fate when after a 10 year hiatus I decided to start playing the piano again (and joined PW) developing what I assume was arthritis in my thumbs and pain that would keep me awake at night. I didn’t want to stop playing so in desperation and having prior suspicions I chose to kick the statin I’d been prescribed. The pain went (was it the statin or over-practising?) and now that I’m on a different statin I have different pains (RH 4th finger and heels of both feet). It’s not easy to conduct a controlled experiment on oneself but I’m now trying dietary changes - it’s painstaking and might well be pointless. FWIW, someone told me they had terrible pain in their feet which disappeared after giving up a tomato soup that had become a daily habit. I wish you luck.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
dynmobt,
funny how much these responses have helped me just feel 'not so alone' even though it's all kind of a virtual world. Yours is the second suggestion I've read about wearing gloves so shall do a bit of research and seek some out . Maybe wearing them at night might ease the 'puffy' feeling that happens some mornings.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks rnaple, will send pm for more info.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Blue Emu is on my shopping list. I hope it works for me too.
Not familiar with the Smitt book so will look it up. I usually do start with a really easy study or two. No way I could go straight into any of my pieces. The mistakes are bad enough without more excuses!
Yes, the weather is always an issue. Summer up here in the Okanagan BCis lovely so I willingly 'throw in the trowel' and lighten up with the gardening in favor of practicing. Especially now since I've just started getting my pension! Isn't that when most people stop working! Maybe I'll have to escape winters earlier and earlier each year. Not a hard decision but I will have to get a decent keyboard to take with me!
Going to read up on Byron Janis. I'm sure he will be an inspiration.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for your note Jotur. I don't know of any family history for me to refer to. I do know that old injuries do complicate life and keeping joints and muscle 'Limbered- up' is a good idea. I remember my son injuring his thumb skiing. It took ages to get right again. Glad you have an added incentive to keep playing and glad that the playing helps your thumb!
All in all, seems like to stop playing is not an answer to ease arthritic hands!

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi Malkin, needless to say I've become very sensitive to how my hands feel.
My first teacher on my return to piano was constantly telling me about hand positioning and explaining the physiology of it. He was quite passionate about it and felt that some of the asian teacher were nothing less than torturers. Such incorrect techniques led to early ending of careers due to injury. What a terrible shame.
When I notice any problems I run through the tapes in my head of what he taught me and make sure I am relaxed and in control of how I use my hands and arms.
I think there was a practice video somewhere on PW that advocated practicing as you suggest with alternating hands separate to maximise the use of time and energy. I can certainly use every tip that's out there. Thanks.
Like the idea of hand massages too.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Mr Super-Hunky. Thanks for all your suggestions. Glad living in Arizona helps you with your condition. I was sorry to hear that you suffer like that.
Our family is very 'food conscious' with lots of vegetarians and vegans around. I started out 'cordon bleu' in the 70's but have changed radically over the years and fully understand your admonitions to stay with the 'healthy' way of dealing with ailments.
And I take to heart your mentioning the exercising and stretching as several replies have talked about it.
Funny your mentioning the kind of soap to use. I recently developed a weird allergy commonly called 'Margherita- itis' since part of it relates to lemons and limes! But- the search for citric acid free soap has been a challenge, and with many other things.
Love the idea of shopping for silk pj's! Maybe I should get up early and keep them on for practice!
I shall add Icy-hot' to my list of things to try , along with the Blue Emu, mentioned above.
Next time I see the Doc, I will mention pain control, especially since the celebrex doesn't seem to help. I'll research the Tremadol you suggest.
I shall watch and see if the wind is a factor for me. We do get a 'mistral' type afternoon gust from the lake here but I haven't noticed any connection. Don't need too much reason to l sit down and lighten up!

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
jdeacon, you do have a balancing act - I hope you found one that works for you. The glucosamine/chondritin route did not work for me.
Lovely piano! Wonder if I can use the practice incentive excuse to get me one! Not that I am unhappy with my GC1 !
I shall definitley add some Romanti Russians into the mix!

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
TomInCinci Glad you found your solution and Thanks for the tip.
I shall read up on that and see if it's something I should try. It wouldn't surprise me since I am such an allergic person. Just one more thing to add to the list. But if it works then for sure it's 100% in!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission