2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
eccp19 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Teachers,

On a pay per lesson basis, how do you treat situations where parents ask to cancel because their child has not had enough practice time due to being away for part of the week?

In my case, the student in question is usually well-prepared for lessons and I have a good relationship with the family.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Practice is important so is consistency of lessons on both the part of the student and the teacher. There is always something to learn.Charging for lessons monthly might help too.

rada

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eccp19
On a pay per lesson basis, how do you treat situations where parents ask to cancel because their child has not had enough practice time due to being away for part of the week?

My first reaction is to reiterate that lessons are not commodities and should, as a general rule, not be taught on a per lesson basis. There are obvious exceptions which we don't need to reiterate here, but for teaching students throughout the school year, teachers are well advised to introduce parents to the concept that they're purchasing an educational process very similar to taking a course at a local university. Best results are achieved by constant attendance, even when lesson preparation falls short.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Students (or their parents) are often tempted to cancel lessons for lack of practice. It's up to you what to do in such a situation: many of us charge tuition, based on weekly lessons, so that we are not hurt in the wallet when little Johnny doesn't show up.

Educationally, rada and John have both explained it well: regular lessons are best, even in the absence of practicing.

If you see your student weekly, you could simply explain you will charge for the missed lesson (even if you are paid per lesson), though I doubt the parents would accept this. But that's ok, they would just decide in such case to send little Johnny over for his lesson.

Basically you have to decide which is more important to you: students' home practice or your steady income. It's a goofy trade-off, but there we are.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Mmm... so the parent is punishing YOU for their child not practicing. Is that something you wish to continue?

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
Summer time, ok. Regular school term, NO. Reiterate the fact that the kid works best under a regular lesson routine. Even if he does not practice, coming for lessons still helps since you are supervising his playing/practice. Tell the parent that weekly lesson is hard enough, and you don't want him to practice the wrong stuff.

Last edited by asiantraveller101; 07/02/13 11:17 AM.

JN

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I started telling parents that I don't accept cancellations, I will accept rescheduling if there is enough notice.

I have them pay at least a month in advance, and the lesson has to be made up within the month. If they can't fit into a slot I offer them, they lose a lesson they've paid for.

So far so good.

(I don't teach piano, but I do teach private lessons - many of the problems piano teachers have, I have too).

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
eccp19 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Great thoughts. I am transitioning over to a tuition basis which makes 100% more sense than a per lesson basis as some teachers here have brought up. Thanks for the posts.

B
B
Not really anything you can do if you are going pay per lesson basis. Try even going pay a month in advance and I about guarantee you that will stop. If you lose a student or two because of it, they weren't serious anyway (their parents at least!)

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
There is ALWAYS something productive to be done at a lesson. After a week, it will be soon enough to check for rough spots, to find out what's been forgotten or to lay the groundwork for moving further into a piece. Rhythm practice. Follow the leader ear training, improv games, etc. etc. Stress to the parent the value in the opportunity to do these change of pace exercises. Do your best to to send the child home with a "victory" so the child answers positively when asked how the lesson went and you should see these kinds of requests reduced. Heck, I was at time tempted not to practice so I could talk my teacher into some easy duets. ; )

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
That makes me so mad for you! Just because a kid doesn't do homework doesn't mean he should miss the next day of school, why should piano be different? If you miss something, you just work harder to catch up.

I would make sure to talk to the parent about how the student gets even more behind when he not only doesn't do homework, but doesn't come to his lesson. At the least, the lesson can just re-cover what was learned. There is no way the student could have retained it for so long.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You will be pleasantly surprised at how few cancellations you will get when you have a no-cancellation policy. Suddenly kids are sick as much, and they actually practice more because their parents know they are still paying for the lessons.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
L
L
I agree with KurtZ.

I don't accept lack of practise as an excuse. But every once in a while, it happens to the best of us. I encourage my students to come anyway, saying "OK, we'll do something different this week!"

I use this as a great opportunity to explore something else. To record some pieces from the student's repertoire, or to talk about jazz, or improvisation, or how a piano works, OR sight-read some duets!

I often find that these lessons are the most productive and the most fascinating!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Stanny
You will be pleasantly surprised at how few cancellations you will get when you have a no-cancellation policy. Suddenly kids are sick as much, and they actually practice more because their parents know they are still paying for the lessons.

But you will also see kids show up who ARE sick, and then it is very hard to tell them that they can't be there.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Gary,

It's not hard at all. You stand "en loco parentis". Grow a spine.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Hi Gary,

I don't follow the logic of these three sentences.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Get your money up front ... with the agreement that cancellations
are to the account of the student.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

It takes "spine" to have a sense of FAIRNESS. If you have a policy that will not allow a sick child to postpone a lesson, then it is unfair to turn away a sick child who shows up for lessons. That is the specific thing that was being addressed.

I also think it wrong to not allow for sickness. Any business contract between businesses will have clauses for such events. And IF you are giving rules for parents to abide by, then you are not "en loco parentis" because you are addressing the parents, and giving them rules.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I have a strictish no cancellations policy which works most of the time although I am forever having some parents trying to get round it or ignore it. This does mean that some kids turn up to lessons when they are sick which is unfortunate. Ideally I would like to be able to say that cancellations due to illness were acceptable but it just ends up getting abused. Every time someone wants to cancel they will simply say they are sick in order to get round your policy.

Something which happens frequently is the parent will call me to tell me their child is sick and ask if I would still like them to come to the lesson. If I say no then technically it's me who has cancelled and they are then entitled to a make up or refund. This can be a problem.

Going back to the original question though, cancellations due to lack of practice are not at all acceptable.

Last edited by Chris H.; 07/16/13 12:47 PM.

Pianist and piano teacher.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Chris
Every time someone wants to cancel they will simply say they are sick in order to get round your policy.

That is very true. That is why I stop asking the reasons for canceling and start offering unlimited make up lesson with no credit forward next month and no refund as my backbone.

Parents can cancel as much as they want, but they also pay for those lessons that they cancel, and need to find extra time to make those lesson up. Furthermore, now my scheduling is automated by website software, so, I do not need to deal with scheduling the make up lesson, parents just have to do it themselves online

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission