2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
What do you think?

I am a beginner piano learner who very accidentally came across Bartok's Mikrokosmos book levels 1-6 and purchased them all. They seem to be very well laid out and in my opinion beat any method books I have ever tried. I like the simplicity of the approach and quite like the composition.

Why aren't they more popular?

Also would serious pianists use those as a stand alone method book a repertoire practice?

Warm Regards,

Peace and love and play smile
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
They are fun to play.

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mikrokosmos is my only piano method, currently I am working on the third volumen and am pretty pleased with it. I feel my playing improves a bit after learning every piece.

Y
Y
When I started playing I worked through volume 1.
I liked the progress I made, I think the book is didactical great.
But yet even if the pieces are brillant music, I don't get in love with them. Don't know why.
Maybe the hungarian touch is to weird to my ears.
Music is a matter of taste, and these pieces do not meet my taste.

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I love those type of tunes. I've worked my way into the early parts of the third book plus played a smattering of stuff from the others. Bartok is one of the few 20th-century "classical" composers I dig.

Back before making the switch to piano I recorded some of his violin duos by playing both parts on my mandolin, overdubbed. Some of those are more "out there" than the Mikrokosmos, at least in the early book.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Why they aren't more popular is beyond me. For a beginning pianist they are first rate. For more advanced students they make an excellent course in sight reading.

The material is progressive and if you like one of the exercises it would make satisfying repertory material. The music appeals to young and old.

I personally would use no method as a stand alone course. My lad is using this along with John Thompson's, Beyer 101, Burgmuller Op. 100, Guhl's Keyboard Proficiency, Beatles music arranged by yours truly and some easier classics also hand picked by myself. He ditched Alfred's quite quickly as musically unsatisfying.

Richard
I am using it strictly for sight reading practice and warm up. I knew nothing of this series until I read a sight reading book that recommended it.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I use vol 1 for sight reading practice. Ideal for beginners like me.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
R
Can you post examples of the type of pieces they contain? Thanks.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
zrtf90,, I have read your post, here:

Why they aren't more popular is beyond me. For a beginning pianist they are first rate. For more advanced students they make an excellent course in sight reading.

The material is progressive and if you like one of the exercises it would make satisfying repertory material. The music appeals to young and old.

I personally would use no method as a stand alone course. My lad is using this along with John Thompson's, Beyer 101, Burgmuller Op. 100, Guhl's Keyboard Proficiency, Beatles music arranged by yours truly and some easier classics also hand picked by myself. He ditched Alfred's quite quickly as musically unsatisfying.

Thanks, for the great post, Richard.

I am a beginner without a teacher so I am always looking for good things to play to help me grow.

I love Thompson. Just finished book 1 and excited about book 2.

I will check out Bartok's Mikrokosmos the next time I am at the music store.

I will also check out
Beyer 101,
Burgmuller Op. 100,
Guhl's Keyboard Proficiency.

I know that Alfred's is famous but the old Thompson books do it for me.

Last edited by Michael_99; 07/02/13 11:54 PM.
V
V
raikkU, there are youtube videos with the pieces:
Béla Bartók - Mikrokosmos, Volume I, 1-17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbEkw7WUhEg
and other similar videos.

BTW, IMSLP has a scan of Mikrokosmos
http://imslp.org/wiki/Mikrokosmos,_Sz.107_(Bart%C3%B3k,_B%C3%A9la)
It is from a Russian book it seems. But of course it does not affect the notes smile

These are definitely nice pieces for beginners. However somehow I did not like the music and played none of them.

Kawai Novus NV10, Kawai CA-93
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for putting up the samples. I think it is a great resource and more people should give it a try. There is also a professional/ commercial CD of the pieces by Jeno Jando on Amazon. Please cheek those out.

Regards,

Peace and love and play smile
F
F
I have this on sheet, started going through it but then found Bach Inventions. I don't know if they can be compared, I have no idea, but with my limited time I decided I'll prioritise Bach (prefer to have that in my repertoire)...and hope to start going through that towards the end of this year.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
I wasn't aware that either was intended to be memorized and re-played later. Mikrokosmos excels at sight reading practice, since it has odd and unexpected melodies.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
K
K
I had my first look at Mikrokosmos a few weeks ago. There was a post a while back with recommended selections from it and I picked one of them, #82 in Book 3. I like it! I'm using the Bach Inventions for my technical practice though, so I'll probably use Mikrokosmos for fun and interest, just playing through them rather than practising them up to tempo. The Mikrokosmos tunes I will be listening to are from "Zoltán Kocsis plays Bartók"

The Inventions seem to be good for hand independence, practising counterpoint, and getting the fingers going, whereas Mikrokosmos is good for odd time signatures, rhythms, and intervals. They sound more mechanical whereas the Inventions are more flowing. They are probably quite complementary.

I've heard a quite a few people say the Inventions are great for your piano playing. I haven't heard so many say that for Mikrokosmos.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I have had more than one teacher look at Mikrocosmos with a particular fondness. Including my present teacher.
I am at a point that exercises are not yet for me. This is my teachers decision. The only thing I'm doing is the Hannon on pg78 of Alfred. She looks at me very determined as tells me nothing else.
I know from exercise physiology that there is something to what she is doing with me. Very important to develop physiologically in the right steps. From simple to sophisticated. Don't try sophisticated until you got the simple taken care of. Physiologically this can lead to failure.
In other words: I highly suggest a good teacher with exercises. They know the right time, place, and amount.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My second son uses Mikrokosmos, he is at the beginning of the second book. His teacher loves this method, she says that every exercise has a meaning and is useful.
I love the sound of the pieces, all of them. I bought also Books 3 and 4 when they were offered on Amazon at a low price.
Last year I read all book 1 and this year I tried book 2 (but not as sight reading exercise); the more advanced pieces are difficult but fascinating if you love Bartok.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I'm fairly certain that Mikrokosmos was never intended as a sight-reading practice material. Although obviously one can practice sight-reading on any sheet music they've never seen or heard before.

The books, taken together as a "method", seem to have a very good mixture of technical/facility improvement content and introduction to unusual modes and rhythms. Compared to something like the Bach Inventions the variety in Mikrokosmos is hugely greater, although the intensity of hand independence and pure technique workout in the Bach is much more.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
IIRC, Mikrokosmos originated as a piano method Bartok created for his son. It was revised and refined as time passed and the son grew up, but I'm pretty sure that was its original intent.

I first heard of it being suggested for sight reading practice in this ebook, which used to be free, so many of us downloaded and read it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the idea hadn't originated elsewhere as well.

There's a certain logic in using Mikrokosmos for sight reading practice if you want to cultivate your responses to the unexpected, so as to make sure you're reading what is written instead of following your expectations.

OTOH, a big part of sight reading is learning what to expect, so that you can read by chord and pattern instead of note by note, and Mikrokosmos would be less helpful with that.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 07/05/13 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
For more info, here's an interesting article about Mikrokosmos on AllMusic.com

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission