Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2114208 - 07/07/13 01:08 PM How do Europeans learn piano?
pianolover85 Offline

Just curious...as to how people in Europe learn piano? do they have some sort of a european method? I gather there are no Alfred methods available in europe so they must have their own methods.

I also after a quick browsing of google found out that some europeans actually do not like method books at all. So how do they learn it?

Do they go through Beyer and Czerny op. 599 books?

Thanks smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2114216 - 07/07/13 01:24 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
There's quite a lot of variation in Europe when it comes to musical education, languages and methods smile

We have access to some of the method books that you use in US, but of course many local ones as well.

When I started again a couple of years ago I purchased the Alfred for adults book and from my childhood I had the Michael Aaron method books. But when I started lessons my teacher didn't use method books, instead we started repertoire and easy studies from Lemoine, Burgmüller and many others. Not much Czerny, I don't like it... Bach is pretty popular here, but I don't like him much either, I prefer Scarlatti.

Edited by outo (07/07/13 01:27 PM)

#2114238 - 07/07/13 02:43 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: outo]
King Norre Offline

Loc: Antwerp, Belgium
My teacher uses the Michael Aaron method book.

#2114247 - 07/07/13 03:01 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Dr_Cogitatio Offline

Loc: Sweden
My teacher does not use any method books, he just gives me different pieces to practice (I, personally, do not work through the Czerny an Hanon stuff). He also gives me different kinds of music, like classical and jazz pieces to play. We also do some theory, and he will explain and show me on the piano. smile

So my teacher does not use any kind of method book, and everything I have learned was, and is through pieces! smile

#2114256 - 07/07/13 03:17 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
yester Offline

In my country it's usually not the case to work through one and the same (beginner-) book. Normaly it's a mix from a lot of stuff: Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, Schumanns Album for the young, Bartok ten easy pieces and Mikrokosmos, Tchaikowsys children's album, Chatschartujans children's album, Max Reger children's album etcetera.
Normaly you do that with a teacher.

Those who are self-taught surely try out beginner-books, very popular but also discussed is "Heumann, the classical piano method".
Also popular is "The russion school of piano playing" book one. The edition in my country is more expanded than the english edition.
Margot Feils "play piano" is often mentioned but I don't know it, the same with "Uli Molsen, piano school for adults".
Hanon is controversial, Cramer an Czerny more popular, but they are in little use. It's popular to create your own exercises based on the piece you work on.

Don't know Alfred method till I joined this forum and I was a little surprised how popular it is.
Also I haven't had any knowledge about all the ABRSM and RCM stuff, I was astonished how many people make examinations!
This is not common in my country.

Edited by yester (07/07/13 03:25 PM)

#2114260 - 07/07/13 03:22 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Vester, what country are you referring to? Germany? Hans-Guenter Heumann sells books in Germany by the thousands: he seems to be a one-person cottage industry. He's both a jazz and classical guy by training, who also studied music pedagogy in the US.

Seems like a cool dude.

#2114265 - 07/07/13 03:30 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
yester Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Vester, what country are you referring to? Germany? Hans-Guenter Heumann sells books in Germany by the thousands: he seems to be a one-person cottage industry. He's both a jazz and classical guy by training, who also studied music pedagogy in the US.

Seems like a cool dude.

Oh sorry that I didn't mentioned it, yes, I refer to Germany.
Heumanns stuff is omnipresent but he also have a lot of critic.
The most chink is, that he ease original classical music. A lot of people don't like this procedure.

#2114273 - 07/07/13 03:44 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Vitali.P Offline

Loc: Germany
There are a number of method books rather than one european method. My teacher uses the books by Charles Herve and Jacqueline Pouillard (http://www.henry-lemoine.com/en/catalogue/rechercheFiche.html?cotage=26279
and http://www.henry-lemoine.com/en/catalogue/rechercheFiche.html?cotage=26280) for older students (I started at 39). I know that she uses completely different set of books for children.

I like the book. I think it is very good structured and usually every piece introduces one new skill to learn. And it is all music pieces rather than techical exercises.

It is possible to get US methods books here in Europe. When I started, I also bought Faber's Adult Piano Adventures 1 and 2, but never really worked with them.

Beside the Herve/Pouillard books I try to play pieces, which I like. Actually I usually bring something to my teacher and ask her to help me with a particular piece. Once she asked me if I'd like to play the original L.Mozart Minuet in F, rather then the simplified version from the method book (which I was happy to do).

#2114274 - 07/07/13 03:45 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I'm in the US, but I had never heard of Alfred's (or any of the other modern piano methods) before I discovered the ABF. I've also learned about many more methods via lurking on the Teachers' Forum.

All I knew about when i started out were the methods used during my childhood (40+ years ago): Schaum & John Thompson.

neglected piano blog

#2114278 - 07/07/13 03:53 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
How do Europeans learn piano?

Good'nRight

#2114293 - 07/07/13 04:24 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
pianolover85 Offline

Thanks Everyone...it is very good to have a transcontinental perspective thanks to this forum...How popular is Beyer BTW? I am personally in love with Beyer's course...Vorschule in Klavierspiel opus. 101.

I will check the books you mentioned as well.

#2114305 - 07/07/13 04:51 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
shinegamix Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
alfred is hard to come by at music stores here. but there are alot of international solutions(amazon). for me. i use the lypur method(http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur) my days are full with all sorts of assignments. so i cant go to a school/teacher for lessons

#2114313 - 07/07/13 05:11 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I believe we Europeans are not different to the rest of the world. We do what we like or what we can do about piano learning, and everybody tries to find his own way.

My website

#2114343 - 07/07/13 07:35 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: pianolover85
Just curious...as to how people in Europe learn piano?

Presumably through a similar combination of their brains, eyes, and bodies to us grin

#2114344 - 07/07/13 07:39 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
The main difference is that when driving to lessons they sit on the right...

#2114345 - 07/07/13 07:43 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
note by note..........ok now it's just getting silly

as an ex European living in Australia I am learning the piano upside down.......ok I'll stop now

#2114367 - 07/07/13 09:22 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: earlofmar]
King Norre Offline

Loc: Antwerp, Belgium
Quote:

You must be joking ... I hope help

#2114372 - 07/07/13 09:33 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Over the years, a fair amount of Europeans have learned to play at PianoMagic ... and I've had the pleasure of watching 'em.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2114384 - 07/07/13 10:36 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: Mark...]
shinegamix Offline

thats only in the uk

#2114387 - 07/07/13 10:53 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: Mark...]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark...

As an American who lived in Germany for 5 years courtesy of the US Army, I can tell you two things.

1. You sit on the left, drive on the right.
2. You keep driving because there ARE NO PARKING SPOTS!

#2114472 - 07/08/13 02:41 AM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: pianolover85
Just curious...as to how people in Europe learn piano? do they have some sort of a european method? I gather there are no Alfred methods available in europe so they must have their own methods.

I also after a quick browsing of google found out that some europeans actually do not like method books at all. So how do they learn it?

Do they go through Beyer and Czerny op. 599 books?

Thanks smile

I'm not in Europe. But I became curious where you are. Are you in Asia? I am from Japan and we used Czerny Beyer etc as you mentioned. But I have never seen anyone use Beyer. Czerny and Burgmuller yes. But not Beyer. Isn't it interesting?
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2114475 - 07/08/13 02:52 AM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: Mark...]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy

Only if you are the passenger! The only part of Europe still driving on the "other side" is the UK. smile

Here in Italy the Alfred books are available but don't have a huge profile.
Czerny and Duvernoy are used for exercises - but rather than working through books teachers seem to work through a very very broad selection of pieces - and generally all "classical" (I use the term broadly).

Apart from the actual selection of the music, and the fact that in most countries here the notes are called "do -re- mi" rather than "a- b- c".... I think it is pretty much the same.

Many Italian teachers like - insist on - solfegge.... I balked at that because I refused to take the extra effort needed to shift over to do-re-mi and it was just too confusing as my first teacher didn't speak English. I'll sing the parts with my new teacher but only for the sound, not for note naming.

#2114494 - 07/08/13 03:50 AM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: shinegamix]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: shinegamix
alfred is hard to come by at music stores here. but there are alot of international solutions(amazon). for me. i use the lypur method(http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur) my days are full with all sorts of assignments. so i cant go to a school/teacher for lessons

Broekmans & Van Poppel in Amsterdam translates and sells much of the Alfred method, actually. My local store also carries the books, as well as other popular methods.

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Apart from the actual selection of the music, and the fact that in most countries here the notes are called "do -re- mi" rather than "a- b- c".... I think it is pretty much the same.

"c-d-e", or do you Italians learn the minor keys first? :p

#2114499 - 07/08/13 04:19 AM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
According to what I have seen here in Europe (visiting stores in UK, Belgium, Germany and Spain), the fever for the Alfred Adult Beginner books, and the Kawai digital piano fever are pianoworld.com specific appearances only. Out on the street, they are of minor interest. Regarding method books, I couldn´t see any mayor preference for the one or other book, here. There are at least 2 dozens of german books, 1 dozen of english and 1 dozen of french methods available. Teachers stick with children to a book, but for adults the teachers whom I met give student specific classes based on a personal selection of classical repertoire. And it is made use a lot of scales and arpeggios for training body and finger postures, and how to derive different sound from them.

If you ask for a recommendation, I would first mention the books of the publisher Chester. The author Carol Barratt did some good job with her adults beginner edition, which you can find i.e. here.!

Edited by Marco M (07/08/13 04:28 AM)

#2114532 - 07/08/13 07:00 AM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: Marco M]
shinegamix Offline

Originally Posted By: Marco M
According to what I have seen here in Europe (visiting stores in UK, Belgium, Germany and Spain), the fever for the Alfred Adult Beginner books, and the Kawai digital piano fever are pianoworld.com specific appearances only. Out on the street, they are of minor interest. Regarding method books, I couldn´t see any mayor preference for the one or other book, here. There are at least 2 dozens of german books, 1 dozen of english and 1 dozen of french methods available. Teachers stick with children to a book, but for adults the teachers whom I met give student specific classes based on a personal selection of classical repertoire. And it is made use a lot of scales and arpeggios for training body and finger postures, and how to derive different sound from them.

If you ask for a recommendation, I would first mention the books of the publisher Chester. The author Carol Barratt did some good job with her adults beginner edition, which you can find i.e. here.!

kawai is harderto find here, while korg roland and yamaha are evrywhere and even get sold at the department stores.

#2114540 - 07/08/13 07:44 AM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: Allard]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Allard
[quote=casinitaly

"c-d-e", or do you Italians learn the minor keys first? :p

[/quote]

lol...ok smarty pants smile You got me on that one.

and btw - (I don't think it is always clear) -I live in Italy, but I'm not Italian smile , I'm Canadian.

#2114554 - 07/08/13 08:43 AM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Today at work, I was chatting to a colleague who was born and educated in Poland. He recounted how music was compulsory throughout primary and high school. He was embarrassed that he had to stand up and sing in front of everybody. School syllabus included music history & Chopin.... He played piano and guitar but his class mates learnt different instruments..... Playing music was an integral part of life then, some 40 years ago.
This is an interesting finding.

#2114647 - 07/08/13 12:30 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: TimR]
yester Offline

Originally Posted By: TimR

As an American who lived in Germany for 5 years courtesy of the US Army, I can tell you two things.

1. You sit on the left, drive on the right.
2. You keep driving because there ARE NO PARKING SPOTS!

Lol, made my day, you are absolutely right.
But on the other hand - we have a lot of freeways without speed limit, very good car radios and we are skilled to eat while driving - so why should we want to stop keep driving? grin

Edited by yester (07/08/13 12:34 PM)

#2114674 - 07/08/13 01:37 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
I started with Beyer, then Czerny op. 599 books and then Clementi Sonatinas, Beethoven and so on. Of course methods vary from country to country and from school to school and obviously some adults may want to follow a different path and ask the teacher for it.
At our school we also take theory+solfège lessons, 1 hour a week.

#2114820 - 07/08/13 06:04 PM Re: How do Europeans learn piano? [Re: Bobpickle]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: yester
... why should we want to stop keep driving? grin

Ya gotta stop to buy beer!

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
...Presumably... similar... their brains, eyes, and bodies to us grin

I do knoooo? Are you sure? Rod Serling might be hiding in the corner.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, 0987654321, anotherscott, A Guy, Anne'sson, 31 invisible), 1546 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327548 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission