Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (angga888, accordeur, ando, Auver, AZ_Astro, 39 invisible), 1440 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2113285 - 07/05/13 02:29 PM Baroque Music
collinsinclair Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Hello,
I was invited to play at a "classical breakfast" that my local piano dealer is hosting in a couple of weeks. It's a simple menu that includes eggs, chile, and other "classical" foods that you can order and eat and converse while a student plays on a very nice Yamaha 7 foot grand. The style for this particular breakfast is baroque music, and I need some ideas on what I could play. I'm 13 and I've been playing for about a year. Some pieces that I'm working on right now are Avalanche by Heller, Prelude in G Major BWV 884 by Bach, Anna Magdelana's notebook by Bach. Does anyone have any suggestions for some nice baroque pieces that I could learn soon? I'm on summer break and I practice a ton, so time isn't really an object for me. I need to perform for at least 30 minutes to qualify. Thanks!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2113296 - 07/05/13 03:20 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
The shorter and easier Scarlatti Sonatas:
K32, K34, K40
There are others, but cannot remember the K numbers now.
Scarlatti is always entertaining and if you do the repeats, that helps filling the time smile

Purcell's suites have some easy short movements that sound nice and don't have too many ornaments. For example the prelude from
Z660, minuet Z649, march Z647, minuet Z50.

The Rameau Menuet en Rondeau and Händel Sarabande are easy and familiar to many people and people usually like to hear pieces they recognice.

#2113300 - 07/05/13 03:27 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I think it's highly impractical/difficult to learn 30 minutes of music on short notice. For a student of only one year there is not a vast selection of pieces way below one's level that one could choose and learn quickly(not that that would be a good pedagogical choice). In addition, how many lessons could you have with your teacher in just a few weeks in order to get his input?

I would ask if you can play for a much shorter amount of time(what could possibly be there reason that one has to play for 30 minutes?). Then spend most of your time practicing any Baroque pieces already in your repertoire. Maybe learn one short work of a couple minutes length that's new.

It's utterly unrealistc to expect/ask a student with one year's experience to play for 30 minutes even given much more than a few weeks time to prepare.

Edited by pianoloverus (07/05/13 03:35 PM)

#2113303 - 07/05/13 03:30 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Some of the dances from Bach's Partita No.1 in B flat, BWV 825 aren't difficult - have a look at them. I presume you've played the Aria from the Goldberg Variations, which is also in the Anna Magdalena Notebook.

Then there's Bach's Prelude & Fugue No.1 in C from the WTC, BWV 846: everybody likes that Prelude, but very few know the fugue...

Scarlatti sonatas must be high on your list: there's the lovely 'Pastorale' in D minor, Kk9, the pensive B minor, Kk87, the guitar-like E major, Kk380, another popular E major, Kk531....that's probably more than enough to fill 1/2 hour (especially if you do all repeats wink ).

#2113306 - 07/05/13 03:39 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: bennevis]

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Some of the dances from Bach's Partita No.1 in B flat, BWV 825 aren't difficult - have a look at them. I presume you've played the Aria from the Goldberg Variations, which is also in the Anna Magdalena Notebook.

Then there's Bach's Prelude & Fugue No.1 in C from the WTC, BWV 846: everybody likes that Prelude, but very few know the fugue...

Scarlatti sonatas must be high on your list: there's the lovely 'Pastorale' in D minor, Kk9, the pensive B minor, Kk87, the guitar-like E major, Kk380, another popular E major, Kk531....that's probably more than enough to fill 1/2 hour (especially if you do all repeats wink ).
I think almost all of those seem far too difficult given the OP's present repertory level, length of study, and time to prepare.

Edited by pianoloverus (07/05/13 03:43 PM)

#2113308 - 07/05/13 03:46 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: bennevis

I think almost all of those seem far too difficult given the OP's present repertory level, length of study, and time to prepare.

+1

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2113311 - 07/05/13 03:50 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Do you know a flutist, or some other instrumentalist, who might want to play with you? Perhaps someone with a bit more experience than you have. Then you could take the keyboard part normally played on harpsichord. Some of those continuo parts might be manageable, especially in largo movements which would be great background at a breakfast.

BTW, I don't think Telemann or Boismortier would regard Chile as "classic" breakfast food ... smile
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2113312 - 07/05/13 03:54 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: pianoloverus]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's utterly unrealistc to expect/ask a student with one year's experience to play for 30 minutes even given much more than a few weeks time to prepare.

Seems quite heavy to me too. Maybe possible if one is a really good sight-reader and not really trying to play everything up to fast tempo from memory. Do all the repeats and taking a bit longer between pieces...

But still, most short easy pieces barely last a minute or two, so that's quite a lot of pieces...

#2113316 - 07/05/13 04:05 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: outo]

Originally Posted By: outo

Seems quite heavy to me too. Maybe possible if one is a really good sight-reader and not really trying to play everything up to fast tempo from memory.
The OP, even if an excellent sight reader for his time of study, doesn't have the luxury of being able to choose pieces way below his level to sight read during a performance. So I don't think there are any appropriate pieces for him to sight read at a performance.

The dealer revealed his lack of understanding about what even a highly talented student with one year's study can do by asking for 30 minutes of music, but I can't imagine there's any good reason why the dealer can't allow a performance lasting a much shorter amount of time.

#2113331 - 07/05/13 04:49 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
collinsinclair Offline

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who thinks 30 minutes a a lot of music to prepare in just 3 weeks, but then again, that why i came here! to my people! The Scarlatti Sonantas look very doable, and with the repeats, they should be able to fill my time up. I do sight read, and I'm allowed to use music and the event, so I think I'll be alright. Thanks again!

#2113332 - 07/05/13 04:51 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Collin,

What kind of a concert is this? If you are the "featured artist", then people will expect you to play a full 30-minute solo program while they sit and listen, and watch you. You'll be the focus of attention.

If you are just "background music", something people will listen to while they eat their breakfast and chat quietly, then you don't have to play a full 30 minutes. You can put together a program of 15 minutes, and then repeat it. Most musicians who play parties, for example, do something like this.

15 minutes at this level is about 5 or 6, slow- to medium-tempo pieces if they're about 2 pages with no repeats.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2113343 - 07/05/13 05:07 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: laguna_greg]
collinsinclair Offline

No, I'm not the featured artist. From my knowledge, there are going to be many performers and we are simply playing in the background or this "party". Thank you very much for your repeat suggestion, re there any pieces you could suggest off the top of your head? I don't have a very good repertoire right now, but I'm work on it! Thank you!

#2113369 - 07/05/13 06:01 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
There are other composers of the Spanish baroque school who wrote music similar to Scarlatti, but easier to play. Matteo Albeniz' Sonata is one of them. You could also look through the works of Rameau and the Couperins for music which you could handle. Speaking of Handel...

Also, there are the sons of Bach, who wrote some interesting music.

#2113402 - 07/05/13 07:25 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
You can always repeat your selections. Since people will be eating and talking, it won't matter if you repeat some of your pieces because they won't be listening attentively the entire time.

#2113454 - 07/05/13 09:54 PM Re: Baroque Music [Re: laguna_greg]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
Hi Collin,

What kind of a concert is this? If you are the "featured artist", then people will expect you to play a full 30-minute solo program while they sit and listen, and watch you. You'll be the focus of attention.

If you are just "background music", something people will listen to while they eat their breakfast and chat quietly, then you don't have to play a full 30 minutes. You can put together a program of 15 minutes, and then repeat it. Most musicians who play parties, for example, do something like this.

My thoughts exactly!

Prelude In C from WTC (as someone suggested) is nice and easy. You could play it through twice, that should take about 4 minutes, now you'd just need another 11 mins.

Good luck!

#2113675 - 07/06/13 10:23 AM Re: Baroque Music [Re: pianoloverus]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: outo

Seems quite heavy to me too. Maybe possible if one is a really good sight-reader and not really trying to play everything up to fast tempo from memory.

The OP, even if an excellent sight reader for his time of study, doesn't have the luxury of being able to choose pieces way below his level to sight read during a performance. So I don't think there are any appropriate pieces for him to sight read at a performance.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that he would actually play them cold (really sight read), but if he can follow a score reasonably well while playing, he doesn't have to memorize all the pieces, so practice time is reduced.

I personally couldn't play with a score, because (partly due to my sight issues) I cannot read well enough to securely play anything that is not completely memorized.

Also in Baroque you don't have to play everything quite as fast as people usually do. No metronome markings by the composer smile

#2113697 - 07/06/13 11:14 AM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Don't forget the Handel Largo from Xerxes. It's an easy read, it's pretty and popular.

#2113701 - 07/06/13 11:25 AM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

You could also look at Handel's Air from Water Music. It's repetitive and very playable.

#2113712 - 07/06/13 11:56 AM Re: Baroque Music [Re: collinsinclair]
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Henry Purcell also wrote some easy minuets and airs. As everyone else has been saying, you can take lots of repeats and vary the dynamic level/articulation on each repetition to make it last longer and not seem too repetitive.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lifetime Piano Tunings with New Piano Purchase?
by MusicMasters
46 minutes 25 seconds ago
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
Today at 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
Today at 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
Today at 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
Today at 01:41 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159961 Topics
2349184 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission