Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2113709 - 07/06/13 11:39 AM Hanon
Sweet06 Offline

so my teacher assigned me some hannon, i noticed i was stalling on the 1 hits because it its just interval increments except the 1 > 2 finger is a 3rd (where the hand actual moves position). got that fixed up by just doing it instead of spending time in my head concerning "whats next".

i spent some time on it and i can increase the speed considerably from where i was (could barely do it lol) to what i'd guess is about 70 bpm. im having a hard time including a metronome in these exercises however. it goes so fast i can barely keep track. so my strategy was to get it down cold THEN include the metronome to speed test myself as these are just exercises so i didn't think it was as important as using it on the actual piece work (i use it religiously on those i actually prefer it.

my question: am i doing myself a disservice by not including the metronome on this???

also, once i learned the pattern, i pretty much stopped looking at the sheet music and ledger lines really do give me the hardest time as far as reading goes... should i slow down and follow along with the notes or are those two different practice regimens? example: slow down and pay attention to the sheet when im trying to do a sight reading/ note reading exercise and then go as fast as i can to a metronome?

Edited by Sweet06 (07/06/13 06:04 PM)

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2113724 - 07/06/13 12:23 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
I think it probably depends on your teacher. I would ask him or her. My teacher prefers that I just learn the pattern and play it mostly from memeory. He also does not have me just do the exercises the way they are written except for the first time. He has me transpose them, play them with different rhythms and use different articulations. He also does not advocate playing them the way it is written, using just the fingers. When we first started them, we spt a lot of time with me trying to learn how to use my wrists and arms, not just my fingers. The hardest one was to play one hand as written and swing the other hand. It took me 5 weeks to be able to do that. As far as the metronome, my teacher always wants it on for things liked Hannon, Czerny, and scales.

#2113774 - 07/06/13 02:04 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Sweet06, I find that when starting something new with metronome, that I need to slow it down first. Too fast leads to unevenness in my playing. Sometimes I also set the metronome for the half beat, I find it helps until I get more control.

#2113776 - 07/06/13 02:09 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
FYI, it's Hanon.

Kawai K3

#2113782 - 07/06/13 02:24 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Definitely listen to your teacher in terms of playing Hanon. Generally these exercises are used for very specific purposes. My teacher never even mentioned they were from a book. Just taught me the pattern and I started practicing. For me they are mainly to improve finger independence and uniformity. My teacher has never been interested in me playing them at the intended tempo or with a metronome. It has been all about finger motion, hand shape and pure distinct tones. Sometime I think we adults over think what and why we are being told to doing something.

#2113833 - 07/06/13 03:50 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Andy Platt]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
Technical exercises such as this are usually intended to be learned by rote.

#2113877 - 07/06/13 06:03 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Daniel Corban]
Sweet06 Offline

im sorry daniel im not familiar with "rote". apologies for the misspelling. just from doing them i was kind of getting the impression that... this is clearly not music, its meant to help with certain skills. im not good enough to know EXACTLY what those skills are, but im pretty good when theirs actual music involved to hit the right beats and be on track as far as rhythm goes (5 years violin really helped with that). so i took it upon myself to turn the metronome off and focus on technique and then up the speed as fast as i could while keeping technique and accuracy good. I did have a peice that finally took me from the middle c position and the c5 position and had me go up and down an octave and mastering the hanon exercise first REALLY helped with that as i WAS struggling with that piece until then. I'll tell all this to my teacher monday and see what he says smile

*edited the topic title to the correct spelling

Edited by Sweet06 (07/06/13 06:04 PM)

#2113890 - 07/06/13 06:29 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sweet06
i was kind of getting the impression that... this is clearly not music, its meant to help with certain skills.

Hanon is not exactly "music", (except for perhaps #60), but it does contain elements that do occur in music.

For example, #1 is part of a scale, so if you play it smoothly and carefully, those qualities will translate into your playing of scales, and into repertoire that includes scales or sections of scales. Also, you will develop the ability to play that up and down the keyboard.

(Yes, I know scales will do the same, but many beginners have enough difficulty with scale fingering that Hanon #1 builds essentially the same skills without the fingering hassle, which can take one's attention away from playing in a relaxed manner.)

Another example is trills. Hanon has several exercises for trills, which occur throughout music.

Bottom line is, with everything you play at the piano, it is important to play it musically, as if it is music...so when that set of notes occurs in a piece you are learning, you will have practiced it with "the music in it", rather than mechanically, which some do with Hanon.

#2113912 - 07/06/13 07:19 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I practice Hanon No 1 daily and have done so for a few months, recently I have added 9, 11, & 20. I may do more in the future but for now this has been enough to make a difference to my finger dexterity and particularly in helping my 4th & 5th fingers. My teacher does not teach this exercise method but is more than happy to see me doing any technical exercises.

Starting off with no 1 was really hard, the others came a little easier but take perseverance. I don't use a metronome and I don't try to follow the sheet music as this is an exercise only. I don't use a metronome at other times but for these exercises I don't want my competitive nature to be influenced by having a race. If I find myself going too fast I will pull back a little and remind myself to lift the finger higher in order to get the benefit.

This is a useful site

http://www.hanon-online.com/the-virtuoso-pianist/part-i/

#2113932 - 07/06/13 08:17 PM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

@ earlofmar i find myself going a little to quickly as well, for the same reasons... like i have something to prove haha. glad to see like minds!

#2114020 - 07/07/13 12:06 AM Re: Hannon [Re: Sweet06]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Agree that there are many reasons to assign Hanon exercises, so be sure to check with your teacher. Personally I like them not only for speed and accuracy, but to also work feel and legato using a very slow speed. I think it's ok to practice each pattern a few times without a metronome until you get the feel of it. But ultimately, to make sure you are staying steady, adding the metronome is essential.

A little trick if you are having trouble syncing to the metronome. Double the time to 2 clicks per beat. Some metronomes will let you switch to an eighth note pattern. This way you're hearing more clicks. Makes it a little easier to stay on track.

By the way, for those of you with a little more experience with rhythm and feel, try going the other way. Set the metronome to the half note and try to play through. Fun little challenge.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1427 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249978 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
04/17/14 08:41 PM
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
04/17/14 07:57 PM
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
04/17/14 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission