Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 270 of 275 < 1 2 ... 268 269 270 271 272 274 275 >
Topic Options
#2089680 - 05/27/13 02:19 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: Elene

(I don't know who Tugboat Annie was!)

Elene

You're too young. (I apparently remember the TV series from the 50's)

Tugboat Annie

Ain't Wiki wonderful - - smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2092611 - 05/31/13 02:24 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
Boże mój, what strange things do happen on the interwebs! Look at this:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2092584.html#Post2092584

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#2094930 - 06/03/13 10:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Goomer Piles Offline

There is a sublime performance of the third Ballade in the Members' Recordings section of the Pianist Corner by an Estonian pianist with whom I'm not familiar. It would be worth mentioning in its own right, but it's all the more so because it was 'critiqued' in a laughably patronizing way by someone who has posted in this Devoted to Chopin thread.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2093959/Jaak.html#Post2093959

#2095013 - 06/04/13 01:16 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I wasn't trying to start a lot of criticism of other posters or complaining (or was I? after all, complaining tends to be fun), only to show how quickly and easily confusion can grow on this here Web thing. I was both annoyed and amused by this odd conversation, which grew out of a piece of art by Mary-Rose and a post from my very own blog.

I do like Jaak's performance of the ballade very much, and the few weaknesses it has will probably get worked out.

When Hershey Felder was doing his appearances as Chopin a few years ago, I wasn't aware of him, and I only heard of him because of our friends here, but yesterday my mother and I had the opportunity to see him turn into Leonard Bernstein. Here's part of what I just posted about it elsewhere:

"I was interested in Felder because he had greatly impressed some friends of mine with his one-man show on Chopin a few years ago, and I'm enthusiastic about Bernstein as well. Felder is a man who can play the piano, sing, lecture, compose, and write, and do a lot of it all at once. It was over an hour and a half of just him, with massive amounts of high-speed, high-energy verbiage and a wide range of music, including an impression of Lenny's father yelling at him in Russian, Yiddish, and English all at the same time. The amount of preparation and rehearsal needed must be incredible, and he has more than one show running at a time; he's still doing his old Gershwin presentation, and has a new one related to Lincoln, too. (I don't know if he's doing the Beethoven anymore.)

"Although I had read and heard the story of how Bernstein left his wife, and how she died, many times, I still sat in stunned silence with the rest of the audience as he described it. Felder connected surely and masterfully with us.

"My only complaint is that his hair was totally wrong."

This clip doesn't really give you the feeling of the live performance, and perhaps you can quibble with his singing, but here's the idea:

Felder as Bernstein

Back when I first heard about him, I looked for videos and there weren't any. There are a number of them now. Here's one from his Chopin presentation, but you can't see his face:

Felder as Chopin

If we could see his face, we'd see this (a shot attributed to the Tucson Citizen):

I see that our friend Jeff Kallberg has been his music history consultant.

Elene

#2095015 - 06/04/13 01:28 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Goomer Piles]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Goomer Piles
There is a sublime performance of the third Ballade in the Members' Recordings section of the Pianist Corner by an Estonian pianist with whom I'm not familiar. It would be worth mentioning in its own right, but it's all the more so because it was 'critiqued' in a laughably patronizing way by someone who has posted in this Devoted to Chopin thread.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2093959/Jaak.html#Post2093959

Do you really need to drag your fight over here? Polyphonist is very accomplished, probably a professional, and none of his criticism could have been considered gratuitous or vicious. He certainly wasn't patronizing. On the contrary he showed definite respect for the poster by assuming his desire and ability to improve and by spending the time to address specific areas for improvment, not simply waving him off with a limp and idle, and useless, "that's nice." The only fault I can see is that he might better have addressed this in a PM.

#2095017 - 06/04/13 01:35 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm just glad the young whippersnappers are still interested in playing Chopin.

And I still want us to play nice around here.

Elene

#2095023 - 06/04/13 02:15 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Goomer Piles Offline

I've come to loathe Polyphonist. An IDIOT. Remember I wanted a conversation about Op. 52? Once he or she got around to inviting me to approach him or her by private message, and I did so. Multiple paragraphs of well considered information and queries. You know what I got back? Two sentences.

You know, you all need to get off the high horses about 'playing nice'. The world is not a nice place, and that goes for most of what I've observed at Piano World as well.

What have you actually heard of Polyphonist, Frycek? How exactly do you know that he or she is accomplished? How would you even know how to judge whether someone is accomplished or not given your own limitations?

And for your information, Polyphonist pulled the same crap in the Pianist Corner by eviscerating a performance of Islamey. And the folks there RIPPED HIM A NEW ONE. So don't effing lecture me.

#2095025 - 06/04/13 02:23 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You're out of line, Goomer, being truly hurtful, and if you wish to start attacking me, or the completely undeserving Frycek, I won't go along and encourage that. Please get some rest, and I hope you are feeling kinder and better tomorrow. Seriously.

Elene

#2095033 - 06/04/13 02:33 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Goomer Piles]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Don't you start barging in here lecturing me. You drag a fight over here to me, you're going to get one.
And what the heck do you know about my limitiations? Only what I have, in honesty stated. I know I've been playing the piano for more or less fifty years and I at least recognize when someone knows what they're talking about and when they don't. Maybe Polyphonist comes off as a bit arrogant. The knowledgeable usually do. You like to LOATHE other people. You like call them IDIOTS. You're not interested in respect. You say the world isn't a nice place. Piano World isn't a nice place. Of course the World isn't a nice place, nor is PW, necessarily. We have no real control over The World, it's "niceness" or lack of it, only of our own actions in it and those can be as "nice" or a nasty as we want them to be. Apparently you prefer the nasty. You certainly seem to enjoy spreading it about. Why else would you name yourself after an anal lesion? Well, go wallow in it.

#2095453 - 06/04/13 04:57 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Edwardian, do you happen to remember which 19th-c. personages appeared in other animations like this? I'd love to check them out. This one was scarily well done, even though one has to make a little extra leap to imagine Chopin speaking fluent Italian (not an extreme leap, since he did study that language in his youth and spend some time in Italy later). Although the voice is quite deep it didn't seem implausible to me.

It did seem odd that they had him say he didn't travel much. Far less than Liszt, certainly, but far more than most people of his time.

Elene

Sorry for the late reply Elene- on you tube there are John Keats animations :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAE1Aa6SB_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbeGlWcgbE0

I forget who else there is- think it was Oscar Wilde.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2095507 - 06/04/13 06:29 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I had to give poor Keats some company so here's- - - - - Oscar!

Oscar Wilde Animation

#2095515 - 06/04/13 06:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cheers for Oscar! It's the same voice who did John Keats LOL. Frycek was it you who made the witty post about an Oscar Wilde character who didn't feel worthy of his teapot? That made me laugh that did! It was on the are you worthy of your piano or something like that.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2096386 - 06/05/13 05:05 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Cheers for Oscar! It's the same voice who did John Keats LOL. Frycek was it you who made the witty post about an Oscar Wilde character who didn't feel worthy of his teapot? That made me laugh that did! It was on the are you worthy of your piano or something like that.

Yes, I was but I got it a bit wrong, though I swear someone in one of Wilde's plays uttered that line, or perhaps it was just a movie adaption which took some liberties.

Here is the origin of the expression, a cartoon by George DuMaurier (Daphne's father). Is it my imagination or does the Aesthetic Bridegroom look a bit like Wilde?

Oscar himself definitely did make a remark about wondering if he could "live up to his blue china" which was apparently rather fine for his lodgings, when he was a young bachelor.

#2097030 - 06/06/13 02:08 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And then poor Oscar had the awful wallpaper that he was forced to live down to in the end....

I'm told that Kathleen has been trying to post but unable, so I hope we can remedy that and get her back among us.

Elene

#2097197 - 06/06/13 05:42 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano

Yes, I was but I got it a bit wrong, though I swear someone in one of Wilde's plays uttered that line, or perhaps it was just a movie adaption which took some liberties.

Here is the origin of the expression, a cartoon by George DuMaurier (Daphne's father). Is it my imagination or does the Aesthetic Bridegroom look a bit like Wilde?

Oscar himself definitely did make a remark about wondering if he could "live up to his blue china" which was apparently rather fine for his lodgings, when he was a young bachelor.

Ah the blue willow ware china- that was fine china indeed! I do have a thing for teapots, which given that I hate tea and only drink coffee is rather odd....

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2104554 - 06/18/13 05:58 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is heartening, though perhaps a tiny bit disturbing as well:

Yundi and China's Piano Fever

Those 40 million Chinese kids who are learning to play the piano are hearing Chopin quite a bit, no doubt. And I do like Yundi very much as a player of Chopin. (He handles Liszt quite convincingly as well. Of course he does other things, but I've heard him play those two the most.)

I'm again chewing over the meaning of Chopin's impossible tempo indication of ♪=100 for 10/3, which was his own and not an addition by an inattentive editor. Ekier and the National Edition team made a stab at explaining some of the odd tempi by positing that we don't know if the metronome marking might apply to the beginning of the piece, the overall average tempo, or what. That's a useful point, but it doesn't really explain this ♪=100, which is completely outside any reasonable range of speed for the piece (except perhaps for the agitated section of tritones on the 3rd page, but that is not marked as going much faster than the rest).

It's so far outside reason that my teacher was wondering if perhaps there might have been something wrong with Chopin's metronome! I doubt that's the explanation either. He would surely have noticed!

Chopin was so typically careful about what he wrote that we can't just imagine that he made a mistake, either-- and he would have had to fail to correct the error on repeated proofs and editions.

I just can't come up with any explanation. It's almost as if Chopin had slipped into some alternate timestream for a little while. But then his metronome would have been running at the same relative rate, wouldn't it....

My teacher was doing what I've always done with this question, putting it aside as unsolvable, and started to feel that I was getting a bit unbalanced today in refusing to let it go. But somehow, surely, there must be a way to make sense of it.

Elene

#2105194 - 06/20/13 03:13 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Chopin speaks several times here. smile The YouTube video recently posted by Frycek must have been taken from there too. smile

Music is my best friend.

#2107597 - 06/25/13 01:47 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Regarding the tempo of 10/3, Angela Lear told me that Chopin didn't add metronome markings to the etudes, that they were added later by editors, and sent me this to prove her point:

[img:center] [/img]

The National Edition editors, as I think I mentioned, stated that Chopin did write the metronome markings himself, and as far as I can remember, that's what I had been told in the past.

So I'm all the more confused, but at least I don't have to try to figure out why Chopin would have written that ♪=100 anymore.

Note the "Vivace ma non troppo" that Chopin later changed to "Lento ma non troppo."

Elene

#2107672 - 06/25/13 08:03 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Regarding the tempo of 10/3, Angela Lear told me that Chopin didn't add metronome markings to the etudes, that they were added later by editors, and sent me this to prove her point:

[img:center] [/img]

The National Edition editors, as I think I mentioned, stated that Chopin did write the metronome markings himself, and as far as I can remember, that's what I had been told in the past.

So I'm all the more confused, but at least I don't have to try to figure out why Chopin would have written that ♪=100 anymore.

Note the "Vivace ma non troppo" that Chopin later changed to "Lento ma non troppo."

Elene

Dear Elene,

Chopin was definitely responsible for the metronome marks in op. 10. In some instances, he added them when correcting the printed proofs.

Jeff Kallberg

#2107777 - 06/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jeff, I was hoping you'd weigh in. That's what I thought you said in the past.

Sigh. Still no idea what Our Friend may have meant, then.

Elene

#2108081 - 06/25/13 07:58 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Jeff, I was hoping you'd weigh in. That's what I thought you said in the past.

Sigh. Still no idea what Our Friend may have meant, then.

Elene

I tend to believe he really meant it - though I've never heard any professional pianist play it at the metronome mark that he wrote. It becomes a different piece, but one that still moves me.

A similar case is the Db Nocturne, op. 27 no. 2, which I'd also love to hear played up to the tempo Chopin notated.

Jeff Kallberg

#2108376 - 06/26/13 12:51 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: johnnysd]
johnnysd Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
So I have been working on the Cantabile for about a month now, amongst a bunch of other pieces and I am getting closer (it sounds musical at points) but still a ways away from being able to perform it. Seems so much more difficult than the other pieces which are in the ABSRM 1 and 2 range. I realize it is a simple piece, but I am a beginner and have learned quite a bit from it, and it's so nice to play. How long is a reasonable time to learn a piece that is clearly a bit of a stretch?

#2109228 - 06/27/13 06:28 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm impressed that you're playing this piece at all as a beginner, johnnysd. I don't know how to answer the question of a "reasonable time" to learn it. Most people would need a number of months, if not a year or two, to get to a level of skill where this piece would be normal repertoire for them (it is easy as Chopin goes but that doesn't mean it's easy). But if you are concentrating persistently on it and putting in a lot of time and effort things may be very different. I've been amazed at what some people around here have been able to learn as beginners.

Speaking of reasonable or unreasonable times: I tried playing the first section of 10/3 at ♪=100. About halfway down the page, my mother emerged from her room with a "WTF?" expression on her face. I explained what I was doing and why. "I. Don't. Like. It." she said, very firmly. Like, Do NOT do this. Ever. She's never reacted to my practicing remotely like that before, and the poor lady is subjected to listening to me day in and day out.

I have to agree with her.

Elene

#2109867 - 06/28/13 06:49 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

I'm impressed that you're playing this piece at all as a beginner, johnnysd. I don't know how to answer the question of a "reasonable time" to learn it. Most people would need a number of months, if not a year or two, to get to a level of skill where this piece would be normal repertoire for them (it is easy as Chopin goes but that doesn't mean it's easy). But if you are concentrating persistently on it and putting in a lot of time and effort things may be very different. I've been amazed at what some people around here have been able to learn as beginners.

Speaking of reasonable or unreasonable times: I tried playing the first section of 10/3 at ♪=100. About halfway down the page, my mother emerged from her room with a "WTF?" expression on her face. I explained what I was doing and why. "I. Don't. Like. It." she said, very firmly. Like, Do NOT do this. Ever. She's never reacted to my practicing remotely like that before, and the poor lady is subjected to listening to me day in and day out.

I have to agree with her.

Elene

Dear Elene,

Mother knows best!

Still, if she happens to be out of earshot some day, you might give it another chance. At en = 100, the "ma non troppo" emerges rather better. And we also get a sense that Chopin intended something more brisk by the vacillation around "Vivace" and "Lento" (the latter implying something faster in the 1830s than it does now). Finally, the faster tempo gives the student a bit more of a challenge (so it might make sense in the context of an "Etude").

For real fun, have a go at it with the tempo marking on the English first edition, where Wessel left the flag off the eighth note, rendering the tempo qn = 100. No wonder the English had trouble making sense of Chopin.

Jeff Kallberg

#2109999 - 06/29/13 12:17 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jeff, it's just as well that that wouldn't be physically possible for me!

Elene

#2111673 - 07/02/13 03:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My teacher informed me that Ignaz Friedman's edition of Op. 10 (probably of a lot else as well) is available at IMSLP here.

There are some interesting thoughts on pedaling, not necessarily what one might expect.

Elene

#2112434 - 07/03/13 08:51 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Re Op.10-3, this is what the Paderewski edition says:
The M1 indicates the tempo as vivace, the M2 as vivace ma non troppo. Obviously later on Chopin prescribed once again a slowing down of the movement, for in the F.E. and G.E. there is the indication lento ma non troppo. The metronome indication is given in the G.E. as half note = 100 and in the F.E. and Mikuli's edition as an eighth note = 100, which is still too quick. In the M1 and M2 no metronome speed is given.

M1: Chopin's autograph copy belonging to Cortot
M2: Manuscript preserved in the Polish National Museum in Warsaw
F.E.: Original French edition
G.E.: Original German edition

Music is my best friend.

#2112553 - 07/04/13 01:59 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

HALF NOTE=100????

Elene

#2112570 - 07/04/13 02:42 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I wondered too... Maybe it was a misprint in the G.E.? It must be... It sounds absurd. I just checked Chopin's First Editions Online and the G.E. is not available (it is greyed out). The English Edition is available and has a quarter note = 100. Three different versions for the French, the German and the English first editions?

Music is my best friend.

#2112586 - 07/04/13 03:32 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
johnny, I am a beginner too. I've been learning Nocturne Op9 No1 which I initially thought was well out of my reach. It certainly took some time behind the keys to get comfortable with the first section (what I've learnt so far). Maybe in a couple of years I would have been able to learn the same section far quicker, so some people here say that beginners should not attempt difficult pieces for that reason of using their time more wisely.

If I enjoy playing it, then I play it. I don't mind how long it takes. I found I have to start spending time on other new songs to keep my interest going though, as I don't think I'll be able to dedicate all my time to this one Nocturne till it's finished. I would get bored and frustrated, I think it's working well for me to keep things fresh. By the end of the year I hope to have learnt the rest of the Nocturne but I haven't put a deadline on it.

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

Page 270 of 275 < 1 2 ... 268 269 270 271 272 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (BarryDMD, bennevis, ando, aesop, Al LaPorte, 21 invisible), 1208 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295919 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission