Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
118 registered (Auver, Alux, ando, 36251, anamnesis, 29 invisible), 1515 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2113801 - 07/06/13 02:52 PM Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia with a couple hundred piano teaching colleagues for a national conference of the Canadian Federation of Music Teachers' Associations (CFMTA). Today prominent American pedagogue Marvin Blickenstaff delivered a keynote address. He is not known as a teacher of adult pianists, but he is well known as a teacher of piano teachers, and as an author of beginning teaching materials for children.

Three of his maxims:

1. Play for your students, since they need models to imitate.
2. Play duets with your students: this is a great way to foster musicality.
3. Devise ways through which your students can "take the lesson home with them" - either by recording the lesson, or by verbally summarizing the lesson in the last few minutes.

I'm curious about your thoughts or experiences, as adult learners, with each.

Cheers,
Peter

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2113815 - 07/06/13 03:20 PM Re: Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Those sound good to me!

I think it's great when my teacher plays for me! Sometimes he does it to provide a model for me on a trouble spot. "Watch my hand" says he. Usually I see little correspondence between his hand and mine, but I think it is useful to watch him play. I really quite like the scouting out a new piece procedure where he'll play some or most of several pieces to help me choose what I might like.

I do like duets too. Even informal ones like 'you play the bass, I'll play the treble" when I am still working hands separately on a piece. Playing duets with my husband was one of the first hooks to pull me in to piano.

As for number 3, I know I need lots of notes. My teacher writes some, and I write some more. His handwriting can be rather illegible, and if I don't look through what he's written until the next day, I have sometimes forgotten what it says. If I had a video of the lesson, I'd probably be too distracted looking at my hair or a shirt tag sticking up or some other irrelevant detail.

#2113824 - 07/06/13 03:33 PM Re: Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I'm thinking I'm lucky my teacher does all three! wink

She plays pieces of my songs for me every lesson, so I can hear it and see it. I find it really helps me with trouble spots and helps me get that "sound" just right. I find it really helps me with learning how to roll notes into each other and going from 16th notes to quarters etc... If she didn't show me I'd be at this for months lol.When I bring her a new song I want to work on she'll sight read the first few pages. Makes me wanna do that! We also discuss what she personally plays a lot and helps me find inspiration for the next song I choose.

We've been working on a duet for a long time now. I usually end up in hopeless giggles but I love it. Since I want to be able to play with my musician friends, the duets are a way for me to learn how to do that and so much fun! It also requires a completely different set of skills which I'm finding tough. Once we finally get through this one, another one is on the horizon!

My lessons are written down step by step, with detailed instructions and encouragement. The date of that lesson, the date and time of next lesson are included. If I didn't have that I'd be lost completely! I honestly can't imagine any other way. (thought it was normal actually lol) Each lesson can takes two to three pages of notes.

Peter, do you use any of these in your lessons?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2113844 - 07/06/13 04:23 PM Re: Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose]
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
From time to time, I do record my lessons on iPad and this becomes handy at times. I need to do it more regularly. Some of the accomplished music students that I met, record every lesson.

When I am not clear, I do ask my teacher to play so that I watch him in action - his calmness, his fingering.... I rely on listening to the songs in the CD that come with the method book and other recording of the same song on YouTube. It is part of the preparation for analysing the piece. It becomes an internal reference point. How it should sound like.

We tend to play duets sometime. I feel under pressure and I need to relax about it.

#2113922 - 07/06/13 07:37 PM Re: Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I use multiple sources eg youtube and this forums recitals for models to imitate. I don't feel I want to imitate my teacher but what I do appreciate is being able to talk over the process.

I have read that playing duets is important and I feel I am missing out on this.

My lessons are a very quick half hour once a week. I can't say I have ever had too much information in one session that needed additional notes.

#2113992 - 07/06/13 10:24 PM Re: Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Becca, I'll try to answer your queries. In reverse order.

3. No, I don't record lessons, and I have never had a student do so. Verbal summary at the close of a lesson sounds too didactic for my teaching style. I figure an adult student will remember what is worth remembering from a lesson, and pursue his or her own path for a week of home practice. Some of them do jot down a few notes during the course of a lesson.

2. Yes, now and again I do play duets with most of my students, though more often as sight-reading, and only occasionally as works for us to polish or perform.

1. I try not to play much for my adult students, because I don't want to intimidate them. I want them to make their own music, not copy mine. If they ask me to play something for them that they are working on, often I will, but I seldom suggest this. OTH, I usually play through various pieces when we are making a selection of something new to work on.

The moral, I guess, is that different teachers conduct themselves differently. I have no doubt that Marvin Blickenstaff is a more organization-minded teacher than I am.

#2114074 - 07/07/13 05:06 AM Re: Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
1. Play for your students, since they need models to imitate.

I could care less if my teacher could play (I probably wouldn't have said this when I started learning, though); what's important is if and how he can teach me. Renowned jazz pianist Fred Hersch says more or less the same thing here

2. Play duets with your students: this is a great way to foster musicality.

I agree completely; duets are also great for teaching and reinforcing sight-reading. I also believe that musicality is learned through osmosis, especially now more than ever with the internet and youtube.

3. Devise ways through which your students can "take the lesson home with them" - either by recording the lesson, or by verbally summarizing the lesson in the last few minutes.

If a student doesn't take immediate notes following the lesson (ideally a transcript or video could be provided), something like 50% of what was said is shown to be forgotten by the following day - that's like paying for expensive lessons and only receiving half of what was paid for

given Minniemay's high regard for the man, I would enjoy hearing or reading more about him sometime

#2114920 - 07/08/13 10:53 PM Re: Blickenstaff Teaching Maxims - Your Thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Thanks Peter! I was just curious. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77390 Members
42 Forums
160046 Topics
2350299 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission