2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Budpals, I think you may get a patriotic tingle from the in-depth master class on America's GREATEST composer, Charles Ives. This class features his lesser-known piano music..

Happy 4th)

Today is a GREAT day to spend time with America's GREATEST composer, CHARLES IVES!!

http://youtu.be/otGAvFUYDMk

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Speaking of Charles Ives, many, many, er, many decades ago I was required to watch a film in junior high school. I vaguely remember it was very busy and about industry and the advance of civilization. I clearly remember being completely taken with the music so I took note of the fact that it was by Charles Ives. Does anyone know what it might have been? I seem to remember it was orchestral and it suited the film.

Best regards,

Deborah
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I always thought it was fitting that America's GREATEST composer made his fortune in the insurance business, and therefore did not need to make his living from composing.

This is my favorite Ives performance: http://youtu.be/10pqluMwgXQ

I'm never quite sure whether the great man is sending himself up.... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by bennevis
I always thought it was fitting that America's GREATEST composer made his fortune in the insurance business, and therefore did not need to make his living from composing.

This is my favorite Ives performance: http://youtu.be/10pqluMwgXQ

I'm never quite sure whether the great man is sending himself up.... grin

And here's what the song sounds like when performed by someone other than the great man...... ha

http://youtu.be/indMNESW6Y0

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

Yes, and (perhaps) America's second GREATEST composer was driven out of the country and lived in Mexico most of his adult life....

-J

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Perhaps... perhaps.

But we will always have George Gershwin. Not proper enough for the classical crowd, not hip enough enough for the jazz crowd, but more talented than any of them.

One of a kind. An absolute treasure. My hat is off to you, sir.

Jason
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by gooddog
Speaking of Charles Ives, many, many, er, many decades ago I was required to watch a film in junior high school. I vaguely remember it was very busy and about industry and the advance of civilization. I clearly remember being completely taken with the music so I took note of the fact that it was by Charles Ives. Does anyone know what it might have been? I seem to remember it was orchestral and it suited the film.

I don't know when that was exactly, of course, but just guessing, I think it was at a time when there were relatively few recordings of Ives orchestral music (not that there is a great deal even now). Based on that idea, here is a little listening project that might work to help you find that piece: if you listened to his four numbered symphonies plus the "Holidays" symphony, and also the "Three Places in New England", the chances are pretty high that you'd come across the music for that film. If those aren't it, then try "Central Park in the Dark", "The Unanswered Question", and "Calcium Light Night". I imagine all of this is can be found on YouTube. Even if, in the end, you still couldn't identify the piece, you would have heard a lot of interesting music.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Dfrank

Today is a GREAT day to spend time with America's GREATEST composer, CHARLES IVES!!

Sorry, but America doesn't have a GREATEST composer. Which is as it should be...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

...here is a little listening project that might work to help you find that piece
Excellent. I will do just that. Thank you.

Best regards,

Deborah
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I just heard Marc-Andre Hamelin perform Ives' Piano Sonata #2 Concord, Mass in Wigmore Hall about a week ago. It was incredible. Loved the thunderous Hawthorne and magical yet tendor ending with a hint of wilderness. I just don't have enough words to describe. It was my first time listening to Ives and first time hearing Hamelin perform. I consider myself quite lucky.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I just heard Marc-Andre Hamelin perform Ives' Piano Sonata #2 Concord, Mass in Wigmore Hall about a week ago. It was incredible. Loved the thunderous Hawthorne and magical yet tendor ending with a hint of wilderness. I just don't have enough words to describe. It was my first time listening to Ives and first time hearing Hamelin perform. I consider myself quite lucky.

You should consider getting Jeremy Denk's recording, too, if you listen to recordings.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission