Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2114229 - 07/07/13 02:19 PM Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition?
Lisa C Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon

Sunflowers (Wang)
Schubert Sonata in A Major (Op 120)
Chopin Piano Concerto in F minor, Larghetto

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2114233 - 07/07/13 02:30 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks for the link. These kids are scary!!!

And the sound quality of the transmission is amazing.

OMG, Carmen Knoll just played an incredible Chopin op. 10 No. 4.

#2114249 - 07/07/13 03:02 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: jazzyprof]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Thanks for the link. These kids are scary!!!

And the sound quality of the transmission is amazing.

OMG, Carmen Knoll just played an incredible Chopin op. 10 No. 4.

And her Chopin Opus 22 was pretty incredible as well. wow

I really like the sound of the Yamaha concert grand.

The "Round One" performances are being transmitted live all afternoon.

Edited by carey (07/07/13 03:11 PM)

#2114257 - 07/07/13 03:18 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: carey]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

And her Chopin Opus 22 was pretty incredible as well. wow

I really like the sound of the Yamaha concert grand.

Yes, her op. 22 was one of the best I've ever heard. I think we'll be hearing a lot from young Carmen Knoll.

That Yamaha CFX has such a beautiful, pure, singing tone.

#2114281 - 07/07/13 04:05 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Very cool, they provide MIDI files of all the previous competitors or the more detailed versions to play on your own Yamaha Disklavier.

#2114299 - 07/07/13 04:32 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Eric Lu is playing now - AMAZING !!!!!!

Finished with a masterful rendition of the Chopin 4th Ballade !!

Edited by carey (07/07/13 04:45 PM)

#2114309 - 07/07/13 05:05 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Whoa, was not expecting to hear something jazzy among all the classical pieces.

Evren Ozel playing
Nikolai Kapustin - Concerto Etude Op. 40 No. 6 "Pastorale"

Edited by Allan W. (07/07/13 05:06 PM)

#2114310 - 07/07/13 05:07 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Nothing is playing for me.

#2114350 - 07/07/13 08:00 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

No surprise, Carmen Knoll and Eric Lu advance to the next round.

#2114359 - 07/07/13 08:41 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: carey]
Quaver Pyjama Offline

I prefer very much the sound of a Steinway. Usually I hate stereotypes or monopolies, but the steinway has such an amazing sound! ...for me, much superior to that of that Yamaha...

#2114825 - 07/08/13 06:11 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Quaver Pyjama]
Piano Person16 Offline

A lot of them are complaining about the piano; it's dry. Plus the right pedal is a bit annoying.
Carmen did an extraordinary job with all her repertoire. I expect her La Valse and Chopin 2nd sonata will be no less fantastic.
Eric is great too. I'm looking forward to his 118! And everything else he'll play.
I also predict Yuanfan to be a finalist.
Other contenders will be Evelyn Mo and Chaeyoung Park. I haven't really listened to everyone yet, so can't comment on everyone, but the updates from competitors are really funny.
Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)

#2114841 - 07/08/13 06:48 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Piano Person16]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano Person16
A lot of them are complaining about the piano; it's dry.

Maybe they were brought up on Steinways and so have internalized its characteristic sound, full of overtones.

#2114851 - 07/08/13 07:18 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Piano Person16]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Is it a CFX? If so, in general that piano seems to be considered quite sensational and has been used in competitions and concerts of the highest level. Of course, any specific piano of any make may have problems.

The piano didn't sound dry to me.

#2114862 - 07/08/13 07:53 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Piano Person16]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

It is. I added reverb, too bad they can't. grin

#2114869 - 07/08/13 08:12 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]

I wish they'd have an audience and allow applause in these competitions. Maybe the contestants would at least crack a smile if they added those two components. Virtually every of the ones I've watched looked utterly grim before, during, and after their performance.

At the Mannes IKIF competition they do have an audience but don't allow applause which I think is silly. My guess the main reason is time constraints but how much extra time can it add?

#2114897 - 07/08/13 09:26 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Damon]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

Hardly surprising the sound is dry - the microphones are almost under the lid of the piano. No professional live classical piano recording is done so close. I made a recording for a piano showroom's website once with similarly positioned microphones, with the same dry sound: later that day, a concert pianist came to give a concert on the same piano. When he saw the positioning of the mics, he immediately asked them to be moved several feet further away.....

BTW, the piano is the Yamaha CFX.

I've been to several piano recitals where the BBC was broadcasting live, or recording for future broadcast. They used an omnidirectional microphone suspended from the ceiling about 10 feet away from, but pointing towards the piano, and about 15 feet above the floor.

#2114901 - 07/08/13 09:49 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: bennevis]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Hardly surprising the sound is dry - the microphones are almost under the lid of the piano.

I was under the impression it was some performers complaining. It wouldn't matter to them where the microphones were. It is so dry on my speakers it sounds like they are playing in a room made of felt and cork.

#2115181 - 07/09/13 02:14 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: bennevis]

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Hardly surprising the sound is dry - the microphones are almost under the lid of the piano. No professional live classical piano recording is done so close. I made a recording for a piano showroom's website once with similarly positioned microphones, with the same dry sound: later that day, a concert pianist came to give a concert on the same piano. When he saw the positioning of the mics, he immediately asked them to be moved several feet further away.....

BTW, the piano is the Yamaha CFX.

I've been to several piano recitals where the BBC was broadcasting live, or recording for future broadcast. They used an omnidirectional microphone suspended from the ceiling about 10 feet away from, but pointing towards the piano, and about 15 feet above the floor.
I think it's highly unlikely that any negative adjective, including "dry", applies to the CFX. It's possible that this particular piano is dry, but I think it's more likely that any perceived negative tonal qualities are because of the mike placement or something else in the recording process. The CFX seems to an extremely well received piano by top professional pianists.

#2116224 - 07/11/13 05:17 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: pianoloverus]
kck Offline

We've been enjoying it! The competition is local to us and I wish we could go watch the finals. One of the contestants we know indirectly as well. Amazing!

#2116277 - 07/11/13 07:00 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: pianoloverus]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I wish they'd have an audience and allow applause in these competitions. Maybe the contestants would at least crack a smile if they added those two components. Virtually every of the ones I've watched looked utterly grim before, during, and after their performance.

Thanks to LisaC for opening the door to this remarkable webcast. I've only listened to Carmen Knoll's semifinal so far, and I'm mighty impressed. Her stage presence is that of an experienced concert artist -- not too flashy, but a very expressive face and close attention to what she's doing. Nothing like grim, though that may well be true of others.

And her playing is magnificent. I loved her Chopin 2nd sonata. Her ability to sustain a singing melodic line while keeping the bass notes alive is amazing, especially in softer passages. The octave technique in the scherzo was flawless, and its beautiful trio melody was beautifully shaped and nuanced. And her La Valse was every bit as impressive. I spent a lot of time last month following the Cliburn Competition, and this playing is easily good enough to have made the semifinals there. It's encouraging -- and depressing for us old duffers -- to hear such gorgeous music coming from one so young. Can't wait to hear more from these contestants.

#2116293 - 07/11/13 07:20 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I missed it, but I hope to catch up. I will also try not to miss the finals.

Music is my best friend.

#2116294 - 07/11/13 07:22 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Emanuel Ravelli]

Originally Posted By: Emanuel Ravelli

Thanks to LisaC for opening the door to this remarkable webcast. I've only listened to Carmen Knoll's semifinal so far, and I'm mighty impressed. Her stage presence is that of an experienced concert artist -- not too flashy, but a very expressive face and close attention to what she's doing. Nothing like grim, though that may well be true of others.

And her playing is magnificent. I loved her Chopin 2nd sonata. Her ability to sustain a singing melodic line while keeping the bass notes alive is amazing, especially in softer passages. The octave technique in the scherzo was flawless, and its beautiful trio melody was beautifully shaped and nuanced. And her La Valse was every bit as impressive. I spent a lot of time last month following the Cliburn Competition, and this playing is easily good enough to have made the semifinals there. It's encouraging -- and depressing for us old duffers -- to hear such gorgeous music coming from one so young. Can't wait to hear more from these contestants.
I should have said "before and after" the performance but omitted "during". Without any audience and audience applause virtually all the contestants take a one second perfunctory bow and almost run off the stage. They virtually all look like they are suffering at the end. It's probably hard to do a decent bow when no one is applauding or at best a few judges applaud for 5 seconds.

I've seen the same thing at the Mannes IKIF competitions where they do have a small audience but do not allow applause. I know most of these contestants have played many competitions probably with these same conditions, but I find the idea of playing a 45 minute recital and getting no applause at the end quite unpleasant. Similarly the idea of having to bow but without any applause to bow to must feel awkward.

#2116379 - 07/11/13 10:54 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: pianoloverus]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I find the idea of playing a 45 minute recital and getting no applause at the end quite unpleasant. Similarly the idea of having to bow but without any applause to bow to must feel awkward.

I agree that polite applause from a few judges seems like scant reward for the work it took to prepare a 45 minute recital. But the ones I've heard so far can at least leave the stage with a smile, knowing they've accomplished making music that ranges from unbelievably skilled to sublime.

If you haven't already heard him, you might give a listen to Eric Lu's semifinal recital. His Mozart was crisp, clear and lively -- a real burst of musical sunshine. But the topper was his performance of all of Brahms Opus 118. The sense of architecture, the breathing, the carefully balanced inner and outer voices, and the flow all showed incredible maturity and sensitivity. His playing of these pieces reminded me of Perahia's: warm, rich, full-bodied, like a good cup of coffee.

#2116783 - 07/12/13 10:31 PM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

And the winner is Eric Lu! Carmen Knoll came in second. Congratulations!

#2117411 - 07/14/13 08:48 AM Re: Anyone watching the MN Intl Junior Piano E-competition? [Re: Lisa C]

Has anyone tried watching any of the archived perfomances or announcement of the winners on LiveStream? The links don't work for me.

Edit: They seem to be working now. I think they just had 30+ seconds of silence at the beginning of each video which is why I thought they weren't working.

Edited by pianoloverus (07/14/13 08:53 AM)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (AndresD, Al LaPorte, 36251, AZ_Astro, AndrewJCW, 35 invisible), 1498 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156082 Topics
2292059 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An original piece on home-made electric guitar
by gsmonks
Today at 07:12 AM
Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard disk?
by CarloPiano
Today at 05:04 AM
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission