2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2113011 07/04/13 09:52 PM
OP Offline
I would be very interested to here everyone's opinion on Maria Pires, her pianism and master classes. I admire the 2 master classes I've seen on YouTube and I wondered if any of you had seen her perform or teach. I am looking into her 2 week piano program through the Academy Royamount in Paris. Would be VERY interested in some opinions on this great artist.

Edit: I forgot to add that I realize there has been quite a bit of controversy concerning her methods of teaching especially in the masterclass setting. That is precisely why I'd value your opinions. Thank you. smile

Currently working on:
Prelude and Fugue in A Major WTC Bk.1-Bach
Sonata Op.109 in E Major- Beethoven
Spanish Rhapsody-Liszt
Arc en Ciel Etude- Ligeti
Piano Concerto No. 2-Rachmaninov
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
She is a very good pianist and I like her playing a lot! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What OSK said smile

N
N
Hello,
She's one of the bests for me. Her Mozart sonatas - her Mozart in general, in fact - are unrivalled, maybe only equalled by Zimerman. Her Beethoven playing is also great. In fact, I like everything she does.
I don't know about the masterclasses. I'll watch some of them on youtube if available.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I absolutely love her Mozart, too. I am working on the a minor sonata and her version is at the ready on my Spotify! Well, hers along with Richard Goode.

The sonata is really probably a step above what I should be working on so quickly after returning to piano, so it's taking me longer than I would normally tolerate for skill acquisition on a piece, but I can always just retreat into her version of it and get some inspiration back to keep working on it!

I just like the way she modulates the tension in the piece along with the playful parts.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've not ever been pulled one way or the other with her. She must be doing something well to have so gleaned so much admiration from so many corners. That said, had I the opportunity to attend this two week program you're asking about I would go in a heartbeat... controversial teaching methods or not... there is always something to be learned (if you're a wise person you already know this) and how often will you/have you had the chance to hang out in Paris for a couple of weeks (it is in Paris, yes?)

Last edited by stores; 07/05/13 07:21 AM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The most impressive playing I've heard from her was from her 2010 BBC Proms late-night concert where she played almost all the Chopin Nocturnes (and nothing but Chopin Nocturnes) - you can hear that concert in full via www.bbc.co.uk/radio3, scroll to Through the Night on 4/7/2013 (which is 7/4/2013 in USA - you guys like to do things differently from the rest of us...). The eighty-minute concert is the first item in the program.

I like her Mozart concertos, but her Schubert piano music and Chopin concertos are, for me, somewhat lacking in real personality and requisite 'fire in the belly', as well as deep introspection.

If music be the food of love, play on!
F
F
I've been to 3 recitals of her. The best performance in my opinion was Schubert's Fantasie in F minor, Op.103, D.940. She played this duet with Ricardo Castro. Also on stage she's very relaxed with the audience. A chair and a table next to the piano. A chat with the audience. She's wonderful!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission